SC SC - John, 47, & Elizabeth Calvert, 45, Hilton Head, 3 March 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The couple and the news surrounding them? I haven't heard anything lately about this confusing case. Googling only brought back old articles. Does anyone know if there are updates I missed?

Thank you.

Why isn't their family pushing to keep this story in the media? Surely these two have loved ones out there that care about where they are?

I was reading this blog and found some very interesting information. This person is a friend. Also, read the comments from the March 10 post.

http://crazyladytalk.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html
Interesting. Wouldn't the business be turned over to their next of kin and not to their associates?! I wonder who stood to really profit from their deaths or disappearance? Who is running the business now? One of the three who found the supposed suicide victim's body or all three of them? So many questions with no answers. People like this couple with a very high community profile don't disappear without reason and the reason usually involves money and power.

With the unusual developments that have occurred with this case, I'm surprised there has not been more media interest, or at least follow up. Seriously Searching brings up excellent points, especially as to who does profit from this couples disappearance? I too, find it unusual that there is not more outcry for answers from those close to this couple, as there is two people, conceivably two families to be concerned about them. All in all, it is simply perplexing.

Still nothing on this case?! I do not understand why their families are not screaming and yelling about the way this is being handled. They need to find a way to get this put back on the radar and solved.

Maybe they need to start by trying to figure out if the suicide was actually a homicide first. It is a critical element to this case, imo.

Tomorrow, police are supposed to hold a news conference for updates...(probably not too much, since the prime suspect killed himself)

http://savannahnow.com/node/634206

Evidence: S.C. couple murdered in March

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Hours before accountant Dennis Gerwing met with Elizabeth and John Calvert on March 3, he bought three large tarps thick and heavy enough to make ideal body bags.

He lied to co-workers to ensure they stayed away from his office in Sea Pines Center that night.

Then he confronted the hard-nosed business woman he called a "viper" and her easy-going husband about money that Gerwing stole from the companies that his wealthy clients owned.

That was part of a summation of evidence presented Wednesday for the first time by Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner, who made public 19 pages of details investigators have compiled since the Calverts vanished nine months ago.

Tanner said Gerwing offered investigators plenty of lies in the days that followed the couple's disappearance, but he killed himself before deputies could get to the truth.

Those lies - plus a dirty shovel and a pile of dirt in his otherwise tidy home - led investigators to suspect that Gerwing buried the bodies of the Calverts in a shallow grave somewhere within a five-hour drive of Hilton Head.

<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>

One year later, Hilton Head couple still missing

One year ago today, John and Elizabeth Calvert vanished without a trace after meeting with business associate, Dennis Gerwing. The couple was going to meet with him to discuss irregularities in their financial records, which Gerwing oversaw.

While there aren't many new developments in the case, sheriff PJ Tanner says it's unlikely the couple is still alive. But for now, he's still treating this as a missing person's case.

For the past year, the Calverts' yacht has remained at the Harbour Town Marina on Hilton Head Island. But where the Calverts themselves are remains a mystery.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9941368

Case is getting a fresh look.

http://www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp?s=12079045

It's been two years since a Hilton Head couple vanished without a trace.

John and Elizabeth Calvert disappeared on March 3, 2008 after meeting their business associate, Dennis Gerwing, who handled the Calverts' finances.

Since their disappearance, there have been few leads in the case. Gerwing was named a person of interest in the Calverts' disappearance, but killed himself just hours after being named in the case.

Beaufort County sheriff PJ Tanner says there's now a new team of ten retired law enforcement officers with ties to Beaufort County volunteering their time and efforts to review the case.

The sheriff hopes by utilizing fresh sets of eyes, they may discover something someone else missed.

"It's been a busy two years" said Tanner.

So when a group of retired officers offered to take a look at the Calvert case, he was more than happy for the help.

From there, the new Beaufort County Cold Case review team was formed.
<snip>
more at link!

I just watch the "Disappeared" episode on this case. It seems clear to me that the accountant did indeed kill the Calverts before killing himself.

What I found interesting was the similarities, in a way, with say, the Kyron Horman case, in that he was the last known person to see the missing persons, he had a period of time unaccounted for, he had stopped at a drug store and gone in two separate times (one time buying latex gloves), had lied about seemingly small things (the cut on his hand, etc.) cell phone issues, and although LE could find no physical or forensic evidence they were preprared to name him as their suspect on the date he killed himself, all within about a week or so period of their disappearance. He also refused to take a polygraph and hired a lawyer early on.

Aloso, LE in Hilton Head made use of every possible agency they could, in their searches, as they did in Portland, for no sinister reason, just to have all of the experience and manpower possible. (Portland has also used every imaginable agency.)

I guess I am wondering why LE in Portand is so hesitant to name Terri Horman as a POI at the very least. I know it does not really "matter" but the difference in various jurisdictions interests me.

I'm sad for John and Liz's family that they will never get to bury their loved , but I think the only mystery is where they were left, once deceased.

Bumping for John and Elizabeth Calvert to see if anyone has any recent information on the case.

I am engineer who was accepted to GA tech. My wife is an attorney. We currently run two businesses. So this story hits close to home.

If we were unhappy with a service provider, we would set a goal as they did to be done with them by the end of the year. We probably would be inclined to report mismanagement to the professional organization that regulates the provider rather than accept the provider simply making us whole with a cash offer. We would never think to be afraid for our lives, as one two respected people going to the office another respected person in our home town. It would never enter our minds. We would have ended up dead in this case.

I can understand how he managed to overpower both of them. It really freaks me out.

Sheriff's Office launches new cold-case initiative
September 7, 2014
http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/09/07/3300589_sheriffs-office-launches-new-cold.html?rh=1
COLD CASES HEAT UP
The Calverts' disappearance is among 30 Beaufort County "cold cases" -- active cases in which all leads have been exhausted. A new effort to jog memories that might help investigators solve old crimes -- or at least get them closer to cracking cases -- was started in August. The Sheriff's Office is focusing on cold cases on the anniversary of the suspected crimes, using email notifications and social media to get the word out.
"Cold cases are challenging and frustrating," Bromage said. "You don't hear (about) a lot of cold cases being solved."
The Calverts were declared dead in 2009, though their bodies have not been found. Investigators believe Gerwing, an accountant, killed them in a dispute over financial irregularities. But that's not enough to close the case, and the Sheriff's Office will continue investigating it along with the other 29 cold cases.
"No case is closed until we solve it," Bromage said.

John and Liz have been missing for 7 years now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back