SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as Alec’s murder trial remains scheduled to begin Jan. 23, the AG’s office has until Dec. 23 (10 days from now) to announce whether it will seek the death penalty. As discussed in the P&C podcast, Understand Murdaugh,” it’s not a simple decision. Assuming AM is convicted of both murders:
  • A double murder conviction is heinous enough to meet SC’s requirements for DP.
  • If DP is going to be sought, trial will probably be put off to allow defense more time to prepare and gather/fund experts.
  • In a DP case, the state actually helps underwrite the cost of expert witnesses for defense.
  • If AG does not seek the DP, some will see it as favoritism towards a rich, white guy. Most people on SC’s death row are minorities and poor, mainly black.
  • On the other hand, excluding future potential financial crimes, AM has never been convicted of anything before — he has no prior criminal record — so some would say the DP is too harsh.
  • If AM is executed Maggie and Paul’s family, which also happens to be Alec’s family, will suffer another loss.
  • If AM does get the death penalty, he will no doubt appeal it, subjecting Maggie and Paul’s family to years/maybe decades of court cases and upheaval.

My question: If AM were to be convicted of the murders and received DP, and then continued with years/decades of appeals, would his legal fees take priority over reimbursing his victims and/or paying the wronged folks who may win suits against him? Could he use up all his assets with his appeals leaving his victims high and dry? What if he runs out of funds through the appeal process? Would D&J send him to Legal Aid or court appointed counsel?

The DP here is automatically appealed but I’m not sure on the cost. With so much attention and a lot of people (voters) supporting it, I would be surprised if they didn’t go for capital punishment. I thought at the time that they wouldn’t try to execute Susan Smith given her family connections but the state and county didn’t hesitate.

The DP here is automatically appealed but I’m not sure on the cost. With so much attention and a lot of people (voters) supporting it, I would be surprised if they didn’t go for capital punishment. I thought at the time that they wouldn’t try to execute Susan Smith given her family connections but the state and county didn’t hesitate.
Surprised more people on here aren’t talking about DP and discussion in the podcast since the deadline to decide on DP is coming soon.

Guess we are all happily distracted with the holidays :)

I suspect Alec had outer clothes on. Over his undershirt. As he removed the outer layer, I believe he drew up the bottom of his undershirt to wipe his son's blood off his face, transferring his face to his shroud of t-shirt.

JMO
There have been so many stories about the "high-velocity blood spatter" on the shirt AM was wearing the night of the murders, and how this was the public smoking gun, if you will, so I really wanted to hear about this evidence in the last hearing.

Unfortunately, the shirt evidence that I was able to listen to was dominated by AM's attorney, DH, who I find difficult to follow and had to settle for MSM summarizing that the Judge granted the defense's motion, compelling the state to provide the defense with all communications including draft reports and presentations tied to the shirt.

From what I recall from the hearing, the tests by the state seem inconsistent about whether or not there was evidence of velocity blood spatter, but we know that DNA was confirmed present, likely belonging to M, P, and other unknown individuals. I think the defense is arguing that the blood evidence itself on the shirt alleged as Paul's does not test positive for Paul's DNA.

As to the stains on the photograph of the shirt, I think the larger corner blue marker test for blood was most likely caused by AM wiping his hand on his shirt.

IMO, a father willing to shoot his son in the head at close range isn't likely to wipe his son's face. MOO

There have been so many stories about the "high-velocity blood spatter" on the shirt AM was wearing the night of the murders, and how this was the public smoking gun, if you will, so I really wanted to hear about this evidence in the last hearing.

Unfortunately, the shirt evidence that I was able to listen to was dominated by AM's attorney, DH, who I find difficult to follow and had to settle for MSM summarizing that the Judge granted the defense's motion, compelling the state to provide the defense with all communications including draft reports and presentations tied to the shirt.

From what I recall from the hearing, the tests by the state seem inconsistent about whether or not there was evidence of velocity blood spatter, but we know that DNA was confirmed present, likely belonging to M, P, and other unknown individuals. I think the defense is arguing that the blood evidence itself on the shirt alleged as Paul's does not test positive for Paul's DNA.

As to the stains on the photograph of the shirt, I think the larger corner blue marker test for blood was most likely caused by AM wiping his hand on his shirt.

IMO, a father willing to shoot his son in the head at close range isn't likely to wipe his son's face. MOO
(Just to clarify my own point, I was picturing AM wiping blood off his own face.)

It's all unthinkable really.

JMO

View attachment 387200

I have wondered why he would have a white tshirt on in the first place. Most men only wear those under another shirt, even with logos/pockets. Did the blood go through AM's outer shirt, which was removed. May that be the (or one of) item placed behind his parents' house?
======
According to our sources, this witness “saw Alex hide something wrapped in a blue tarp behind (his parents) house” upon arriving from Moselle. Another source referred to the blue tarp as a “rain slicker” – or rain jacket – but confirmed “it was blue.”

“It ended up being a rain jacket the witness thought was a tarp,” the source said.

Whatever the blue water resistant item was, “there was significant GSR (gunshot residue) on it,” one of our sources said.

The jacket has since been recovered by law enforcement, but the items which were transported inside it – presumed to be the two murder weapons and other potentially incriminating evidence – were not retrieved from the scene.
He may have purposefully worn just the t-shirt under a rain coat because he planned on murdering his wife. I think it was a surprise to him that his son was there, but he had to kill him too. JMO

I suspect Alec had outer clothes on. Over his undershirt. As he removed the outer layer, I believe he drew up the bottom of his undershirt to wipe his son's blood off his face, transferring his face to his shroud of t-shirt.

JMO
Except that the blood was determined to be blood spatter from the victim, even a swipe across his face showing the victim's blood wouldn't clear him.

Susan Smith was given life in prison.

Susan Smith was given life in prison.

True but it was a Capital Murder trial. She actually has a chance for parole since I don’t think they strengthened those sentence laws until shortly after her conviction.

On the raincoat/tarp topic, if he was covered, now would they get the high velocity splatter on his shirt?

I wouldn’t think the DP would make for good holiday discussion but there will be some of it this year.
I have no qualms about hoping the State go for the DP. If there is a poster child for the DP, it's AM.

To lie, cheat, steal from the very people that trusted you the most, and then to kill your own wife and son in cold blood to cover your tracks, ding, ding, ding. You deserve the ultimate prize IMO.

MOO

I have no qualms about hoping the State go for the DP. If there is a poster child for the DP, it's AM.

To lie, cheat, steal from the very people that trusted you the most, and then to kill your own wife and son in cold blood to cover your tracks, ding, ding, ding. You deserve the ultimate prize IMO.

MOO

Personally I’m not for the DP but that’s neither here or there. As for checking boxes, I think with it being 2 victims and use of a weapon qualifies it to be a capital case. I’ve no idea how the money crimes will play in other than motive.

I mean, good on them, but as a non-US citizen I wondered about this para:

For tax years 2011-2019, Murdaugh failed to report $6,954,639 of income earned through illegal acts thereby causing state taxable income to be underreported to the State of South Carolina. Murdaugh owes state tax totaling $486,819.

Should AM be paying state taxes on monies clearly stolen from others? If those funds are recouped is he still liable for the taxes owed?

I appreciate the penalties, even if at this point they're likely tacked onto the end of far greater penalties.

I agree with @meanmaryjean above that teams of SC prosecutors are likely scouring the statutes looking for absolutely anything else that AM can be charged with, large or small -- did his dogs have licenses and up-to-date jabs? And more power to them.

I mean, good on them, but as a non-US citizen I wondered about this para:

For tax years 2011-2019, Murdaugh failed to report $6,954,639 of income earned through illegal acts thereby causing state taxable income to be underreported to the State of South Carolina. Murdaugh owes state tax totaling $486,819.

Should AM be paying state taxes on monies clearly stolen from others? If those funds are recouped is he still liable for the taxes owed?

I appreciate the penalties, even if at this point they're likely tacked onto the end of far greater penalties.

I agree with @meanmaryjean above that teams of SC prosecutors are likely scouring the statutes looking for absolutely anything else that AM can be charged with, large or small -- did his dogs have licenses and up-to-date jabs? And more power to them.

The most famous case in the United States involving successful prosecution for tax evasion was notorious mobster Al Capone. While he was accused of a multitude of crimes, it was the Internal Revenue Service that was able to finally put him in prison for tax evasion.

In the United States, all income, legal or illegal, is taxable income, unless excluded by an act of Congress. Illegal income even includes stolen physical property!

Below is a news article that gives a general explanation. I believe that a lot of these concepts at the federal level can be brought down to the state level, as well, though I do not know the particulars of South Carolina!

As to your second question, I expect that, even if those funds were “recouped,” they would still be taxable to AM because it was still income to him (prior to it being taken away many years later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4