SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting to hear about some sort of "Ponzi" scheme regarding AM's "Forge" account. He could have been advising clients to accept a smaller "lump sum" payment, made possible by "investors," then promise those investors a greater return on their money from the settlement, in the form of an annuity or other financial instruments.

The "Ponzi" part of it comes in if AM invented the "clients" and pocketed the "lump sum" payments himself. These schemes always have a shelf life, and the perpetrator always ends up scrambling to "rob Peter to pay Paul"

IMO

Just doesn’t make sense borrowing thousands of dollars from multiple people, yet BM recently received also a million that was owed for 8 years. Like did he forget?

I have to wonder if RM & JP filing to get their monies back was only after Bland suggested that AM’s banking needed to be looked at. They surely don’t want ppl thinking they were funding or buying drugs or something.

Jmo

Last edited:
You may have heard about the current grand jury investigation, which is investigating checks written by Alex Murdaugh to a drug courier for the Cowboys, a local Walterboro gang that deals in opioids and meth.

FITS news reports “sources familiar with the investigation have indicated an attorney representing one of the individuals at the heart of this grand jury inquiry recently approached the office of acting U.S. attorney Rhett DeHart in the hopes of securing a “proffer” for his client.”

Sound familiar? That’s the same play Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers made …

So who is it that Alex paid over $200,000 to after the murders of Maggie & Paul? Well, who also lives in Walterboro? Who has faced prior methamphetamine charges? It seems the pieces may be coming together…

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Which Drug ‘Pipeline’ Is Being Targeted?

I work for a brokerage firm, it would not be our firm sued it would be ME or whomever licensed I work under. My firm may get hit with a fine but that’s probably the difference in our industry’s. Is it on the bank or the banker? You could probably answer this better I can look into it too.

ETA when I say me being sued I mean the company who I’m surety bonded under.

Unless things have changed in the past few years, the bank would make a claim on the employees bond. And the bank's insurance company would pay the rest of what is due the injured party.

I'm still scratching my head on why they haven't been sued yet. Too soon probably. That is going to be one heck of a can of worms.

Retired banker here. Any thoughts as to why we haven't seen B of A listed in any suits? They allowed those checks to be deposited. I'm thinking A quiet settlement from the responsible employee's bond and B of A's insurance is in the works.
I think that you have hit it spot-on. MOO.

I'm expecting to hear about some sort of "Ponzi" scheme regarding AM's "Forge" account. He could have been advising clients to accept a smaller "lump sum" payment, made possible by "investors," then promise those investors a greater return on their money from the settlement, in the form of an annuity or other financial instruments.

The "Ponzi" part of it comes in if AM invented the "clients" and pocketed the "lump sum" payments himself. These schemes always have a shelf life, and the perpetrator always ends up scrambling to "rob Peter to pay Paul"

IMO

Ponzi is a possibility with this story. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out there is a spy in the mix.

You may have heard about the current grand jury investigation, which is investigating checks written by Alex Murdaugh to a drug courier for the Cowboys, a local Walterboro gang that deals in opioids and meth.

FITS news reports “sources familiar with the investigation have indicated an attorney representing one of the individuals at the heart of this grand jury inquiry recently approached the office of acting U.S. attorney Rhett DeHart in the hopes of securing a “proffer” for his client.”

Sound familiar? That’s the same play Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers made …

So who is it that Alex paid over $200,000 to after the murders of Maggie & Paul? Well, who also lives in Walterboro? Who has faced prior methamphetamine charges? It seems the pieces may be coming together…

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Which Drug ‘Pipeline’ Is Being Targeted?

BBM

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254597917.html

... Smith has had no prior charges related to drug use. However, on Sept. 14, Smith was charged in Colleton County with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana. Warrants said the drugs were found when police executed a search warrant on his home in Walterboro. ...

Problem with pointing the finger at CES is - before AM's roadside drama and his 9/14 "drug" (and other) charges - CES has nothing on his prior civil / criminal records except very old traffic tickets.

All those traffic tickets all those years but CES was somehow never busted for drugs! But based on AM's word* alone that CES was his "drug dealer" for 10 years, LE suddenly, conveniently finds meth and marijuana in CES's house! Of course, we know LE never, ever plants drugs, right? I feel more strongly now than ever that AM / DH / JG / LE are 100% railroading CES.

* AM - the same guy who lied and made a false police report!

JMO

Last edited:
Apologies in advance if folks have already well trod this ground:

While possible in theory, I seriously doubt CES was the trigger man or the bag man with ref to the hits on MM &/or PM.

Although CES might have had the advantage of blending in if he’d done odd jobs (sounds like mostly handyman type work) for locals in the past, CES seems much smarter than AM and imo would never have agreed to any of that.

After all, CES by his own admission and by what’s suggested by the evidence of the “assisted suicide,” refused to kill somebody who allegedly requested to be killed by AM. Why would someone who refused to shoot someone who asked to be killed (& some might hypothesize suicide a person who really was “asking for it” or “had it coming to him” in more ways than one, given how many innocents he’d swindled etc) — why would CES refuse/reject that invitation, yet agree to the MM hit (on a local mom, a distant cousin-in-law, using an assault rifle, and whom he reportedly shot multiple times in the back) an addition to the possible collateral murder of her son at close range with a shotgun? CES had no dog in the boat accident so far as we know; no history of violence as others had pointed out; and seems to have some mobility impairments and a very identifiable gait presumably from a prior workplace injury.
My guess is that CES had for sure an ironclad alibi for the night of the double homicide or likely he would already have been charged with it and not made bond not voluntarily spoken to law enforcement without his lawyer (even if a public defender) present, and he sure wouldn’t have agreed to the warrant less search of his home and property. CES reportedly agreed to this because he had “nothing to hide,” and despite a presumably thorough search of the property that was not limited by CES or scope of warrantless search narrowed by CES, all that turned up as I recall was some small amount of meth and MJ, not the kind of amounts that suggested dealer or any evidence of him being a killer — contract or otherwise.

Meanwhile, the search of Moselle turned up information that led SLED to reopen the Stephen Smith death investigation and may have uncovered evidence of other kinds.

Just saying.

IMO/MOO

I looked up to see how much it is to get 10 million dollar life insurance policy, it appears that you have to jump through hoops and it seems with his situation at that time he would have been denied.

Jmo It was a made up story.

A person being sued in wrongful death, insurance company is suing him, his wife and son, murdered. He’s in the rears for taxes not paid.

And he was able to secure 10 million dollar life insurance policy?

Jmo

BBM

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254597917.html

... Smith has had no prior charges related to drug use. However, on Sept. 14, Smith was charged in Colleton County with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana. Warrants said the drugs were found when police executed a search warrant on his home in Walterboro. ...

Problem with pointing the finger at CES is - before AM's roadside drama and his 9/14 "drug" (and other) charges - CES has nothing on his prior civil / criminal records except very old traffic tickets.

All those traffic tickets all those years but CES was somehow never busted for drugs! But based on AM's word* alone that CES was his "drug dealer" for 10 years, LE suddenly, conveniently finds meth and marijuana in CES's house! Of course, we know LE never, ever plants drugs, right? I feel more strongly now than ever that AM / DH / JG / LE are 100% railroading CES.

* AM - the same guy who lied and made a false police report!

JMO

I haven’t seen the reports on his drug bust but wonder if he actually sold drugs regularly, as a “dealer” or if he just had an amount that gets into “distribution intent”. Or just sell some thinking it a once in a while helping a friend thing?

I haven’t seen the reports on his drug bust but wonder if he actually sold drugs regularly, as a “dealer” or if he just had an amount that gets into “distribution intent”. Or just sell some thinking it a once in a while helping a friend thing?

Or he was getting it for himself, like lots of ppl.

Buy it for yourself, (small amount) and your chances of arrest are minimal jmo.
Buy it to sell(large amount) now you are dealing and chances of getting caught are higher, buyers either have too much company for short time periods or they are meeting the buyer to sell.
Both draw attention, at least for me.
When you get caught selling LE wants to go up the chain of where it came from.

But not here, it seems they may have found someone close to the top.

Jmo

Randolph, or Randy, said in the lawsuit that he took Alex to a rehab facility where he agreed to pay $15,000 for initial treatment and claimed he had not yet been reimbursed.

Lawsuit claims Alex Murdaugh owes thousands in unpaid loans to his brother, Randy Murdaugh | WCBD News 2

Two days later, he announced that he had resigned from his law firm and was entering rehab.

Alex Murdaugh’s rep denies shooting was self-inflicted

Maybe the 2 day rehab at hospital after shooting was paid, then RM taking to Fl for rehab was $15,000.

Jmo

News flash: according to Mandy Matney’s twitter:
“Judge Hall ordered an asset-freezing injunction and appointed receivers to manage and recover Alex Murdaugh's funds.”

I looked up to see how much it is to get 10 million dollar life insurance policy, it appears that you have to jump through hoops and it seems with his situation at that time he would have been denied.

Jmo It was a made up story.

A person being sued in wrongful death, insurance company is suing him, his wife and son, murdered. He’s in the rears for taxes not paid.

And he was able to secure 10 million dollar life insurance policy?

Jmo

It’s not uncommon for companies to provide life insurance policies at discounted price or, in some cases, wholly subsidized, especially to Apex employees. The firm may have had policies on all the partners and the partners may have had a firm funded base term life policy on themselves and their spouse (much cheaper than whole life). May companies will allow the employee to use pretax earnings to cover the cost delta between the firm provided coverage and max coverage offered by the carrier for themselves as well as for the spouse. For example, I know of someone whose employer automatically provides the employee term life coverage of 4 times the employee’s annual salary free, with the employee having the option to purchase additional term life of up to 8 times iirc the annual salary. The max you could up it on your spouse likely varies by state for the same reason that “insurance interest” requirements have been required most places and “dead peasant” policies a/k/a “dead janitor” policies are also disfavored, despite that they remain common. Assuming only for the sake of this thought experiment that AM’s earnings from the firm at the time of the boat crash were $2M/year, he could have had term life on himself as five times his annual, or if it was $1M a year it might be ten times his annual in terms of coverage, with the employee funding a good chunk of the premiums for the term policy (if not all) and with any contributions AM coming pretax and never showing up in his take home for him to squander. Most insurers require basic physical and medical history if you’re seeking insurance amounts way over the standard term life policy, but if you’re fortunate enough to be relatively healthy at the time of the physical and medical history, in my experience it’s not hard at all to qualify for loads of term life. Likewise for whole life policies, but those are much more expensive.

Insurance shell games and shenanigans of different types are woven throughout the tapestry of at minimum AM and possibly a much larger group of his associates’ M.O.s

After the double homicide and after AM got busted for the alleged “assisted suicide” and fingered for the alleged “conversion” of PMPED funds, one of his defense lawyers (DH as I recall) insisted that Alex had no insurance on Maggie or Paul. That seems at this point to be extremely likely to be misleading. Possibly the defense team would/will take the position that firm provided term life policies (even if AM chipped in pretax some each paycheck or distribution to secure increased coverage limits), on MM and/or PM don’t = AM having insurance policies on them or MM or PM having insurance policies on themselves.

It’s also possible that policies could have been taken out by any one or more of the many companies AM owned or co-owned and that the companies might have life insurance policies on one or more members of the family as well as P&O, A&O, premises liability, and/or umbrella policies. We’ve already seen how AM was able to utilize a blended model of insurance policies to monetize an innocent and dedicated loyal longtime worker for the family. It is very difficult to believe he would not have standard coverage/s in place even if just burial policies provided by the firm or covered by his own family estate planning. You can cash in a whole life policy but the only way I know of to cash out a term life policy is upon the death or other covered hazard to the insured/s.

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, but did anyone else suspect that AM’s perp description provided to 911 of much younger than Alex and really short hair may have been an attempt by AM to evoke or imply CC?

The saga also has an odd history of accident locations changing. There were initial reports and possibly factual but possibly goal post shifting accounts of the accident location for GS alleged trip and fall. If one premises was insured for considerably more money than the other property, this might be circumstantial evidences that could bear on motive for deliberately switching the version of the story to make sure it was reported as having occurred at the property with higher policy limits available for such a potential claim (thus Moselle) especially seeing as the suit against himself re GS’s death appeared in retrospect to have been initiated by AM and motivated as a mechanism to liquidate or divert the maximum amounts of insurance proceeds to AM.

I’d be interested to see if an inspector, adjustor, investigator, or rep for any of the insurance carriers ever conducted a site inspection or completed an independent report to see if location and narrative checked out re the alleged trip-and-fall. Because AM seems none too sharp, if such reports exist and we’re not written by himself personally or based off a fake police report he provided to the carriers or produced by one of his own shell companies, a copy of that claim investigation file *might* help shed more light, if not on what actually happened to GS at wherever it occurred, but at least be some documentation of all the many ways that version of events kept/keeps changing and whether, as seems likely, gaming of multiple angles was involved.

As AM reportedly stipulated to his liability/culpability for the accident in pleadings or (possibly unfiled; forged) documents in the GS case, the carrier/s might have had a tougher time defending/denying/settling the claim, but this would seem to be a violation of the terms of most premises liability policies and could/would have been a good basis for failure to indemnify even in the presence of agreement to defend. I suspect most carriers would attempt to subrogate with that high a dollar amount on this type of claim.

I don’t recall attending any major mediations or binding settlement talks involving high dollar policies unless a rep of the carrier was present if not in person than at least via phone. Approval of a policy limits payout would require carrier approval and the whole thing is super sketchy. The hospital bill would need to be settled in full and/or all liens negotiated down or paid either from the proceeds or from the responsible party’s contribution or the lawyer’s agreement to lower their fees or commission in order to make sure the bills/liens were covered/released before the settlement proceeds from the insurer/s would be paid out to the plaintiff/s/heirs/rep of the decedent.

Re the 911 caller (one of the Samaritans presumably) from the AM “assisted suicide” incident mentioning the trunk of the SUV was open, this might be consistent with AM being a dim bulb and thinking this is consistent with his narrative of the “changing the flat tire” story originally trotted out.

It’s also interesting the lady AM asked to take him to the hospital in her car who said she couldn’t because she had a baby in the car seat and AM was all bloody. AM then asked her is she could take him in his car — right after telling the 911 operator earlier that he couldn’t drive his car because it has a flat.

It’s Keystone Copy as it sounds like the Samaritan transfers to AM’s car (MM’s Mercedes) and on the 911 call you can hear him directing the Samaritan about how to start the car and get it in gear and they seem to start driving, but then AM suddenly remembers they can’t take his car (that they are then in and driving) because it’s got a flat tire.

Also telling: one of the first things AM tells the 911 operator on the first call is that he is located on the “Colleton County side” of OSR. How likely would it be for that level of precise detail to be known and volunteered by someone who had allegedly just loss consciousness, experienced blindness, and sustained head/brain trauma from an unprovoked gunshot to the head?

In the morphing defense narrative, what in some versions AM’s lawyer/s claimed AM was with Mom sitting at her bedside and her caregiver watching TV — that “ironclad alibi” — at some point became one of AM’s lawyers claiming that AM was visiting with his mom and that there were housekeepers at the house at the time of the visit.

As other/s have pointed out, major difference between caregiver like a home health aide or CNA/LPN in the room with AM and his mom and a housekeeper or housekeepers (maids) working at the house at the time. They may or may not have actually seen AM or his car. It was evening and even if “help” had been present, he could have pressured them to leave early because they’d worked hard enough and he just wanted to visit with his mom in private and would be taking care of her that night.

Because of all the different versions of this story we have heard from AM’s lawyers, and how many times it appears he lied to them too, it’s unclear but will be important for prosecutors to try to nail down, exactly who was where when and who saw what (v. just assumed or was told) about what when as concerns the alleged matriarch alibi for AM the night of the double homicide.

Also: do we know the Beach family got anything from all the secret anonymized payments/settlements? I’ve heard numbers that add up to ~$1.7M from various unnamed defendants, but as it sounded like the Beach family never got paid to date from any of the claims arising out of the boat crash, I’m wondering whether that was just another fraudulent shuffle on the part of AM that resulted in money being funneled back to him. The fact that the estate of AM’s dad was reportedly or presumably involved in those documents via reps when the accident occurred prior to the dad’s death “from cancer” “natural causes” but I haven’t heard any indication he was sued or served before his death, nor would his estate have legally yet existed prior to his death, but just his potential estate, just seems like more reason to suspect AM is likely involved in it and it’s quite possibly not authentic but in there somewhere may be a Forge nexus or an attempt to pierce the estate before it’s settled and to circumvent necessary and relevant parties (such as AM’s mom) in any financial assets or liabilities that might implicate or relate to her husband, AM’s dad, as presumably a lot of that property/assets and some liabilities of the estate would or may be hers and she would be entitled to her own attorney as well as ad litem to represent her interests in connection with actions against the estate as the surviving spouse.

Dependent on what kind of homestead and asset protection laws there are in S.C., I can guess that part of the fire sale efforts to date would have been attempts to asset protection, tax avoidance, and evidence destruction/manipulation.

IMO/MOO

‘A Clear Message’: Judge Rules To Freeze Alex Murdaugh’s Assets, Appoint Receivers

‘A Clear Message’: Judge Rules To Freeze Alex Murdaugh’s Assets, Appoint Receivers

Bland told FITSNews that he believes the judge’s ruling — following with Murdaugh’s bond hearing two weeks ago —shows that the tides are changing in the South Carolina justice system.

“This is a clear message that the justice system has had enough of Alex Murdaugh. Enough of the games. Enough of the lawyer machinations that he wants to employ,” Bland said. “Our courts have said ‘we don’t want this to happen anymore. We don’t want him to decide who gets paid and who doesn’t get paid.'”

Bland said the receivers will be able to find out whether or not Griffin and Harpootlian were paid in fees from the Satterfield settlement.

“The receiver will unwind every single transaction that Alex has done since 2015 when he opened the account and he will go to the people who have money (from the settlement) and they will have to disgorge that money,” Bland said. “Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin should look long and hard on whether they want to start spending the attorney fees they are getting (from the Murdaughs).”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper