SC SC - Johnny Lamar Brown, 44, Myrtle Beach, 3 Aug 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Terribly sad. I just posted it on Facebook as I have numerous friends/family who have been to Myrtle Beach in the past few weeks and I know some people who live in the area. Hopefully, this helps a little getting the word out.

Updated info on Johnny :
He is developmentally disabled with a severe speech impediment . He understands and he can write .He will tell people he's from Cartersville (GA,but he doesn't say that.)

Johnny got in a taxi ,but the driver couldn't understand him. The police came and some how came up with the name of the hotel the family was staying at (maybe the taxi driver mentioned it?) .
The police called the hotel and asked if he worked there and they said no. This was before they knew a guest was missing.
The police drove Johnny to Horry County (Surfside?) and left him there !!!! This happened on Aug. 3.
The next day he went to a BBQ restaurant in Surfside trying to get help. They couldn't understand him and he left.This was around 1-2 pm on August 4.
Someone thinks they saw him standing in front of a drive thru menu at a McDonalds in Surfside ,on August 13.
He is afraid of people he doesn't know but calls his mom Ruby Pops .He can write Cartersville.
With the right help and publicity I'm sure we can bring Johnny home to his family.
They had to go back to GA yesterday ,but hope to return soon.Let's pray Johnny is found and they will be picking him up soon.
He has a black dog that he loves,who is at home waiting for his person to come home.

Wherever Johnny is ,he's scared.He's lived with his parents his entire life and has never been away from them.

So sorry to hear about Mr. Brown being missing. I pray someone will see and help him. I wish LE would have tried to help him more.

Praying that everyone who goes to the Myrtle Beach area or lives in the area will keep their eyes open for him!

is this the FB or is there another one?
http://www.facebook.com/HelpingTheJohnnyLamarBrownsFamily

I am still appalled that police would drive and leave someone that obviously had special needs- good grief they could have held him locally in some fashion while ascertaining his situation.

I TOTALLY agree with this analysis! If they were able to ascertain the hotel name, then instead of calling, how about driving over there! They might ask, "Have you seen him before?" "Could he be a vacationer here?" This is prime time for vacations in Myrtle Beach. Why not drive Mr. Brown over there and do just a bit of research?! How sad.

LEFT him?? omgosh- have family in the area will alert

Thank you. He likes to walk . Please ask them to look around restaurants /fast food and on the side of the road or hwy ,for a man walking.
He may have facial hair now.

Why not take him to a hospital with a psychological unit that could care for him while they figured out who he was?

Actually will be checking some out in my area in case he left the MB area.

This is so sad and scary. Thank you for helping miss James! I cannot believe the police just dumped him off like that!!! :eek:

is this the FB or is there another one?
http://www.facebook.com/HelpingTheJohnnyLamarBrownsFamily

I am still appalled that police would drive and leave someone that obviously had special needs- good grief they could have held him locally in some fashion while ascertaining his situation.

Yes,although they had to leave Myrtle Beach yesterday . I think CarolinaLive may have helped them with that.I saw the somewhere that CarolinaLive was a contact.
It hasn't received much attention : (
While LE may have dropped the ball initially ,Johnny's sister told me there is at least one officer who is quite focused on Johnny's case.Could be more,but this one female officer (or detective .Forgive me if I got it wrong) really touched the family.

Also ,Johnny was reported missing on Aug 3rd ,but was seen at the BBQ restaurant on the 4th. Not sure when the media picked it up.

The timing on this has been so off. All these near misses .

Have we heard the LE version, yet?

Have we heard the LE version, yet?

No, and to be fair his sister didn't use the term dumped or anything like that. Just that LE called the hotel and ran him through a data base with nothing panning out. He has no ID on him so I'm not sure what they went by.
It happened before he was reported missing,but on the same day.

Whatever the reason is ,this might be a good opportunity to educate the public about adults with disabilities.
My son is much like Johnny but he's 10. Pretty soon he'll be a teen ,then a man. People adore him now ,but what will the reaction be when he's 44 like Johnny ?

I'm not bashing LE and neither is the family. Just passing on the events in something of a time-line.

About LE, Johnny is a 44 year old man. Maybe they didn't think they had the right to hold onto him or take him to a shelter. There is a fine line concerning civil rights for the disabled,so I'm assuming they did what they thought needed to be done.

Is there some kind of alert for missing special needs persons???

Is there any ministry or organization there in the area that works with homeless people? Does the area not have an area wide reverse 911 where they can call all residents, businesses to be on the lookout?

I feel so sad for this child - man

also I hate to ask, but is it know if he has ever wandered off before and if so the circumstances how he was found? WOudl that give a clue as to where he might be found? ( not in Carterville, but in general KWIM?)

I just returned from Surfside / Garden City last Tuesday (we were there for eight days). PLEASE someone in the area.... Near the Surfside Beach Resort .... there was a man that would fit Johnny's description. We saw him frequently outside of that hotel and down that street to the south where it becomes Garden City. We figured he was a local. At one point he was hitch hiking. The hitch hiking seemed out of place for that area but we didn't think to question it (not being a local or knowing if it were common).

We are trying hard to remember what he was wearing - but I'm fairly sure he had on khaki shorts and a light colored shirt almost every time we saw him. I know for sure on one hot day his shirt was off and draped around his neck. I just showed the photo to my husband and adult daughter and they both agree it's likely the same man.

We always saw him on the street side (never saw him on the beach). As there are only five hotels in Surfside I'd guess that it's possible that he was dropped off at that hotel and is perhaps hanging around there hoping for his family to find him ?

bellyup , can you call the place where you were staying and ask if they have noticed this person, maybe they can relay your thoughts to LE?

he is apparently on foot- why haven't dogs been brought in to track him, working from the last place it really sounds like he was spotted at (that we know about) The BBQ place.
Why hasn't anyone that has seen him, or maybe interacted with him, tried to do something for him? It saddens me. You would think by now someone local would be thinking something is wrong with this picture, if he is being seen in and around the area.

I just returned from Surfside / Garden City last Tuesday (we were there for eight days). PLEASE someone in the area.... Near the Surfside Beach Resort .... there was a man that would fit Johnny's description. We saw him frequently outside of that hotel and down that street to the south where it becomes Garden City. We figured he was a local. At one point he was hitch hiking. The hitch hiking seemed out of place for that area but we didn't think to question it (not being a local or knowing if it were common).

We are trying hard to remember what he was wearing - but I'm fairly sure he had on khaki shorts and a light colored shirt almost every time we saw him. I know for sure on one hot day his shirt was off and draped around his neck. I just showed the photo to my husband and adult daughter and they both agree it's likely the same man.

We always saw him on the street side (never saw him on the beach). As there are only five hotels in Surfside I'd guess that it's possible that he was dropped off at that hotel and is perhaps hanging around there hoping for his family to find him ?

Just spoke with his sister and she's calling LE now. Please God,let it be him and THANK YOU Bellyup. LE may want to speak to you to get more info.
You can call police or his sister at the numbers on his photo above.

Is there some kind of alert for missing special needs persons???

Is there any ministry or organization there in the area that works with homeless people? Does the area not have an area wide reverse 911 where they can call all residents, businesses to be on the lookout?

I feel so sad for this child - man

also I hate to ask, but is it know if he has ever wandered off before and if so the circumstances how he was found? WOudl that give a clue as to where he might be found? ( not in Carterville, but in general KWIM?)

It seems this was not typical for Johnny but the family believes he may have been trying to go home to Cartersville,GA. This happened the day after they arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BunnyLugsCacti