SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harpootlian and Griffin, who are now representing the disgraced attorney in multiple criminal cases and lawsuits, argued in a motion to dismiss the suit that Gloria Satterfield’s sons have been “fully compensated for their alleged losses,” therefore Alex Murdaugh — who was allegedly the ringleader in the scheme — should not have to pay any money back.

The audacity!!!

The move by the Murdaugh camp is particularly brazen because Alex Murdaugh confessed judgment in lawsuits recently filed by his former law partner John E. Parker and his brother Randy Murdaugh, FITSNews exclusively reported. This would essentially prioritize Alex’s debt to Randy ahead of a long line of alleged victims currently suing the man whose wife and son were murdered in June.

Alex Murdaugh’s Attorneys Ask Court to Dismiss Satterfield Lawsuit Because Others Paid for Stolen Money

Unbelievable

For shame

Harpootlian and Griffin, who are now representing the disgraced attorney in multiple criminal cases and lawsuits, argued in a motion to dismiss the suit that Gloria Satterfield’s sons have been “fully compensated for their alleged losses,” therefore Alex Murdaugh — who was allegedly the ringleader in the scheme — should not have to pay any money back.

The audacity!!!

The move by the Murdaugh camp is particularly brazen because Alex Murdaugh confessed judgment in lawsuits recently filed by his former law partner John E. Parker and his brother Randy Murdaugh, FITSNews exclusively reported. This would essentially prioritize Alex’s debt to Randy ahead of a long line of alleged victims currently suing the man whose wife and son were murdered in June.

Alex Murdaugh’s Attorneys Ask Court to Dismiss Satterfield Lawsuit Because Others Paid for Stolen Money

Unbelievable

For shame
I'm reminded of that Esurance commercial: "That's not how this works; that's not how any of this works."

Alex Murdaugh says he doesn’t owe money to Satterfield heirs, court filing shows

Suspended Hampton attorney Alex Murdaugh said he does not owe any money to the heirs of his deceased former housekeeper because they have already been more than compensated for the $4.3 million they say they lost, according to a response filed in Hampton County Wednesday.

In a three-page response to a Hampton County lawsuit filed by the sons of Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh argued that because Satterfield’s heirs have already received more than $6 million in settlements, Murdaugh doesn’t owe the heirs any money. Satterfield died in 2018 after a fall at Murdaugh’s house.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article255904931.html#storylink=cpy

(my apology if this is a duplicate of item already reported.

Last edited:

The audacity!!!

Unbelievable

For shame
The audacity of this man and his two attorneys. :mad::mad: The other defendants had the class to settle quickly and apologize. You don’t get rewarded for hanging back when you were the point man to begin with! OMO.

I also noticed in their complaint (posted up thread: Elly #177) against Murdaugh assets being frozen, they were worried about AM not having funds for his legal fees. :rolleyes:

Here’s an interesting article on ways to tell if a 911 caller is being truthful or not. In my opinion, AM’s call has interesting mixes of these articulations.
911 homicide calls and statement analysis: is the caller the killer? - Free Online Library

This is an interesting read, thanks.

I come away from the call with mixed feelings, mainly the complete disregard for safety by AM, dispatchers, and LE. I take some of the call thinking of AM as a lawyer with some LE type experience and knowing what death looks like. I’ve tried to listen to him carefully also for a slip, which I don’t find. Is he too “wordy”? Maybe at times. I’m mixed and on the fence for sure.

FITs thinks this bombshell grand jury has to do with AM and The Cowboys. If it’s anything to do with these killings, we should have seen action by now or real soon. I’m not counting on it.

Well in MOO AM can just use a public Defense lawyer just like everyone else has to that doesn’t have the money for a high priced lawyer. High time AM learned how people with little or no money live their lives and get off his high horse. Nuff said.MOO

The audacity!!!

Unbelievable

For shame

Bank robber: I don't have to return the money I stole because bank customers are all insured by the FDIC!

Killer: Yeah, I shot the guy! But no way I should be arrested and charged for attempted murder because a good Samaritan took the guy to a hospital and he lived!

Reimbursement and/or mitigation of losses by others does not excuse or absolve a criminal of his crime.

Man, oh man, this is desperate, last-ditch, bottom-of-the-barrel lawyering by Griffin and Harpootlian. Because how does one defend the indefensible?

The motion essentially claims that since other parties in the case have already compensated the Satterfield family in excess of the original lost funds, Murdaugh should not have to pay the family “because South Carolina law prohibits Plaintiffs from obtaining a double recovery from the same injury.”

https://www.counton2.com/the-murdau...ttorneys-move-to-dismiss-satterfield-lawsuit/

According to Bland, the argument that the Satterfields have been fully compensated is unsound as well. He noted that although they have received more than the original $4 million lost, they have incurred interest on the money stolen as well as attorney fees in the case. Whether they have been fully compensated is for the court to decide, not Murdaugh.

Bland said that the proceedings will continue, with possible depositions of other people and subpoenas being issued in the future.

He also said that he is looking forward to a hearing on the matter, noting that he doesn’t foresee a jury being sympathetic to the argument being made by Murdaugh’s lawyers.

Alex Murdaugh is facing at least six lawsuits — two for both the 2019 boat crash that killed Mallory Beach, two for millions of dollars misappropriated/ stolen funds dating back to 2015 and two for unpaid debt. Murdaugh has only confessed judgment in Randy Murdaugh’s case, according to online court records.

The “confession of judgment” was signed just hours after attorney Mark Tinsley, who is representing the Beach family, presented his arguments for a temporary injunction over Alex Murdaugh’s assets and to appoint two outside parties — attorney John T. Lay Jr. and former U.S. attorney Peter M. McCoy Jr. — to have control over Alex and Buster Murdaugh’s assets, which is known as a “receivership” in court.

Earlier this month, Judge Daniel Hall ordered an asset-freezing injunction and appointed the receivers to manage and recover funds that could pay alleged victims currently suing Murdaugh.

Now that attorney John T. Lay Jr. and former U.S. attorney Peter M. McCoy Jr. have control over Alex and Buster Murdaugh’s assets, they have the power to sue for the recovery of those assets as well.

Alex Murdaugh’s Attorneys Ask Court To Toss Satterfield Lawsuit Because Others Repaid Stolen Money

Bland was shellshocked by the motion and said chances were very slim of a judge approving it. He was puzzled why Harpootlian and Griffin — two previously respected defense attorneys — would stick their necks out for Alex Murdaugh.

“I just don’t get why Harpootlian and Jim Griffin… why they would spend the last part of their careers representing Alex Murdaugh,” Bland said. “It’s just another action that left you’re scratching your head and saying ‘is there a master strategy here? Or are you just winging it?'”

Harpootlian and Griffin were hired to defend Paul Murdaugh in the boat crash in either March or April 2019, which would be soon after Alex transferred a large amount of the settlement money to his own account, according to prosecutors.

……. FITs thinks this bombshell grand jury has to do with AM and The Cowboys. If it’s anything to do with these killings, we should have seen action by now or real soon. I’m not counting on it.

“The Cowboys” !!
The Dallas cowboys? A run of Bob Weir songs?? Plz, who are The Cowboys in this story?
Thanks!

SC grand jury to look at drug money trail from Alex Murdaugh to Lowcountry gang, sources say

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article255393791.html

A state grand jury is looking into a trail of money from Alex Murdaugh’s alleged opioid drug habit to a Lowcountry gang based in the Walterboro-area and believed to be called the “Cowboys,” according to sources familiar with the investigation.

The money trail linking Murdaugh is allegedly in checks he wrote to a person who, in turn, would write checks to couriers to buy drugs, the sources said. Money paid to the couriers is believed to have been used to buy the drugs from Cowboys gang affiliates, they said.

More than $200,000 worth of checks were written between early June, when Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, were shot to death at the family home, and in early September when Murdaugh allegedly staged a botched suicide attempt, sources said. The murders are still unsolved.

Prior to the June 7 deaths of his wife and son, Murdaugh had been writing checks of only about $10,000 to $20,000 a month or so to the go-between, the sources said.

“The checks make the money trail very easy to follow,” one source said.

This is an interesting read, thanks.

I come away from the call with mixed feelings, mainly the complete disregard for safety by AM, dispatchers, and LE. I take some of the call thinking of AM as a lawyer with some LE type experience and knowing what death looks like. I’ve tried to listen to him carefully also for a slip, which I don’t find. Is he too “wordy”? Maybe at times. I’m mixed and on the fence for sure.

FITs thinks this bombshell grand jury has to do with AM and The Cowboys. If it’s anything to do with these killings, we should have seen action by now or real soon. I’m not counting on it.

I have felt the mix as well. I have attributed it to the fact that, though he inteded to find MM, he did not intent to find PM.

This is large:
A man accused of helping suspended lawyer Alex Murdaugh set up a botched suicide attempt was given $155,970 from Murdaugh in 17 cashier’s checks from October 2020 through May 2021, according to copies of those checks and other bank documents.

The $155,970 in cashier’s checks went to Curtis “Eddie” Smith, of Walterboro, and were cashed at various banks around Hampton and Beaufort counties, according to notations on checks viewed by The State and Island Packet newspapers. All but one of the cashier’s checks were endorsed with the signature, “Curtis E. Smith.”

Smith, 61, is the man arrested in September on charges of helping Murdaugh stage a suicide so Murdaugh’s son, Buster, could collect $10 million on a life insurance company. The alleged plot failed, and Murdaugh — in addition to Smith — now faces criminal charges in that Sept. 4 incident.

The cashier’s checks are significant because they appear to show a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the botched suicide attempt. The checks alone do not explain why Murdaugh gave them to Smith nor what Smith did with the money.

The cashier’s checks represent only eight months’ worth of payments from one account. Murdaugh had more than one checking account, according to sources familiar with his financial situation.

A cashier’s check is a check bought from a bank by one person made out to another person in an amount to be redeemed to cash. It is different from a personal check in that the money in a cashier’s check is guaranteed by the bank.

previous interviews with the media, Smith’s lawyers denied he got any money from Murdaugh but acknowledged Smith was a longstanding friend and associate of Murdaugh’s.

In an Oct. 14 television interview with NBC’s Craig Melvin, Jonny McCoy, a Smith attorney, denied that Smith ever received any significant money from Murdaugh.

<snip>

A $9,085 Bank of America cashier’s check from Alex Murdaugh to Curtis Smith and endorsed by Smith’s signature, dated as Oct. 22, 2020. This check is one of 17 obtained by the State and Island Packet newspapers totaling to $155,970 between October 2020 to May 2021 and is the first indication of a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the alleged staged murder attempt. NOTE: The yellow arrows were added to the check by reporters and were not part of the original copies. JOHN MONK
“Nobody has questioned us or asked us about any checks from Mr. Murdaugh,” Bouchette said. “This is the first we’re hearing about it. Given the background of this case, I really find any check or other financial instrument or legal instrument that comes from Mr. Murdaugh to be highly suspect.”

A reporter emailed questions to Smith’s lawyers Wednesday morning asking why Smith received these checks and what he did with the money. On a call Wednesday evening, the lawyers said they had not yet spoken with Smith about the checks.

Bouchette said law enforcement has not questioned them about the referenced checks.

Dick Harpootlian, one of Murdaugh’s lawyers, declined comment Thursday on any cashier’s checks that Murdaugh may have given Smith.

FRAUDULENT “FORGE” ACCOUNT CHECKS
The last cashier’s check written by Murdaugh to Smith, for $22,109, was the largest of all 17 checks in the October 2020-May 2021 time period that The State and Island Packet viewed. That check was purchased on May 28, just 10 days before Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and their son Paul were found shot to death on the grounds of the Murdaugh family home.

The cashier’s checks were:

▪ Four checks totaling $35,686 in October 2020.

▪ One check of $9,049 in November 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $29,784 in December 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $39,236 in January of this year.

▪ Three checks totaling $20,106 in February of this year.

▪ One check of $22,109 in May of this year.

All but two of the checks were written in amounts of $8,000 and $9,000. Checks over $10,000 can attract scrutiny by bank officials and law enforcement.

It’s not known what the money was used for. In recent months, Murdaugh’s lawyers have said their client’s financial actions have been largely to support a serious opioid addiction Murdaugh has faced for 20 years.

<snip>

The $160,000-plus in cashier’s checks to Smith were all bought with checks written on Murdaugh’s Bank of America “Forge” account — an account that has been described in legal actions against Murdaugh as being a Bank of America checking account.

https://amp.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article255735281.html

NEW: Alex Murdaugh gave $155K in checks to Curtis Smith, the man accused of shooting him, from Oct. 2020 to May 2021, records show.
They indicate a financial relationship between the men months before the alleged shooting. Story with @jmonkatthestate:
https://twitter.com/jake4shore/status/1461401250889674760?s=21

Just came here to post this. Buckle up y’all!! That receivership was the nail in these guys’ coffins. It’s about to blow wide open.

“The last cashier’s check written by Murdaugh to Smith, for $22,109, was the largest of all 17 checks in the October 2020-May 2021 time period that The State and Island Packet viewed. That check was purchased on May 28, just 10 days before Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and their son Paul were found shot to death on the grounds of the Murdaugh family home.”

“All but two of the checks were written in amounts of $8,000 and $9,000. Checks over $10,000 can attract scrutiny by bank officials and law enforcement. It’s not known what the money was used for. “

Last edited:
This is large:
A man accused of helping suspended lawyer Alex Murdaugh set up a botched suicide attempt was given $155,970 from Murdaugh in 17 cashier’s checks from October 2020 through May 2021, according to copies of those checks and other bank documents.

The $155,970 in cashier’s checks went to Curtis “Eddie” Smith, of Walterboro, and were cashed at various banks around Hampton and Beaufort counties, according to notations on checks viewed by The State and Island Packet newspapers. All but one of the cashier’s checks were endorsed with the signature, “Curtis E. Smith.”

Smith, 61, is the man arrested in September on charges of helping Murdaugh stage a suicide so Murdaugh’s son, Buster, could collect $10 million on a life insurance company. The alleged plot failed, and Murdaugh — in addition to Smith — now faces criminal charges in that Sept. 4 incident.

The cashier’s checks are significant because they appear to show a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the botched suicide attempt. The checks alone do not explain why Murdaugh gave them to Smith nor what Smith did with the money.

The cashier’s checks represent only eight months’ worth of payments from one account. Murdaugh had more than one checking account, according to sources familiar with his financial situation.

A cashier’s check is a check bought from a bank by one person made out to another person in an amount to be redeemed to cash. It is different from a personal check in that the money in a cashier’s check is guaranteed by the bank.

previous interviews with the media, Smith’s lawyers denied he got any money from Murdaugh but acknowledged Smith was a longstanding friend and associate of Murdaugh’s.

In an Oct. 14 television interview with NBC’s Craig Melvin, Jonny McCoy, a Smith attorney, denied that Smith ever received any significant money from Murdaugh.

<snip>

A $9,085 Bank of America cashier’s check from Alex Murdaugh to Curtis Smith and endorsed by Smith’s signature, dated as Oct. 22, 2020. This check is one of 17 obtained by the State and Island Packet newspapers totaling to $155,970 between October 2020 to May 2021 and is the first indication of a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the alleged staged murder attempt. NOTE: The yellow arrows were added to the check by reporters and were not part of the original copies. JOHN MONK
“Nobody has questioned us or asked us about any checks from Mr. Murdaugh,” Bouchette said. “This is the first we’re hearing about it. Given the background of this case, I really find any check or other financial instrument or legal instrument that comes from Mr. Murdaugh to be highly suspect.”

A reporter emailed questions to Smith’s lawyers Wednesday morning asking why Smith received these checks and what he did with the money. On a call Wednesday evening, the lawyers said they had not yet spoken with Smith about the checks.

Bouchette said law enforcement has not questioned them about the referenced checks.

Dick Harpootlian, one of Murdaugh’s lawyers, declined comment Thursday on any cashier’s checks that Murdaugh may have given Smith.

FRAUDULENT “FORGE” ACCOUNT CHECKS
The last cashier’s check written by Murdaugh to Smith, for $22,109, was the largest of all 17 checks in the October 2020-May 2021 time period that The State and Island Packet viewed. That check was purchased on May 28, just 10 days before Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and their son Paul were found shot to death on the grounds of the Murdaugh family home.

The cashier’s checks were:

▪ Four checks totaling $35,686 in October 2020.

▪ One check of $9,049 in November 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $29,784 in December 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $39,236 in January of this year.

▪ Three checks totaling $20,106 in February of this year.

▪ One check of $22,109 in May of this year.

All but two of the checks were written in amounts of $8,000 and $9,000. Checks over $10,000 can attract scrutiny by bank officials and law enforcement.

It’s not known what the money was used for. In recent months, Murdaugh’s lawyers have said their client’s financial actions have been largely to support a serious opioid addiction Murdaugh has faced for 20 years.

<snip>

The $160,000-plus in cashier’s checks to Smith were all bought with checks written on Murdaugh’s Bank of America “Forge” account — an account that has been described in legal actions against Murdaugh as being a Bank of America checking account.

https://amp.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article255735281.html

Mic Drop…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members