GUILTY SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston, 2015; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Defense attorneys argue Roof jail journal should be suppressed

58923a4c83996.preview.jpg

(complete motion: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-8be8-4768c82363bb/58923a4ba415a.pdf.pdf...)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, he certsinly isn't getting anywhere with these rulings. Thanks Y/N.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof wants new federal trial

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/1...oter-dylann-roof-wants-new-federal-trial.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has asked for a new federal trial, saying prosecutors didn't have jurisdiction to bring their case against him.

Roof's attorneys made that request Friday, claiming the government failed to prove his use of the internet, highways and a gun manufactured out of state were sufficient enough links to allow religious obstruction charges.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/1...oter-dylann-roof-wants-new-federal-trial.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has asked for a new federal trial, saying prosecutors didn't have jurisdiction to bring their case against him.

Roof's attorneys made that request Friday, claiming the government failed to prove his use of the internet, highways and a gun manufactured out of state were sufficient enough links to allow religious obstruction charges.
Does this evil, poor excuse for mankind think he can actually change the outcome of a trial after cold-bloodedly planning and carrying out the execution of nine innocent people?

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

:silly: :sumo:

EXCLUSIVE: Could SC prosecutor be rethinking death penalty trial for Dylann Roof?

"CHARLESON, SC - Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson of Charleston said she is weighing various choices as she decides whether to pursue a state death penalty trial against convicted Charleston church killer Dylann Roof.

More than a year ago, she announced she was pursuing the death penalty against Roof, 22, a Columbia area, self-defined white supremacist.

But now that a federal jury has given Roof a death penalty sentence, is she changing her mind about pursuing the same thing in state court?

“I have been discussing the options with the victims and victims’ families,” said Wilson, 9th Judicial Circuit solicitor, in response to an email query from The State newspaper late last week.

Roof’s court-appointed attorneys for the state trial, Ashley Pennington and Bill McGuire, have told presiding state Judge J.C. Nicholson that Roof is willing to plead guilty to murder charges in exchange for life in prison without parole. As of yet, Wilson has not accepted that standing offer.

Meanwhile, Charleston lawyer Andy Savage, who represents a number of Roof’s victims’ families, told The State his clients are in favor of allowing Roof to plead guilty to murder charges in state court in exchange for an ironclad agreement that he will never be paroled or be released from prison.

Savage said if Roof gets a life without parole sentence in state court, “he has agreed to waive any appellate rights except he may challenge the competence of his attorneys, a challenge that we believe would be unfounded. In return, he has asked that he be confined exclusively in a federal prison for the remainder of his life. That request is one we endorse.”...

Wilson said she’s not necessarily in a hurry for a state trial. Nor is she delaying a decision.

“I am not operating on a deadline except that I understand the importance to the victims of having the state’s cases resolved as expeditiously as possible,” she said.

But she does have some questions she wants answered before she makes a decision.

3 choices, but questions about death..."

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article132298284.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this evil, poor excuse for mankind think he can actually change the outcome of a trial after cold-bloodedly planning and carrying out the execution of nine innocent people?

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

I think he's just trying to stir tihs up by playing with The Establishment. He's prolly back in his cell laffing. What else has he got to do? SMH. What an idiot.

And so it starts...the copycats are coming out of the woodwork...:sigh:

FBI: White Supremacist Says He Planned to Kill Jews ‘In the Spirit of Dylann Roof’

"A white supremacist planned a terror attack “in the spirit of Dylann Roof” on a South Carolina synagogue, the FBI alleges.

Benjamin Thomas Samuel McDowell, 29, of Conway, South Carolina was arrested Wednesday for allegedly attempting to buy a gun from an undercover agent posing as a hitman for the Aryan Nations. McDowell is a convicted felon and legally prohibited from buying firearms. McDowell allegedly sought the weapon after spending the past month writing Facebook posts about murdering Jews and praising Roof, who was convicted of murdering nine black churchgoers in Charleston in June 2016.

According to an FBI affidavit filed Thursday, McDowell’s internet activity suggested that he set his sights on the Temple Emanu-El, a conservative synagogue in Myrtle Beach...

“I think this was a guy who was pretty well ensconced in white supremacist thinking, down to the point where he knew the slogans, the buzzwords, and so on,” the SPLC’s Beirich said. “I’m not surprised to see him praising Dylann Roof. He’s not the only white supremacist who sees Dylann Roof as a hero, a martyr to the cause.”.."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...f-dylann-roof.html?via=desktop&source=twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White supremacist Dylann Roof stopped at a second black church after Charleston massacre, but he was too tired to continue shooting, court documents claim

"Charleston church killer Dylan Roof allegedly stopped at another church
GPS data shows that he traveled west 30 minutes to the Branch AME church
Roof told officials that he was too tired to continue his attack on another church
Branch AME church also holds a bible study on Wednesday evenings..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4249114/Dylann-Roof-stopped-second-black-church.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Dylann Roof's trial done, prosecutors seek stiffer penalty for friend who failed to report plot

"Federal prosecutors want a hefty prison sentence for the friend who sat idle as Dylann Roof carried out the deadly attack on Emanuel AME Church, signaling Monday their hope to send a message about the seriousness of his inaction.

Their court filing struck a different tone from Joey Meek's agreement to plead guilty to misprision of a felony and lying to federal agents after the June 2015 hate-motivated slayings in Charleston.

If he had contributed significantly to Roof's prosecution, Meek's deal would have called on the authorities to seek lesser prison time than normally prescribed by sentencing guidelines.

But Roof's death penalty trial ended earlier this year without Meek taking the witness stand against the white supremacist who he spent time with in the weeks before the massacre. Roof, 22, was convicted of 33 federal counts and sentenced to die.

That prompted prosecutors to reverse course on Meek, who is set to be sentenced at 11 a.m. Thursday in U.S. District Court in Charleston. Instead of seeking a prison term on the low end of the range allowed by law, they plan to ask Judge Richard Gergel for a penalty on the higher side. The 22-year-old Lexington County man could get up to eight years behind bars...."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_56b46bcc-fd18-11e6-9d9d-63938be3d4a0.html
---

Summary of Meek interview with FBI (5 pages)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-a931-f32a2ee37856/58b49ac6b3b62.pdf.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States v. Dylann Roof

"In early January, three weeks into the federal trial of Dylann Roof, who killed nine black people in a church in Charleston, South Carolina, in June 2015, a prison guard named Lauren Knapp gave testimony about The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Officer Knapp is a lanky woman with short bleached hair and a blunt manner who does not bring to mind a scholar of German Romanticism. From the witness chair Knapp said that in early August 2015, while reading the correspondence of prisoners, looking for references to gangs or to crimes, she came upon the “young Werther letter.”

The two-page text was the first outgoing note written by Roof at the Charleston County Detention Center. Its swooning prose sounded strange to Knapp, who took down a sentence or two and discovered, using a search engine, that these matched an English edition of The Sorrows of Young Werther—“the German book,” she called it. Knapp learned that “the German book” was a novel about unrequited love whose narrator commits suicide and that “it was supposed to have started a suicide fever.” After that, Knapp said, “it was decided to put prisoner Roof on suicide protocol.”...

—This is the first of two articles...."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/03/09/united-states-versus-dylann-roof/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Students Respond to Dylann Roof Trial

"The federal criminal trial of Dylann Roof fascinated me. I followed the trial closely and jumped at the chance to write this article because I wanted to discuss the trial with others. I assumed law students would be eager to talk with me about it too. I was shocked when only one law student contacted me to speak about the trial. Every other person I convinced to speak with me requested anonymity, and, to my surprise, many students admitted that they did not follow the trial at all.

Despite their reluctance, I learned that regardless of students’ stance on the morality of the death penalty, few were satisfied with the outcome of the case. Those who generally supported the death penalty and believed that Dylann Roof deserved to be executed expressed exasperation at the endless appeals sure to follow. Students who were against the death penalty felt demoralized at the thought of the government putting someone they felt was mentally ill to death.

There were a few things that students on either side of the death penalty debate had in common...."

http://www.wlulawnews.com/?p=2558
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Dylann Roof's trial done, prosecutors seek stiffer penalty for friend who failed to report plot

"Federal prosecutors want a hefty prison sentence for the friend who sat idle as Dylann Roof carried out the deadly attack on Emanuel AME Church, signaling Monday their hope to send a message about the seriousness of his inaction.

Their court filing struck a different tone from Joey Meek's agreement to plead guilty to misprision of a felony and lying to federal agents after the June 2015 hate-motivated slayings in Charleston.

If he had contributed significantly to Roof's prosecution, Meek's deal would have called on the authorities to seek lesser prison time than normally prescribed by sentencing guidelines.

But Roof's death penalty trial ended earlier this year without Meek taking the witness stand against the white supremacist who he spent time with in the weeks before the massacre. Roof, 22, was convicted of 33 federal counts and sentenced to die.

That prompted prosecutors to reverse course on Meek, who is set to be sentenced at 11 a.m. Thursday in U.S. District Court in Charleston. Instead of seeking a prison term on the low end of the range allowed by law, they plan to ask Judge Richard Gergel for a penalty on the higher side. The 22-year-old Lexington County man could get up to eight years behind bars...."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_56b46bcc-fd18-11e6-9d9d-63938be3d4a0.html
---

Summary of Meek interview with FBI (5 pages)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-a931-f32a2ee37856/58b49ac6b3b62.pdf.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States v. Dylann Roof

"In early January, three weeks into the federal trial of Dylann Roof, who killed nine black people in a church in Charleston, South Carolina, in June 2015, a prison guard named Lauren Knapp gave testimony about The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Officer Knapp is a lanky woman with short bleached hair and a blunt manner who does not bring to mind a scholar of German Romanticism. From the witness chair Knapp said that in early August 2015, while reading the correspondence of prisoners, looking for references to gangs or to crimes, she came upon the “young Werther letter.”

The two-page text was the first outgoing note written by Roof at the Charleston County Detention Center. Its swooning prose sounded strange to Knapp, who took down a sentence or two and discovered, using a search engine, that these matched an English edition of The Sorrows of Young Werther—“the German book,” she called it. Knapp learned that “the German book” was a novel about unrequited love whose narrator commits suicide and that “it was supposed to have started a suicide fever.” After that, Knapp said, “it was decided to put prisoner Roof on suicide protocol.”...

—This is the first of two articles...."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/03/09/united-states-versus-dylann-roof/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Students Respond to Dylann Roof Trial

"The federal criminal trial of Dylann Roof fascinated me. I followed the trial closely and jumped at the chance to write this article because I wanted to discuss the trial with others. I assumed law students would be eager to talk with me about it too. I was shocked when only one law student contacted me to speak about the trial. Every other person I convinced to speak with me requested anonymity, and, to my surprise, many students admitted that they did not follow the trial at all.

Despite their reluctance, I learned that regardless of students’ stance on the morality of the death penalty, few were satisfied with the outcome of the case. Those who generally supported the death penalty and believed that Dylann Roof deserved to be executed expressed exasperation at the endless appeals sure to follow. Students who were against the death penalty felt demoralized at the thought of the government putting someone they felt was mentally ill to death.

There were a few things that students on either side of the death penalty debate had in common...."

http://www.wlulawnews.com/?p=2558
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go our justice system

He admiited it he is on camera

case closed

a bunch of nonsnese IMO

fund mental health help

dude your on camera

cops we see you shooting people in the back

guilty

go to prsion

next case

nonsnesne

Court filings contain Joey Meek's apology, letters to families of Emanuel AME shooting victims

"Joey Meek was so high on cocaine and booze that he didn't realize his friend Dylann Roof was serious when he detailed his plans to shoot people at an AME church in Charleston in June 2015, according to newly unsealed court filings from Meek's attorney.

The documents also include a statement from Meek to the judge who will sentence him in which he apologized for sitting idle while Roof carried out the deadly attack on Emanuel AME Church.

