SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is fascinating and interesting and then I remember the innocent people that have lost their lives in the machinations of the Murdaugh family business. I'm a lawyer who has handled defense work on personal injury cases and so much of what happened with Ms. Satterfield's death does not not make sense. Initially, I thought she had fallen inside the house but after further reading it appears she was on steps outside the front of the house. It was an unwitnessed fall but AM admitted liability? All the money missing indicates there was a great deal more than an unaddressed addiction issue. I question how much he was actually practicing law; impaired attorneys are not hard to spot. His partners would clearly have been aware of his issues. Now it's been acknowledged AM has always been a POI in the shooting deaths of the wife and son. There are going to be more than a few disbarred lawyers when this is over.

Welcome to WS, it's great to have you, CandiceC!

I find it very curious that both MM and PM spoke to the 911 operator, if neither saw GS fall, and MM called 911, why would the operator want to speak to PM? Surely he couldn't add any details if he hadn't seen anything...?

This case is fascinating and interesting and then I remember the innocent people that have lost their lives in the machinations of the Murdaugh family business. I'm a lawyer who has handled defense work on personal injury cases and so much of what happened with Ms. Satterfield's death does not not make sense. Initially, I thought she had fallen inside the house but after further reading it appears she was on steps outside the front of the house. It was an unwitnessed fall but AM admitted liability? All the money missing indicates there was a great deal more than an unaddressed addiction issue. I question how much he was actually practicing law; impaired attorneys are not hard to spot. His partners would clearly have been aware of his issues. Now it's been acknowledged AM has always been a POI in the shooting deaths of the wife and son. There are going to be more than a few disbarred lawyers when this is over.
I completely agree with your post and look forward to seeing 'heads roll'. It's been a long time coming IMO

Murdaugh allegedly admitted to South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) that he hired a hit man to shoot him along a rural Hampton County road on Sept. 4, so that his surviving son, 26-year-old Buster Murdaugh, could collect a $10 million life insurance policy. But attorney Jim Griffin explained he did not need to, since the suicide exemption was no longer effective.

Alex Murdaugh's lawyer details day of roadside shooting in alleged botched suicide scheme

"The irony of ironies in this, he had a significant life insurance policy," Griffin added. "He had a suicide exclusion, but that suicide exclusion was no longer valid because under South Carolina law, they’re only effective for two years. That policy was taken out more than two years ago. Alex was unaware of that. Had he known that, he did not need to involve anyone else."

Eta

We’re frustrated that we haven’t got those records," Griffin said. "We had a HIPA request signed by Alex when he was in Atlanta going through detox authorizing the hospital to give those records to my firm. We had sent that in.

He didn’t know.

Really?

Atlanta?
Regarding the "ironies" point, doesnt he still have the same policy and now that he knows, can't he still kill himself so BM gets the $10 million?

Maggie Murdaugh was spending time in the family's Edisto home that spring, Griffin said, but only because she was working on renovations there. Griffin said the pair would text each other affectionate messages each night before going to bed.

Alex Murdaugh lawyer shares more details on unsolved murders, staged shooting in interview

Murdaugh was visiting with his mother, who has dementia, and watching a game show with her and a caregiver, Griffin said.

Griffin disclosed that Murdaugh had sought medical treatment for his addiction in the past, spending a week in detox while telling his friends and coworkers he was on vacation. But Murdaugh had never stuck with the program and stayed for rehab, his attorney said.

Griffin said, Murdaugh tried to meet with close friends that day to come clean. One of those friends refused to see him. At some point that day, Murdaugh "lost his will to live," Griffin said.

“They clearly document massive head bleeding," Griffin said of the records, which Alcorn also reviewed. "There is blood through the bandage. There is blood around the neck brace. There is blood on the stomach. And they open up the headwrap to try to evaluate the extent of the trauma and they can’t see it because there is so much blood matted in his hair.”

Griffin said he is still working to obtain Murdaugh's records from the Savannah hospital. He pledged to release those documents, along with the airlift records, once he gets them and obtains permission from Murdaugh.

'He tried to meet with close friends that day to come clean' --about the embezzlement? Drugs? Other?

'At some point that day he lost the will to live' -- so his assisted suicide plot with CES was only hatched that day? AM just called CES up that morning, asked if he would shoot him, and without any contemplation, CES drove right over.

'blood through the bandage, blood on neck brace, blood on the stomach' -- and yet according to an accidental clerical error, the responding officer marked 'no visible injury'? All that blood and released from hospital within a couple days?

Alex Murdaugh's lawyer details day of roadside shooting in alleged botched suicide scheme

"The irony of ironies in this, he had a significant life insurance policy," Griffin added. "He had a suicide exclusion, but that suicide exclusion was no longer valid because under South Carolina law, they’re only effective for two years. That policy was taken out more than two years ago. Alex was unaware of that. Had he known that, he did not need to involve anyone else."

BBM
Sez who? I don't believe a personal injury lawyer of AM's experience wouldn't know what his insurance policy was, every little detail.

His lawyer saying that he didn't know and his...oh so see he didn't have to hire a hitman, he could have killed himself-speil...only makes me know all the more that cousin Eddie is lucky to be alive. I think AM had a much different plan in mind than killing himself so BM could get rich. Nope, not buying it. AJMO

BBM
Sez who? I don't believe a personal injury lawyer of AM's experience wouldn't know what his insurance policy was, every little detail.

His lawyer saying that he didn't know and his...oh so see he didn't have to hire a hitman, he could have killed himself-speil...only makes me know all the more that cousin Eddie is lucky to be alive. I think AM had a much different plan in mind than killing himself so BM could get rich. Nope, not buying it. AJMO

I'm with you on that. Cousin Eddie literally dodged a bullet.

What a perfect thing that would have been if AM had been shot at by his drug dealer cousin, and had to kill him in self defense. Then it would be revealed that his black sheep cousin had killed AM's wife and son, and would have killed Buster too, if AM hadn't heroically shot him.

In fact, cousin Eddie had been black mailing AM, and forced him to steal money from the law firm, to prevent evil cousin Eddie from following through on the threats to the Murdaugh family.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Attorneys Target Bank For Botched $4.3 Million Settlement

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Attorneys Target Bank For Botched $4.3 Million Settlement

As a personal representative of an estate, Westendorf was in charge of managing the money of the estate and distributing the checks from the settlement. He was also obligated to fulfill his duties as an officer of the court.

When Judge Carmen Mullen approved the $4.3 million settlement in 2019, Westendorf was obligated under court order to distribute $2.8 million to Satterfield’s sons.

“He was supposed to be the backstop if Cory or Alex were doing anything inappropriate, he was supposed to say ‘whoa, whoa whoa… I’m the one distributing the checks and I need to get (Gloria’s sons) their $2.8 million and I have to pay $50,000 to probate court,'” Bland said.

Bland has found multiple other Hampton County cases where Laffitte acted as the personal representative — and some of those cases involve the Murdaugh law firm and at least one involves Fleming.

“It is a rarity for a bank employee to be a personal representative,” Bland said. “That is something that is by statute reserved for family members.”

Bland said his motion sends a clear message to Palmetto State Bank to let them know they’re on the hook.

“We’re letting the bank know they’re our real object of affection,” Bland said. “And it tells them ‘you guys have done this before so don’t act like this is something new.”

Alex Murdaugh’s brother will no longer represent Paul Murdaugh’s estate. Why?

Five weeks after being appointed to handle the estate of Paul Murdaugh, who was found murdered in June, Randolph Murdaugh IV, Paul’s uncle, has resigned, citing a conflict of interest, probate records show.

“Due to recent discovery of events, I now have a conflict of interest and can no longer serve as personal representative for the estate of Paul Terry Murdaugh,” Murdaugh IV wrote in an Oct. 7 letter to Colleton County Probate Judge Ashley H. Amundson.

Randolph Murdaugh IV’s abrupt resignation does not indicate what recent discovery created a conflict of interest, whether it was related to the criminal investigations involving the Murdaugh family, whether it’s because Murdaugh IV’s law firm is suing Paul’s father, Alex or if it’s for another reason.

Paul Murdaugh’s probate records also show that on Sept. 16, Sept. 23 and Sept. 30, Murdaugh IV had notices filed in a Colleton County newspaper that Paul’s estate was open for creditors’ claims. The records indicate that no claims have been filed as of Wednesday.

Makes me think that MM put moselle in PM’s name.

The Today Show did an interview with ES. You'll have to click the link to see 2 videos.

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1448615167131111427

Curtis Eddie Smith, the man charged with shooting prominent South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh as part of what law enforcement says was a failed suicide-for-hire plot, claims he’s being set up.
@craigmelvin
spoke with Smith and his lawyer.

“I think he is being set up by a person who is a drug addict.” Jonny McCoy, lawyer for Curtis Eddie Smith, the man charged with shooting South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh, speaks exclusively with
@craigmelvin
in a live interview.

*"Did it hit him? Did the bullet hit him? ES says "no" and shakes his head "no." No blood on me, no blood on him.

*ES's lawyer: "What percentage are you sure the he didn't get shot?"

ES: 1000.

Part 1:

Last edited:
Daily Beast:

Alex Murdaugh’s Lawyer Finally Admits He’s a Person of Interest in Family Murders

"After months of speculation, Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers have finally admitted the South Carolina attorney—who’s already accused of orchestrating his own murder—is a person of interest in his wife and son’s double homicide."

<snip>

"Griffin, however, admitted that state authorities “are not sharing information but I believe if they had that [information] they would have charged Alex and they have not charged him.” SLED did not respond to The Daily Beast’s request for comment about Murdaugh being a person of interest."

Murdaugh Murders: Alex Murdaugh Arrested In Florida On Charges Related To Satterfield Case

Alex Murdaugh was arrested in Orlando, Florida Thursday on charges related to the Gloria Satterfield case, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED).

Murdaugh was charged with two felony counts of obtaining property by false pretenses.

“These charges stem from a SLED investigation into misappropriated settlement funds in the death of Gloria Satterfield,” SLED officials said in a statement.

Agents arrested Murdaugh after he was released from a rehab facility in Orlando for his alleged drug addiction. He was taken to Orange County Corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx