SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #27***ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the bond hearing, the judge decides if he/she will grant bail and if so, how much. that is all based on what the DA argues regarding the accused i.e. they are a flight risk and threat to the community. the defendants lawyer gets to rebut based on whatever evidence they have to prove the contrary. it is also called an arraignment, IIRC.

i hope the judge doesn't set bond for them. more than a threat to the community, i believe these two will flee.

I completely agree. More than being a threat to the community, which they undoubtedly are, I believe if they post bond, there is a good chance we may never see them again. Or for a good while, anyway.

I find it hard to believe they would stick around for the trial...

this may help: http://www.bailbondinformationcenter.com/Denied-Bail.php

i really don't think that they will be granted bail, but lets say they are it's going to be an enormous amount. maybe one will be able to make bail, but both? i could see bail being a million dollars here. do they have that kind of money if they both have public defenders?

ETA: Casey Anthony's bond was 500k...she needed someone to post 10% of this...

seriously, thinking out loud to myself...they are not going to get bail...with all the traveling these two do, they are a flight risk.

Again, I completely agree.

Just wanted to add, that thanks to bail bondsman shopping here in Horry County, you can get a bail bondsman for *way* less than 10%. In some cases even less than 5%. I've seen bail bondsman post bail for as low as 1.5% / 2%. For violent criminals, none the less. Its unbelievable, but happens every day.

http://m.wmbfnews.com/#!/newsDetail/24685391

good point! you would hope that the HCPD kept a careful eye on them and followed them before they were arrested though. but, yes. i can see paranoia getting the best of them. at that point if they get and make bail, they will have to wear a device around their leg so LE could track their every move.

also, i hope that LE is tracking family members too...who knows maybe they've coerced family members to move evidence for them while they are in jail.

again, i don't see that happening. no bail!

please LORD answer my prayers - find Heather!

I think if by some small miracle they are granted bond, and are able to post it, you will see them on GPS tracking devices. And these are accurate to within 10 feet. They would be able to not only tell if they are at home, but exactly where in the home they are. They would have very limited movements, all of which would have to be approved before hand.

Not to say they couldn't / wouldn't cut them off and flee. But if they were to walk out of jail before the trial, I'm pretty sure LE would be keeping extremely close tabs on these two.

-Restless in Horry County

-JL

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3 Running Android 4.4.2 via Tapatalk Pro 4

This case shook/destroyed any confidence I previously had regarding GPS monitoring. This offender was mandated to home arrest and left home (unauthorized) often. While out and about, he shot a young girl, Raven. The trial was a real eye opener revealing the shortcomings of this technology. IMO, this should only be employed for the lowest risk offender. IMO, the Ms are not low risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-...company-technology-glitches/story?id=16610527

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._1_home-monitoring-home-detention-davis-trial

FWIW - Bond hearings down here allow the victim, or in the case the family, to address the court prior to the judge or magistrate making their decision. I've been in attendance (either for work) or some other reason - and it SEEMS that the judges and magistrates weigh what they say pretty heavily and give great consideration to it when making their final determination for bond.

The county Solicitor (Mr. Richardson) is on FM 99.5 WRNN right now. Will post anything significant he may say about Heather's case. They stream live for anyone interested:

http://www.wrnn.net/

He said they have gotten new evidence - but nothing 'significant' in the last few weeks. He said what they needed to have to make the charge - he said that much of what they took from executing the search warrants is still being tested. He said the evidence they had to make the charge of murder was 'the hill to fall off of' with any further evidence.

He sounded pretty confident about the evidence they have.

He said they have gotten new evidence - but nothing 'significant' in the last few weeks. He said what they needed to have to make the charge - he said that much of what they took from executing the search warrants is still being tested. He said the evidence they had to make the charge of murder was 'the hill to fall off of' with any further evidence.

I don't understand the fall off the hill part.

I'm out on location so hoping I can post ok from my phone now.

He also said there may be some more small charges. Something about having to file in Columbia.

He said the bond hearing will be heard b Jdge John.

I'll post more in a bit. Clients just arrived! Yikes!

i can't even see them having any loose ends to tie up...kids are with family, house is probably going to have a lien on it to pay court fees, etc...anything that needed to be signed can be done through their lawyers

i just don't want the two to ever be free again...i know innocent until proven guilty...but it's so obvious here

ETA: let's just put it this way, Myrtle Beach is my second home, by the time i become a full time resident (just a year or two), i want the trial over and the two locked up for good!

I took loose ends to mean that the M's would be making sure that HE and any evidence that has not yet been found, is still well hidden....but LE would be watching them every second if they were free on bail. Ignore me...I need more coffee. :coffeecup:

Regarding the bail hearing I wonder if the judge considers their ( the Ms) safety when considering what bail amount, if any, to set. It seems to me that the Ms safety would be jeopardized if they are released. Think of all the "threats" they received before they were named suspects and arrested. Now that they've been definitively identified as suspects it would seem they would be at greater risk at large in the community. Certainly something for the judge to consider. LE will end up side tracked taking numerous PRs from this family if they are released. Never mind all the other reasons they should not be released.
I also wonder if the fact that there is no body will come into play in setting the bail? Both sides could make arguments as to why this would be crucial to having a bond set or setting no bond.
Just my thoughts.

He also said there may be some more small charges. Something about having to file in Columbia.

