SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere in John Marvin’s story about Maggie’s cell phone does he mention consulting the people actually investigating the murder…SLED. What JMM and the solicitor’s goons did was not OK. They don’t get a pat on the back for a job well done. Since when is a victim’s family allowed to independently investigate a murder and follow leads the day after a murder.
And to find it, pick it up, and open it?! What were they thinking they’d find? A last love text to Alex? A last text saying “Alex killed us”…oops need to get rid of that.
This is a Harpootlian spin. He knows murder charges are coming. He wants that phone ruled inadmissible.
In my opinion, Maggie’s phone spent time riding around in Alex’s pocket that night before he tossed it. And SLED knows it.
Yes, the same brother John Marvin who rushed to the scene of the 2019 boat crash and arranged to have brother AM's boat towed. WTAH? How is that in any way shape or form ok?

Their sense of entitlement in inserting themselves into ongoing legal matters is beyond comprehension. It wouldn't surprise me if the steering console was wiped clean btw.

The Feds need to come in and mop the floor with AM and all his cronies. I don't think SLED can handle the scope of this.

MOO

Ellie — could you give us the context for this text? I feel like I dropped into something mid-paragraph.

I can no longer access FitsNews so I appreciate your postings. Thanks so much.

This is what preceded that.

From the moment of his birth, he has been propped up and propelled by the history of his forefathers — all prosecutors.

They are his origin story.

But the political and legal ecosystem that provided cover for Alex Murdaugh for so long — that he needed to survive — came from somewhere too.

If a child taking candy is a gateway to lifelong thievery, is the path to corruption equally as sweet?

Where does it start? What is the acorn that grows into the not so mighty oak of a good ol’ boy?

Perhaps it begins with ill-advised favors — both rendered and returned.

Maybe it’s a routine lack of accountability or consequence for some over others.

Or is it the ingrained expectation that the good ol’ boys’ “reality” is only what they tell us it is?

Turns out, John Marvin Murdaugh’s interview presents a “teaching moment” for everyone, especially those of us who have been hoping to learn what the 14th Circuit Solicitor Office’s investigators — Alex’s colleagues — were doing at the scene of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh‘s murders last June.

Murdaugh Murders: Cop Who Got Loan From Alex Murdaugh Loads Up On Family, Law Firm Contributions

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/03/29...gh-loads-up-on-family-law-firm-contributions/

According to campaign finance documents on file at the S.C. State Ethics Commission (SCSEC), Alexander’s campaign received a maximum $1,000 contribution from Alex’s brother Randy Murdaugh on May 12, 2021 (just four weeks before the Moselle murders). A few weeks before that, on April 20, 2021, Alexander received a $500 contribution from John E. Parker. Regular readers will recognize Parker as the attorney whose name now singularly adorns what was once the Murdaugh family law firm – a.k.a. Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth and Detrick (PMPED).

Parker wasn’t the only former Murdaugh firm lawyer who gave money to Alexander. On the same day he contributed, PMPED lawyer Daniel Henderson also gave $500 to his campaign. A week before that, PMPED attorney Lee Cope gave Alexander’s campaign $1,000.

Want more? On March 29, 2021, PMPED lawyer Austin Crosby gave Alexander’s campaign a maximum $1,000 contribution. That same day, another PMPED attorney – William F. Barnes III – also contributed the maximum $1,000 to Alexander’s campaign.

$58 in Maggie Murdaugh’s Bank Account? What New Docs Tell Us About the Murdaughs’ Finances

According to the documents, Maggie Murdaugh had just $57.77 left in her Bank of America account — the only bank account solely in Maggie’s name listed — at the time of her death.

In Maggie and Alex’s joint Palmetto State Bank accounts, Maggie’s share only amounted to $4,154.14.

But nothing is ever as it seems when it comes to the Murdaughs …

Now, $4,154 is a lot of money to a lot of people, but not the Murdaughs. Especially considering that Alex Murdaugh is accused of stealing nearly $9 million from more than a dozen clients in the last decade.

One of those Palmetto State Bank accounts Maggie shared with Alex only had $16 in it.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/03/29...ew-docs-tell-us-about-the-murdaughs-finances/

So, did someone drain Maggie’s accounts around the time she died? Were the Murdaughs in deep financial trouble last June?

It is possible that these aren’t all of the accounts that Maggie Murdaugh had access to prior to her death.

John Marvin listed these accounts in the section “joint with right of survivorship” — specifically where he was asked to list “any non-probate property jointly owned” by Maggie Murdaugh.

According to documents, the total amount of money listed in Maggie Murdaugh’s account couldn’t pay her mortgages.

At the time of her death, Maggie Murdaugh had an estimated worth of $4,160,0000 total in real estate holdings between her ownership of the Moselle property and the Edisto home.

Maggie Murdaugh was the sole owner of Moselle after Alex sold it to her in 2016 for $5.

However, around $2,178,669.57 was owed in mortgages on both of the properties.

$847,287 owed on the $1,000,000 Moselle mortgage initiated in 2015
$1,122,852.84 owed on the second Moselle mortgage of $1,311,865 from 2013
$208,529.46 owed on the Edisto mortgage (the home was purchased by Maggie and Alex in 2002 for $415,000).
It appears that they weren’t paying their mortgages …

Continued

Did Maggie Murdaugh have a life insurance policy?
This has been one of the biggest questions surrounding Maggie Murdaugh’s murder since last June.

Unfortunately, the documents don’t provide a full answer.

In the probate filings, John Marvin wrote “none” when asked to list the insurance on the life of the decedent, which is payable to the estate.

He also wrote “none” under life insurance that would be payable to the beneficiaries.

However, sources close to the investigation have said they have a hard time believing that Maggie Murdaugh didn’t have any life insurance.

For nearly a century, the Murdaughs made millions of dollars by suing insurance companies through their law firm.

Are we really supposed to believe that Maggie Murdaugh wouldn’t have had life insurance?

Especially when we know for a fact that Alex Murdaugh had a big life insurance policy on himself.

Remember, after his alleged “suicide for hire” ordeal, he told police that the main reason he wanted Eddie Smith to shoot him on the side of the road that day was so his son Buster could collect on his $10 million life insurance policy.

If is possible that there was a life insurance policy that wasn’t listed?

Absolutely.

Maggie had a lot of unpaid bills
On top of owing more than $2 million in mortgages at the time of her death, Maggie Murdaugh owed $2,435.55 to Coastal Electric Cooperative Inc., likely for unpaid electric bills.

She owed $6,500 for unpaid bills to a Summerville interior design company. The bills were due in April and June 2021. Some of those items that were placed at the Moselle home before Maggie was murdered included:

$3,400 vintage curtains with English linen print
$2,500 drapery panels “fabricated in khaki and black antelope print”
$500 small stuffed pheasant
$180 Turkish rug pillows

I’m not surprised that Maggie didn’t have life insurance because her family /spouse / children were not dependent on an income she earned. If she had a high-paying job and minor children, and she died, her spouse might have counted on life insurance to offset the loss of her income.

That said, no one has said anything about investment income that she might have had in her own name. So that question is technically open, but based on the bank account balances we read about in Elley’s posts, it does sound like she did not have other sources of income except what AM “earned.”

Life insurance sure seems like a motive for murder in this case, so it’s hard to accept that she had no insurance. It’s just to me that it doesn’t seem to make sense that she would. Only my meandering thoughts. MOO.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/03/29...ew-docs-tell-us-about-the-murdaughs-finances/
Alex and Maggie Murdaugh's marriage was in crisis, family insider reveals | Daily Mail Online
The Fitsnews article cites the Dailymail article that goes into detail about a source that was close to Maggie about Maggie's finances- bounced check months before her murder, and hiding money in her closet. So there obviously were financial concerns Maggie had, was questioning Alex about, and thus her dive into their finances prior to her murder. She apparently had no oversight or knowledge of their finances until the well started drying up. And it doesn't surprise me she had no life insurance with no income. It was the financial concerns and her investigation into those finances in addition to possible divorce action that pushed AM over the edge IMO

---------------------------------
'It was like he had just checked out of the family, and she was stuck because she had been there so long, but she had started squirreling money away in her closet.

'I don't know if that was because she was planning to leave or because she knew that she didn't always have money to pay the bills.

'She confronted him about money more than once and his response was always the same, 'Leave it to me. I'll figure it out just like I did the last time.'

Maggie, the source told DailyMail.com, had long dealt with her husband's now much reported abuse of prescription pills but, they said, 'I don't think she'd had to worry about money before. That was new for her.'

The source explained, 'I remember one day, it must have been a few months before she was killed, she was crying because she had written a check at a charity luncheon, and it had bounced.

'She thought at first there must have been some mistake but when she found out there wasn't she was mortified and upset.

'I think when Maggie married Alex she didn't have to think about money or where it was coming from and once she started asking questions she definitely picked her battles.'

Murdaugh's response was always the same, they said, 'He'd always tell her not to worry about it, that he'd figure it out, he'd fix it.

'He was just so checked out of the family by the end. He never gave her any real answers that I heard.'

Within a 200 mile radius of the Murdaugh's, is there at least one government official or officer of the court who was not corrupted by this crime family? Murdaugh corruption and collusion has survived for decades. Reminds me of the old time mobs of NY, Chicago, Kansas City, Boston to name a few.

10 years he has been living off of other peoples money, I’m quite surprised that no one was asking how he accumulated all that he had. The Firm had to have known what he was making there, his family had to know he wasn’t making what he was spending.

Jmo

Within a 200 mile radius of the Murdaugh's, is there at least one government official or officer of the court who was not corrupted by this crime family? Murdaugh corruption and collusion has survived for decades. Reminds me of the old time mobs of NY, Chicago, Kansas City, Boston to name a few.

I think the fact that his attorneys wife works in the White House is further preventing some people from getting involved. Even now from his cell he is still engaged in “connections.”

Private investigator recorded video of Paul Murdaugh days before murders, Moselle

A private investigator has turned over video footage to authorities she allegedly took of Paul Murdaugh days before his murder last June, and of his family’s Moselle property where Paul and his mother’s bodies were found, according to a transcript of a court hearing.

The investigator, Sara Capelli of the Inquiry Agency, was hired by a firm personally representing Greg Parker, owner of a Lowcountry convenience store chain that allegedly sold Paul Murdaugh alcohol the night he allegedly crashed his family’s boat, killing Mallory Beach.

Capelli was tasked with following Paul Murdaugh for more than a year to capture him on video and did so “within three days of his murder,” attorney Mark Tinsley alleged at a March 16 court hearing for one of his lawsuits against Parker’s.

Tinsley is representing the Beach family.

That video and video where Capelli or other investigators “caused a camera to be placed at the driveway to Moselle” — the family property where Paul Murdaugh and his mother, Maggie, were found shot to death on June 7, 2021 — were turned over to the S.C. Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the murders, according to Tinsley.

That video and video where Capelli or other investigators “caused a camera to be placed at the driveway to Moselle” — the family property where Paul Murdaugh and his mother, Maggie, were found shot to death on June 7, 2021 — were turned over to the S.C. Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the murders, according to Tinsley.

It’s not clear from the hearing whether the Moselle camera was in place on the day of the murders.

The video evidence turned over to SLED is new information on what the agency might be looking at as SLED has been quietly investigating the killings of two members of the prominent Lowcountry family for more than nine months.

More at link: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article259937670.html

Alex and Maggie Murdaugh's marriage was in crisis, family insider reveals | Daily Mail Online
The Fitsnews article cites the Dailymail article that goes into detail about a source that was close to Maggie about Maggie's finances- bounced check months before her murder, and hiding money in her closet. So there obviously were financial concerns Maggie had, was questioning Alex about, and thus her dive into their finances prior to her murder. She apparently had no oversight or knowledge of their finances until the well started drying up. And it doesn't surprise me she had no life insurance with no income. It was the financial concerns and her investigation into those finances in addition to possible divorce action that pushed AM over the edge IMO

---------------------------------
'It was like he had just checked out of the family, and she was stuck because she had been there so long, but she had started squirreling money away in her closet.

'I don't know if that was because she was planning to leave or because she knew that she didn't always have money to pay the bills.

'She confronted him about money more than once and his response was always the same, 'Leave it to me. I'll figure it out just like I did the last time.'

Maggie, the source told DailyMail.com, had long dealt with her husband's now much reported abuse of prescription pills but, they said, 'I don't think she'd had to worry about money before. That was new for her.'

The source explained, 'I remember one day, it must have been a few months before she was killed, she was crying because she had written a check at a charity luncheon, and it had bounced.

'She thought at first there must have been some mistake but when she found out there wasn't she was mortified and upset.

'I think when Maggie married Alex she didn't have to think about money or where it was coming from and once she started asking questions she definitely picked her battles.'

Murdaugh's response was always the same, they said, 'He'd always tell her not to worry about it, that he'd figure it out, he'd fix it.

'He was just so checked out of the family by the end. He never gave her any real answers that I heard.'

I think it’s becoming pretty clear that Alex was robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.
He’d take out a loan, spend all the money, then steal from a settlement to repay the loan, etc. The Murdaughs were clearly living way beyond their means. He was good at “working it out” until he wasn’t. I personally don’t believe there’s scads of money hidden away somewhere; rather, I think they were in dire financial shape. The only money they have is in real estate, and even then they owe half of what it’s worth.
Maggie probably spent money as she always had, charging things on credit cards and expecting they’d be paid…then suddenly, they weren’t. Was he starving her out financially in anticipation of a divorce? Did she start to question things and uncover something? These are the questions that should be asked. MOO

Private investigator recorded video of Paul Murdaugh days before murders, Moselle

A private investigator has turned over video footage to authorities she allegedly took of Paul Murdaugh days before his murder last June, and of his family’s Moselle property where Paul and his mother’s bodies were found, according to a transcript of a court hearing.

The investigator, Sara Capelli of the Inquiry Agency, was hired by a firm personally representing Greg Parker, owner of a Lowcountry convenience store chain that allegedly sold Paul Murdaugh alcohol the night he allegedly crashed his family’s boat, killing Mallory Beach.

Capelli was tasked with following Paul Murdaugh for more than a year to capture him on video and did so “within three days of his murder,” attorney Mark Tinsley alleged at a March 16 court hearing for one of his lawsuits against Parker’s.

Tinsley is representing the Beach family.

It’s not clear from the hearing whether the Moselle camera was in place on the day of the murders.

The video evidence turned over to SLED is new information on what the agency might be looking at as SLED has been quietly investigating the killings of two members of the prominent Lowcountry family for more than nine months.

More at link: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article259937670.html

Wouldn’t that be something if the “physical evidence” is actual video from a camera the Murdaughs didn’t even know was in their driveway? MOO

I think it’s becoming pretty clear that Alex was robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.
He’d take out a loan, spend all the money, then steal from a settlement to repay the loan, etc. The Murdaughs were clearly living way beyond their means. He was good at “working it out” until he wasn’t. I personally don’t believe there’s scads of money hidden away somewhere; rather, I think they were in dire financial shape. The only money they have is in real estate, and even then they owe half of what it’s worth.
Maggie probably spent money as she always had, charging things on credit cards and expecting they’d be paid…then suddenly, they weren’t. Was he starving her out financially in anticipation of a divorce? Did she start to question things and uncover something? These are the questions that should be asked. MOO

My sense here is that your conjecture here is partially correct, but it doesn't explain all of the financial flow. His known debts comprise about half of the money that he is known, at this time, to have stolen, and I do not imagine that we know yet just how much he took illegally from others. My suspicion, from the beginning, was that he was deeply involved in money laundering, smuggling, graft, and other crimes. We may never know the extent of his machinations.

Continued

Did Maggie Murdaugh have a life insurance policy?
This has been one of the biggest questions surrounding Maggie Murdaugh’s murder since last June.

Unfortunately, the documents don’t provide a full answer.

In the probate filings, John Marvin wrote “none” when asked to list the insurance on the life of the decedent, which is payable to the estate.

He also wrote “none” under life insurance that would be payable to the beneficiaries.

However, sources close to the investigation have said they have a hard time believing that Maggie Murdaugh didn’t have any life insurance.

For nearly a century, the Murdaughs made millions of dollars by suing insurance companies through their law firm.

Are we really supposed to believe that Maggie Murdaugh wouldn’t have had life insurance?

Especially when we know for a fact that Alex Murdaugh had a big life insurance policy on himself.

Remember, after his alleged “suicide for hire” ordeal, he told police that the main reason he wanted Eddie Smith to shoot him on the side of the road that day was so his son Buster could collect on his $10 million life insurance policy.

If is possible that there was a life insurance policy that wasn’t listed?

Absolutely.

Maggie had a lot of unpaid bills
On top of owing more than $2 million in mortgages at the time of her death, Maggie Murdaugh owed $2,435.55 to Coastal Electric Cooperative Inc., likely for unpaid electric bills.

She owed $6,500 for unpaid bills to a Summerville interior design company. The bills were due in April and June 2021. Some of those items that were placed at the Moselle home before Maggie was murdered included:

$3,400 vintage curtains with English linen print
$2,500 drapery panels “fabricated in khaki and black antelope print”
$500 small stuffed pheasant
$180 Turkish rug pillows

Was AM squirreling all those stolen $$$$millions into offshore accounts before the double murders?

Almost sounds like AM controlled all the family money and doled certain amounts out to MM? I remember way back one story where she was out and about and was shocked / embarrassed that her CC or bank account didn't have enough to cover her purchase.

If her bank accounts were being drained / not regularly replenished and mortgages / other bills were not being paid prior to her death, this would absolutely be part of a premeditated plan to murder her.
JMO

Murdaugh Murders: SLED Clarifies Role Of Fourteenth Circuit Solicitor’s Office In Homicide Investigation

In the days following the double homicide, though, FITSNews was first to report that Alex Murdaugh was a person of interest in connection with the murders, according to sources close to the investigation. Three months ago, we exclusively reported on the existence of physical evidence tying Murdaugh to the crime scene.

That evidence appears to be referenced in the joint statement from SLED and Stone.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/03/31...-solicitors-office-in-homicide-investigation/

From the first hours of SLED’s investigation, chief Mark Keel was in direct and regular contact with both 14th circuit solicitor Duffie Stone and S.C. attorney general Alan Wilson,” the statement noted. “All agreed that should evidence emerge establishing a potential conflict, chief Keel would contact solicitor Stone and attorney general Wilson immediately. Chief Keel did so, and Stone immediately recused himself from the case on August 11, 2021.”

Sources familiar with the status of the probe have indicated the evidence prompting Stone’s recusal was the physical evidence referenced in our January report.

Eta

Adding this sentence from link.

Shell casings were reportedly found around her body …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8