SC - Mica Miller, 30 yr old Found Deceased - Pastors Wife's Death Being Investigated, May 2024 #2

It’s an insidious form of domestic violence that doesn’t leave bumps or bruises but is just as painful.

“Coercive control is a basically like a psychological warfare,” Conway attorney Regina Ward said Wednesday at a news conference held to talk about the death of Mica Miller and the alleged abuse she suffered during her marriage to John-Paul Miller.

“It will damage the very soul of a person,” Ward said. “It will make them doubt and lose their self-confidence, and especially their self-worth so they’ll give up on being happy and they’ll trudge through every day. Or maybe they won’t.”

“One of the primary issues we were seeking a court order from the judge is possession of Mica’s personal property that’s being held in the possession of the Robeson County Sheriff’s Department,” Conway attorney Regina Ward said at an hourlong news conference outside the Horry County government building.

“The property that’s with them is her personal cell phone, her purse, whatever’s inside her purse, her vehicle and whatever’s in her vehicle, Ward said. “As far as anything beyond that, we’re not sure what all is available, but that was something that we wanted to make sure we got in our custody.”

Ward said the car Mica drove to Lumber River was titled to her godmother, who will retain possession of it under the terms of the agreement.

“His lawyer would be able to ask us about having access to it to, but right now we are very satisfied and happy that he has been advised by his attorney to allow us to get that property in our possession,” Ward said.

“In this particular case, the restraining order is basically saying that the parties are mutually restrained from contacting one another, communications will be handled through the attorney’s office so there’s no need for any direct communication,” Ward said. “We’re also on a mutual restraint to not go into the area of a person residence or where they work. They are to turn around and leave if the other person is there.”

When Mica/her family's lawyer was first mentioned, I did a fairly deep google research dive on the lawyer.

I don't live in SC, but recently some loved ones of mine were involved in an intense custody dispute out there, being poorly served by their then lawyer. As someone familiar with the law/lawyers, I did a deep deep research dive into SC lawyers to find/suggest a new lawyer for my loved ones. (It was in a different part of the state, so I didn't then research the lawyers involved here.) But having just fairly recently done such lawyer research, when I more recently researched Mica's lawyer, I thought about how 100% I would have raced to tell my friends to hire her. Just so fierce, incredible reviews, etc, etc, etc. Truly a gem of a lawyer for complex situations where you need to fight.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the lawyer Mica herself hired for her divorce while alive? I'm curious if she just lucked out or perhaps also did deep research and chose a skilled fighter. It the lawyer choice was strategic and not a coincidence, I think that gives insight into how prepared Mica was getting for a true legal fight.

However it happened, it is wonderful that the family now has the lawyer they do to push for justice, in whatever form it can be found.

When Mica/her family's lawyer was first mentioned, I did a fairly deep google research dive on the lawyer.

I don't live in SC, but recently some loved ones of mine were involved in an intense custody dispute out there, being poorly served by their then lawyer. As someone familiar with the law/lawyers, I did a deep deep research dive into SC lawyers to find/suggest a new lawyer for my loved ones. (It was in a different part of the state, so I didn't then research the lawyers involved here.) But having just fairly recently done such lawyer research, when I more recently researched Mica's lawyer, I thought about how 100% I would have raced to tell my friends to hire her. Just so fierce, incredible reviews, etc, etc, etc. Truly a gem of a lawyer for complex situations where you need to fight.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the lawyer Mica herself hired for her divorce while alive? I'm curious if she just lucked out or perhaps also did deep research and chose a skilled fighter. It the lawyer choice was strategic and not a coincidence, I think that gives insight into how prepared Mica was getting for a true legal fight.

However it happened, it is wonderful that the family now has the lawyer they do to push for justice, in whatever form it can be found.
IMO I think Mica reached out to JP's ex and asked for advice on an attorney, maybe Regina was suggested to her. I am grateful to have this legal warrior representing her (and her family) now. All JMO

IMO I think Mica reached out to JP's ex and asked for advice on an attorney, maybe Regina was suggested to her. I am grateful to have this legal warrior representing her (and her family) now. All JMO
In the voicemail to Alison that I listened too, Mica asked for the name of the therapist she used after she left JPM. She needed help to deal with her emotions, in the aftermath of finally having the courage to leave a narcissistic abuser for good. That's not to say Alison didn't give her a referral, whatever the case I'm grateful Regina is speaking out on Mica's behalf now. She clearly isn't afraid of JPM or his lawyers.

