Found Deceased SC - Celia Sweeney, 28, Charleston, Feb 2020 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Pommy, but it was actually the "double death investigation" that seemed odd. In retrospect, I suppose that is the only way to term it until his autopsy is complete. Sadly, I have a friend of a friend who appears to have known BC and her opinions may be clouding my thinking on this. :oops:
Oh! Well see, that's what I get for assuming. But yeah, they're definitely going to investigate both of them.

I'm sorry for your friend. :( MOO

It strikes me extremely odd that they’re not yet saying a cause of death for Buddy. Are they considering other POIs?
If they release his cause and manner of death, it will come after his family is notified. In some cases, they will delay sharing that information in order to give the family time to process it. MOO

It strikes me extremely odd that they’re not yet saying a cause of death for Buddy. Are they considering other POIs?

They won't release a COD until his autopsy is complete. I believe the Spartanburg Coroner's Office is small, so may take a day or two. I just did a search for "Spartanburg County Coroner" on FB and see they are dealing with other deaths, one of which was being called to a fatality in a MVA an hour or so ago. All JMOO and local-ish knowledge.

They won't release a COD until his autopsy is complete. I believe the Spartanburg Coroner's Office is small, so may take a day or two. I just did a search for "Spartanburg County Coroner" on FB and see they are dealing with other deaths, one of which was being called to a fatality in a MVA an hour or so ago. All JMOO and local-ish knowledge.

I would hope a possible murder suicide would take precedent.

MAR 3, 2020
Mystery surrounds death of woman who went missing from Charleston
[...]

Carr’s body was found inside the home, said Tommy Crosby, a State Law Enforcement Division spokesman. It has not been disclosed where Sweeney’s body was found.

[...]

Not much was known about Carr or the circumstances leading to his death.

A criminal background check through SLED revealed a handful of arrests dating back to 2010, when he was convicted of public drunkenness in Beaufort. Carr also had two open drug cases pending against him.

SLED records show Carr faced one count of distributing or manufacturing methamphetamine and one count of meth possession. Both charges remain open in Spartanburg County court but eventually will be dismissed in light of the defendant’s death.

[...]

I’m glad the coroner’s office isn’t quick to say this is a murder suicide. It just doesn’t make sense. For one, it seemed like she didn’t know the man and two the man had a dog - don’t murder/suicides end up in everyone dead? So sorry to be blunt in all this but it seems in all the cases I’ve seen the man normally kills the dog(s) as well.
Does anyone know what happened to his dog that he supposedly lived with?

Sorry..just reread earlier posts. She was from MA and currently resided in Charleston. SOOO sick and tired of women being murdered by..well better wait to see what the circumstances are here but still so sick of it. :mad::mad:
<modsnip> I personally think it's good that we can see clear patterns and trends to murders here since it can serve as guidelines for what to avoid.

I’m glad the coroner’s office isn’t quick to say this is a murder suicide. It just doesn’t make sense. For one, it seemed like she didn’t know the man and two the man had a dog - don’t murder/suicides end up in everyone dead? So sorry to be blunt in all this but it seems in all the cases I’ve seen the man normally kills the dog(s) as well.
Does anyone know what happened to his dog that he supposedly lived with?
I agree. Some law enforcement may not have paid a lick of attention to a dead dog but there are definitely elements here that don't fall neatly into the patterns and trends - or at least not based on the information we have so far. For it to have taken some investigating to find her does make me think there was no known relationship between them and murder suicides nearly always do have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bartender says she saw man & woman before disappearance, deaths | Exclusive

As far as what happened last Friday, we started piecing together a timeline thanks to a bartender who came forward. We learned that Sweeney and Carr were seen at the bar earlier on Thursday night into Friday morning. Sweeney told the bartender that she had brought Carr and two friends to the bar to get them out of her home. The bartender said that Carr was visibly intoxicated she refused to serve him. She said that Sweeney left the bar by herself without Carr and appeared sober.

As far as what happened last Friday, we started piecing together a timeline thanks to a bartender who came forward. We learned that Sweeney and Carr were seen at the bar earlier on Thursday night into Friday morning. Sweeney told the bartender that she had brought Carr and two friends to the bar to get them out of her home. The bartender said that Carr was visibly intoxicated she refused to serve him. She said that Sweeney left the bar by herself without Carr and appeared sober.
This just turns my stomach. :(

Also from the article:

“I asked how she was getting home. She said she had driven herself there. She wasn't intoxicated. I said, ‘Okay, girl, have a good night,’ and she kind of scooted out without a whole lot of notice from anyone else and left the bar,” said the bartender.

Welcome to Websleuths, Veragold, and thank you for the link. :)

From the article:

Walton2.jpg

Mark Dwayne Walton

[...]

On Wednesday, the Charleston Police Department announced the arrest of 36-year-old Mark Dwayne Walton who is charged with accessory after the fact of murder.

Walton is scheduled to have a bond hearing Wednesday afternoon.

[...]

Man arrested in connection to death of woman reported missing from Charleston
Walton was being held at the Al Cannon Detention Center pending a bond hearing Wednesday afternoon.

Man charged in case of Charleston woman found dead in Upstate apartment
Sweeney reportedly left the bar by herself early Friday morning in her own car. Her boyfriend reported her and her car missing later Friday.

(The last sentence here is in conflict with other reports which say friends and co-workers reported Celia missing.)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kr1230
Back