SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the interview of Joseph Scott Morgan from the other Murdaugh podcast pretty helpful in understanding the DNA testing issues with this shirt.

Probably can't link the podcast but I first heard of JSM via Tricia's true crime radio years ago. <3

IMO, the system isn’t based on justice, as we think of it, rather it is about interpretation of laws. DH and JG likely have a good staff who can do the technology piece of the defense as it relates to the case. I do not underestimate the following: a) DH and JG intelligence b) M family influence or c) a Colleton County Juror. It’s no slam dunk by any means.

<snipped>

“Motive is the most important fact the jury would want to know in understanding why (the) defendant murdered his own wife and son,” prosecutors said in their filing.

At the time of the killings, Murdaugh was snared in an “unbroken series of misappropriations, lies, loans, debts, and thefts” that belied his surface appearance as a rich, successful attorney from a prominent family, prosecutors said.

Beneath that gilded surface was the hidden life of a drug user who borrowed and stole money, staying barely one step ahead of debt and discovery, prosecutors said.

On June 7, 2021, the day that Paul and Maggie were killed at the family’s 1,700-acre hunting lodge called Moselle, Murdaugh’s law firm had demanded that Murdaugh provide an explanation as to where hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees owed to the firm had gone, according to the motion.

“Murdaugh had neither the money nor a plausible legal explanation with which to respond to the demand,” prosecutors allege.

Murdaugh also was facing a pending motion to compel production of his personal financial records in the ongoing civil litigation surrounding the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach in 2019.
‘Perfect storm’ of debts and looming exposure drove Murdaugh to kill, SC prosecutors say

If they truly have video of him with Paul and Maggie right before the murder time range, that’s doubtful to be refutable. He’s changed his timeline so much and never admitted being with them by where the video is rumored to be shot.

If they truly have video of him with Paul and Maggie right before the murder time range, that’s doubtful to be refutable. He’s changed his timeline so much and never admitted being with them by where the video is rumored to be shot.
I believe it's only AM's voice heard on Paul's video so we can expect his defense to go overboard here as if it was some phantom at the kennel that was laughing with Paul over MM mistaking what the dog was carrying in its mouth. MOO

ETA: I recall members of the law firm authenticated the voice was AM but I don't recall if they have an expert voice analyst on record yet.

IMO, the system isn’t based on justice, as we think of it, rather it is about interpretation of laws. DH and JG likely have a good staff who can do the technology piece of the defense as it relates to the case. I do not underestimate the following: a) DH and JG intelligence b) M family influence or c) a Colleton County Juror. It’s no slam dunk by any means.

Very well stated and I certainly agree.

I watched the motions from yesterday. I sure hope the justice system gets this one right…AM’s alibi according to defense fits just wayyyy too close to what SLED/LE has put together. PM’s video should be the crushing blow. In SC, You just never know. It’s just crazy to me he leaves at 9:06 while his wife and son are murdered at 9. His defense has somehow put his alibi together by the seconds…just crazy

This article is a good summary of yesterday’s hearing. Also, somehow, I missed this…

The judge also issued a surprise ruling Friday. He asked that a portrait hanging in the courtroom of Murdaugh's grandfather, who served as the 14th Circuit Solicitor, be taken down during the murder trial.

I found the interview of Joseph Scott Morgan from the other Murdaugh podcast pretty helpful in understanding the DNA testing issues with this shirt.

Probably can't link the podcast but I first heard of JSM via Tricia's true crime radio years ago. <3
Here is Impact of Influence episode with Joseph Scott Morgan talking about the shirt, DNA, etc. IMHO Joe Scott is always fascinating.

A Forensic Expert Weighs In On Alex’s Defense Motion

I have a question for others about "the shirt." Has the prosecution stated explicitly that it is the shirt that they believe he was wearing when he committed the murder? But if he visited his mother after the shootings, and then returned to the murder scene, wouldn't he have changed his shirt before going to his mother's house? I may have missed something here, but I don't recall seeing reports as to when and where the police obtained this shirt. I had been assuming that he was wearing it when the police arrived at the murder scene, but now I am wondering about that.

I have a question for others about "the shirt." Has the prosecution stated explicitly that it is the shirt that they believe he was wearing when he committed the murder? But if he visited his mother after the shootings, and then returned to the murder scene, wouldn't he have changed his shirt before going to his mother's house? I may have missed something here, but I don't recall seeing reports as to when and where the police obtained this shirt. I had been assuming that he was wearing it when the police arrived at the murder scene, but now I am wondering about that.
1670959742200.png

I have wondered why he would have a white tshirt on in the first place. Most men only wear those under another shirt, even with logos/pockets. Did the blood go through AM's outer shirt, which was removed. May that be the (or one of) item placed behind his parents' house?
======
According to our sources, this witness “saw Alex hide something wrapped in a blue tarp behind (his parents) house” upon arriving from Moselle. Another source referred to the blue tarp as a “rain slicker” – or rain jacket – but confirmed “it was blue.”

“It ended up being a rain jacket the witness thought was a tarp,” the source said.

Whatever the blue water resistant item was, “there was significant GSR (gunshot residue) on it,” one of our sources said.

The jacket has since been recovered by law enforcement, but the items which were transported inside it – presumed to be the two murder weapons and other potentially incriminating evidence – were not retrieved from the scene.

View attachment 387200

I have wondered why he would have a white tshirt on in the first place. Most men only wear those under another shirt, even with logos/pockets. Did the blood go through AM's outer shirt, which was removed. May that be the (or one of) item placed behind his parents' house?
======
According to our sources, this witness “saw Alex hide something wrapped in a blue tarp behind (his parents) house” upon arriving from Moselle. Another source referred to the blue tarp as a “rain slicker” – or rain jacket – but confirmed “it was blue.”

“It ended up being a rain jacket the witness thought was a tarp,” the source said.

Whatever the blue water resistant item was, “there was significant GSR (gunshot residue) on it,” one of our sources said.

The jacket has since been recovered by law enforcement, but the items which were transported inside it – presumed to be the two murder weapons and other potentially incriminating evidence – were not retrieved from the scene.
I suspect Alec had outer clothes on. Over his undershirt. As he removed the outer layer, I believe he drew up the bottom of his undershirt to wipe his son's blood off his face, transferring his face to his shroud of t-shirt.

JMO

I suspect Alec had outer clothes on. Over his undershirt. As he removed the outer layer, I believe he drew up the bottom of his undershirt to wipe his son's blood off his face, transferring his face to his shroud of t-shirt.

JMO

I wouldn’t expect layers of clothes during the summers down there. Or dark clothes very much with the heat.

As long as Alec’s murder trial remains scheduled to begin Jan. 23, the AG’s office has until Dec. 23 (10 days from now) to announce whether it will seek the death penalty. As discussed in the P&C podcast, Understand Murdaugh,” it’s not a simple decision. Assuming AM is convicted of both murders:
  • A double murder conviction is heinous enough to meet SC’s requirements for DP.
  • If DP is going to be sought, trial will probably be put off to allow defense more time to prepare and gather/fund experts.
  • In a DP case, the state actually helps underwrite the cost of expert witnesses for defense.
  • If AG does not seek the DP, some will see it as favoritism towards a rich, white guy. Most people on SC’s death row are minorities and poor, mainly black.
  • On the other hand, excluding future potential financial crimes, AM has never been convicted of anything before — he has no prior criminal record — so some would say the DP is too harsh.
  • If AM is executed Maggie and Paul’s family, which also happens to be Alec’s family, will suffer another loss.
  • If AM does get the death penalty, he will no doubt appeal it, subjecting Maggie and Paul’s family to years/maybe decades of court cases and upheaval.

My question: If AM were to be convicted of the murders and received DP, and then continued with years/decades of appeals, would his legal fees take priority over reimbursing his victims and/or paying the wronged folks who may win suits against him? Could he use up all his assets with his appeals leaving his victims high and dry? What if he runs out of funds through the appeal process? Would D&J send him to Legal Aid or court appointed counsel?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member