Found Deceased SC - Michelle Murph 6 & dad Jason Murph 42, may have been in car accident, phoned wife 8pm near Hwy 301 near Calhoun County, 16 Dec 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe there was no accident. Maybe he torched the truck deliberately before whatever happened that ended their lives.
..but did I read it was pulled from a swamp/water? It def looks as they said to have been engulfed in flames a while, tires gone, a shell. So not sure of my reading that. Just seems the truck fire was not noticed or if was, not reported depending on who saw it. That's the bewilderinng part, it would of been very noticeable, but reports say 'highway'.area. It's all awfully bewildering though and more information will come out through the experts and in the meantime it's a brutal sad event.

while the print version of the article shows the name of the caller to wife is redacted in the police report, the video that accompanies the article states wife received the call from Jason about a wreck, the call is then ended (either he hung up or was disconnected) and she called back, got no response.
Ahhh— I watched the video and you are correct.
“At around 8 p.m. that night, Jason Murph’s wife received a call from someone whose name was redacted in the incident report. That person told her Jason Murph had “slid off the road” and wrecked his vehicle.”
According to the video “that person” was Jason himself.

Watching the way the truck pulls into the gas station, is it possible Jason was intoxicated or having some kind of medical episode? Looks like he almost hits a pole by the pump and pulls in rather crooked. I cant tell from the video if he even got gas because the video seems to jump, as if its been edited.

Being intoxicated or having a medical epsode may explain the crash and any seeming confusion on the call with his wife...

"To me it's kind of scary because if they were found 100 yards away from the car, how did they get there?" asked Charles Jones, a man who lives in the area.

According to an incident report,
Michelle's mother- who is also Jason's estranged wife- told deputies she hadn’t seen or heard from her daughter and Jason since a phone call Saturday night around 8 p.m., when Jason told the woman he had wrecked his truck and slid off the road.

The report also states the mother told deputies Jason hung up the phone and she never heard from him again, despite calling him back and texting him to call 9-1-1.

The report also notes alcohol may be suspected.

"It's sad," said Patrick Granier, who also lives nearby. "I'm curious to know how it happened. I heard about it two days ago when this first started."

"To me it's kind of scary because if they were found 100 yards away from the car, how did they get there?" asked Charles Jones, a man who lives in the area.

According to an incident report, Michelle's mother- who is also Jason's estranged wife- told deputies she hadn’t seen or heard from her daughter and Jason since a phone call Saturday night around 8 p.m., when Jason told the woman he had wrecked his truck and slid off the road.

The report also states the mother told deputies Jason hung up the phone and she never heard from him again, despite calling him back and texting him to call 9-1-1.

The report also notes alcohol may be suspected.

"It's sad," said Patrick Granier, who also lives nearby. "I'm curious to know how it happened. I heard about it two days ago when this first started."
Ah, good catch. I had not seen that alcohol was already suspected. Thanks.

Watching the way the truck pulls into the gas station, is it possible Jason was intoxicated or having some kind of medical episode? Looks like he almost hits a pole by the pump and pulls in rather crooked. I cant tell from the video if he even got gas because the video seems to jump, as if its been edited.

Being intoxicated or having a medical epsode may explain the crash and any seeming confusion on the call with his wife...

Ah, good catch. I had not seen that alcohol was already suspected. Thanks.
I hope it won't turn out that alcohol was involved. I've been concerned about that ever since i saw that he had been arrested for a DUI in July 2022. It was a first offense. This might be why alcohol is suspected. It is hard enough to accept an accident and it would be even harder if it was from a preventable cause such as alcohol. In any case, it is so sad for the poor mom and all of the others who loved them.

Moo..looks like the gas tank blew out...there is a hole where gas cap should be. Call may of dropped because truck started on fire..fires usually start a moment or a minute or so after accident..maybe that is why child started yelling?. I live on a hwy on a nasty corner, been lots of wrecks into light n hydro poles. The poles have been moved for that reason. For 2 wrecks I was only person that noticed...I don't have a tv. Unless there is huge bang people are not gonna look out of their windows at nite. There has also been 2 houses that burnt to the ground and were not noticed till morning. This is residential houses all on one side of hwy. So if no houses close to where they wrecked, no one would of noticed fire or wreck. Very sad. Do not need to be drunk to wreck. My hwy has bad grade? on some corners, so causes a problem at hwy speed....moo

Last edited:
I hope it won't turn out that alcohol was involved. I've been concerned about that ever since i saw that he had been arrested for a DUI in July 2022. It was a first offense. This might be why alcohol is suspected. It is hard enough to accept an accident and it would be even harder if it was from a preventable cause such as alcohol. In any case, it is so sad for the poor mom and all of the others who loved them.

I agree. Terrible if that was the case. Such a bizarre, sad scenario.

Alcohol involvement could certainly explain both getting lost on a familiar route, the accident itself, as well as disorientation (in potential combination with injuries) after the fact. I'm sure the autopsy will provide more information, when it comes out.

SBM from article.

“His vehicle was resting right down at the bottom at this little hill,” Poth said. “He had tried to reverse and get out of the bog and get out and was able to do that. You can tell that the heat of the engine after he was trying to get out created a fire.”

The incident report also noted the car’s rear tires were caked in large amounts of mud, indicating the driver attempted to drive backwards and caused the truck to sink further.”

SBM from article.

“His vehicle was resting right down at the bottom at this little hill,” Poth said. “He had tried to reverse and get out of the bog and get out and was able to do that. You can tell that the heat of the engine after he was trying to get out created a fire.”

The incident report also noted the car’s rear tires were caked in large amounts of mud, indicating the driver attempted to drive backwards and caused the truck to sink further.”
How horrible. Seems it was an accident and he couldn’t navigate his way to safety.

I am wondering what happened after they got out of the truck. How did they get the 100 yards away? Sad circumstances and case! The autopsy results will take some time due to the need for a toxicology report. I also wonder if there were an open containers in the truck

I am wondering what happened after they got out of the truck. How did they get the 100 yards away? Sad circumstances and case! The autopsy results will take some time due to the need for a toxicology report. I also wonder if there were an open containers in the truck
“Calhoun and Orangeburg Counties K9 units found the victims between 30 to 50 yards to the right of the truck.”

This says they were closer.

Video, second report reveal new details in disappearance of Columbia father, daughter

CALHOUN COUNTY, S.C. (WACH) — The Calhoun County Coroner says a father and daughter found dead along Interstate 26 in Calhoun County on Monday night died as a result of hypothermia based on the weather elements.

[...]

WACH FOX News obtained an incident report from the Richland County Sheriff's Department that states that Murph is believed to have consumed alcohol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back