:gthanks: for these posts, hoppy!!! You're awesome! :loveyou:

Regarding the bail hearing I wonder if the judge considers their ( the Ms) safety when considering what bail amount, if any, to set. It seems to me that the Ms safety would be jeopardized if they are released. Think of all the "threats" they received before they were named suspects and arrested. Now that they've been definitively identified as suspects it would seem they would be at greater risk at large in the community. Certainly something for the judge to consider. LE will end up side tracked taking numerous PRs from this family if they are released. Never mind all the other reasons they should not be released.
I also wonder if the fact that there is no body will come into play in setting the bail? Both sides could make arguments as to why this would be crucial to having a bond set or setting no bond.
Just my thoughts.

Yeah. No doubt will both sides try to convince the judge. I can see it going either way in this case.

The one thing about technology is sometimes it has inadvertent consequences. Like GPS tracking on ankles. I am sure whoever came up with it did not want it to be used for people that committed heinous crimes.
They most likely wanted it to be used to make sure people out on bond dont just run off. However more and more defense attorneys I am sure are bringing it up to try to convince a judge that even with their client who did a really bad thing they can still be out on bail and the GPS can guarantee they will come back.

What a lot of people quickly forget is that criminals will not think twice about breaking the law and may cut it off and run for it.

With this case depending on who posts bail will maybe help to keep them local if they get bailed out. Like if one of their relatives put up all the money the hope is they wont double cross their own relatives and make them lose their money or house.

Wonder what that means about the hill to fall off of. Does this mean what they have is better than anything else they could have to prove they did it.
A little confused because wouldnt a body being found be better than not having a body.

Could it mean that they are afraid that something may show them as not guilty.

It seems a little confusing about the hill.

I posted this in thread 20. I am bringing it over because it is an interesting read. It also could be useful information about this trial if Heather, Lord love her, is not found. I did not realize how many no body trials have occured.

Through October 29, 2013 (392 trials) (48 states, DC and Virgin Islands)(No cases found in: NH and IDAHO) (Approximately 46 dismissals, mistrials, acquittals or reversals on appeal for conviction rate of approximately 88%) (Approximately 17 death penalty cases)
(91% of cases involve male defendants with 58% of the victims being female)

http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

Sent from my celery phone from Tapatalk. Please ignore typos. My phone is lucky it is in one piece.

I posted this in thread 20. I am bringing it over because it is an interesting read. It also could be useful information about this trial if Heather, Lord love her, is not found. I did not realize how many no body trials have occured.

Through October 29, 2013 (392 trials) (48 states, DC and Virgin Islands)(No cases found in: NH and IDAHO) (Approximately 46 dismissals, mistrials, acquittals or reversals on appeal for conviction rate of approximately 88%) (Approximately 17 death penalty cases)
(91% of cases involve male defendants with 58% of the victims being female)

http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

Sent from my celery phone from Tapatalk. Please ignore typos. My phone is lucky it is in one piece.

That is interesting. Thanks for bringing this back over.

This seems to show that this case is a little unusual in that a woman is charged with murder and hiding a body when normally men 91% are. We do have a man charged too of course.

I am holding out hope that LE has really good evidence to prove their case.

I have a feeling this trial is going to be a complex one and it should be very interesting to watch it if it is televised. I miss Courtv but there are still a few channels that sometimes cover main trials. It will be interesting to see if this trial gets nationwide coverage or not.

I would guess the "file in Columbia" part would be Federal charges.

If you're using the Disney Dining plan -- just about everyone. If you try to book your dining reservations - even 3 months out -- you will usually find you might not get to eat every place you really want. We have made many trips to Disney -- and the dining planning is the thing I dread most - but ya gotta do it - and you gotta do it as far in advance as you can.

JMO
I personally love to be spontaneous when on vacation and hate to have too tight an itenery. I just hate when things become too much like work and feel pinned down to something. So I probably would not enjoy it as much as others would.

However I have made the mistake of not having enough planning and then we did not get to do things we probably should have done while on vacation. So there has to be a happy mix of planning and some free time to just explore and do whatever you want.

The main goal for me on any vacation is to relax and once I am there and see a beach and can get a drink in my hand, then no more planning needed. :floorlaugh:

ETA: One of the times while taking a vacation the place made us eat dinner with other strange couples at certain times and certain group tables. For us, it was just awkward and we felt very uncomfortable because we did not expect that and we just did not want to create small talk with strangers while eating. We started to skip our dinners and just order pizza in the room a couple of the nights. Other people probably like that sort of thing so I guess it depends on the type of people and everyone is different.

Ok - I'm back. For a few minutes anyway! LOL

The fall off the hill comment: He was kinda indicating that they have whatever evidence they need for the charges and that anything else that 'falls over the hill' will just be small stuff to add to the evidence gathered prior to their arrests.

He sounded pretty confident. Also - (and I don't think it prudent to explain the details) but I've been in a courtroom with Judge John presiding - and I think he is a sound judge.

He said that normally he would file (in Columbia) the day before the bond hearing hear in Horry County - but that in this case - he will probably file in Columbia on Tuesday. He said he expects the hearing to happen at 10 - 10:30 on Monday. I think we can put some weight into that since he named the judge - so it's definitely on the Monday morning agenda for Judge John's courtroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshy