SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #27***ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case shook/destroyed any confidence I previously had regarding GPS monitoring. This offender was mandated to home arrest and left home (unauthorized) often. While out and about, he shot a young girl, Raven. The trial was a real eye opener revealing the shortcomings of this technology. IMO, this should only be employed for the lowest risk offender. IMO, the Ms are not low risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-...company-technology-glitches/story?id=16610527

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._1_home-monitoring-home-detention-davis-trial

i remember the failing gps device in the Jaycee Dugard case :

'Neither Garrido's regular interviews with his parole agent nor mandated visits, both scheduled and surprise, by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation revealed the crime. The GPS device that tracked Phillip's movement certainly didn't note that he'd imprisoned and raped a missing girl at his own residence.'

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/sexual_assault/jaycee_dugard/6.html

The thought absolutely sickens me.

^j^ Heather ^j^

me, too. honestly, that takes such a higher level of.... of.... ohwow, I can't think of an accurate word! if such a twisted, demented, just plain depraved (am I doing ok here?!) method of disposal can be proved, I think the death penalty should be put to use, sooner rather than later.

I've had such an aggravating day, but knowing these thoughts must dance in the heads of Heathers loved ones makes me realize my frustrations are superficial.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JMO but maybe LE picked up possible DNA evidence during initial search and by the time they did the big search resulting in arrests, they had matched it to Heather.

IIRC, the initial warrants, earlier in the case, were for cell phone records, financial documents and surveillance video on the property.

ETA: computers

I think this is going to be a very complex trial. You are charging two people with murder without a body. Did LE find evidence at PTL? How much of it was lost due to perhaps not realizing the significance of it until later? Why did it take them 2 months to get a search warrant? Did they not have much evidence before? Didn't LE say that the search at the house just helped to tie up loose ends, though?

Out of all the no-body trials in SC posted above, look at how many confessed, led LE to the body, or got a lesser sentence. How many have been sentenced to LWOP without confessing?

If this case did not have the amount of attention, tension, and pressure that it did, would LE have arrested them 2 months later?

BBM--Good question.

Their individual banking records for purchases, made between Dec 1 and Feb 21, will also provide even more details as to where they went, what they did and what items or products they purchased in the days before and after Heather's disappeared.

Their phone records and those of any other members of their household (calls, text and data) as well as the Ping locations will provide more corroborating evidence.

Even newer vehicles, if they had navigation or a service like Onstar, will paint even more of the picture.

Local surveillance footage will add even more layers.

Evidence found in and on the vehicles, the property and inside the home will be added to the mix.

Then they can compare the spoken word of the suspects to the above details.

Of course, there are probably members of different communities that can also attest to having seen one or both of them in certain locations at particular times.

There may even be witnesses who have given LE evidence or testimony against the couple.

And last but not least, their own statements and online activity, statements or lack thereof, and their online searches will be used against them.

It sounds like the M's are in deep doo doo.

Their individual banking records for purchases, made between Dec 1 and Feb 21, will also provide even more details as to where they went, what they did and what items or products they purchased in the days before and after Heather's disappeared.

Their phone records and those of any other members of their household (calls, text and data) as well as the Ping locations will provide more corroborating evidence.

Even newer vehicles, if they had navigation or a service like Onstar, will paint even more of the picture.

Local surveillance footage will add even more layers.

Evidence found in and on the vehicles, the property and inside the home will be added to the mix.

Then they can compare the spoken word of the suspects to the above details.

Of course, there are probably members of different communities that can also attest to having seen one or both of them in certain locations at particular times.

There may even be witnesses who have given LE evidence or testimony against the couple.

And last but not least, their own statements and online activity, statements or lack thereof, and their online searches will be used against them.

It sounds like the M's are in deep doo doo.

that's a great point! just think maybe they are caught on camera in Walmart, Target or some other store purchasing items that could be used to get rid of a body, etc...

I'm sorry, I need some help.... read quickly earlier, saw that charges are to be filed in a different county.... didn't I see that? why? against the Ms? I can't find link now.... if someone could point me back to that, I'd appreciate it. tia!

IIRC, the initial warrants, earlier in the case, were for cell phone records, financial documents and surveillance video on the property.

ETA: computers

If they did not find DNA on the first search, then they must have found something of major significance in the later one, to come up with murder charges two days later. I know DNA can be done in two days...though it seems unlikely it happened here IMO. I still think they must have seen or found something on the first search to suggest a murder had happened...maybe from the computers/phones . JMO

Tonight at 6 - New details on Moorer home revealed in police report
Posted: Mar 11, 2014 2:46 PM PDT
Updated: Mar 11, 2014 2:54 PM PDT
By WMBF News Staff - email

Coming up on WMBF News at 6 p.m., we have startling new details on the condition of Tammy and Sidney Moorer's home from the police report made on the day they were arrested.

via
http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=24947349

If any locals can post an update on this, I would greatly appreciate it, since this should be on now! TIA! I just saw this and wanted to post it ASAP. I apologize if someone has already covered it! :seeya:

ETA: I found a live link, but I'm not sure if they've already discussed Heather's case
http://www.wmbfnews.com/category/235957/wmbf-live

I want to believe that Heather, a tech savvy 20 year old, either forwarded her communications to either a friend, family member or some cloud (data storage site.) Heather's records, journals and communications are going to be pivotal to proving who wanted to hurt her.

With all the suspected fake accounts, set up by one or both of the Ms, technology will expose this with IP and ISP data. Also, everyone has a writing voice and a good analyst can testify to whether or not it is likely that TM was the author of any significant posts.

I think this is going to be a very complex trial. You are charging two people with murder without a body. Did LE find evidence at PTL?
Yes, LE said they did.

How much of it was lost due to perhaps not realizing the significance of it until later?
Good question. Maybe none if they actually thought foul play was involved but had no legal way to classify it as such. On the other hand, maybe a lot. LE has not yet said what they were thinking at that exact time.

Why did it take them 2 months to get a search warrant?
Sometimes it takes that long for forensics of different types to come back. What if they had 400 different surveillance tapes to go through, catalog and determine times that did or didn't fit with not just the Moorers, but anyone else on their look-at list? That's not quick work.

Did they not have much evidence before?
They had enough to keep looking in that direction. Without a body, I have to think they'd want everything they could get.

Didn't LE say that the search at the house just helped to tie up loose ends, though?
I did not see that wording. I saw "According to the agency the warrant was part of an effort to “identify potential evidence based on new information obtained through expert analysis of previously seized surveillance tapes in the area.”
Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/02/21/heather-elvis-case-arrests-made/#JmmDMrpzGU75oXYB.99

I think they knew the evidence they needed would be at the house, but they had to come up with a valid reason for a search warrant. For anything. And that is what they did.

Out of all the no-body trials in SC posted above, look at how many confessed, led LE to the body, or got a lesser sentence. How many have been sentenced to LWOP without confessing?
There is a list here of convictions all over with no bodies. It is hard to tell which ones are LWOP, since some of them are quite old. In some of them, they got life, but with the possibility of parole. In others, they were executed, though sometimes not for the actual murder on this list. In others, somebody confessed to something that caused the defendant to be found guilty, but it wasn't usually the defendant doing the confessing. There's even a couple of Not Guilty's in here. Almost all of these are little known cases, though, and all were prosecuted without a body.
http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

Fascinating and frustrating that 25 years (sometimes less) of the person who killed another is the only cost for the murdered person's life.

If this case did not have the amount of attention, tension, and pressure that it did, would LE have arrested them 2 months later?
That depends on the LE department. It is my opinion that there are some LE departments that just let cases die a quiet death if no one is a squeaky wheel. It is also my opinion that any case that has squeaky wheels is more likely to get more attention. The same as everything else in life.

When/if one/both of them is acquitted, or receives a lesser sentence, then it will matter. It's not a good thing for LE to arrest people because of how the public will respond if they don't.

Do you have proof that LE arrested the M's because of how the public would respond if they didn't?

I think this is going to be a very complex trial. You are charging two people with murder without a body. Did LE find evidence at PTL? I believe so, in the respect that they had evidence before home/property search & they have determined she was murdered there. How much of it was lost due to perhaps not realizing the significance of it until later? We don't know what they found & when. Why did it take them 2 months to get a search warrant? LE stated they had recently received the analysis report of surveillance videos. Did they not have much evidence before? Apparently, what evidence they had wasn't enough or pointed enough towards the Moore's for a warrant until report came back that they were caught on video. Didn't LE say that the search at the house just helped to tie up loose ends, though? Don't know, must have missed this, we know they got DNA from the last search of the house & their property/vehicles and after this search they laid the kidnapping and murder charge.

Out of all the no-body trials in SC posted above, look at how many confessed, led LE to the body, or got a lesser sentence. How many have been sentenced to LWOP without confessing? Doesn't mean they shouldn't prosecute murders though does it?

If this case did not have the amount of attention, tension, and pressure that it did, would LE have arrested them 2 months later? Yes, it came down to the most thing evidence and they have it.

:seeya:I tried to answer your questions in red, best I could & IMO.

***Snipped for space***

What do you and others feel the word "THINK" means?

"Alright, we think we can get the murder charge.’ We showed that to the judge and, of course, we got an arrest warrant.” "

***snipped for space***
To me, "think" in this context means: "upon considering everything we know and all the evidence we have, there is a probable chance that, even without a body, an intelligent group of 12 people will see this evidence the same way I, and all the people I have collaborated with, see the evidence."

I'm sorry, I need some help.... read quickly earlier, saw that charges are to be filed in a different county.... didn't I see that? why? against the Ms? I can't find link now.... if someone could point me back to that, I'd appreciate it. tia!

I believe that it was the solicitor going to file maybe the financials in Columbia?? I can't find it right now but I will keep looking.

Tonight at 6 - New details on Moorer home revealed in police report
Posted: Mar 11, 2014 2:46 PM PDT
Updated: Mar 11, 2014 2:54 PM PDT

Coming up on WMBF News at 6 p.m., we have startling new details on the condition of Tammy and Sidney Moorer's home from the police report made on the day they were arrested.

via
http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=24947349

If any locals can post an update on this, I would greatly appreciate it, since this should be on now! TIA! I just saw this and wanted to post it ASAP. I apologize if someone has already covered it! :seeya:

ETA: I found a live link, but I'm not sure if they've already discussed Heather's case
http://www.wmbfnews.com/category/235957/wmbf-live

Some insight on why they said the children were safe.

A police report from February 21 - the day Tammy and Sidney Moorer were arrested at their home on Highway 814 - indicates more about their home life at the time of their arrest. It states that the whole family was home and asleep in the same room when police and SLED agents arrived to execute their search warrant.

"Three firearms were out in the open at the time. Two long guns were leaning against the wall while a compact pistol rested on the night stand beside the bed," the report states.

The home was noted to be unsanitary, with rotting food on the kitchen counters, bedrooms in an "unlivable manner," and the back yard peppered with animal waste.

This information was forwarded to the Department of Social Services for further investigation. DSS confirmed that the Moorers' three children are safe, and they are involved in the investigation with Horry County Police.
https://www.facebook.com/wmbfnews/p...17451671719/10151995127366720/?type=1&theater

Story just posted cut and pasted below. http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24946609/report-numerous-guns-found-in-search-of-moorers-home

Report: Several guns found in search of Moorers' home
Posted: Mar 11, 2014 4:55 PM EDT Updated: Mar 11, 2014 6:42 PM EDT

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - New information released in the investigation into the disappearance of Heather Elvis offers more insight on the couple accused of kidnapping and killing the 20-year-old Socastee woman.

Tammy and Sidney Moorer are charged with kidnapping and murder for the purported slaying of Heather Elvis on Dec. 18 at the Peachtree boat landing.

A police report from February 21 - the day Tammy and Sidney Moorer were arrested at their home on Highway 814 - indicates more about their home life at the time of their arrest. It states that the whole family was home and asleep in the same room when police and SLED agents arrived to execute their search warrant.

<Mod Snip>

Dee we posted at same time ha,ha. If all of them were sleeping in 1 room with guns around them. IMHO they were really worried, paranoid that someone was coming after them. I wonder if they would have shot at LE? The filth of the home for some reason I am not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red carpet fiber