SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moreover, the Landowners asserted in many affidavits that they have used the Property for recreational and hunting purposes for the past forty years.   Landowner Murdaugh asserted that the Georgia Department of Transportation (the “GDOT”) gave him a key to the gate surrounding the Island in the early 1970s, and Landowner Eltzroth asserted that the GDOT gave him a key in 1985.   The Government has not contested the truth of the Landowners' affidavits.   Furthermore, the GDOT letter that accompanied Eltzroth's key stated in part:

FindLaw's United States Fourth Circuit case and opinions.

geeezzzz .

Elley..can you explain more. I have either missed or forgotten some details .....

As noted earlier, according to Colleton county property records Murdaugh paid Boulware’s wife five dollars for Moselle. However, the transfer deed (.pdf) dated April 15, 2013 referenced the “exchange of like-kind replacement property” totaling $730,000 – part of a “multi-property, non-simultaneous, tax-free exchange transaction” entered into between Boulware and Murdaugh. Typically such transactions – which are authorized by section 1031 of the U.S. internal revenue code – allow the seller to avoid capital gains taxes so long as they invest any proceeds of the sale into the purchase of other properties.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh’s Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered

Two months before he died, however, Boulware surrendered control of the properties – and everything else in his life – to Murdaugh.

On July 6, 2018, Boulware granted power of attorney to Alex Murdaugh – authorizing his attorney and business partner to “lease, let, take possession, bargain, sell, assign, convey, pledge, mortgage and encumber, repair, insure and generally manage any and all property, both real and personal, which I own, or may hereafter acquire from any source.”

The instrument Boulware signed just prior to his death also authorized Murdaugh to “sign, execute and deliver any and all legal documents” in his name, and to “deposit any monies received from any source whatever for me, and in my name with any bank, and to draw and deliver checks in my name against said monies and other monies to be deposited in my name or to my credit.”

Boulware further authorized Murdaugh to “do all things necessary concerning any insurance policies, including the right to change beneficiary,” and was even granted control over “decisions regarding my health and healthcare.”

Finally, the document made clear any decisions made by Murdaugh regarding Boulware’s assets would be “binding on myself and my heirs.”

While Boulware passed away more than three years ago, he is still listed as the co-owner of multiple properties with Alex Murdaugh – and numerous additional properties are owned by a holding company bearing the names of both men. This news outlet performed a records search of several Beaufort county properties, in particular, and the results were revealing.

Nine properties in particular are located at strategic access points on – or around – St. Helena Island, the hotbed of the drug trade during “Operation Jackpot.” Several of these properties do not have addresses – because there are no streets accessing them.

One property record referenced “islands” in and around Harbor River, which separates St. Helena Island from three barrier islands – Hunting Island, Fripp Island and Pritchards Island. Of those three islands, only Fripp is developed. Hunting Island is a state park, while Pritchards Island is almost completely uninhabited.

Beaufort county records refer to these jointly owned properties in one of two ways. Three of the island properties – ranging in size from 5.05 to 20 acres – are classified as “forest.” Six of the properties – ranging in size from .28 acres to 1.38 acres – are listed as islands with “boat access only.”

Two of the islands have residential structures on them – accessible only by boat. However, only one of the residential properties is owned by the Barrett-Murdaugh holding company. The other island is subdivided.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh’s Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered

Hey @MandyMatney, surely your "sources" have confirmed that medical records establish that Alex Murdaugh was shot in the head. If not, I will wager you a bottle of Daufuskie Island Rum. What do you say?

— Jim Griffin (@lawyergriffin) October 6, 2021

Remember this ?

SCMurdaugh Murders: Alex Murdaugh’s Attorney Admits His Client Is A Person Of Interest

Murdaugh Murders: Alex Murdaugh’s Attorney Admits His Client Is A Person Of Interest

In response to Griffin’s odd bet, I asked him to show proof of these supposed medical records.

If you have the medical records, why don’t you send them to [email protected] ?

Hospital pictures would be good too (from the correct hospital, not the one you sent reporters to).

Also your wager shows your confidence level ? https://t.co/abNduztZr3

— Mandy Matney (@MandyMatney) October 6, 2021

Got em. So does your source. They will be released at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. I'm in for Pappy. You name it

— Jim Griffin (@lawyergriffin) October 6, 2021

Are you following?

In a public forum, Griffin taunted a journalist and bet a bottle of rum on medical records that he did not have and then admitted to another journalist of not having those records just days later.

He said they’ve had trouble getting his client’s medical records from Memorial Health Hospital in Savannah, Georgia. He claimed that HIPPA was holding them up and said something about a “signature that did not match.”

Hmm….

Griffin claimed his client has completed his first stage of rehab and is now in a “long-term facility” outside of South Carolina.

I’m glad the media is at least making a mention of these murders that are getting little attention it seems.

Maggie Murdaugh was spending time in the family's Edisto home that spring, Griffin said, but only because she was working on renovations there. Griffin said the pair would text each other affectionate messages each night before going to bed.

Alex Murdaugh lawyer shares more details on unsolved murders, staged shooting in interview

Murdaugh was visiting with his mother, who has dementia, and watching a game show with her and a caregiver, Griffin said.

Griffin disclosed that Murdaugh had sought medical treatment for his addiction in the past, spending a week in detox while telling his friends and coworkers he was on vacation. But Murdaugh had never stuck with the program and stayed for rehab, his attorney said.

Griffin said, Murdaugh tried to meet with close friends that day to come clean. One of those friends refused to see him. At some point that day, Murdaugh "lost his will to live," Griffin said.

“They clearly document massive head bleeding," Griffin said of the records, which Alcorn also reviewed. "There is blood through the bandage. There is blood around the neck brace. There is blood on the stomach. And they open up the headwrap to try to evaluate the extent of the trauma and they can’t see it because there is so much blood matted in his hair.”

Griffin said he is still working to obtain Murdaugh's records from the Savannah hospital. He pledged to release those documents, along with the airlift records, once he gets them and obtains permission from Murdaugh.

Murdaugh allegedly admitted to South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) that he hired a hit man to shoot him along a rural Hampton County road on Sept. 4, so that his surviving son, 26-year-old Buster Murdaugh, could collect a $10 million life insurance policy. But attorney Jim Griffin explained he did not need to, since the suicide exemption was no longer effective.

Alex Murdaugh's lawyer details day of roadside shooting in alleged botched suicide scheme

"The irony of ironies in this, he had a significant life insurance policy," Griffin added. "He had a suicide exclusion, but that suicide exclusion was no longer valid because under South Carolina law, they’re only effective for two years. That policy was taken out more than two years ago. Alex was unaware of that. Had he known that, he did not need to involve anyone else."

Eta

We’re frustrated that we haven’t got those records," Griffin said. "We had a HIPA request signed by Alex when he was in Atlanta going through detox authorizing the hospital to give those records to my firm. We had sent that in.

He didn’t know.

Really?

Atlanta?

Murdaugh allegedly admitted to South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) that he hired a hit man to shoot him along a rural Hampton County road on Sept. 4, so that his surviving son, 26-year-old Buster Murdaugh, could collect a $10 million life insurance policy. But attorney Jim Griffin explained he did not need to, since the suicide exemption was no longer effective.

Alex Murdaugh's lawyer details day of roadside shooting in alleged botched suicide scheme

"The irony of ironies in this, he had a significant life insurance policy," Griffin added. "He had a suicide exclusion, but that suicide exclusion was no longer valid because under South Carolina law, they’re only effective for two years. That policy was taken out more than two years ago. Alex was unaware of that. Had he known that, he did not need to involve anyone else."

Eta

We’re frustrated that we haven’t got those records," Griffin said. "We had a HIPA request signed by Alex when he was in Atlanta going through detox authorizing the hospital to give those records to my firm. We had sent that in.

He didn’t know.

Really?

Atlanta?
Of course he knew about suicide clauses in insurance policies. I can’t figure out how he doesn’t have any money. Doing renovations at Edisto house? We’re they going to put it up for sale? If Maggie knew money was an issue then she probably wouldn’t have bought that Mercedes SUV.
And it sounds like Jim Griffin may have given Alex the attempted suicide plan. Course that was a cover.

And I guess Alex didn’t want that Mercedes to get too damaged since he knew it was probably going back.
Also how was he paying for insurance policies.
Nothing against MM but I can’t see her doing renovations. She had GS to help with boys and cleaning house.
I think she was supervising & scheduling.

