SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #30***ARREST**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I saw that too, so I checked Nevada and several other states, like Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia, thinking maybe they eloped since she never mentioned their wedding, only the honeymoon. But yesterday's article says the wedding took place right there in Myrtle Beach:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/03/18/4104390/testimony-weaves-a-tale-of-how.html

Marriage licenses are public records and are open to the public during regular business hours.

http://vowsatthebeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=17

Sure, but neither of those things would qualify as direct evidence. Those both qualify as circumstantial evidence.

Agree to disagree. I think the scope of direct evidence is broader than that, and as I stated, they've already started they have direct evidence.

So regardless, they HAVE direct evidence. I'll hunt down the link for you.

Sent from my KFTHWI

I believe the info provided at the recent court hearing will be sufficient for a jury to determine HE was at PTL during that time period.

JMHO
fran

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/19/4777318/testimony-weaves-tale-of-lives.html#.Uyo9rPldWHQ

That night

It is not clear who Sidney Moorer was with at 1:35 a.m. Dec. 18 when he made the call from a payphone on 10th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach to Elvis. The young woman was at home after having been on a date that night. Her date later cooperated with police and was cleared in the investigation, authorities said.

Sidney Moorer spoke to Elvis from the payphone for more than four minutes.

Elvis called a friend after the call and said Sidney Moorer was leaving his wife and wanted to resume their relationship, Elder said. After the phone call with Sidney Moorer, Elvis remained at home.

At 2:29 a.m. , she called the payphone back, but no one answered. Elvis, who was still at her home, then called Sidney Moorer’s cell phone at 3:16 a.m. and again a minute later. During that call, someone answered the phone and there was a 4:15 minute conversation.

Both Tammy and Sidney Moorer were at their home with the cell phone and Elvis was at her home, Elder said. But based on that conversation, Elvis got in her car and drove to the boat landing, Elder told the court.

At 3:38 a.m. , Elvis’ phone records show her phone was at the boat landing. From there, she called Sidney Moorer’s phone. She called it three more times a minute later, no answer.

At 3:41 a.m. Elvis’ phone stops sending data signals to cell phone towers or to a GPS backup connected to a Google account, Elder said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...tale-of-lives.html#.Uyo9rPldWHQ#storylink=cpy
I agree that it's clear that Heather was at the PTL at the time in question with what has been released so far. LE has her phone and car at that location. There may be even more evidence to support her being their that we haven't seen yet. MOO.

Sure, but neither of those things would qualify as direct evidence. Those both qualify as circumstantial evidence.

http://www.probablecause.org/directevidence.html

On the other hand, direct evidence straight-forwardly shows that something is a fact without inference or presumption. An example of this is the testimony of a witness who saw the knife being used to commit a crime by the defendant.

Direct evidence can also be:
• Physical evidence of the crime
• Documentary evidence, such as surveillance tapes, audio, or another reliable source.

Sent from my KFTHWI

Your right. Forensic evidence is circumstantial. Direct evidence is generally what a witness can say they saw or heard. MOO.

Did it rain on the 18th, 19th or 20th? If so, it could have washed away some evidence.

I don't know. I can't even remember if it rained here those dates. :blushing: Definitely something to consider.

I found his name on Classmates.com (Sidney Moorer, Summerville High School, '94). Unfortunately they don't have any yearbooks after 1987.

I found another listing for him for Lord Berkeley Academy in Moncks Corner (Class of 1995). His profile 'story' says life is better than he ever imagined (moved away, fell in love, got married, had kids, built his dream house and started his own business).

Thats a great picture of the marks on the road. Multiple marks.

IMO
The bendy one looks like someone peeling out leaving the landing area because it is darker at the further point and gets lighter towards the closest point. Normally when burning out, it is darker when you first start out. So that tells me it looks like a vehicle leaving the landing area and heading towards whoever took photo. The only weird part is why on that side of road if peeling out to leave.

Also, I cant see someone burning out pointing at the water because they could fly in the water if they go too far. And I cant see it being a vehicle coming to a screeching halt going that way because it would be darker at the nearest point.

Does any of that make any sense? :)

Remember ,the videos show the M's truck driving to the landing at a sedate speed. I think this is what happened next...
The truck pulls up next to Heather's car and the driver leans over and opens the passenger side door for her to get in ( have they rigged the interior light not to come on?). She gets in. Driver backs straight back to the opposite side of the lot and begins the turn back toward Peachtree road, gunning it full throttle as he completes the turn. Skidding tires, some loss of control maybe, but no concern for oncoming traffic as it is 3:40 in the morning and the road is empty. Poof * she's gone

Could you explain the difference a bit more? What can you do that isn't going to leave "data" on the phone?
I'm a word picker. When LE says that all "phone data" ends instead of all "phone activity" ends, I have to wonder about the choice of words. (Like the difference between "I'm innocent" and "I didn't do it.")

Cellular data defined here:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/59751/cellular-data
"The transmission of non-voice data via cellphone, which is an extra-cost subscription service beyond voice calling. The primary types of cellular data are e-mail messages and Web pages. Although not voice, text messaging (SMS) generally does not fall into the cellular data service,..."