Mica Miller call to Alison

I pass a billboard advertising Ward’s law firm on my way to work every day. I love her slogan… “Call Regina Ward to be your shield and sword!” Because that’s truly the role she’s taken on for Mica and the Francis family.

“Coercive control is a basically like a psychological warfare,” Conway attorney Regina Ward said Wednesday at a news conference held to talk about the death of Mica Miller and the alleged abuse she suffered during her marriage to John-Paul Miller.
<snipped for focus>

There appears to be precedent for holding a person responsible for coercive control/psychological warfare, such as the case of a young woman who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, which he did and she was criminally charged.

<snipped for focus>

There appears to be precedent for holding a person responsible for coercive control/psychological warfare, such as the case of a young woman who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, which he did and she was criminally charged.

That was an extreme case where she actually talked to him live and said to just do it and follow thru with it.

IMO, this case with Mica is much grayer and that's going to be tough to change the law to where it is fair and not used as a tool in situations where it might be abuse like regular messy divorces.

There was a bill introduced to the state Senate in December 2021, but it wasn’t passed before the deadline. The proposed bill actually laid out what actions would constitute coercive control and the evidence that could be used to prove such behavior in a very clear cut manner.

(2) The offense of coercive control of another person may include, but is not limited to, the following types of behavior:

(a) isolating a person from their friends and family;
(b) depriving a person of basic needs;
(c) monitoring a person's time;
(d) monitoring a person via online communication tools or using spyware;
(e) taking control over aspects of a person's everyday life, including where the person may go, who the person may see, what a person may wear, and when a person may sleep;
(f) depriving a person access to support services, including medical services;
(g) repeatedly insulting a person, including expressing the person's worthlessness;
(h) enforcing rules and activities that humiliate, degrade, or dehumanize the person;
(i) forcing a person to take part in criminal activity, including shoplifting and neglect or abuse of children, to encourage the person's self-blame and prevent disclosure to authorities;
(j) financial abuse, including control of finances and only allowing a person a punitive allowance;
(k) threats to hurt or kill;
(l) threats to a child;
(m) threats to reveal or publish private information or extort the person or a member of the person's family in retaliation by legal or other means;
(n) assault;
(o) rape; or
(p) preventing a person from having access to transport or from working.

(3) Evidence of coercive control of another person may include, but is not limited to, the following:

(a) copies of emails, phone records, or text messages;
(b) evidence of abuse over the Internet, digital technology, or social media platforms;
(c) evidence of assault;
(d) photographs of injuries, particularly defensive injuries to forearms, latent upper arm grabs, scalp bruising, or clumps of hair missing;
(e) 911 tapes or transcripts;
(f) body-worn camera footage;
(g) lifestyle and household evidence, including at-scene photographic evidence;
(h) records of interaction with support services or law enforcement, including records of interaction prior to the current incident or investigation;
(i) medical records;
(j) witness testimony, including testimony from the family and friends, regarding the effect and impact of isolation of the person from friends or family, or other local witnesses with relevant observations of the person;
(k) bank records to show financial control;
(l) previous threats made to children or other family members;
(m) diary kept by the person;
(n) the person's account of the situation to law enforcement; or
(o) evidence of isolation such as lack of contact between family and friends, person withdrawing from activities such as clubs and other life events including weddings and funerals, and the person exerting control accompanying the person to medical appointments.

I’m very annoyed that South Carolina allowed that bill to die without taking action.

Some interesting and helpful information at the above link. There are several countries and other US states that have already passed coercive control laws.

France was the first in 2010. Followed by Wales and the UK in 2015. Ireland and Scotland — which has the most extensive laws on coercive control — in 2018.

In the states, Hawaii and California signed into law coercive control bills in 2020. Connecticut signed “Jennifer’s Law” in 2021, which expanded the state’s definition of domestic violence to include coercive control. The bill is named in honor of Jennifer Dulos.

Others states and countries with pending coercive control legislation include Washington, Florida, New York, Maryland, and Australia.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohthatmakessense
Back