Nothing against MM but I can’t see her doing renovations. She had GS to help with boys and cleaning house.
Insurance companies also frown on un-owner-occupied homes undergoing restoration/renovation. They really don't like that for some reason. Insurance quotes are based on owner occupancy.

Maggie Murdaugh was spending time in the family's Edisto home that spring, Griffin said, but only because she was working on renovations there. Griffin said the pair would text each other affectionate messages each night before going to bed.

Alex Murdaugh lawyer shares more details on unsolved murders, staged shooting in interview

Murdaugh was visiting with his mother, who has dementia, and watching a game show with her and a caregiver, Griffin said.

Griffin disclosed that Murdaugh had sought medical treatment for his addiction in the past, spending a week in detox while telling his friends and coworkers he was on vacation. But Murdaugh had never stuck with the program and stayed for rehab, his attorney said.

Griffin said, Murdaugh tried to meet with close friends that day to come clean. One of those friends refused to see him. At some point that day, Murdaugh "lost his will to live," Griffin said.

“They clearly document massive head bleeding," Griffin said of the records, which Alcorn also reviewed. "There is blood through the bandage. There is blood around the neck brace. There is blood on the stomach. And they open up the headwrap to try to evaluate the extent of the trauma and they can’t see it because there is so much blood matted in his hair.”

Griffin said he is still working to obtain Murdaugh's records from the Savannah hospital. He pledged to release those documents, along with the airlift records, once he gets them and obtains permission from Murdaugh.

I get that this case has a lot of moving parts, but did no one point out to Mr. Griffin MM's public Facebook post announcing she moved to Edisto in July 2020?

It seems ridiculous to me that he would cite renovations in spring of 2021 as her reason for spending time there with that public post out there. Just say that they split their time between the beach house and the hunting lodge (if that's the case).

Interesting to see AM's team cite the couples loving text messages again. They seem to feel pretty confident about the evidence of a loving relationship they gathered from his texts.

This case is fascinating and interesting and then I remember the innocent people that have lost their lives in the machinations of the Murdaugh family business. I'm a lawyer who has handled defense work on personal injury cases and so much of what happened with Ms. Satterfield's death does not not make sense. Initially, I thought she had fallen inside the house but after further reading it appears she was on steps outside the front of the house. It was an unwitnessed fall but AM admitted liability? All the money missing indicates there was a great deal more than an unaddressed addiction issue. I question how much he was actually practicing law; impaired attorneys are not hard to spot. His partners would clearly have been aware of his issues. Now it's been acknowledged AM has always been a POI in the shooting deaths of the wife and son. There are going to be more than a few disbarred lawyers when this is over.

This case is fascinating and interesting and then I remember the innocent people that have lost their lives in the machinations of the Murdaugh family business. I'm a lawyer who has handled defense work on personal injury cases and so much of what happened with Ms. Satterfield's death does not not make sense. Initially, I thought she had fallen inside the house but after further reading it appears she was on steps outside the front of the house. It was an unwitnessed fall but AM admitted liability? All the money missing indicates there was a great deal more than an unaddressed addiction issue. I question how much he was actually practicing law; impaired attorneys are not hard to spot. His partners would clearly have been aware of his issues. Now it's been acknowledged AM has always been a POI in the shooting deaths of the wife and son. There are going to be more than a few disbarred lawyers when this is over.

Welcome, CandiceC! Great to have an attorney on board who can give us additional insight and commentary! : )

AM's $100,000 reward expired Sept 30 and he did not renew it. Why? There is no statute of limitations on murder.

Also note that he, himself, has never made a public statement, a personal, heartfelt, open plea (read: video interview) to request any and all assistance to find those who gruesomely murdered his wife and son. Why? He's hidden behind his brothers, his lawyers and PR spokespeople. That's a very bad look for someone so high profile, one who's accustomed to being in the spotlight, speaking in public, someone who ostensibly wants to find the killers.

His lapsed reward and personal silence are damning. Yes, he has no obligation to offer a reward or even speak at all but it sure doesn't help his case - or bolster his alleged "innocence" - one tiny bit. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas