SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember where I read the news, but supposedly numerous local and state agencies are involved in this investigation. I think HCPD is taking this case very seriously and working as diligently as possible.

Vinny, there is over 8 known unsolved missing/murdered females in Myrtle Beach/Horry Co., SC in as many years. Imo, the unlimited and invaluable resources of the FBI BAU2 should have been requested long before HE vanished..
Although HE's disappearance may, or may not be related to the others. This is an extremely high number of unsolved missing/murdered women cases to ignore..

Vinny, there is over 8 known unsolved missing/murdered females in Myrtle Beach/Horry Co., SC in as many years. Imo, the unlimited and invaluable resources of the FBI BAU2 should have been requested long before HE vanished..
Although HE's disappearance may, or may not be related to the others. This is an extremely high number of unsolved cases to ignore..

There's an estimated 185,000 unsolved murder cases and SC has a fairly high solve rate.

Just because a crime goes unsolved doesn't mean adequate resources weren't invested. Even in cases where numerous federal and state agencies are asked for help, they have gone unsolved.

There's an estimated 185,000 unsolved murder cases and SC has a fairly high solve rate.

Just because a crime goes unsolved doesn't mean adequate resources weren't invested. Even in cases where numerous federal and state agencies are asked for help, they have gone unsolved.

I understand and "get it" that jurors need concrete evidence to convict a POI (yes, we no longer like circumstantial evidence as a whole in the judicial system), we have many more newer forensic "tools" that LE can use such as:

• GPS, pings, phone records, texts
  • SM databases and computer/internet harddrives
  • Video surveillance from homeowners & businesses
  • Live time alerts thru internet broadcasts
  • Larger rewards for information being offered via computer "broadcasts" of such
  • Specialized search teams and canine detection dogs
  • Currency transactions being more "digitized" than ever leaving a "path"
  • Advanced DNA and tDNA technology
  • Criminal profilers with a high degree of accuracy via FBI
That being said, what has been utilized in HE's case??? It's a case which in my opinion is very simple to resolve at face value if we implore the Occum's Razor philosophy.

moo

I think it was Mr. Elvis who made that comment about last person to admit to talking to her.

The police report does not say what day or time, the conversation with OM took place.
We do not know if the statement was referring to OM not admitting to talking to her . Also, we do not know if there was a phone number on Heather's call records that cannot be traced and that person has not come forward

In this case, I don't understand why the remarks of certain people, who are not LE or media members (who have obtained direct quotes from LE), are being stated as if the info is official evidence. Did LE inform TE what they uncovered every time they questioned somebody?

Can anybody name a recent case when LE gave investigation details to family members? Usually LE doesn't and that becomes frustration for the family members because they really don't know what's going on inside the investigation.

I have a question in regards to the word SEEM.
In this article it states:

"Elvis’ roommate, the police report said, told officers that Elvis “seemed like she was crying and upset” after Elvis reported a conversation with that man."
http://m.myhorrynews.com/news/local/aynor/article_e27b8722-81fa-11e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

The choice to use the word "seem", is odd to me. Wouldn't the roommate know if she was crying and upset? I wonder why it wasn't stated emphatically that Heather was crying and upset, just "seemed" like she was.

IMOO.

The use of the words "seemed like" stood out to me from the first time I read the report. Glad somebody else pointed this out.

No one is quoted saying this. They have other quotes in the article. So, her mom could have said part of that or all of it. Thanks for looking. I will keep looking too.

Oh good eye hockeymom. Tree quoted a para from the article but it isn't a direct quote from either TE or DE.

Another concept that goes against LE's current position of being very hush-hush is this: there is an element of a community that will start to impose it's own level of "justice".....I fear that vigilantism, crowd-mentality justice, a mob-mentality of "quick-justice" and vindication may set root.

Terrible every way you look at it.

As the saying goes, "Justice delayed is justice denied"....and people don't like that.

moo

not to imply these LEO might condone mob mentality justice-but I've heard it mentioned personally amongst smaller LE's that such behavior might make it easier to "take care of things".It also might work to create a more "compliant" mentality amongst perps who might think they'd be left unprotected to the whims of a mob. Kinda like either you tell me what you know or I can't protect you (and intentionally not releasing any info).
It seems to be much more prevalent in southern states :moo:

he said she spoke to her dad and bw....
“I don’t remember her receiving any calls unless someone called her and she just silenced it,” Shiraldi said. “I know she didn’t answer any phone calls.”
Where did he say she talked to her dad and BW. TE said he only received the text.

It is not just Myrtle Beach. We have hears nothing, or next to nothing from LE in many other MP cases, some going on years now. Examples, Holly Bobo, Kortne Stouffer, Lauren Spierer, Abigail Hernandez, Ali Lowitzer, and many others. If missing persons are crime victims, IMO, they are not going to be easy to find, because their bodies are hidden. It crimes down to luck, mostly, or confessions. Even if LE "knows" the who, they need to somehow find the bodies to make a case. Too many people think it is possible that at least some of these women left on their own, to be sure of a conviction otherwise.

IMO this statement is a stretch. Posting a song on Twitter IMO doesn't imply she either uses heroin or knows/comes in contact with people who do. MOO

I agree. I know a lot of people and knew a lot of people when I was 20, and I have never hung out with anyone who, to my knowledge, does heroin. Seriously, I know there are a lot of things you can't discuss here but dissecting her song lyrics to the point where people wonder if she did heroin is such an inappropriate stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not just Myrtle Beach. We have hears nothing, or next to nothing from LE in many other MP cases, some going on years now. Examples, Holly Bobo, Kortne Stouffer, Lauren Spierer, Abigail Hernandez, Ali Lowitzer, and many others. If missing persons are crime victims, IMO, they are not going to be easy to find, because their bodies are hidden. It crimes down to luck, mostly, or confessions. Even if LE "knows" the who, they need to somehow find the bodies to make a case. Too many people think it is possible that at least some of these women left on their own, to be sure of a conviction otherwise.

TRUE,but like I've said before-these are different times. We're moving into a world where SM can add more info. More eyes& ears. Look at how a lot of people have their phone around all the time. I know a lot of departments are slow to respond to changes cuz many of their veteran investigators keep on thinking they'll keep doing what's worked best. It used to be where very few people left the confines of their area. People knew people or families.
I'm not saying throw the doors wide open and tell everybody everything you know. I'm just saying keep an open mind and move with the times. Word spreads much faster nowadays. Utilize it & be willing to embrace change or you'll be left behind. :moo:

If LE knows who did it, but is not close to making an arrest, what would be reasons to hold a PC? What would be reasons to not hold a PC?

I wonder since it seems to have taken so much time for realization/action that Heather WAS missing if maybe it allowed the perp to move her to another MORE HIDDEN location in the proceeding days?
Maybe the timeline discrepancies is intentional? It sure does seem like there are an awful lot of missing not found in that area & little done (like pressers,info released) about it.
I've seen so many smaller LE stuck in the same pattern.These are new times with SM and increased cameras around. I know some bigger departments monitor and use SM frequently. It seems that HCPD can't even keep web pages updated...One would think SM doesn't really need much groundwork,expenses in order to utilize. Maybe they have no-one experienced in or fully versed in SM? That would seem to me to be a big mistake in these times?

Not sure about the SM issue.

But it's possible she was moved from one location to another.

It's also possible she could be on private property, not necessarily to the knowledge of the owner, but more because it's not a place LE would necessarily look, such as a remote area, or a vast area. She could be in another county or even state. Wherever she is, I believe the responsible person(s) was calculating, as opposed to dumping quickly or just finding what seemed like a remote place.

I don't believe she would be in the PTL area (which seems to be the obvious case) or even near the actual crime scene. There may be multiple scenes depending on how this unfolded and the concerns of the responsible person(s) in obscuring the crime and its evidence, and trying to ensure she's not found. I think the failure to find Lauren Spierer is due to these kinds of fears because of the greater story that would be told by the condition in which Lauren would be found.

What happened to HE may tell too much of a story about who and why, and the hard to find location is related to that.

Just my thoughts.

he said she spoke to her dad and bw....
“I don’t remember her receiving any calls unless someone called her and she just silenced it,” Shiraldi said. “I know she didn’t answer any phone calls.”
Where did he say she talked to her dad and BW. TE said he only received the text.

see quote in post #572. sorry, on my phone...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Not sure about the SM issue.

But it's possible she was moved from one location to another.

It's also possible she could be on private property, not necessarily to the knowledge of the owner, but more because it's not a place LE would necessarily look, such as a remote area, or a vast area. She could be in another county or even state. Wherever she is, I believe the responsible person(s) was calculating, as opposed to dumping quickly or just finding what seemed like a remote place.

I don't believe she would be in the PTL area (which seems to be the obvious case) or even near the actual crime scene. There may be multiple scenes depending on how this unfolded and the concerns of the responsible person(s) in obscuring the crime and its evidence, and trying to ensure she's not found. I think the failure to find Lauren Spierer is due to these kinds of fears because of the greater story that would be told by the condition in which Lauren would be found.

What happened to HE may tell too much if a story about who and why, and the hard to find location is related to that.

Just my thoughts.

Yes but why go to PTL? If this was someone she knew and trusted I don't see how they can hide for long.

If it wasn't...well that just makes things far more complex.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/local/aynor/article_e27b8722-81fa-11e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html

Here's the article where the date is quoted. Another sentence within the article gives info (false imo) that's not quoted info. Herein is the cause of the confusion about whether or not SS said HE did indeed take calls from TE and BW (SS doesn't say that he witnessed HE taking those calls imo).

Think the confusion is the result of a poorly written article.

The heading should read "MSM" or can N represent news?

Yes but why go to PTL? If this was someone she knew and trusted I don't see how they can't hide for long.

If it wasn't...well that just makes things far more complex.

I thought at the beginning that the car was planted. I still think that's possible, but if she was lured to PTL to facilitate a crime against her, I suppose it would be because either there is a connection to PTL and Heather's relationship with someone, or, it's an area she would view as a reasonable place to go to have privacy where it was considered safer than more public places.

But the PTL location has always bothered me. If she went there in the past with the perpetrator, it would be pretty stupid to have her car found there after she went missing. On the other hand, if it was a place she frequented with other friends or when she wanted to get away, the person might reason that it could appear to LE she was simply behaving as usual by going there, and then she encountered trouble at the hands of a stranger.

The car at PTL has just always seemed out of place to me.

And of course, if the relationship history is a distracting sidebar and she encountered an RSO or other nut in the course of going to PTL to collect her thoughts or even meet someone she knew, then as you say, it just gets more complex. And I suppose she could still be anywhere.

see quote in post #572. sorry, on my phone...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It is from this article and is not a quote by the date, and contradicts his actual quote. The following is said in the same article , "“I don’t remember her receiving any calls unless someone called her and she just silenced it,” Shiraldi said. “I know she didn’t answer any phone calls.” Terry said he received a text from her. To say this occurred would be speculation because we don't have any proof. And then would mean people would be leaving details out. Which I don't think is occurring.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/loc...722-81fa-11e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member