SC - Michael Davidson, 16, shot to death in Gaffney robbery, 8 May 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
would i shoot an intruder in my home? yes. would i shoot someone trying to rob me in my store? yes (if i had a store) would i stop to help someone who was being attacked? yes.

but if push came to shove and i had a gun and people we're running (armed or not, robbing me or not) could i pull the trigger? i cannot see me doing that, no.

and i dont understand why i've had to defend my position on this all day.

I'd say it is far from certain that the suspects were shot in the back as they were running away. This article, for instance, says the suspects and the employees exchanged fire. I would also say that even if someone is running away but still manages to exchange fire, they are far from harmless.
"Investigators say that as the three suspects began to leave, two employees at the business, who were armed with guns, exchanged fire with the teenagers and all three teens were shot."
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/may/08/7/teen-killed-apparent-robbery-attempt-ar-154075/

and we can say 'well he would have gotten off lightly.' that is not the victims responsibilty anymore then it is when a child/woman comes forward and prosecutes for rape/molestation and then the court gives the guy a slap on the wrist.

i understand that jenny. my argument is proceeding from the assumption that he did shoot them in the back.

well i feel if i shoot a robber in the back, while hes running, that makes me as cowardly and evil as he is. can i live with myself lowering myself to or below his level?

Why exactly do you think this is about you?

and we can say 'well he would have gotten off lightly.' that is not the victims responsibilty anymore then it is when a child/woman comes forward and prosecutes for rape/molestation and then the court gives the guy a slap on the wrist.

i understand that jenny. my argument is proceeding from the assumption that he did shoot them in the back.

Hah?
What exactly does this have to do with rape/molestation?

Employees Fire Back During Gaffney Robbery
Monday, May 10, 2010

Snipped..........................................................

"Davidson died in the trauma center at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center at 4:03 am as a result of injuries sustained in the shooting," said Fowler. "My office and (Cherokee County Sheriff's) detectives are continuing to investigate the incident."

In a prepared release, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office says that Davidson and two others teenagers, 18-year old Lloyd Ryan Jeffries, of Gaffney, and an unidentified 16-year old, entered the business at 3 am and robbed the employees. Investigators say that as the three suspects began to leave, two employees at the business, who were armed with guns, exchanged fire with the teenagers and all three teens were shot

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/may/08/7/teen-killed-apparent-robbery-attempt-ar-154075/

Sonny's Shooting: No Charges For Employees
Solicitor: Deadly Force Acceptable When Defending Life

GAFFNEY, S.C. --
The Seventh Circuit Solicitor will not pursue charges against Gaffney restaurant employees who opened fire on armed robbers over the weekend.

One of the teen robbery suspects was shot and killed during the shootout that happened early Saturday morning at Sonny's BBQ Cafe, according to deputies. (Full Story)

"You have an unfettered right to defend yourself," Trey Gowdy told News 4. "If you reasonably believe you are in danger of losing your life, you may use force up to and including deadly force," said Gowdy.

When asked if the law applied even if the suspects were fleeing, Gowdy said, "How did the employees know they weren't going outside to get a bigger gun? If you are in fear of your life, you can use deadly force."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/23506255/detail.html

Hah?
What exactly does this have to do with rape/molestation?

obviously my analogy was missed. someone earlier in the thread said 'they'd get off easy anyways' as some sort of justification.

when criminals get off easy, why is it supposed to be the victims responsibility to enact justice/revenge? that was my point.

GAFFNEY, S.C. --
The Seventh Circuit Solicitor will not pursue charges against Gaffney restaurant employees who opened fire on armed robbers over the weekend.

One of the teen robbery suspects was shot and killed during the shootout that happened early Saturday morning at Sonny's BBQ Cafe, according to deputies. (Full Story)

"You have an unfettered right to defend yourself," Trey Gowdy told News 4. "If you reasonably believe you are in danger of losing your life, you may use force up to and including deadly force," said Gowdy.

When asked if the law applied even if the suspects were fleeing, Gowdy said, "How did the employees know they weren't going outside to get a bigger gun? If you are in fear of your life, you can use deadly force."

As far as I'm concerned, justice was served and there's one less criminal running around.

My opinion only

I read another article where it stated the employees had been robbed three days prior...let me see if I can find it brb...............

here it is:

Gunfire erupted around 3 a.m. at Sonny's Cafe on Cherokee Avenue when 18-year-old Lloyd Ryan Jefferies, Michael Shaquille Davidson, 16, of Fourth Street, and another 16-year-old male, identified by family members as Calvin Smith, robbed the small, 24-hour cafe, according to Cherokee County sheriff's deputies.

As the suspects — armed with three weapons — attempted to leave, two employees who were armed with handguns fired shots, a news release states. All three suspects were shot and ran from the cafe. Sonny's Cafe was formerly Ozzie's.

Davidson ran to a house on Sixth Street and was taken to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center around 4 a.m. where he died as a result of his injuries, according to Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler. Fowler has ordered an autopsy.

Jefferies was transported to Mary Black Memorial Hospital by a private vehicle and was later charged with armed robbery.

He remains at the Cherokee County Detention Center.

Smith ran across the street and was transported to Spartanburg Regional where he underwent surgery.

The news release states that Smith will be charged with armed robbery as an adult when he's released from the hosptial.

Two of the three weapons the armed robbery suspects allegedly used during the crime have been located, and police are continuing to search for the third gun.

Previous incident

Employees of the cafe were robbed just three days earlier.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/43875.html

Well the police ruled and thats that.

my opinion of what i'd do myself stands.

and thats the end of it from me here.

I am not going to reopen the debate into whether the shooting was justified but I still stand by my statement that if the shooting was happening out on the street it makes me uncomfortable. I am a bit comforted to know that it took place in the wee hours of the morning and at least it wasn't a busy time of day with lots of pedestrian traffic.

The FACT is if these Kids/young adults would not of been out doing something they know is wrong and illegal this would not of happened.

I personally would not of shot someone running away unless I feared they was coming back. However these young adults IMO are not victims as they IMO did this to themself when they decided to be ARMED robbers.

there not victims but shooting people in the back doesnt make you a hero either.

thats the point im trying to make.

GAFFNEY, S.C. --

I heard Trey Gowdy speak on the news this morning, and he made an interesting point, which is quoted here. He said that the store owners did not know what the robbers intended and did not know that they were safe when the robbers turned to leave, which is why they pulled their own guns and shot. I'm not sure I buy that, but I'm on the side of "If you go into an establishment to rob the place and get shot in the process, that is nobody's fault but your own."

There is a lot of speculation around town; a lot of rumors. I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post, as far as rumors go. Anything? If so, I'll write what I've heard. Some of it is pretty shocking.

Threatened or pissed, these kids were ROBBING the place, STEALING what didn't belong to them. Why would anyone defend them?

well. maybe it's just me then. Why kill someone if you don't HAVE to. If you can call the cops and get away. As i said, not all area's of question have been filled in. Were they out the door across the street? still in the establishment? did they have guns. ANd yes, to me it matters. Maybe not to you. But to ME it does.

well. maybe it's just me then. Why kill someone if you don't HAVE to. If you can call the cops and get away. As i said, not all area's of question have been filled in. Were they out the door across the street? still in the establishment? did they have guns. ANd yes, to me it matters. Maybe not to you. But to ME it does.

What matters to ME was they were breaking the law, stealing, that makes them criminals. To ME, if a lot more criminals were shot and killed, there would be less criminals, robbing, stealing, and breaking the law. Maybe it's time we get real with criminals instead of meekly handing over the money we had to work for.

My opinion only

If you call the cops and the robbers get arrested, they or their criminal friends/gang will likely come after you and/or your family if you even think of testifying against them. Then, you get to live in fear the rest of your life. Nice life, eh?

Btw, I used to think like you. Then real life happened to me. It is REAL life, not the imaginary one you would LIKE to live in that leads me to say that, unfortunately, if they used deadly force, you do have to kill them if you ever want to live in peace again.

Also, the person who used deadly force against me and attempted to murder my husband, AND walked into court and plead GUILTY to get a good sentence, AND walked free for the last 8 years, AND continued to send us threats, just died recently in a shooting with a shotgun. I had my first good nights sleep the very night I received the news. I am eagerly awaiting the death, however it comes, of his accomplice. I only wish they had been dead from the day the crime occurred. My life would have been drastically different, as walking around "free" in this world has been a prison sentence for us for the last 8 years.

I have to wonder if that store owner knew that he would be living in an atmosphere of terror as long as his "robbers" walked free.

What matters to ME was they were breaking the law, stealing, that makes them criminals. To ME, if a lot more criminals were shot and killed, there would be less criminals, robbing, stealing, and breaking the law. Maybe it's time we get real with criminals instead of meekly handing over the money we had to work for.

My opinion only

Here's to that! People don't seem to understand that until they and their loved ones become the victims of violent crime. "Poor misunderstood criminals, lets be sure to be nice to them on their way out the door" ???

Btw, once upon a time, I was a "gun control" advocate. Ha ha HAH

I now live in the real world. ;)

Only a criminal would kill someone they didn't have to.

If you are minding your own business and a criminal puts a gun in your face, that's a threat to kill you. I'll kill them first at my first opportunity to do so.

When seconds matter the police are just a call to 911 and a few minutes away. Perhaps, somewhere, the criminals will allow you to make the call and will cool their heels until the police arrive before beginning their assault, in the name of fairness. But I don't know where that is. Certainly not any place I know.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back