SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good point about who paid for the ticket.

There is a theory in sleuthing that if more than two people "know" something, one of them will eventually spill the beans.....for example, one may tell out of fear that another one tells first and gets some amount of limited immunity.

I don't believe more than two people know what happened and really I think only the perp knows. Dail was small, would have been very easy to grab and overpower. I guess the only four possibilities are:
1) she accepted a ride from someone she knew and thought she could trust,
2) she was abducted by someone driving by
3) an accident occurred and rather than report it the other party disposed of her
4) she attempted to walk home and was abducted on the way ( the last is the most doubtful theory in my opinion).

NUMBER 1 is correct. I thought he was someone who could be trusted also.

Aphra, I doubt Dail is still alive because I read on one of the sites that she had asthma very bad and took shots several times a week and always had her inhaler with her and used it daily. I would think just a day or two without medicine, especially during a big stressor, would have been more than her body could handle, but that's jmo. Of course I would love for Dail to be alive but if she isn't, then I'd life for the Dinwiddie family (and us) to have answers and closure.

I definitely would be glad to drive to Cola to meet with the detective. I don't mind contacting him (whoever he is) and seeing about meeting, unless one of you would rather do it.

If we should meet with a detective we would need to get a list together of questions and be organized.

Also, my gut feeling is that whoever did this has probably (statics show) committed similar crimes before or after Dail. I've been looking at similar cases in the southeast trying to find a pattern.

I'm going to look more at the MO of Rivera, I don't think he's ever been totally eliminated. I've even thought of writing him in prison just to see if I could get anything out of him IF he is the perp in this case.

Also, please remember Paula Merchant disappeared without a trace from Cola in 1999.

AND I found this which has me puzzled http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4015733&blogID=132731397 If you scroll down it says about Dail "she ain't the only girl that never made it home from 5pts." Any of you have a myspace account and can contact this poster and ask her what she knows about other missing girls from 5pts????

Sorry to keep adding so much, but I went to the myspace site of Willie, the guy who made the above one for Dail, and it's creepy---he's from Columbia, lives in Chicago now, is really into music and obviously drugs. I don't know, Dail doesn't seem like someone who he would have hung out with so why does he have a myspace page on her? Weird. And, on his myspace page of her it's just a picture, not a mention at all that she is missing. Again, weird. If he were someone concerned for her wouldn't he have mentioned that she is missing?
Let me know what y'all think. Here's the link to his myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=4015733

AND Willie writes in another myspace account that "There is no place more beautiful in the world than Edisto Avenue, Columbia, SC in Spring. Waccamaw is a close second."
Edisto Avenue runs parallel to Harden Street which is where Dail was last seen and Waccamaw is between them. Both of these roads end not far from 5 pts.

I have already talked with him. You can request information from him, but he gives you politically correct verbiage. I don't see any reason to talk with him. Send a Certified letter requesting complete disclosure of any and all information related to this case. Ask him what other departments have information related to the investigation. If you have any resistance, call THE STATE NEWSPAPER. The media is exactly who they don't want you to contact.

Bumping for Dale. Seems we have a new poster with information.

If anything, five long years of chasing shadows has made coping tougher.

Dan and Jean Dinwiddie understand that time is against them. They embrace hope - the hope that daughter Dail is somewhere out there.

"I run to the mailbox every day to see if there's a letter," her mother said. "Or if there's a phone call I think maybe it's Dail calling just to hear my voice or see if I'm all right."

Dinwiddie vanished five years ago this week after rushing from a Five Points bar about 2:30 a.m. There's been no sign of her since.

"This year we're not going to do anything special," Dan Dinwiddie said of the fifth anniversary of Dail Dinwiddie 's disappearance on Wednesday. "I don't know that it does any good, and emotionally, it's very hard on us."

Her father struggles to remain upbeat. "I've not given up hope that she's somewhere," Dan Dinwiddie added. He doesn't say the word "alive," but he believes she is.

<modsnip>

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/13/2399289/dail-dinwiddie-case-bedevils-consumes.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/13/2399289/dail-dinwiddie-case-bedevils-consumes.html

As Police Closed In, Evonitz Admitted Crimes to His Sister
By Maria Glod
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 3, 2002; Page B01

COLUMBIA, S.C., July 2 -- As he drove from his South Carolina home to Georgia and into Florida last week, Richard Evonitz knew he was only a few steps ahead of police trying to arrest him in the rape of a 15-year-old girl. Sensing that there was no escape, he began calling
relatives with cryptic confessions.

Evonitz, 38, said he had killed someone and that he had committed "more crimes than he can remember," Richland County, S.C., Sheriff
Leon Lott said today. Evonitz mentioned only scant details about that killing, but it was enough to determine that he was not referring to
the slayings of three Spotsylvania County, Va., girls, Lott said.

As Spotsylvania detectives await results of DNA and other scientific tests to determine whether Evonitz killed Sofia Silva, 16, in
September 1996, and Kati Lisk, 12, and her sister, Kristin, 15, in May 1997, investigators are just now beginning to piece together the past of this seemingly normal man --

<modsnip>

"Suspect stated he has a problem with masturbating in front of girls," the report said. "When he feels the urge he drives around looking for a girl 18-19 years old short in height and has brunette hair."

Authorities said Evonitz has lived or traveled in California, Virginia, Florida and Texas. In the past few years, he returned to South Carolina and recently moved into a small garden apartment with his 19-year-old wife.

<modsnip>

Staff writers Patricia Davis and Josh White and researcher Bobbye
Pratt in Washington contributed to this report.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.true-crime/J6pnr-b-Ias

S_Finch thanks for bringing him up. When i started reasearching this case, he is a person that immediately came into my radar. The only problem was i couldn't place him being in Columbia, SC at the time. At the time he was in the Navy, and who knows where they stationed him at. I know he was married at the time. Some questions i have are: Was he a U2 fan? Was he known to hang out at the group of bars dail was last seen at?

His known victims were brunettes in their teenage years. Dail was a blonde but she was pettite just like his other victims.

It would be interesting to know if he has been ruled out as a suspect.

Bringing this over from another thread. I had never read this before. Just trying to consolidate info.

Hi Kentjbkent ! I recall that description, too. I wonder though, since it was over 18 years ago (and serial killers do have to start somewhere), perhaps in his younger years he wore his hair longer? That is why I wondered if his affiliation to Shaw was on a civilian basis...:waitasec:

And I was living in Columbia when Dail disappeared, but seem to recall that there was a witness who gave a description of an old pick up truck and long shaggy haired male??

Bringing this over from 1990's Missing of Bridge Pearl Clodfelter

Bridget Pearl Clodfelter
Race: White
Weight: 110
Height: 5' 3"
Sex: Female
Hair Color: Bleached Blond
Eyes: Blue

Smyrna Police Department - 678-631-5146
Narrative:
Bridget Clodfelter was last seen at between 12:30am and 1:00am on Saturday, September 5, 1992. She had left her apartment on Lake Park Drive walking to the Buckboard, a local country dance bar about one mile away. She was to meet friends there but never arrived and has not been seen or heard from since that night. She was wearing white jeans, black top, black snake skin cowboy boots.

The route she is believed to have taken to the Buckboard would have been north on Lake Park Drive, then east on Windy Hill Road.

Anyone with information on Bridget CLodfelter is asked to contact the Smyrna Poice Department at 678-631-5146.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/case_detai...477277,00.html"

"Sept 5, 1992 was a saturday, just looked it up. So technically if the report is correct when it says 12:30 -1 am on Sept 1992, then it was on what would have really been considered Friday night.

I clicked on this thread because the year, 1992, caught my attention. Here are some similarities (far fetched perhaps) to a case I follow closely.

The Date--Dale Dinwiddie disappeared at about 1:30 am on September 24,1992. She was leaving a bar in downtown 5 points Columbia and was walking to another bar (or posssibly home but that is doubtful).

The City Both of these occured in their respective state capitol cities (Smyrna is just out from Atlanta)

Time of disappearance both occured close to 1am

Physical and other similarities both are female caucasians, both are of small stature, both disappeared without a trace while supposedly walking at night

There may be more similarites, IDK."

It seems that Sheriff Sloan knew these suspects, was willing to compromise his standards by trading a 20 year sentence and I am willing to bet this person or persons were with law enforcement. Who else would he be willing to drop charges for information? Still covering for the real truth!!!

There has been a coverup from the get-go. Dail tried to walk home at 2 a.m. right through a VERY VERY bad area. I personally know someone who was beaten into a coma there late one night. She was probably raped & killed by some drug addicted . The City of Columbia, its civic backers, The State newspaper, and columnist Kathleen Parker have done their best to pitch the fantasy that Columbia doesn't have a racial violence / gangs / drugs issue.

just curious... why do you think they are intent on portraying columbia that way if they want dail to come home?

There has been a coverup from the get-go. Dail tried to walk home at 2 a.m. right through a VERY VERY bad area. I personally know someone who was beaten into a coma there late one night. She was probably raped & killed by some drug addicted . The City of Columbia, its civic backers, The State newspaper, and columnist Kathleen Parker have done their best to pitch the fantasy that Columbia doesn't have a racial violence / gangs / drugs issue.

Why don't you ask Leon Lott if their are gangs in the city. It seems they threatened him, under the impression that he was selling on their "turf".

Has anyone ever considered Larry Dewayne Hall for Dail's disappearance. He is suspected in the alleged abduction of Pearl Clodfelter, which happened a few weeks early in Smyrna, Ga. He is currently serving time in NC prison, has admitted to 4 murders (and then recanted some, if not all), is liked for a total of 54 murders/missing person cases. He traveled extensively around the south, partaking in Civil War reenactments.
http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

I still say for Allen Sloan to put his reputation in jeopardy and forgive a possible 20 year sentence, this is LAW ENFORCEMENT. They will not prosecute their own, will cover up the information, and prevents 'good' cops from speaking out.

The other thing that almost no one knows is how high this goes politically.

I am going to be in Columbia, SC over this coming weekend. I will have a lot of time on my hands (don't ask), and am interested in looking into any Missing Persons / Unsolveds in the are. Any direction / guidance would be appreciated (there's a lot of "noise" out on the internet.)

I know a little about the Dinwiddie case... others?

Just point me,

John Allore
www.theresaallore.com

I am going to be in Columbia, SC over this coming weekend. I will have a lot of time on my hands (don't ask), and am interested in looking into any Missing Persons / Unsolveds in the are. Any direction / guidance would be appreciated (there's a lot of "noise" out on the internet.)

I know a little about the Dinwiddie case... others?

Just point me,

John Allore
www.theresaallore.com

Paula Louise Merchant 1992, Lori J. Richardson 1999, and there must be more because it's a big city but this is all NamUs has as far as while females. I'm not being racists, I just feel this predator has a very specific type of victim. JMHO

Why don't you ask Leon Lott if their are gangs in the city. It seems they threatened him, under the impression that he was selling on their "turf".

Of course there are gangs in Cola. We have gangs in our small town 50 miles S of Cola.

Dinwiddie: Columbia, SC. I just came from Five Points. I took a lot of pix, and drove around the area.

I'm not getting a gang / drug vibe with this case at all. It makes no sense (explain to me the motive?).

Yes, there is an area to the East that is an old, historically black neighborhood, go a little farther and you hit The Projects (think BO /The Wire), but so what?

Someone followed here from Jungle Jim's / they picked her up on Harden.

Anyone want me to photograph anything / look at anything in particular while I'm here? I got another 24 hrs.

Cheers

Continued (I don't know what happened)
was that the "fingers" should have been on the driver's side but DD claimed that they were on the passenger side which is the only side he would have been able to see if the sighting occurred as he said it did. A good defense Attorney should have made mincemeat out of him but Gatward didn't.

The others obvious problem was that DD's initial description of the driver was longish blond hair with a mustache. RB had short dark brown hair and was clean-shaven. If the initial description of the driver is completely different from the guy who is "positively id'ed, you would expect the witness's credibility to bel seriously compromised yet, somehow, the jury see eat to have believed him.

JE, part owner of Haugen's, gave testimony that might have shot down DD's claim that his sighting occurred on Friday, but because he waited until November to come forward, his credibility is questionable. The sighting of the keychain would certainly change this. If there had been not mention of the "nautical keychain" in any of the reportage, and JE introduced it on his own, that would change everything. But what is the real story?

I am inclined to believe that RB is a perfectly decent guy who feel victim to bad circumstances, aggressive Law Enforcement and loosely legal representation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back