Found Deceased SC - Lori Jane (Eblin) Reaves, 35, Columbia, 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sandy reposted using the page. Here is the new link
It's a miracle this even happened. The guy that sent Debbie and Sandy the message posted -Normally I'd put in quotes but it would be harder to read..

Wanted to take a minute here and write the story from my perspective. This may be a tad long winded and I apologize.

I was online Thursday, June 28th and remembered a case I had seen on The Official Unsolved Mysteries many years ago about a gentleman from my home county of Abbeville, SC named Walter Rice, who died, wasn't found for a year and had left a large amount of money behind. I found the Unsolved Mysteries wiki page and saw there were never any kin located for him. I looked through and saw the other South Carolina cases and came across Lori's case.

After reading it, I thought I'd just look through my resources, as it seemed odd that she could disappear without a trace. I searched through Ancestry, newspapers.com and findagrave and drew nothing important. I then decided to repeat the searches based on the name being Reeves, as I figured it would be a common mistake to make.

I found a Lori Reeves in the Richland County Cemetery, who had been documented by FindaGrave user "B.K" in 2017. The Year of Birth matched, the Year of Death was plausible, so, it certainly caught my attention.

I did some more searching trying to discredit the info I had found, as the last thing I wanted to do was instill false hope to the family. I was unable to prove that the Lori I found was NOT the right Lori. There was just enough there that, while I thought it was a long shot, I felt I had to mention it, even though I suspected that they would reply back that they knew about this other Lori and it was not the right one.

I was surprised to find that Debbie and Sandra did not know of this information. I contacted "B.K" to inquire about how that memorial came to be posted, thinking that maybe she had seen the case and created a memorial.

Friday morning, I received a response from "B.K" stating that she documented the grave standing in front of it, and had taken a picture, and would look for it. I informed Debbie and Sandra of this and informed them that if "B.K" hadn't located a photo first, I would make the trip to Columbia to see it for myself. We arranged to talk while I was there as I felt it important that if this did turn out to be Lori, the family should be in at least some way present. Still, at this point, I'm thinking it's a long shot.

Friday night, I found more information about the Richland County Cemetery, finding that it was the cemetery for unclaimed bodies and people who had donated their bodies to the USC Medical School, so, another shove towards believing that this might just be Lori.

I got to the cemetery on Saturday afternoon after a touch of adventure finding it, and called Debbie to describe hopefully, exactly what I was seeing, then entered the gates to search for Lori.

I've been volunteering for FindAGrave for over 2 years, and this was the fastest I've ever found a marker I was searching for. Within 2 minutes of entering the gates, I had located Lori's marker. We verified that it was, indeed, spelled Reeves, but that everything else matched up. I got off the phone with Debbie and started taking photos and videos of the grave and cemetery for them. All through this I am constantly telling Debbie and Sandra to please not get their hopes up. Even though I'm getting more and more confident that we may be on to something here, I don't want to be the cause for dashed hopes.

On Monday evening, I received the message from Debbie that the coroner had confirmed that the grave was, indeed, the correct Lori and that their search was finally over.

I am very proud to have played a small part in providing closure to the family and am at the same time sorry that the results were not the miracle that I'm sure they have been hoping and praying for.

I would ask that anyone reading this consider volunteering in their local area with findagrave and documenting and photographing cemeteries. The real hero in this case to me is "B.K", who told me that she just happened to go to the cemetery with her husband and documented a small number of the markers there. If she had not documented THIS marker, Lori would still be missing. All I did was put the information together and think a little outside the box.

Volunteering with findagrave is quite rewarding and while this certainly isn't a common outcome of it.. This story is evidence that it can happen. You could help find a missing person. You could help someone find a lost relative. You could help someone trace their family tree. You can help.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kristy91
Back