SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. With advancements in forensics you don't necessarily need a body. Any type of physical evidence could be enough.

They do need to have some kind of evidence that something bad happened to her, however, as well as clear evidence that one particular person caused the harm. I suspect the problem in many cases isn't proving the person is likely deceased, it's proving that the suspect is the one who did it.

I said it was my opinion that in this case, I believe a body is needed to proceed, unless there is a confession of course. Not in all cases.

Any type of DNA found on clothing, property or anywhere else that could tie a perp to HE would be enough. Could be a hair, drop of blood etc etc.

They do need to have some kind of evidence that something bad happened to her, however, as well as clear evidence that one particular person caused the harm. I suspect the problem in many cases isn't proving the person is likely deceased, it's proving that the suspect is the one who did it.

Depends on the level of circumstantial evidence they have in the case.

I was hoping she would be found by now. I am so fearful this is going to end up being another cold case unless she is found.

We probably don't know why there hasnt been another public call for volunteer search groups. I am hoping there is a reason for this and hoping LE is progressing towards a resolution quickly.

This is JMO and different people would handle things different ways, but if I ever had a family member missing and I got to the point where I felt that volunteer public searches using a bunch of people could be benefiicial, I would most likely proceed even if I was told by LE that they dont need any search help at this time. I would still try to work closely with LE and share all that is known, but I would not be able to just sit and wait if I got to the point where I felt progress was not being made.

We always hear about "protecting evidence" and it is very important, but finding a missing person first is most important to me, and that would be top priority in my book. Once they are found, then evidence would no doubt be found along with them. If an inexperienced search person happened to trample on a piece of evidence, I would much rather have that and have my loved one found than to not ever find them at all.

Its a fine line to walk and I would never want to ever alienate or go against LE wishes since they are doing their best., but I look at it like a supplement to their efforts and helping them. Having a bunch more boots on the ground looking for her would only seem to help IMO, if it seems they are at a stalemate in her location. It seems a lot of people are ready to help if they would just get the word that searches are needed and a public search is being scheduled.

Again, only if I got to the point where I felt there was not progress being made to find her. Its a fine line when that would be. It is probably always a grey area.

For all we know, there is good progress being made each day and maybe they are very close to getting the answers the family needs. I keep praying that day will come.

If the suspect gets a lawyer and stops talking to LE, how would LE apply pressure?

The pressure exists once the police have some proof or can make a case for jail time for any 'helper'.

I don't know that they have any such proof. I don't know what they know.

But I don't feel that all is lost yet, and I can see a number of scenarios where people might be motivated to talk.

I don't see this as an all or nothing case where Heather has to be found to advance the case farther, or someone has to be arrested to find Heather and prove she's dead.

There are likely a lot of dynamics and people tangled up in this case. I don't think LE is bumbling around with no clue about how those relationships and dynamics link up with each other and with Heather's disappearance.

We don't know who LE is talking to or what they're saying that is eating at a particular person and making them increasingly nervous. Depending on how LE incentivizes the giving up of information, anyone might start yapping.

Last night I noticed on the 48 hour crime map on HCPD's website that a a log of a "building/business check" was made around 11:49 pm on January 25th at a specific area on HWY 814. Could that possibly mean the people who own property at that location have been advised by HCPD not to leave the area & the officer did a check to make sure they were complying with their request?

Serious question.

I also noticed another "building/business check" was logged at PTL yesterday afternoon. So if nothing else--we know they are keeping tabs on PTL's location & activity in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you keep an eye on that site, you'll see that both are checked every day.

Reminded me of something when I first came to Heather's thread. We all use Google maps. Some of us go to street view and drive the route we think a person might have taken... put ourselves in their vehicle. Do you have an omg feeling when you go to someone's address and see them sitting in their vehicle at the end of their driveway?

I'm not losing hope on this being solved. How many weeks did we spend analyzing that damned white truck in the Mickey Schunick case only to find out LE already knew who they were looking for?

If the suspect gets a lawyer and stops talking to LE, how would LE apply pressure?

Maybe accidentally releasing things or letting things out through other sources. Maybe.
Or maybe releasing just enough info to let the court of public opinion be enraged.

Just thoughts.

I was hoping she would be found by now. I am so fearful this is going to end up being another cold case unless she is found.

We probably don't know why there hasnt been another public call for volunteer search groups. I am hoping there is a reason for this and hoping LE is progressing towards a resolution quickly.

This is JMO and different people would handle things different ways, but if I ever had a family member missing and I got to the point where I felt that volunteer public searches using a bunch of people could be benefiicial, I would most likely proceed even if I was told by LE that they dont need any search help at this time. I would still try to work closely with LE and share all that is known, but I would not be able to just sit and wait if I got to the point where I felt progress was not being made.

We always hear about "protecting evidence" and it is very important, but finding a missing person first is most important to me, and that would be top priority in my book. Once they are found, then evidence would no doubt be found along with them. If an inexperienced search person happened to trample on a piece of evidence, I would much rather have that and have my loved one found than to not ever find them at all.

Its a fine line to walk and I would never want to ever alienate or go against LE wishes since they are doing their best., but I look at it like a supplement to their efforts and helping them. Having a bunch more boots on the ground looking for her would only seem to help IMO, if it seems they are at a stalemate in her location. It seems a lot of people are ready to help if they would just get the word that searches are needed and a public search is being scheduled.

Again, only if I got to the point where I felt there was not progress being made to find her. Its a fine line when that would be. It is probably always a grey area.

For all we know, there is good progress being made each day and maybe they are very close to getting the answers the family needs. I keep praying that day will come.

Remains usually seem like the are stumbled upon randomly. I wonder how often those professional searches successfully recover a body. The thought of another cold case is very sad, but it's possible. It's frustrating knowing so little.

I was looking at HE's twitter and notice that she tweets other people, other people tweet her, and she retweets others. One thing I did notice is that she has no communication with her roommate on her twitter. I just found it a bit odd. My close friends and I are always commenting on fb and those with twitter are always retweeting things of those close with. Just an observation. Not sure it means much or even anything. I dont know how long they know each other because I have read so many different reports.

Heather DID have a private account which is not accessible for viewing.Unless you're one of the already approved ppl on her account. I never looked into it but quite often on your public account your private account is listed as follower or following.

ok, I'm thinking... thinking hard.

What if.... this has nothing to do with an older married man and his rightfully pizzed off wife?

Years ago, GMH kidnapped and murdered a woman near me. What if something similar happened? Sorry, I'm not seeing where some random couple is smart enough to hide a body so well that it's not found...

ok, luck might be on their side. his side, whatever.

But... I'm thinking of the what ifs...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What if.... this has nothing to do with an older married man and his rightfully pizzed off wife?

Years ago, GMH kidnapped and murdered a woman near me. What if something similar happened? Sorry, I'm not seeing where some random couple is smart enough to hide a body so well that it's not found...

Plenty of what-if scenarios that can't be ruled out. Just seems that given the dynamics of the case it would be more likely that it's someone she knows.

I completely agree with your sentiments. And there may come a time when the Elvis family has to make some decisions.
My hope is it never comes to that.

I'm not losing hope on this being solved. How many weeks did we spend analyzing that damned white truck in the Mickey Schunick case only to find out LE already knew who they were looking for?

OMG the dang blasted white truck!!!!!! I still shutter when I see one. Sigh, it became my great white whale.....:scared:

The other ex has never been cleared. I just find it odd that it is as if he was mentioned and forgotten about. Granted, I think it is highly unlikely, but still I don't know why there is no focus on him at all. I also think that until foul play is declared, all other possibilities should be explored. I understand why people feel that it may be not possible. But we do not know her. I can see people in my life doing it that others would say, they would never do it. What if that is what happened. I just wish that everyone should be open minded. I know I am. Anything is always possible.

Tried to link a page here ,but my laptop is not cooperating,ugh.Local News channel 4 had an update on the remains of a body found in Greenville .

OMG the dang blasted white truck!!!!!! I still shutter when I see one. Sigh, it became my great white whale.....:scared:

In the DC sniper case everyone was looking for a white work truck--who knew there were so many. And once the case was solved we found they were never in a white work truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01