SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, why ever punish anyone when ultimately everything is society's fault
That’s one way of looking at what I wrote.

But maybe I still want to live in a society where justice means that we need REAL proof to convict even someone we rightfully despise. None of those depositions put PM’s hands on the wheel at the critical time. That should matter. Too often media, lawyers etc use our emotions to make us decide their way not on evidence but on outrage .

Sorry, that’s not justice. I can imagine a lot of things about PM, starting with the weird arson fire. But if I’m in the jury box…I need more than that.

But at the same time, I’d like to live in a society without different treatment, legal loopholes for those lucky enough to have lawyers on call toshow up immediately to prevent breathalyzer tests and interviews in the moments after the crash. Perhaps statements would have been made then, in the horror over a missing friend, that would have provided what I’d need to convict.

But, if that were the case, why leave the door open and thus communicate the message someone may be looking for him? Manager or friend sees door standing open, calls PM on his cell and PM then knows something suspicious is going on. If someone went there looking for him, failed to find him there, and continued looking at other places he might be, I'd think they'd close the door when leaving.

That open door spells "evidence spoilage" to me.

ETA: Not that all evidence inside would actually be spoiled. For instance, people tend to secure their computers and computer files with passwords and access codes, so those were protected beyond the need for a locked physical door. Computer files, communications, and internet searches on his computer would all be time-stamped and if they were last accessed prior to the invasion of the apartment, they'd not be spoiled as evidence. Same with anything protected by a physical lock (a safe, padlocked footlocker, etc).

Occam’s Razor says someone read the news about the murders and thought, well, I need to go steal whatever’s in the kid’s apartment. During weddings and funerals, plenty of burglars help themselves to whatever they can find at houses left empty by a group event.

Last edited:
I promise you with things that have occurred around the area of USC and it being a college apartment building, there were plenty of cameras. The person who entered that apartment or left that door open is most certainly on camera.

I said this and everyone jumped on me about it - ha!! I knew there was a court hearing around the same time as the murders. That’s what the local news was saying. Thank you for posting this!!!

Mediation is not a court hearing. It’s a meeting between all parties and all their lawyers to attempt to settle the case with the assistance of a neutral third party. It can be court ordered during a hearing, or pursuant to a court’s (judge’s) docket control order, or voluntary. From what I recall, their mediation was not successful. They did not settle. And that’s all that is reported to the court. Settled or not settled. All discussions during the mediation are to remain private; no note taking and/or the notes are to be given to the mediator at the conclusion; and progress or no progress, possible terms and conditions are not to be disclosed. Much like any other settlement discussions, mediated or not. These rules are usually verbalized/ written out and agreed to prior to the opening statements from all sides. Terms of engagement.

Occam’s Razor says someone read the news about the murders and thought, well, I need to go steal whatever’s in the kids apartment. During weddings and funerals, plenty of burglars help themselves to whatever they can find at houses left empty by a group event.
During weddings and funerals, there isn't an active police investigation underway. So, I disagree that Occam's Razor says that here. This was a much riskier break-in.

During weddings and funerals, there isn't an active police investigation underway. So, I disagree that Occam's Razor says that here. This was a much riskier break-in.

Riskier break in does not change my Occam’s Razor basis. It COULD be plain vanilla burglars who have perfected or limited their MO by targeting post trauma victims. Especially dead ones. I could say that the break in was less risky in light of the fact that all attention is focused several hundred miles away. Victim is dead. Other student away for summer break. Had they closed the door behind themselves, it probably would have been many days later that the break in was discovered.
More ETA: If there are cameras, the burglars are well seasoned. Hooded, dark clothes, late hours, typical student late night post classes behavior. Along with skill in opening up the locked doors without incident. Silent. Quick. In and out. Really rich kid’s apartment. Electronics was the target. One “old” computer left for the police to take after the warrant issued.
Hopefully the LE retrieved some remaining items that will assist in solving the murders.

Last edited:
https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article252203618.html

JUNE 18, 2021

The search was carried out this week after SLED obtained a search warrant from a state judge.

On the afternoon of June 8 — a day after the killings — a property manager of the apartment complex found an open door in a unit in that property complex and notified the Columbia police department, according to city police.

Week before LE checked apartment.

Eta

Stephen Smith’s case reopened 22, first reported iirc.

Last edited:
Riskier break in does not change my Occam’s Razor basis. It COULD be plain vanilla burglars who have perfected or limited their MO by targeting post trauma victims. Especially dead ones. I could say that the break in was less risky in light of the fact that all attention is focused several hundred miles away. Victim is dead. Other student away for summer break. Had they closed the door behind themselves, it probably would have been many days later that the break in was discovered.
More ETA: If there are cameras, the burglars are well seasoned. Hooded, dark clothes, late hours, typical student late night post classes behavior. Along with skill in opening up the locked doors without incident. Silent. Quick. In and out. Really rich kid’s apartment. Electronics was the target. One “old” computer left for the police to take after the warrant issued.
Hopefully the LE retrieved some remaining items that will assist in solving the murders.
It's a "really rich kid's apartment" in a controlled access building.
612 Whaley Apartments For Rent in Columbia, SC | ForRent.com
(That link is to "an" apartment for rent there, not PM's in particular. I found it by searching for student apartments near Univ of South Carolina and recognized the building from news shots.)

So, the apartment invaders had to get past two locked doors - the front main door or a side/back door of the building, as well as the individual apartment door.

My daughter lived in a similar building when she attended a university and I must admit that university students are very negligent about enforcing the controlled access to the building even when management urges more caution. Residents or visiting friends will often open the door to grant access to anyone who appears on the outside of it and many will allow anyone who is walking in behind them access after they've opened the door using their own key or code.

I don't know if this apartment was similar to my daughter's, but to gain access to her apartment, she had to use a magnetic key which controlled an electronic deadbolt and access records were kept by building management. The magnetic key was also necessary to lock the door when leaving the apartment. The keys were only issued to the residents (non-resident family members or guardians could not have one). And there were surveillance cameras throughout the building, at each entry point and on each wing of each floor. Names of residents were NOT posted anywhere to indicate which apt they lived in.

I think the average, unrelated to the victim in any way "gain access to steal while people aren't paying attention" thief would likely take a pass on this particular opportunity. But, someone closer - an associate at school who knew about the laxity of the controlled access or someone who lived in the building and knew which apartment was PM's - might exploit the opportunity, either crashing through the lock or entering through a window (if he lived on a low floor) and leaving the door unlocked when exiting through it.

It will be interesting to learn how access was gained to the apartment if LE ever shares that information. And I share your hope that LE found something there that will assist in solving the double-homicides. Securing convictions, even better.

new murdaugh story

On Friday, Alex and Buster Murdaugh announced a reward of $100,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who killed Paul and Maggie.

“I want to thank everyone for the incredible love and support that we have received over the last few weeks,” Alex Murdaugh said. “Now is the time to bring justice for Maggie and Paul. Buster and I, along with Maggie’s mother, father and our entire family, ask that anyone with helpful information immediately call the SLED tip line or Crime Stoppers.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division established a tip line dedicated to this homicide investigation.

Anyone with information about the case can call (803) 896-2605. The line is being monitored 24 hours a day.

SLED has agreed to identify anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for these crimes, if the person wishes to claim the reward.

The law firm of Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick, will administer the reward.

The total reward amount is $100,000 and will be allocated equally among all persons who provide information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for these crimes.

To be eligible, the person claiming the reward must submit the tip to SLED or Crime Stoppers on or before Sept. 31, 2021.
What does that mean before September 31st?

What does that mean before September 31st?

Just another weird detail. Obviously, there is no Sept 31. But does no one proof read at this high powered law firm? A reward for a senior partner’s murdered wife and son might be something that might cause some extra attention to detail before submitting for publication.

But odder than that…is the deadline. So after September, no reward? If you can’t help on OUR schedule…then we aren’t interested? In my humble opinion, this is bizarre.

It’s like they have to control everything…even the timetable to solve the murders.

Murdaugh mystery deepens as murder cold case with ties to family reopens

Some new details in this article. This is a strange comment from a friend of MM. “dragged through the dark to the dog kennels to see the carnage.”

Dragged from where? The main house? Her car?

“She is the victim, having lost her son, being part of the slaughter at the farm, and [having] her world turned upside down,” one woman who claimed to know Maggie told The Post. “Have [people] ever thought of the terror she faced that night being dragged through the dark to the dog kennels to see the carnage?”

The woman said it is impossible to “understand Southern women” if you are from the North.

“The silent grieving will soon end and there will be an eruption like Mt. Vesuvius … mark my words,” she added.
Excellent catch!!!!!

So, the apartment invaders had to get past two locked doors - the front main door or a side/back door of the building, as well as the individual apartment door.

Snipped by me -

We still don't have enough information to know if there even were any "invaders". While in college, I accidentally left my apartment door open countless times.

Well, who knows if it’s legit. But with a complete blackout of official information, we are left to ponder these snippets of supposed information leaked to the press.

If it’s true, and she was forced to the scene, it does suggest a number of different possible scenarios.First one I think of…she didn’t need to be killed, because she wasn’t at the scene. So her killing was deliberate and not just wrong place, wrong time.
Yes, and if Paul didn't produce what they were looking for or demand, by forcing her to look at the scene may move her to give them what they wanted? MOO
Hmmmm.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members