SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Murdaugh is denied bond on $3M theft charges | Daily Mail Online

South Carolina Assistant Attorney General Creighton Waters said within months, Murdaugh took the money and put it in his personal accounts.

'He had been carrying $100,000 credit card balance for months,' Waters said. 'That gets paid off. He writes 300 and some odd grand to his father. He writes a check for 610 grand to himself. He writes a check for 125 grand to himself. Not a dime goes to this family.'

Waters asked for a $200,000 bond and GPS monitoring, saying the fact that Murdaugh tried to arrange his own death shows he could become violent and has the ability to run away if he wants. 'A man who is a danger to himself is a danger to others,' Waters said.

Referring to the property theft charges against Murdaugh, Waters said cryptically: 'this is the tip of the iceberg. There is far more we will reveal soon.'
The photo of the Satterfields is in this Daily Mail article. Thank you !
(from the Daily Mail article posted above)

"Murdaugh's other lawyer, Jim Griffin, added, 'The Alex Murdaugh who is not hooked on drugs has lived a good, fruitful life - a law-abiding life. Only when he got hooked on opioids did things turn south and he truly regrets his conduct.'

Great, so 'only' for the last 20 years have 'things gone south'. That's nearly 40% of his life that he's been 'hooked' and NOT living a 'good, fruitful, law abiding life'.
so maybe Maggie got 5 good years.

This is it.
Thank you to Gardenista for finding the article for me, much appreciated. It's behind a paywall.

It just shows some of the other behaviors of AM while in hospital.

"Documents show Murdaugh grew increasingly impatient during his hospital stay, even as his brothers and son visited his bedside.

He complained of head pain, rubbed his scalp and said the three painkillers the hospital treated him with “aren’t helping at all anymore.” A nurse described him as “irritable” the morning after the shooting.

Murdaugh requested permission to roam the facility and once was found out of bed without permission. He tried to bribe an employee with $20 to gain access to a phone. He regularly asked when he could go home."

Hospital records detail Alex Murdaugh's wounds from alleged staged shooting

Sounds like almost every detox patient since the dawn of time. While I don't condone what he's done, I do feel sorry for him, his family and empathize. My sibling goes into a behavioral health unit a lot and lists off all the medication she should be on to the nurse and caseworkers before even being seen. (and usually gets it) I've been dealing with them for years.

Sounds like almost every detox patient since the dawn of time. While I don't condone what he's done, I do feel sorry for him, his family and empathize. My sibling goes into a behavioral health unit a lot and lists off all the medication she should be on to the nurse and caseworkers before even being seen. (and usually gets it) I've been dealing with them for years.
That article mentions his two brothers and his son visiting him. So who do you think AM wanted a phone so badly to call, trying to bribe a hospital employee? It sure wasn't Cousin Eddie his so-called dealer as Eddie had supposedly just tried to shoot AM...or was that who he wanted to call...for a fix?

I saw a photo today, that I can’t relocate, but it identifies Satterfield family sitting in middle row. Not far from where AM was sitting. I did see two younger men in the first row separating AM and gallery but the article said they (Satterfield) were in the next row back.
In this article's pictures (there's two) there's a younger looking man sitting next to the woman in pink and another younger man right behind him. Are these her sons?

Alex Murdaugh denied bond, 'psychiatric evaluation' ordered for disgraced SC legal scion

Last edited:
That article mentions his two brothers and his son visiting him. So who do you think AM wanted a phone so badly to call, trying to bribe a hospital employee? It sure wasn't Cousin Eddie his so-called dealer as Eddie had supposedly just tried to shoot AM...or was that who he wanted to call...for a fix?

It doesn't state when he tried to access a phone and who was present or had been present. There are almost limitless possibilities. For me, wanting a phone isn't a big deal and beyond common. Go to almost any ward and you'll find someone screaming that they have to talk to somebody right now for whatever reason.

Bribing isn't uncommon either. Even when you literally have nothing to bribe with. They don't understand what they're even saying many times. Most places are set up pretty well to deal with detox and keep people comfortable. When patients aren't getting what they want is when episodes typically arise in my experience

This is it.
Thank you to Gardenista for finding the article for me, much appreciated. It's behind a paywall.

It just shows some of the other behaviors of AM while in hospital.

"Documents show Murdaugh grew increasingly impatient during his hospital stay, even as his brothers and son visited his bedside.

He complained of head pain, rubbed his scalp and said the three painkillers the hospital treated him with “aren’t helping at all anymore.” A nurse described him as “irritable” the morning after the shooting.

Murdaugh requested permission to roam the facility and once was found out of bed without permission. He tried to bribe an employee with $20 to gain access to a phone. He regularly asked when he could go home."

Hospital records detail Alex Murdaugh's wounds from alleged staged shooting

Most of that makes sense. The only pieces that stand out - 1) trying to bribe an employee to make a phone call.. I'm sure family would loan him a cell, or an employee would help him find and use a phone. Why the need to bribe? And why must everything be financial with him?
2) Regularly asked when he could go home.. I get it, hospitals stink.. But doesn't sound like he had been planning on going to detox/rehab. Wondering if maybe that was set up for him.

Most of that makes sense. The only pieces that stand out - 1) trying to bribe an employee to make a phone call.. I'm sure family would loan him a cell, or an employee would help him find and use a phone. Why the need to bribe? And why must everything be financial with him?
2) Regularly asked when he could go home.. I get it, hospitals stink.. But doesn't sound like he had been planning on going to detox/rehab. Wondering if maybe that was set up for him.
That's what I thought too, why not just ask his son to borrow his phone or get him a cheapie phone to use. And I agree, doesn't sound like he was planning on going to detox, then rehab. I'm sure his lawyers finally convinced him. I feel no pity for him, I'm sorry I just don't. Born with privilege and limitless options for good in his life and threw it all away. I don't care to hear he had knee surgery and got hooked on pain meds. My Mom went through much, much more than that, a little bit of a woman, and found her way through it on a shoestring. AJMO

please pardon if this has been answered a million times..... when the double murder news first broke, weren't there reports that alex had been out shooting? if so, how was that "misinformation" explained in the press?

I remember reading that. I had never heard of the Murdaugh family before the double murder. I told my friends that AM said he was shooting to explain GSR on his hands. Iirc, AM allegedly was shooting ( I don't know why) before he left to go the hospital and his mother's. In fact, I do not recall reading that he had visited his mother until months later. He was out shooting and then visiting his dad and that was his story.
I would love to know how being denied bail made him feel today. :)

I’m sure there might have been some hidden corners to miss them but no one in family jumped out at me in Daily Mail article photos.
With LE cooperation it would have been quite easy for his family to be in court without Daily Mail getting a picture. Ar the Watts sentencing, SW’s family was picked up at their hotel and driven to the courthouse by an LE/DA employee. They drove into a private lot located under the building. While waiting for the hearing to begin they stayed on the administrative back office side of the building, only entering the courtroom (through an “employees only” side door) after everyone had been seated and cameras and phones put away. The hearing was televised and they did have a shared video camera taping the trial, and the Rzucek’s could easily be seen. However I have little doubt had they expressed the desire to avoid the courtroom camera, that would have been arranged.

As the Rzucek’s daughter and granddaughters were killed by the guy on trial, SW’s family members were clearly victims. It’s not hard to understand why time and time again LE and Rourke went way out of their way to do anything they could to minimize the Rzucek’s pain.

What was harder for me to wrap my mind around is that poor Mama and Papa Watts were victims too. Because their grandchildren had been killed. And as far as I know both families received the same victim advocate services.

If the Murdough Family’s “victim” status isn’t enough motive to keep cameras at bay, I suspect more than a few local LE, attorneys, Judges and politicians genuinely fear what the press might uncover. Plus, many know the Murdaughs personally and probably even like them. Lots of reasons why even if AM’s charged with murder(s) I fully expect we’ll see family members treated with kid gloves through the final verdict . Uncharged family members that is. I get the feeling this DA wants to pulvarize anyone in the M circle who’s embezzled, even just a little.

Once the case ended in a pair of financial settlements worth $4.3 million, Murdaugh intervened and had Fleming direct the Satterfields’ money to a fraudulent bank account Murdaugh had created in 2015, Waters said.

Within a few months after Satterfields’ money was deposited into the dummy account, Murdaugh transferred it to his personal bank account, pocketing about $3.4 million of the overall settlement, Waters said.

Among a flurry of transactions that followed, Murdaugh wrote checks for $610,000 and $125,000 to himself, and cut his father a check for more than $300,000, Waters said.

“He had been carrying a $100,000 credit card balance for months. That gets paid off,” Waters said.

Alex Murdaugh denied bond after arrest in alleged settlement scam

At one point in the Oct. 19 hearing, Newman called up a SLED agent to testify about the status of other investigations involving Murdaugh and his family.

The agent was hesitant to speak but ultimately acknowledged that SLED is probing other allegations of financial crimes against Murdaugh. The agency is also investigating the manner of Satterfield’s death, the agent said.

He, DH, is the worst. Beyond smarmy. Have you noticed that in last few interviews with the two lawyers they have dropped the visit to AM’s father’s bedside? They’re now saying his ironclad alibi is his visit to his mother’s house where they watched a game show and though mom has dementia her caregiver confirmed the visit.
I would speculate that the caregiver was most vulnerable to intimidation and manipulation in providing information to LE as to AM's time with his mother. She would have been fired and would never have worked again, they would have seen to that. After all, they have been doing it for years to everyone in higher positions than hers. MOO MOO MOO

Question, is AM wearing a wig?
Seriously.
All the edges look too uniform. Would the jail allow that?
Maybe he isn’t.
I know his hair seemed to be very thick, but something looks unnatural to me even though it look pretty good if a wig.
It’s just a question that goes to the image he has of of himself.
His public image.
Any thoughts?

That's what I thought too, why not just ask his son to borrow his phone or get him a cheapie phone to use. And I agree, doesn't sound like he was planning on going to detox, then rehab. I'm sure his lawyers finally convinced him. I feel no pity for him, I'm sorry I just don't. Born with privilege and limitless options for good in his life and threw it all away. I don't care to hear he had knee surgery and got hooked on pain meds. My Mom went through much, much more than that, a little bit of a woman, and found her way through it on a shoestring. AJMO

Generations of privilege and power. Trained and groomed from birth. When one sibling is not as into the power thing... they are often made to look eccentric or recluse-y....

I hope ,eventually.... we will hear from lesser know family members.

Watching Succession again.... as season 3 comes out. .... trained and groomed from birth...

In this article's pictures (there's two) there's a younger looking man sitting next to the woman in pink and another younger man right behind him. Are these her sons?

Alex Murdaugh denied bond, 'psychiatric evaluation' ordered for disgraced SC legal scion
Last night on Banfield’s show, her guest was Eric Bland. A photo of Bland was shown and at that time sitting to the right of Bland was Gloria’s son Brian Marriott (sp.) wearing a green and white plaid shirt, he has Sandy blond or Sandy red short cropped hair. Standing nearby was Gloria’s sister, Ginger wearing a pink blouse and she has blond hair.

If you look at the Daily Mail photo from yesterday’s hearing (Tues) you can clearly see Gloria in the first row behind the lawyers wearing the pink shirt and if look hard you can see Brian squeezed in or leaning forward from 2nd row next to a man wearing a blue plaid shirt.

Oops -link to wrong article. The photo I’m describing is from the Daily Mail, 10/19.
Wish I knew how to copy photos.

Last edited:
Last night on Banfield’s show, her guest was Eric Bland. A photo of Bland was shown and at that time sitting to the right of Bland was Gloria’s son Brian Marriott (sp.) wearing a green and white plaid shirt, he has Sandy blond or Sandy red short cropped hair. Standing nearby was Gloria’s sister, Ginger wearing a pink blouse and she has blond hair.

If you look at the Daily Mail photo from yesterday’s hearing (Tues) you can clearly see Gloria in the first row behind the lawyers wearing the pink shirt and if look hard you can see Brian squeezed in or leaning forward from 2nd row next to a man wearing a blue plaid shirt.

Oops -link to wrong article. The photo I’m describing is from the Daily Mail, 10/19.
Wish I knew how to copy photos.
Yes that's the pic I saw and who I thought was GS's son <3 I wondered if that was her other son sitting right behind them, short dark hair his face is obscured.

Attachments

• murdaugh3.jpg
    murdaugh3.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 66
I remember reading that. I had never heard of the Murdaugh family before the double murder. I told my friends that AM said he was shooting to explain GSR on his hands. [BBM] Iirc, AM allegedly was shooting ( I don't know why) before he left to go the hospital and his mother's. In fact, I do not recall reading that he had visited his mother until months later. He was out shooting and then visiting his dad and that was his story.
I would love to know how being denied bail made him feel today. :)

Did AM have gun shot residue on his hands? I don’t recall reading that before. Source?

Question, is AM wearing a wig?
Seriously.
All the edges look too uniform. Would the jail allow that?
Maybe he isn’t.
I know his hair seemed to be very thick, but something looks unnatural to me even though it look pretty good if a wig.
It’s just a question that goes to the image he has of of himself.
His public image.
Any thoughts?
Funny you brought this up. I wondered that myself. The color is also off from what we have seen in non-mug photos.

Maybe he did get shot and he’s covering where they shaved a lot of his hair? I’ve been in camp with a slight abrasion not anything close to Jim-boy’s description. But maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuth-nado