SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@RealRileyBenson

Laffitte trial deliberations just reached the 6th hour in Downtown Charleston. No indication of the timing of anything.

Prosecutor Winston Holliday just informed media that the jury has ordered pizza and plans to continue deliberating for now. Waiting game continues…

Judge Gergel just came back. Has received two notes from a juror who is in need of an antibiotic and says they’ve been pressured to change their vote. Judge is considering needing to bring in an alternate juror and begin deliberations all over.

There’s a 3rd and 4th note to Judge Gergel. Expressing shared concern. Has an issue with the 11th page of the charge. Seems to be an issue with a prior juror’s experience after having been bullied. Note says the juror has been hostile to debate evidence.

4th note from a Juror asking for an alternate to replace them due to experiencing anxiety.

This is a lot to process. First two notes regarding needing and antibiotic and feeling pressured to change their vote. Third and forth notes appear to be unrelated and potentially from two other jurors. One fearful of being bullied due to past experience, the other with anxiety.

There are three alternate jurors here who have NOT been a part of the deliberation process. Judge is considering bringing them in - which would start the deliberation over. Seems they want to wrap this up tonight.

Judge Gergel, Federal Prosecutors and Defense Counsel are talking how to proceed. Sounds like Judge Gergel is going to sit down and meet with the jurors who have sent the notes. And antibiotic request will likely be struck from the jury.

Alternate jurors are being brought into the process. It’s unclear of exactly what’s going to happen.

@WCBD

Last edited:
John Monk reports on Twitter GUILTY on all 6 counts for Laffitte

Just want to bring this point forward. A quote by JMM in Dec2021 about doing his best to serve Maggie (as her newly appointed executor) because she is “ certainly very innocent in all this.” It was first published in the Island Packet, posted to this site, #545 in thread #11 here. Tell us what you do know without telling us what you know, JMM. Blood is thicker than swamp water in SC and I’d be willing to bet that Mr LaFitte won’t be the only defendant who has family members testifying and cracking under cross examination. Headline: “AM, not the only Hell his daddy ever raised”

Attachments

• E1871853-B61D-4586-8CFA-A192E4F7BCA2.jpeg
    E1871853-B61D-4586-8CFA-A192E4F7BCA2.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 35
Around 7:45 p.m., the jurors brought four notes to the judge. Notes one and two were about a juror needing an antibiotic and feeling pressured to change his/her vote.
Around 8:30 p.m., two jurors were relieved and replaced with alternates.
Shortly before 9:30 p.m., court was called back into session and defense raised objection to the alternate juror who was brought in to relieve the juror with anxiety. Defense claimed that it should have been an hung jury.
I am interested to see how, if at all, this juror drama plays into appeals.

I didn't realize RL's family was taking the stand against him. Interesting. I actually know a few of the Lafitte's....no one in this trial and they are only related by marriage. The ones I know are good people and really nice! We've never talked about the case so I have no insider info to get verified on. But like I said, they are only related through marriage, in-laws, not any of the key players in this.
From that article:
"The Plyler sisters shared emotional testimony Monday about Russell Laffitte's treatment of them as their financial guardian. The sisters said Laffitte often made it very difficult for them to get money that belonged to them as they struggled just to find places to live."

He and AM are two despicable peas in a pod. He's absolutely no victim. Disgusting amoral and heartless, the pair of them.

@RealRileyBenson

Laffitte trial deliberations just reached the 6th hour in Downtown Charleston. No indication of the timing of anything.

Prosecutor Winston Holliday just informed media that the jury has ordered pizza and plans to continue deliberating for now. Waiting game continues…

Judge Gergel just came back. Has received two notes from a juror who is in need of an antibiotic and says they’ve been pressured to change their vote. Judge is considering needing to bring in an alternate juror and begin deliberations all over.

There’s a 3rd and 4th note to Judge Gergel. Expressing shared concern. Has an issue with the 11th page of the charge. Seems to be an issue with a prior juror’s experience after having been bullied. Note says the juror has been hostile to debate evidence.

4th note from a Juror asking for an alternate to replace them due to experiencing anxiety.

This is a lot to process. First two notes regarding needing and antibiotic and feeling pressured to change their vote. Third and forth notes appear to be unrelated and potentially from two other jurors. One fearful of being bullied due to past experience, the other with anxiety.

There are three alternate jurors here who have NOT been a part of the deliberation process. Judge is considering bringing them in - which would start the deliberation over. Seems they want to wrap this up tonight.

Judge Gergel, Federal Prosecutors and Defense Counsel are talking how to proceed. Sounds like Judge Gergel is going to sit down and meet with the jurors who have sent the notes. And antibiotic request will likely be struck from the jury.

Alternate jurors are being brought into the process. It’s unclear of exactly what’s going to happen.

@WCBD
Sooooo...was there a plant in this jury to throw off this jury and cause a mistrial? Sounds like a TV movie plot, but I put absolutely nothing past the Murdaugh empire and their cronies.

And… I just scrolled down and read that he was found guilty on all counts, thank God! One down, but a long way to go until justice is done for all of these victims.

Shocked by reports of happenings during deliberations. Clearly some jurors wanted off of that jury. Hope there is no chance of mistrial, despite a verdict being reached.

Last edited:
In a 96-page motion, filed Wednesday in Colleton County criminal court, attorneys Dick Harpootlin and Jim Griffin contend that an April leak purportedly from a state’s scientific witness about “high-velocity impact spatter” was improperly shared shared with news website FitsNews. The motion also contends that “the State,” meaning prosecutors or investigators, “destroyed in bad faith” evidence that defense argue would have helped prove Murdaugh’s innocence.

@AveryGWilks

The list of people SLED obtained DNA swabs from in the two weeks after the 6/7/21 murders is interesting. Includes several members of the Murdaugh family, a family groundskeeper, the surviving 2019 boat crash passengers, and Mallory Beach's relatives.

Read more at: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article269147997.html#storylink=cpy

foxcarolina is running this story about AMs lawyers wanting evidence thrown out. I still think they will hunt an opening on the crime scene being contaminated with people that shouldn’t have been there as I’m sure they can spin it. This shirt has been the focus since his arrest so it’s no surprise they are trying to eliminate it.

And so it begins, not surprising. What I am confused about is this motion keeps stating that Paul was shot in a closet, blood was on the walls and ceiling.

I haven't heard this before, and by closet do they mean the kennel? IDK

Same here.

I wondered about the building that had refrigerator (beer) gun safe and maybe a closet for hunting clothes, boots and such.

Jmo

It does seem that deliberations should have started from scratch with the alternate juror. IMOO

Later in the trial, Russell Laffitte’s brother – Charles Laffitte III – testified Alex Murdaugh told him he was having trouble getting Maggie Murdaugh to agree to an appraisal date for their jointly owned Edisto Beach, S.C. property.

Maggie Murdaugh was living at this home in the months leading up to her murder, and owned a “one-half, undivided fee-simple interest” in the property, according to county tax records. This is a potentially significant development as it could point to another motive for Alex Murdaugh to kill his wife – whom sources have previously told this news outlet was “lured” to the family compound by her husband on the night of her murder.

I am sure the lawyers cherry-picked the photos they wanted to show, but the appearance of the shirt was far less impressive than I had expected.

Although the filing suggests SLED intentionally destroyed the garment, it seems somewhat probable that someone friendly to AM may have allowed the evidence to be destroyed.

I was also unimpressed with the "expert". There were a few grammatical errors in his report, but what bothered me most about his report was the use of the term "bullet". I would expect an expert to use more technical terms such as "casing" or "projectile" to describe findings.

My gut feeling is that the shirt will be excluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arling