SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggest criminal murder trials set to begin in 2023​

Jan. 23 — Alex Murdaugh (South Carolina)

Disbarred South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh is set to go to trial on Jan. 23 in the Colleton County Courthouse. The trial is expected to go until Feb. 10, and Judge Clifton Newman will be presiding.

Murdaugh, a once-prominent legal giant, pleaded not guilty in July to two counts of murder stemming from the deaths of his wife and son last year. His wife, Margaret "Maggie" Murdaugh, 52, and son Paul, 22, were found dead near the family's hunting estate on June 7, 2021, with gunshot afflictions.

Need a memory refresher: Were AM's finances being audited due to Maggie's filing for divorce just prior to her murder? Can't recall if this annoying detail is fact or speculation. tia.

I hope this is an approved source, I cannot remember.

If by some slim chance he beats the murder charges, he and his lawyers will have a leg to stand with about an extreme penalty would be unfair on the money crimes. I don’t underestimate this legal team as they have deeper connections than AM.

That's a good point. When the President appoints your wife as the ambassador of the United States to the Republic of Slovenia you've got deep connections.

Last edited:
<snipped>

Russell Laffitte, the disgraced Hampton banker found guilty in November of six counts of federal bank-related fraud, has hired two new lawyers as he seeks to appeal his case.

The hiring of criminal defense lawyer Mark Moore, a former federal prosecutor, and his associate, Michael Parente, were filed in public federal court records Sunday. Both work for Columbia-based Nexsen Pruet.

Moore and Parente filed their first motion in the case Sunday — a supplemental motion for a new trial, an action that Laffitte’s previous lawyers had already begun. Their motion requests that certain material concerning jurors who sat on the case be kept under seal.

Murdaugh-linked ex-banker Laffitte hires new SC lawyers to fight fraud conviction

<snipped> good info here​

Judge protects identity of jurors in Murdaugh murder trial​

After garnering international headlines and an almost cult-like true crime following, Murdaugh's murder trial is expected to be one of the most publicized and widely followed criminal trials in SC history. To protect the integrity of the trial, and to protect the jurors would will decide guilt or innocence, SC Circuit Judge Clifton Newman has issued a court order preventing the public release of juror information.

State seeks to exclude polygraph, third-party suspect evidence​

New documents reveal more about the Alex Murdaugh murder and Russell Laffitte fraud cases

After garnering international headlines and an almost cult-like true crime following, Murdaugh's murder trial is expected to be one of the most publicized and widely followed criminal trials in SC history. To protect the integrity of the trial, and to protect the jurors would will decide guilt or innocence, SC Circuit Judge Clifton Newman has issued a court order preventing the public release of juror information.

New documents reveal more about the Alex Murdaugh murder and Russell Laffitte fraud cases
I loved reading this. Fewer than three more weeks until trial. I had been fretting that defense would motion for continuance, but looks like trial will proceed as scheduled. I can't wait to see the defense team and prosecutors in action!...I love me a good jury trial. Yes! I am excited.
ETA: Bring on the parking lot food trucks. :cool:

The public probably isn’t as big of a concern with juror identity as the defense/state will be since that could be the deciding factor. As I’ve said before, I never underestimate the power of dirty dealings in this state.

That small town will be invaded by visitors wanting food, etc. It actually sounds like a rather practical idea to me. Some will welcome the chance to cash in on the implosion of a local legacy, some will not. MOO

Justice for Mallory Maggie and Paul
And justice for everyone else whose lives were destroyed by this sorry excuse for a family.

lol..Are you saying the tentacles of corruption spread far and deep?

I’ve known for decades how some people in these counties can wave a wand and make stuff like DUI charges magically vanish with enough money and I’d bet that AM knew that game well. Who knows if one of those jurors could have such a tie to AM from years back and figures it’s time to scratch his back. Especially given that I’m sure his brothers are still well dug in with people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4