Meek has pleaded guilty to misprision of a felony and lying to federal agents after the hate-motivated slayings of nine black worshippers....

The documents unsealed Tuesday show that Meek's lawyer, Deborah Barbier of Columbia, submitted a lengthy motion last week arguing for a much lighter prison term for her client — somewhere below the range of 27 to 33 months specified in the federal sentencing guidelines. She argued that Meek was abused as a child, suffered a history of mental illness and substance abuse, and would likely suffer undue punishment if subject to solitary confinement in prison to protect his safety.

Among other mental illnesses, Meek has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, bipolar mania, depression, anxiety and disruptive behavior disorder, the motion states, adding that he began using drugs at the age of 12. He also was abused and exposed to domestic violence as a child, the document states....

Meek was not "legally required" to report Roof's plans, federal prosecutors explained Monday, but not doing so deprived police of any chance to prevent the shooting and should be considered in his sentencing. Some of Meek's relatives said he never believed Roof, but prosecutors said Meek took the threats of violence seriously enough to get a weapon to protect himself if Roof came back to his home."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_7bf52544-fdee-11e6-8b74-735de76099c9.html
---

Meek's letters to Emanuel families (16 handwritten pages)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-938e-0fafdf4e8e6c/58b5e726481a4.pdf.pdf
---

Statement of Joseph Carlton Meek (2 pages)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-a093-674161dd19a6/58b5e2e23ce11.pdf.pdf
----

Meek defense motion (32 pages)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e6-bddd-8f9cd62815f9/58b5e32c39b83.pdf.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge grants continuance in Joey Meek trial

"CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) —
Joey Meek will get an extra three months to prepare for his trial after the court granted his motion for a continuance until May on Wednesday...

If convicted, the 21-year-old Meek faces as many as three years in prison on the misprision charge and five years for lying to investigators.

Roof, also 21, faces nine counts of murder in state court and dozens of federal charges, including hate crimes. Approximately 600 potential jurors will be called for Roof's trial, and a schedule has been set in that case that leads up to the planned July 11 start."

http://abcnews4.com/news/emanuel-am...nuel-ame-shooter-asks-for-3-month-continuance
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL news today:

Political News
Dylann Roof's friend gets over 2 years for hindering FBI

By JEFFREY COLLINS, Associated Press
CHARLESTON, S.C. —

During a night of vodka, cocaine, marijuana and video games, Joey Meek listened as a childhood buddy confided that he hated blacks so much he was going to kill them at a Charleston church.

. . .
For those crimes, Meek, 22, was sentenced Tuesday to more than two years in prison.

http://www.wral.com/dylann-roof-s-friend-is-going-to-prison-for-lying-to-fbi/16597234/

From Raleigh, NC, The News & Observer:

National

March 31, 2017 2:37 PM
Charleston church shooter to plead guilty to murder charges

By MEG KINNARD Associated Press COLUMBIA, S.C. Convicted South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof is set to plead guilty to state murder charges, avoiding a second death sentence and effectively bringing to a close the prosecutions against him for the 2015 slaughter.
Solicitor Scarlett Wilson told The Associated Press on Friday that Roof is scheduled to enter a guilty plea during a hearing on April 10 in Charleston. The plea on all of his state charges, including nine counts of murder, comes in exchange for a sentence of life in prison, the prosecutor said.

Does anyone know if the felon is representing himself again?

Does anyone know if the felon is representing himself again?

If this case proceeds as indicated, i.e., Roof pleading Guilty, there will only be a short hearing for Roof to plead Guilty for the record of the State and the Court, and for the prosecution to accept the plea, and for the judge to sentence Roof. That should be the extent of the procedure. Then he will be the responsibility of the Corrections Dept. of SC (or whatever the proper name for the prison system for SC), and Roof will be carried off to SC prison -- especially now while Roof's appeal on the Federal case is examined, as the article above stated. Whatever the case, Roof should be incarcerated until his death, however it occurs. In most states, if a person takes a plea, he cedes his right to appeal -- if this is so in SC, he will at least be in a SC prison for life without parole. He's done, folks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back