SC SC - John, 47, & Elizabeth Calvert, 45, Hilton Head, 3 March 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was thinking that perhaps they were swindled by a group of people ..maybe others involved. That this man went to talk with them to see if they would consider not pursuing legal avenues. I would think that would have been the next step since she was a lawyer.

Maybe he is the nice guy of the little group swindling them and murder or kidnapping was not part of his plan..but he knew the others would carry it out. So after their little talk the other people involved kidnap and murder these two people. He can't stand to live with himself after this involvement and says he is gong to turn himself in and they in turn kill him. I just really do not believe that someone would repeatedly stab themselves in the chest and then cut their leg artery to commit suicide. Someone did this to him..I am wondering if he was even conscious at the point they cut his artery and placed him in the shower.

JMHO

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) - The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office says it will return to a Jesup, Georgia, landfill this morning to search for clues in the disappearance of a Hilton Head Island couple.
Sheriff's Captain Toby McSwain says officers searched the landfill yesterday in the disappearance of John and Elizabeth Calvert.

http://www.wspa.com/midatlantic/spa/...3-17-0005.html

I was thinking that perhaps they were swindled by a group of people ..maybe others involved. That this man went to talk with them to see if they would consider not pursuing legal avenues. I would think that would have been the next step since she was a lawyer.

Maybe he is the nice guy of the little group swindling them and murder or kidnapping was not part of his plan..but he knew the others would carry it out. So after their little talk the other people involved kidnap and murder these two people. He can't stand to live with himself after this involvement and says he is gong to turn himself in and they in turn kill him. I just really do not believe that someone would repeatedly stab themselves in the chest and then cut their leg artery to commit suicide. Someone did this to him..I am wondering if he was even conscious at the point they cut his artery and placed him in the shower.

JMHO

I'm with you. This couple was "targeted" through Gerwing who could very easily have committed suicide because he knew he was going to be killed by the other(s).

More likely Gerwing was murdered, have the notes been analyzed yet?
Plus Gerwing could have been forced to write the notes.

I hope the Calverts are found.

CP, thank you for the link. It appears that The Club Group site I listed is the same one that Gering would have worked for. That article states that the Calverts owned Harbor Town Marina. Gering worked as CFO for The Club Group. The Club Group lists the Harbor Town Marina and the Harbor Town Yacht Club on their site.
http://www.clubgrouprealty.com/index.asp

And what do we know about Tom Gibus?:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...alvert_0318.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab
John recruited Tony Gibus from Key Largo, Fla., to manage the marina businesses, and allowed his 15 employees and 10 subcontractors a good bit of autonomy. What the new owners provided was a boost of energy and enthusiasm.
"We needed someone to come in and give the business a shot in the arm," Gibus said.
The harbor community became something of a family for the couple; they got involved in several charities and were gracious hosts. Last month, John Calvert helped organize an afternoon boat excursion for 60 Army soldiers and their families. "He said, 'Man, we owe these guys,' " Gibus said.
Calvert also helped out employees having hard times.
"John was a trusting person," Gibus said.

This article details quite a bit of history on the Calverts and their business dealings.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...alvert_0318.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

The couple is mentioned in the above article as trusting individuals. Too trusting. When they became aware of the dealings of Gerwing, they should have pressed charges not met with him. There has got to be another person involved in this, the Club employees or partners...all need to be checked for alibis.

The couple is mentioned in the above article as trusting individuals. Too trusting. When they became aware of the dealings of Gerwing, they should have pressed charges not met with him. There has got to be another person involved in this, the Club employees or partners...all need to be checked for alibis.
I agree. This is a multifaceted case. The fact that a tip came in to search the landfill in Georgia tells me that others are aware of this crime.

Interesting that they are searching a landfill in GA but wasn't the car found on Hilton Head Island?

Also weren't there lights on and a TV on in the Yellow Jacket the boat they own..but no sign of them. And I also think they said something was not right at the house in Atlanta ..maybe lights on and the dog not fed or walked.

What was going on that they took these people back to GA..or were they already in Ga when they were taken? But then why lights and TV on in the yellow jacket?

Interesting that they are searching a landfill in GA but wasn't the car found on Hilton Head Island?

Also weren't there lights on and a TV on in the Yellow Jacket the boat they own..but no sign of them. And I also think they said something was not right at the house in Atlanta ..maybe lights on and the dog not fed or walked.

What was going on that they took these people back to GA..or were they already in Ga when they were taken? But then why lights and TV on in the yellow jacket?

I searched some earlier articles and couldn't find where the tv and lights were on in the boat. The cat was there though.

I think they are searching the landfill because...in general...that is where the trash is taken from Hilton Head. They received a tip and it could be the tip said they were placed in garbage bags and dumped. If that was the tip then they would search the landfill that accommodates this location.In this case it is Jesup, Ga.

The dog was in a kennel in Atlanta not in the house. They probably did leave a light on since they were gone a lot.

According to this article they are searching the landfill because of a videotape. The videotape showed a man throwing away something in a trash bin behind the strip mall where Gerwing's office was located:

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/350265.html

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/212312.html

snip/
The couple, who own a home in an exclusive Atlanta neighborhood, primarily live on their yacht, "The Yellow Jacket," which was still moored to its Harbour Town slip Wednesday night. An unopened Tuesday Island Packet was visible on the deck. A light was on in the cabin and a television could be heard inside.
Detectives searched the yacht, but found nothing to indicate the couple's location or fate, authorities said.

The Calverts' neighbors in Atlanta haven't seen them since late last week, when Elizabeth Calvert stayed overnight with the couple's dog. They also have a cat, but no children, neighbors said.
A light was on inside their Atlanta home Wednesday, which is rare when they're away, said Goodloe H. Yancey III, a neighbor.
"This is very distressing," she said when told by a reporter of the
disappearance.

/snip

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/212312.html

snip/
The couple, who own a home in an exclusive Atlanta neighborhood, primarily live on their yacht, "The Yellow Jacket," which was still moored to its Harbour Town slip Wednesday night. An unopened Tuesday Island Packet was visible on the deck. A light was on in the cabin and a television could be heard inside.
Detectives searched the yacht, but found nothing to indicate the couple's location or fate, authorities said.

The Calverts' neighbors in Atlanta haven't seen them since late last week, when Elizabeth Calvert stayed overnight with the couple's dog. They also have a cat, but no children, neighbors said.
A light was on inside their Atlanta home Wednesday, which is rare when they're away, said Goodloe H. Yancey III, a neighbor.
"This is very distressing," she said when told by a reporter of the
disappearance.

/snip

Now that is interesting. The light on in Atlanta when it wasn't the norm. Sounds like they had a visitor. Maybe someone was going through documents to eliminate themselves from the crime? Surely they had an alarm system but if they did maybe it was someone who knew the code?

This case is truly interesting. I am afraid that the results are not going to be favorable for the Calverts. Someone was after them.

Very interesting info. Thanks for the links everyone!

The death of Dennis Gerwing is raising eyebrows among friends -- and some forensic experts -- who say the man they knew and the circumstances of his death may not add up to a suicide
http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/256923.html

Great link. I like the last statement best. He might not know where his femoral artery is as he is an accountant. That is a pretty good summation. Most accountants are pretty clueless to a lot but the books.

This case has lots of twists and turns.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back