SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a lawyer is able to chime in... I'm confused why the judge would allow this. I did not actually think his request would be granted. You're either your own lawyer, or you're not. If he doesn't represent himself adequately in the sentencing phase, can that be an appeal issue? Or do you give up the right to claim ineffectual counsel when you represent yourself, knowing the risks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster Dec 5
JUST IN: Just got the demographics for the #DylannRoof jury pool. 12 jurors, 6 alts will be chosen from this pool. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Cy8vB01XcAc3Gff.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 3h3 hours ago
Karina Bolster Retweeted Live5News
JUST IN: David Bruck, #DylannRoof's attorney, also wants to question jury pool about opinions in #SlagerTrial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Live5NewsVerified account
‏@Live5News
AP: Lawyers for Dylann Roof want delay picking jury because of publicity surrounding Michael Slager mistrial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#DylannRoof's attorneys believe jurors will feel pressured into making guilty verdict b/c of mistrial in #SlagerTrial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzBd4KIXEAEZc5x.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 3h3 hours ago
Defense does NOT feel jurors will treat #DylannRoof more harshly out fear of repercussions if there's leniency. #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzBezT5WIAAewyJ.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense also filed a motion today to strike the entire panel of 67 jurors for #DylannRoof's federal trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Judge Gergel denied motion, citing #DylannRoof was representing himself during jury selection, & had chance to ask ?s. #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzBf_feXUAAGDzQ.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 1h1 hour ago
BREAKING: Judge Richard Gergel responds to #DylannRoof's attorneys DENYING their motion to delay the start of trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Judge Gergel states can't delay a trial because of a breaking news story such as the mistrial of Michael Slager. #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzB1eRYW8AE2j9q.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/KRBolster
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mistrial declared in case of South Carolina officer who shot Walter Scott after traffic stop

"A jury deadlocked Monday in the case of a former South Carolina police officer charged with murder after he was recorded on video last year firing a barrage of bullets at the back of Walter Scott, a fleeing driver, in one of the most high-profile shootings to rattle the nation in recent years.

“We as the jury regret to inform the court that despite the best efforts of all members, we are unable to come to a unanimous decision,” the jury wrote in a note that Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman read aloud in the courtroom.

Newman declared a mistrial shortly before 3:40 p.m. and thanked the jurors for their “hard work in trying to reach a unanimous verdict in this case.” Prosecutors as well as attorneys for Michael Slager, the former officer, also thanked the jurors for their effort in the case. Several jurors wiped tears from their eyes as Newman made his announcement following more than 20 hours of deliberations...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tt-after-traffic-stop/?utm_term=.eceb35445fae

Dylann Roof trial moves ahead into new legal terrain

"...Roof's attorneys on Tuesday asked the judge to delay the trial's start given the freshness of Slager's hung jury.

"The Slager mistrial, declared less than 48 hours before the scheduled start of the trial in this case, is highly likely to create undue pressure on the jury to compensate for the judicial system’s apparent failure to punish Mr. Slager by imposing a harsher punishment here," defense attorneys wrote.

U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel blasted the motion when he denied it just hours later, calling the argument "utterly far-fetched and illogical to the Court."...

New legal terrain

• If Roof gets the death penalty, he apparently will become the first in America to receive the ultimate punishment in a federal trial involving hate crimes. The federal government has sought execution in hate crimes trials seven times before. Five resulted in guilty pleas; two received life sentences, according to the Federal Death Penalty Resource Counsel Project's database.

• Experts couldn't point to another federal death penalty case in which a judge agreed in advance to let attorneys represent a defendant in one phase of the trial but the defendant to act as their own attorney in another. Roof's defense team will represent him during the guilt phase of his trial, but he will act as his own attorney for the penalty portion....

• Never in modern times have both state and federal prosecutors sought someone’s execution simultaneously, experts said. Roof's federal jury will be impaneled Wednesday. His state death penalty trial is scheduled to begin less than six weeks later...

Never before have federal and state prosecutors pursued death penalty cases against the same person at the same time, said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center in Washington, D.C.

Typically, state and federal prosecutors agree which case should take a back seat. ..."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a lawyer is able to chime in... I'm confused why the judge would allow this. I did not actually think his request would be granted. You're either your own lawyer, or you're not. If he doesn't represent himself adequately in the sentencing phase, can that be an appeal issue? Or do you give up the right to claim ineffectual counsel when you represent yourself, knowing the risks?

My specialty isn't criminal law, but if you're pro se, you can't then argue that you had ineffective assistance of counsel on appeal. In order to represent yourself in a criminal proceeding you have to jump through a number of hoops, which I won't go into here. Trial judges do not allow people to go "pro se" lightly—and quite often there is an attorney standing by to offer counsel and guidance to the pro se defendant. That said, case law does establish that if you decide in your original trial to represent yourself and are convicted of the crime, you cannot then later argue you had ineffective representation—whether you're arguing this is during the trial phase or during the sentencing phase.

I don't have the case law in front of me, but I can pull it up if anyone is interested. I believe it's Faretta v. California (a U.S. Supreme Ct. case) that both helps establish the hoops one needs to jump through to represent ones' self, as well as establishes the fact that you cannot then later say you had ineffective representation. HOWEVER, and this is a big caveat, it's been a LONG time since I've had to think about that so without reading the case law it's just my gut instinct. So, until I take some time to go back and do some research and actually read the opinion (not to mention that I don't practice in S.C.), this is just an educated opinion, not set forth as absolute fact. :)

Hope that helps!

P.S. If you could represent yourself and then argue ineffective counsel, we'd see it all the time. But as the saying goes, "You can't have your cake and eat it too!" ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I half expected Roof to ask for his lawyers before things got started -- he is smart enuff to know that he needs people who know the law. To refuse this request would definitely be grounds for an appeal if Roof were convicted.

Thanks....all that makes sense. He is smarter and knows or has done alot of research while in jail to beable to request all this. Normal inmates would not think of it. IMO, DP may be his fate....the guilt is already known. I hope the Judge is able to rein him in if he starts on his cause.

Often, defendants want to try to represent themselves because: (a) they think they are smarter than everyone, including their attorney, the judge, the jury, and the entire legal system; (b) they think they'll have an easier time going off on whatever they want to do/say during trial, including long soliloquies, witness intimidation while being questioned, etc.; (c) they want to see every piece of evidence the prosecution has, which the defense isn't always willing to share with the defendant; (d) they think by representing themselves they can get their points across while never having to take the stand, in an effort to get the jury to sympathize with them but avoid cross examination; (e) they are basically delusional. (OK, the last one was an overstated joke, but even the best attorney in the world knows better than to represent him or herself!)

While the judge gives a pro se defendant some leeway during the trial proceedings, they are reined in. A pro se defendant isn't allowed to go off on rants, long monologues, harassing witnesses, etc. They're held to the same standards as an attorney, with some leeway for not having the training an attorney would have. It's a delicate balancing act for the judge, but on the occasional tv drama where you have a pro se defendant who seems to be given free rein in the courtroom are not real—they are what they are, tv drama.

While I haven't seen any pro se defendants in person myself, I do know enough judges to know they wouldn't let them run around doing what they wanted. Without doing further research this is all educated opinion, not concrete fact—that said, hopefully another attorney with a criminal defense background could weigh in and clear this all up. In the meantime, I'm hoping this will help quell any fears of what DP may attempt to do during the trial or sentencing phase.

Often, defendants want to try to represent themselves because: (a) they think they are smarter than everyone, including their attorney, the judge, the jury, and the entire legal system; (b) they think they'll have an easier time going off on whatever they want to do/say during trial, including long soliloquies, witness intimidation while being questioned, etc.; (c) they want to see every piece of evidence the prosecution has, which the defense isn't always willing to share with the defendant; (d) they think by representing themselves they can get their points across while never having to take the stand, in an effort to get the jury to sympathize with them but avoid cross examination; (e) they are basically delusional. (OK, the last one was an overstated joke, but even the best attorney in the world knows better than to represent him or herself!)

While the judge gives a pro se defendant some leeway during the trial proceedings, they are reined in. A pro se defendant isn't allowed to go off on rants, long monologues, harassing witnesses, etc. They're held to the same standards as an attorney, with some leeway for not having the training an attorney would have. It's a delicate balancing act for the judge, but on the occasional tv drama where you have a pro se defendant who seems to be given free rein in the courtroom are not real—they are what they are, tv drama.

While I haven't seen any pro se defendants in person myself, I do know enough judges to know they wouldn't let them run around doing what they wanted. Without doing further research this is all educated opinion, not concrete fact—that said, hopefully another attorney with a criminal defense background could weigh in and clear this all up. In the meantime, I'm hoping this will help quell any fears of what DP may attempt to do during the trial or sentencing phase.

Thanks Dr. K......will be an interesting trial.

Is this where you are following the trial? Live blogging here now:

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/federal-hate-crimes-trial-for-dylann-roof-set-to-begin-today

10:57
Richardson says ROof bought the gun, started stockpiling ammunition -- hollowpoint rounds. Mentally and physically he prepared, did target practice, and put himself in the state of mind "to do what he had to do," Richardson said.
Comments(0)

10:56
Richardson says the government will show the choices Roof made in the months leading to the shooting, the racist searches online, how he found a target, scouted the area, made a call in February before the shooting, and then weeks before stopping someone on the street and asked about services.
"He chose that church because of the impact it would have, the manner it would resonate across the nation."
Comments(0)

10:55
Richardson says it neared its close, they stood, closed their eyes in prayer, and "at that point in time the defendant made clear what he had been planning for months."
He was not there to hear the good word of find the lord, he was there to kill, Richardson says.
He had a Glock 45 pistol.
Comments(0)

10:54
Richardson says Roof seemed harmless, but they did not know of his cold and hateful heart.

They gathered around 4 tables, Rev. Pinckney offered him a seat and a bible, the handout Myra made for study, and they state together for nearly an hour as they discussed and read the passage for study.
Comments(0)

10:53
The 12th person there was Polly Sheppard, "a backbone of Mother Emanuel's operation." When she was not at church, she was a lifelong nurse and mother to four boys and devoted wife.

10:24
The jury is being sworn in.
Gergel greets them, and gives them some basic instructions on the trial. He tells them to find the facts in all the evidence of the case, and then use the law as he gives it to them to make a decision.

09:54

From dlborlando: Will the trial be televised at all?
No, there are no still or video camera feeds allowed in federal court. We will work from a sketch artist in the courtroom.

Will be a break every 90 minutes and we will have an hour lunch break. Lunch is provided to the jurors. He hopes to end court between 5-6pm each day.

Jurors instructed to signal court officer if they need a break

Inside media room at federal courthouse in Charleston. #DylannRoof's jury selection will take place this morning. #chsnews #RoofTria

Several families members of the victims are here today for #DylannRoof's federal trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

I saw the youngest children of Sharonda Coleman-Singleton walk into an elevator. I have not seen Chris Singleton. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 2h2 hours ago
In the next few minutes all 67 potential jurors will gather in the courtroom for the striking process. #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzFH4YjW8AAorBV.jpg

Judge has just entered the courtroom. Jury striking process expected to begin very shortly. #chsnews #RoofTrial

JUST IN: #DylannRoof's attorneys file his official plea in the federal murder case. "Not Guilty". #chsnews #RoofTrial

CzFJnc_WEAEAh90.jpg

Right now roll call is underway for all 67 potential jurors in the courtroom. So far it sounds like everyone is present. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Government/Defense now go back and forth striking jurors. Do not have to give a cause at this point. #chsnews #RoofTrial

So far 36 potential jurors have been struck in the jury selection process. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Prosecution used 19 out of 20 strikes. Plans to hold off and use at another time. Defense struck 20 potential jurors. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Prosecution/Defense now do alternate strikes in the jury pool. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Jurors who were not struck are now being called to the jury box. 12 have been called. #chsnews #RoofTrial

6 alternate jurors called to jury box. It sounds like there is officially a panel of jurors for #DylannRoof's trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

The 18 jurors now leave the jury box. Judge Richard Gergel will address the rest of the juror who were struck. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Judge Richard Gergel now releases the jurors who were not selected to serve on #DylannRoof's federal murder trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Court is now in recess as jurors leave courtroom and public enters the courtroom. Opening statements to follow. #chsnews #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameras are back on in the media room. Looks like a packed courtroom for #DylannRoof's federal trial. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 2h2 hours ago
The cameras are now pointed at the gov't and defense. Roof is in a jail jumpsuit. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

#DylannRoof can be seen sitting beside his attorneys in his jail jumpsuit. Prosecution is up and walking around. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Prosecutor Jay Richardson is wearing a dark suit and a purple tie. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

No motions from the gov't. No motions from the defense. The jury is being brought in now. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Judge Richard Gergel is back in the courtroom. Panel of jurors are brought back in the room. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Opening statements are set to begin momentarily. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Roof occupies the third seat of the defense table. He's surrounded by his attorneys. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurors are sworn in for trial. Judge now charges the jury ahead of the opening statements. Explains the roll of a jury. #chsnews #RoofTrial

The other day, Gergel said his opening statements will be pretty "vanilla." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Gergel continues to have a cordial, friendly tone toward the jurors. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He's wearing the usual judge's robe with a brown tie. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Gergel: "Burden of Proof" a defendant is presumed innocent until Govt can prove beyond a reasonable doubt he is guilty. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Remember, this is the 'guilt phase' of the trial. Jurors will determine if #DylannRoof is guilty or not. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

#DylannRoof is pleading not guilty. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

"It is the burden of the gov't to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt," Gergel says to jurors. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Judge Richard Gergel now reads off the names of the 9 men and women who were killed in the #MotherEmanuel shooting. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Gergel also reads off names of survivors in the #MotherEmanuel shooting. #DylannRoof face 3 counts of attempted murder. #chsnews #RoofTrial

As Judge Gergel goes through charges, #DylannRoof sits at table with his head slightly down, eyes focused on the desk. #chsnews #RoofTrial

His attorney, David Bruck, is shuffling through papers. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Gergel is reading each charge to the jurors. There are 33 in all. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

According to pool courtroom reporter - #DylannRoof's jury makeup: 2 black women, 8 white women, 1 white man, 1 black man #chsnews #RoofTrial

At this time I don't know demographics of 6 alt jurors who will also sit for the trial. Hope to get that info soon. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson sips from a water bottle. He sits at the other end of the table (nearer the jury) now. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"Stay away from any media coverage," Gergel instructs jurors. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He tells them they'll be more informed than anyone else anyway. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"There is no place more secure than this courthouse," Gergel tells them. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 1h1 hour ago
"The defendant has nothing to prove," Gergel tells them as he continues charging the jurors. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is the government ready for opening statement?" Gergel asks. "We are, your honor," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Jury charge is over. Opening statements will begin now. Prosecution will go first. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Is the government ready for opening statement?" Gergel asks. "We are, your honor," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Prosecutor Jay Richardson now stands in front of jury box addressing the jurors for his opening statements. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson starts off with a descriptive narrative of the day it happened. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He says it was a hot and muggy day in Charleston. "It was Myra Thompson's first time" at the study, he says. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"She was excited," Richardson says. And she encouraged others to stick around. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson tells jury three people had just received their preaching certificates on June 17, 2015. #chsnews #RoofTrial

He says Rev. Pinckney was there that night with his wife and youngest daughter. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

On the screen, an iconic image of Rev. Pinckney inside Emanuel A.M.E. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Roof continues to stare at the table in front of him. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

As he continues his passionate statement, an image of each victim appears on the screen. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says a few people stayed for bible study. Rev. Clementa Pinckney stayed w/ his wife and youngest daughter. #chsnews #RoofTrial

As Richardson speaks about the night, he introduces all of the victims, showing pictures to them. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Sharonda was a ray of sunshine... When she wasn't at church... she was a loving mother to her 3 children." - Richardson #chsnews #RoofTrial

#DylannRoof continues to keep his focus straight ahead during Govt opening statement. Roof's attorneys watch Richardson. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Cynthia Hurd had come to the church that afternoon to drop something off," he says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

But he says she stayed to join in on the excitement of Bible Study. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"They were also joined that evening by Tywanza Sanders," he says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

On the screen, a picture of Tywanza smiling. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson re: Susie Jackson. "She was proud matriarch of Jackson family. One of the largest families at #MotherEmanuel" #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson: Tywanza Sanders had gotten off work, & headed to bible study on that night, joining his mother, Felicia. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson now says the group at bible study welcomed #DylannRoof into the group. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson stands in front of the gov't table and faces the jury as he passionately speaks. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He seemed to the twelve to be harmless," Richardson says of Roof. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Pinckney pulled out a chair for Roof and gave him a bible. Read for about 30 minutes. #chsnews #RoofTrial

He says they didn't know he had a "cold and hateful heart." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Rev. Pinckney offered #DylannRoof a chair beside him, a Bible, and a handout to study. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

As it began to draw to a close, they stood to close eyes and pray. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: near end, all stood, closed eyes for prayer, & defendant made clear "what he had been planning for months." #chsnews #RoofTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Instead of Bible Study, the defendant chose to bring a Glock .45 caliber pistol," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says they will show the jury the array of evidence of how #DylannRoof planned the attack on #MotherEmanuel. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"We'll show you the array of choices he made in the months leading to that ... moment," Richardson tells jury. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He says he scouted the church in repeated trips and made a phone call to the church. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Roof made multiple trips to Chas, planning attack. Says Roof was aware of #MotherEmanuel's significance. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"He chose that church because the impact it would have," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He bought that Glock" in April of 2015 and stockpiled ammo, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says he conducted target practice and mentally prepared himself for the attack. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says on June 17, #DylannRoof drove an hour and a half from Columbia thinking about what he would be doing. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"As the parishioners gathered that afternoon ... the defendant got into his car and drove from Columbia to Charleston," he says. #RoofTrial

"As the 12 stood to offer their prayers ... the defendant pulled the pistol out of his pouch and pulled the trigger," Richardson says.

Eleven rounds in eight magazines, Richardson says. 88 rounds. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: #DylannRoof shot Rev. Pinckney "over & over again. Others dove under tables. Simmons tried to get to Roof. "#chsnews #RoofTrial

He shot Rev. Pinckney over and over again, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Some dove under the table. Rev. Simmons tried to intervene. He was shot again and again. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"The defendant turned on the others," Richardson says. "Feeling the recoil each time." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He tossed the magazine aside and loaded yet another," he says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He says Roof found Polly Sheppard praying out loud. Asked her if she'd been shot after he told her to shut up. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Govt: #DylannRoof found Polly Sheppard praying out loud "He would keep her alive to tell his story of what he had done." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson says he left her alive "to tell his story." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"As this went on, Tywanza Sanders interjected," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTri

At that point, Sanders had already been shot. He told Roof, "We mean you no harm." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Tywanza stood up to #DylannRoof, "You don't need to do this. We mean no harm." #chsnews #RoofTrial

#DylannRoof told Tywanza he had to do this. "You are raping our women." Richardson says he then shot him several times. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Y'all are raping our white women. Y'all are taking over the world," Roof told him, according to Richardson. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He then shot Tywanza Sanders repeatedly, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: Felicia Sanders and her granddaughter played dead for a long time while all of this was happening. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Miraculously ... Ms. Felicia's granddaughter was not harmed," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Gunfire pierced the walls into the fellowship hall, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Jennifer Pinckney and her daughter managed to escape the shooting physically unharmed. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"As media personnel responded ... the defendant walked out" to a deserted parking lot, Richardson says. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: #DylannRoof got into the car, slipped away into the night. We will prove action was "cold and calculated." #chsnews #RoofTria

Richardson says he'll prove to the jury that it was a calculated attack with malice. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: #DylannRoof also wrote a manifesto. He bought a website in Feb. 2015 and made posts to it. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Meanwhile, Roof continues to look down at the defense table. Hands are in his lap. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richadson: Before #DylannRoof hopped in car, went to his dad's house, typed out his manifesto. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"He also wrote a manifesto" that would be read across the world, Richardson says. Posted on a Russian server. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Roof typed the manifesto that afternoon at his father's #ColumbiaSC home. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: Manifesto - Roof claimed that segregation and slavery "weren't all that bad". #chsnews #RoofTrial

"He discussed black-on-white crime, claiming it to be a problem ignored by Americans," Richardson says. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Roof's manifesto wasn't just about retribution. "A call to arms". "Time to get country back from blacks" #Chsnews #RoofTrial

"But he explained [whites] must not wait any longer to take drastic action," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"The defendant's version of drastic action was to execute good, innocent parishioners," Richardson says. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Roof took thousands of photos leading up to the attack. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He posed with the murder weapon in a variety of ways," he says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He burned the American flag but proudly displayed the Confederate Flag, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He left behind a journal, Richardson says. "It went even further," he says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He included in his journal his brand, his logo, his self-designed symbol of his hatred," Richardson says. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

It included the number 88, which stands for 'Heil Hitler.' #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He left behind an additional camera as well, containing thousands of pictures. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Richardson says Roof was found the next morning in #NC. He was on his way to Nashville. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: "After he was arrested you will learn he wanted to continue to spread his message." #chsnews #RoofTrial

"The defendant wanted to continue to tell that story," Richardson says. "He confessed fully." #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson: "When an FBI agents sat down with him, he confessed. Describing what he had done." #chsnews #RoofTria

He described the act to the FBI, Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"I went to church that night. I did it. I killed them," he reportedly told them. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Richardson says Roof told FBI about his target b/c "he knew he could find African Americans there." #chsnews #RoofTria

Richarson says Roof told FBI agent targeting #MotherEmanuel would "pose little risk to himself." #chsnews #RoofTrial

"He knew that an attack there would magnify his message," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"He almost just walked out the door," Richardson says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agave1993