By this definition, Voice (calls) and texts do not fall within Cellular Data. Therefore, if LE chose their words carefully, there could have been texts after 3:41. Or pings off of cell towers. But there was no web access or emails.

That's why I think the way I do.

http://www.probablecause.org/directevidence.html

On the other hand, direct evidence straight-forwardly shows that something is a fact without inference or presumption. An example of this is the testimony of a witness who saw the knife being used to commit a crime by the defendant.

Direct evidence can also be:
• Physical evidence of the crime
• Documentary evidence, such as surveillance tapes, audio, or another reliable source.

Sent from my KFTHWI
BBM-

It's possible the direct evidence is the surveillance tapes that captured the truck going to and from PTL.??

Direct evidence is often used in court terminology to describe evidence that straightforwardly supports the guilt or innocence of a person on trial. Unlike circumstantial evidence, which asks the judge or jury to infer reasonable conclusions, this form of evidence can stand on its own, and does not require any presumption. Video, tape recordings, and some types of witness testimony can be used as direct evidence to support a claim.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-direct-evidence.htm

I don't have a link, but I remember LE saying they don't
Believe this case is connected to any others. I believe this was
Around the time of the arrest.

BBM-

It's possible the direct evidence is the surveillance tapes that captured the truck going to and from PTL.??

Yes, in my opinion, surveillance videos of the crime taking place, or perhaps Heather in the truck restrained etc., could be direct evidence.
There's a slew of links out there explaining it, but given that we already know that they've utilized surveillance, I would definitely not think it a stretch of imagination to postulate that they have MORE video footage that they're holding back on.
Some had earlier suggested that perhaps thermal imaging? Iirc? Could be part of that, perhaps, but I'm not well versed in that, so I'm not sure how that would go. ..

Sent from my KFTHWI

I'm not sure the skids are important ... JMO. I see skids everywhere ... Especially in the south!! My ex used to do them for fun... ??? I know ... Don't get me started! Lol and when a large vehicle skids, it is loud!! I'm not familiar with area, but wouldn't people nearby have heard? Tire tracks in mud would be more useful in my opinion. Just what I am thinking ....

I'm a word picker. When LE says that all "phone data" ends instead of all "phone activity" ends, I have to wonder about the choice of words. (Like the difference between "I'm innocent" and "I didn't do it.")

Cellular data defined here:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/59751/cellular-data
"The transmission of non-voice data via cellphone, which is an extra-cost subscription service beyond voice calling. The primary types of cellular data are e-mail messages and Web pages. Although not voice, text messaging (SMS) generally does not fall into the cellular data service,..."

By this definition, Voice (calls) and texts do not fall within Cellular Data. Therefore, if LE chose their words carefully, there could have been texts after 3:41. Or pings off of cell towers. But there was no web access or emails.

That's why I think the way I do.

Thanks for the explanation, ghostwheel, I hadn't focused on the particulars of the terms they used...good call (no pun intended.)

Sent from my KFTHWI

BBM-

The direct evidence would be that a truck owned by certain people was seen coming and going from PTL. It would be circumstantial evidence that the owners of the truck where in it at that time. MOO.

BBM-

Only if the tapes show SM and TM in the act of murdering Heather. If they simply show them together -- even if (forgive the hypothetical) -- the tape shows SM and TM with a deceased Heather, it would not qualify as direct evidence. It would be circumstantial evidence, albeit extremely compelling circumstantial evidence.

E.g. -- imagine a video camera outside of a door entering a room with no other exit. Video captures two people entering the room, one with a gun. 30 seconds later, the person with the gun is captured on tape leaving the room, and the other person is later found dead in the room. There is no video tape of the gun being fired or anyone being shot.

As compelling as that evidence would be, it is *circumstantial evidence* because the viewer is expected to make an inference about what happened in the room. It may well be a very reasonable inference, but it is still an inference. Who knows, the person holding the gun could have given it to the other person, who shot him/herself. The viewer must make an assumption.

Speaking more generally and not just to the post to which I'm replying, it's fine to say that we may agree to disagree on matters which are really not based on opinions. But (just my opinion) in a mass forum like this it is unfortunate to have misinformation and misunderstanding perpetuated.

We have been trying to figure out what the IE charges have to do with the kidnapping/murder of Heather. Supposedly, there are photos sent by TM to HE, but the tire tracks started me thinking about that night. Suppose they struck HE with the truck just to knock her down and incapacitate her rather than kill her. Maybe they had more depraved things planned for her. They knock her down and then lock her in the toolbox. Then they drive to the IE locations and fornicate in the bed of the truck while describing their activity to HE. If they were in the truck bed rather than the cab it could explain the charges. After they "recreate" the scene of SM and HE's encounters they dispose of HE. I would be interested in knowing whether SM purchased a new toolbox after the 18th, because they could have (it hurts to even write this) dropped the box, with HE inside, in a body of water. The weight of the box would cause it to sink. Even worse, they could have done it while she was still conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member