SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found this UID with a pic that seems to look similar to the pic in one of the links posted earlier and when I did the math and the possible age ranges the match is still possible. Also the LL bean brand figured in both cases so I wonder.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/593ufca.html

compared to
http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=hw&report=sp&ID=027

Besides the brand name figuring in both cases, I noticed the upper age range for the UID was 46 and if it was the same person DW's age would have been about 37. The UID also had info in the system to ID her but it was found that all that info was fake. Perhaps she had run away years before? She (the UID) had told officers that she was from a southern state & had falsely listed Kentucky instead of South Carolina.

Maybe these are two totally different people but I think the pics are at least similar and those other details caught my attention so I posted.

Whatever the result I hope she is found someday.

I found this UID with a pic that seems to look similar to the pic in one of the links posted earlier and when I did the math and the possible age ranges the match is still possible. Also the LL bean brand figured in both cases so I wonder.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/593ufca.html

compared to
http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=hw&report=sp&ID=027

Besides the brand name figuring in both cases, I noticed the upper age range for the UID was 46 and if it was the same person DW's age would have been about 37. The UID also had info in the system to ID her but it was found that all that info was fake. Perhaps she had run away years before? She (the UID) had told officers that she was from a southern state & had falsely listed Kentucky instead of South Carolina.

Maybe these are two totally different people but I think the pics are at least similar and those other details caught my attention so I posted.

Whatever the result I hope she is found someday.

Unfortunately, there is an EXTREMELY large gap in the UID's height (69in) and Dail's height (60in). Plus, the nose on the UID appears to be slanted in a more upwardly direction, while Dail's is slanted in a more downwardly direction. IMHO, at least, I don't think it is a match.

But I do share your hope that Dail is found someday. Next week will be the 17th anniversary of Dail's disappearence... To me, that is too long for her family to go without knowing what happened or where she is. Praying that someone speaks and solves this case.

We are fast approaching the 17th anniversary of Dail's disappearence, and still no news on Dail. There are so many questions that remain- What happened that night after leaving Jungle Jim's? Who could have taken this young girl away from her family? Where is Dail today? Hopefully this will be the year that someone finally speaks, and brings Dail's family some kind of acutal closure.

Unfortunately, there is an EXTREMELY large gap in the UID's height (69in) and Dail's height (60in). . .
I noticed the number difference in height but I also notice that the number 9 and the number 0 are next to each other on a keyboard and so I have to wonder, given all the other similarities in the two cases, if some sort of typo could have taken place, either in the original data or in the copying to various websites. If the height difference in numbers had been 5 foot vs 5 foot 7 inches or say 60" and 65" I would have more confidence in the height discrepancy.

As to a slight nose difference: There was a large time gap between the two pics so I am thinking there might be some differences, both in slight physical changes & also there might be some difference in camera type and angle of the face when photographed. To my eyes the differences were slight enough to not entirely preclude a match.

I think a typo is less likely. If you go back and look at the information on the websites, you will see that the UID is actually listed as 5'9". I just converted it to inches, which would be 69 in, since that is what they have Dail's height listed in (60 in). I can see where they do have similar features, but there is SOMETHING (I am not quite sure what exactly) that is off when you put the 2 pictures side by side, and about the same size, that is off enough it screams NO in my head.....

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/dinwiddie.html

This is another link to a page with information on Dail, and an additional picture for you to see and compare. There is just SOMETHING that says No to me. I wish I could figure out WHAT it is that is making my spidey scenses all tingly.

I think a typo is less likely. If you go back and look at the information on the websites, you will see that the UID is actually listed as 5'9". I just converted it to inches, which would be 69 in, since that is what they have Dail's height listed in (60 in).. . .
Whether you type it in as 5' 9" or 69" the 9 is still next to the 0 on the keyboard and both the number 69 and 5' 9" have that number nine used, so it could have originally been a zero in either case or the other way around. The height listed as 60" could have been originally 69. (Although I figured the family or relations might have spoken up if Dail's height was incorrect on websites.)

There is still another possibility that I have not mentioned before now becuase it is much less likely in my opinion but there might have been a gland malfunction that cause unusual growth in those years & thus both numbers could be correct.

To me, there are enough similarities to warrant a closer look by those with the means to double check things. I keep thinking of another UID case I recently read (wish I could remember which one it was so I could link it) here on websleuths that said the right match was submitted and ruled out 4 times before DNA finally proved it to be correct. And I know of other cases where an UID was listed in a very incorrect age range which further delayed the identification. Such cases have lead me to take with a large grain of salt the absoluteness of info about UIDs and so when enough data matches a UID to a missing person case I tend to sit up and take notice.

As for your "spidey sense", I have no idea what might be setting off your feelings. For all I know you may well be right . . . . . .but I figure this person has stayed missing for so many years for one of only a handfull of possible reasons:
1.She may have runaway and never been found and is alive.
2. She may have run away and later died and been buried under another name if the false ID was not discovered.
3. She may have been a victim of foul play and been disposed of in such a way or in such a place that no remains have yet been found.
4. Whether runaway or victim she may have died and the remains found but failed to be ID'd for some reason.
(There are more possibilities but the list is not an endless list and the number of possibilities is not all that large.)
However if the case is one of those kind not yet identified after all this time even with people on the web constantly looking over UIDs and comparing them to missing persons then it might be due to an error of some sort that is causing the true match to appear unlikely.

If Dail's case were not very old I would not be looking for such extraordinary possibilities.

Of course she may be alive and well somewhere for all I know. I am only trying to look at all possible solutions of the case so no stone gets left unturned.

With the recent news in the Jaycee Dunger case, it gives that little part of your heart that wishes that Dail was just gone of her own accord or will be rescued from some pychopath's clutches a major twinge of hope... We can only pray that the day will come soon where Dail will be back home, no matter how or why.

SC-Dail Dinwiddie - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Bumping for Dail.... 18 years later, we still want answers....

Bumping for Dail... 17 years later, waiting for answers.

I was a teenager when Dail went missing and recall hearing about the case on tv. I found the case to be so scary, because she wasn't that much older than me. I can't believe that it's been 17 years. Her family needs answers. Where ever you are Dail, I hope your okay.

I know this is unlikely, since Dail's DNA is in CODIS (as is this Doe's) and it's probably already been compared (although Dail's profile didn't get entered until 2006ish and who knows when this Doe was put into CODIS). I'm ignoring the slight age difference (Jane Doe's oldest estimated age is about 4 years younger than Dail) because Dail looked really really young.

http://www.doenetwork.org Case File 148UFAL.

Unidentified White Female

Located on October 16, 1997 in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama
The victim is believed to have been deceased for a period of up to 1 - 1 1/2 years before discovery.
Cause of Death: Homicide
Skeletal Remains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15 - 19 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10"- 5'1" (147-155 cm)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder length dark blond or light brown hair with a possible reddish tint. Her eye color and weight couldn't be determined.
Clothing: She may have been wearing a white with blue broad stripes casual, sleeveless top, size unknown, which was found near the skeletal remains outside of the plastic sheeting. No jewelry was recovered.
Dentals: Up until 1-1 and 1/2 years before her death she had excellent dental care with several fillings. Her right front tooth was chipped after her remains were recovered. Dental records are available.
DNA: Available in CODIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
On October 16, 1997, a hunter discovered the skeletal remains of this unidentified child in a remote wooded area of Madison County, Alabama, near Indian Creek Road, South of Kelly Spring Road. Indian Creek Road is near a major roadway - Alabama Highway 53. The highway is a connector that runs between Huntsville, Alabama and Interstate 65 in Ardmore, Tenn.
It is possible the killer came from another state and chose the location at random.
The body was wrapped in plastic sheeting commonly used in construction. The plastic was secured with gray duct tape.
Investigators believe that sometime in late 1996, the nude body of the teenaged girl was dumped in Madison County's Indian Creek.
The body drifted down the creek, and washed onto the bank. It was found by a hunter.

This month will mark 18 years since Dail went missing. Come home soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back