SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It’s Radar Online, fwiw.

Murdaugh’s lawyer has requested Alex be given until May 1 to respond to the case brought by the insurance company Nautilus.
From OP's quoted link dated 4/14/23, I think this describes how AM operated perfectly:

Nautilus said Alex had a lawyer friend represent Satterfield’s family. The insurance company said unbeknownst to it, “Murdaugh was not a bona fide insured seeking coverage, but rather was coordinating the handling of the claim with Fleming—including sending correspondence related to the case on Murdaugh’s firm’s letterhead and preparing and delivering disbursement sheets—such that Fleming and Murdaugh were effectively co-counsel.”

The insurance company accused Alex of threatening to sue it if it didn’t pay up. Nautilus paid out the settlement but learned Alex and the co-defendants never paid out the money to the housekeeper’s family.

“That no effort was made by Westendorf, Palmetto, Fleming, or MKF to ensure that the funds intended for the Satterfield family were received by the Satterfield family, violating their obligations regarding escrow funds and their disbursement,” the suit read.

Alex and his pals are accused of stealing over $4 million owed to Satterfield’s family. Satterfield’s son claims Alex stole one insurance payout for $3.8 million and another for $500k.

On May 1, 2023, Murdaugh filed a response to Nautilus’s complaint, admitting that he
  • approached the Satterfields and encouraged them to seek a settlement,
  • arranged for CF to represent the Satterfields and for CW to serve as the personal representative for Gloria’s estate,
  • lied about his dogs causing Gloria’s fall to force his insurers to make a settlement payment,
  • cannot remember why Gloria was at his home on the day of the accident (after previously claiming that it was not for work purposes), and
  • deposited the money from the settlement into an account he owned rather than to the Satterfield family.

@TheEricBland

Seems there is buzz because liar Alex now says he allegedly made up the story that Gloria Satterfield didnt fall down Moselle stairs by his dogs. Since when did Alex become the modicum of honesty and credibility.

A colleton county jury said that he’s not credible and judge gergel in his later order with Laffitte said he’s not credible. Additionally, we recovered money for our clients from parties other than Nautilus for breaches of their duties to our clients and other claims.

Technically the money that Nautilus paid never came to our clients. It was stolen by Alex so there is an argument that they still owe it to our clients by releases signed by the parties.

These insurers had investigators investigate the claim thoroughly before they paid on the claim. Insurers are not in the business of paying out millions of dollars frivolous or fraudulent claims.

Additionally they also had lawyers who did their jobs and investigated the claim before it was paid. This is nothing but noise. Just gutless people trying to continue to victimize Gloria’s siblings and children

Let us not forget that these very same Lawyers, who are now peddling this false story and new narrative about Gloria’s fall, are the same Lawyers who advised Alex to knowingly, voluntarily, freely, without duress or coercion give the Satterfields a $4.3 million judgment for the money he stole in the spring of 2022. Is it surprising now that this double murderer and liar will do and say anything to try to get out of that $4.3 million judgment?

What ill gotten gains did Nautilis insurance company pay to the Satterfields or their attorneys? Not one red cent. They have nothing to get back from the Satterfield’s because the money was stolen by Alex. Nautilus is doing the right thing by suing Alex that’s where they will go and get their money back. EB

Last edited:
There has always been a great deal of skepticism about AM's account.

The issue seems to be that the original settlement may have been fraudulent to begin with. It seems that Eric Bland is trying to collect the $5,000,000 from somebody. The insurance company doesn't want to write another $5,000,000 check. AM doesn't have $5,000,000 (or at least has hidden it well). The Satterfield's original lawyer, apparently in on the scam, probably doesn't have $5,000,000 lying around. It was brought up at AM's trial that the Satterfield's have already collected $7,000,000 from third parties. AM also seems to be throwing his old friend CF under the bus. I can't think of any other case I have followed with so many trial lawyers involved.

If she did not fall because of the dogs, what happened?
Was she pushed, did she just miss a step and fall, was she hit with something? I am curious what the story is going to be about what caused her to fall if it was not the dogs.

I doubt we will ever know.

I don't think it's ever been reported (patient privacy rules) if GS had other medical issues such as diabetes where she may have had a dizzy spell that morning. I also doubt the Murdaughs provided GS with a Blue Shield Gold Plan.

We do know that GS survived in the hospital for a month where she also had a stroke while recovering from the fall. IMO, unless GS received a blow to her head before she hit the pavement (not ruling out), I'm inclined to believe GS had pre-existing medical issues when she fell down the stairs. I don't think it is necessarily common that a fall from entry steps is fatal for a woman of GS's age. MOO

Appears that EB believes Gloria did trip over the dogs and AM is lying, again.

GS didn't remember the dogs or how she hit ground which is why I'm inclined to believe it was either a medical event or she was struck-- causing her to go down and lost consciousness. JMO

ETA: EB doing a press conference on Monday

Remember her rib fractures were on the opposite side of her body than the subdural. To me (from Day #1) that indicated she was either struck in the ribs and fell hitting her head OR struck in the head and fell injuring her ribs.

Remember her rib fractures were on the opposite side of her body than the subdural. To me (from Day #1) that indicated she was either struck in the ribs and fell hitting her head OR struck in the head and fell injuring her ribs.
It could be a contrecoup head injury.

What causes bruising and internal damage to the brain?​

When there is a direct blow to the head, the bruising of the brain and the damage to the internal tissue and blood vessels is due to a mechanism called coup-contrecoup. A bruise directly related to trauma at the site of impact is called a coup lesion (pronounced COO). As the brain jolts backward, it can hit the skull on the opposite side and cause a bruise called a contrecoup lesion. The jarring of the brain against the sides of the skull can cause shearing (tearing) of the internal lining, tissues, and blood vessels leading to internal bleeding, bruising, or swelling of the brain.

Alex Murdaugh “invented the critical facts” surrounding longtime housekeeper Gloria Satterfield's death in order to receive millions of dollars in an insurance settlement, his attorneys said Monday.

“No dogs were involved in the fall of Gloria Satterfield on February 2, 2018,” Murdaugh’s attorneys said in the legal filing. After Satterfield's death, Murdaugh “invented Ms. Satterfield’s purported statement that dogs caused her to fall to force his insurers to make a settlement payment.”

In the document, the lawyers said that Murdaugh not only made up that story to collect on the Nautilus insurance policy, "he acted to assist the Satterfield estate succeed in a claim on those facts, which the representatives of the Satterfield estate believed were true."

Jim Griffin, one of Murdaugh’s lawyers, told NBC News that the Satterfields and their lawyers should be added to the Nautilus lawsuit “because they have ultimately recovered the fraudulent insurance proceeds.”

Here is what I don't understand about this......maybe it has been discussed and I have missed it.

We know she fell on the steps at his house. To me, this is still an accident. Why does the fact that the dogs were not involved make it less of an accident? Shouldn't his insurance pay either way? She fell. Does it matter how she fell?

The only way I see it not mattering is if she just tripped maybe? No water, no stick, no other object...she was just clumsy and tripped on the stair? Does that not mean it is an accident?

Just questioning....

Here is what I don't understand about this......maybe it has been discussed and I have missed it.

We know she fell on the steps at his house. To me, this is still an accident. Why does the fact that the dogs were not involved make it less of an accident? Shouldn't his insurance pay either way? She fell. Does it matter how she fell?

The only way I see it not mattering is if she just tripped maybe? No water, no stick, no other object...she was just clumsy and tripped on the stair? Does that not mean it is an accident?

Just questioning....
In order for there to be a payout, there has to be proof of Murdaugh’s liability. IMO, a trip and fall with no particular cause could lead to a more thorough investigation by the insurance company (e.g., could it have been that Gloria’s fall was caused by a medical event that was outside of the Murdaughs’ control)? Reporting that Gloria herself blamed the dogs for her fall at the time of the incident ensured that a payout would be received, IMO.

AM muddied the water here in only a manner that he's capable of!

Negligence is well, negligence -- and a fall on your property causing injury to a party is a claimable event-- but to what degree is another question the insurer would want to investigate.

It's also well-known in the industry that a negligence claim due to an accident caused by the policyholder's pet is generally a slam dunk (i.e., no lengthy investigation and quick settlement).

That said, I believe it was AM that initially provided that when attending to GS, she told him the dog(s) caused her to fall, and although AM now alleges he lied in his claim that his dogs caused the accident, I've not heard AM say that 1) he lied about GS telling him the dogs caused the accident; or 2) The dogs were present and GS told him it was the dogs and AM's lying today, or 3) GS told AM the dogs caused her to fall but he didn't believe her (the dogs were still kenneled), or 4) GS told AM she was hit and knocked to the ground, or 5) GS said nothing and didn't remember anything.

As I said, AM muddied the waters!

On the other hand, I understood that GS told staff at the hospital she had no memory of how she ended up on the ground.

IMO, I don't think we will ever know the truth here. I think GS loved and trusted AM and would say whatever he asked her to say including saying nothing at all.

The bottom line is that Nautilus Insurance is either going to attempt to claw back any payment or pledge to pay while conducting an investigation according to the standard industry practice when no Murdaugh is involved.

As part of the investigation, I believe Nautilus will also seek GS's medical and hospital records -- which sounds to me is something that EB doesn't want to happen and therefore sticking firm to a dog caused GS's accident.

And shame on AM for putting the Satterfields in this position. :mad: MOO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member