SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he had to. He's been front and center re the murders 1).on national t.v. with another non lawyer brother attesting to AM's rock solid alibi....namely that AM was at the hospital with their father at the time of the murders.(This has not been confirmed by SLED 2.)RM was also front and center at the murder crime scene the next day. He was the one that located MM's phone through an app on his phone.

Randolph works at the firm, wonder if he knew MM asked an for audit?

It was a paper copy of the magazine. My mother in law had it, and I read it. I do not have the magazine in my possession, though. I bet someone on Web sleuths has a copy and knows the issue.

From PEOPLE magazine (Aug. 16 issue)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-150045_kindlephoto-299732772.png
    Screenshot_20210908-150045_kindlephoto-299732772.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 137
Randolph works at the firm, wonder if he knew MM asked an for audit?
She could ask for and arrange an audit of their personal finances, but not of the firm. But if the firm, other partners, got word that there were concerns about AM's financial situation and potential improprieties, they could have on their own decided to start doing some checking.

I believe the original statement as to his whereabouts were along the lines of “been out shooting that evening. “. I’ve been following since day 1 and no one ever brings this up!

Thank you. I remember it too. The story about him being at the hospital surfaced early, but there was at one point two stories, and I do believe it was because AM himself said something like that...to someone.

Hired lawyer.

Thought so. Thank you. I hope that hired lawyer isn't later accused of receiving stolen...money.

Most funds are held in a Trust account. There is a lot more to this story. IMO

I worked in a law firm where millions were ‘misappropriated’. It is quite easy if you have a few willing accomplices in the finance department who earn huge bonuses. Disclaimer : I was not involved in the deception. A few executives did end up in jail. A few more sadly were the fall guys.

I worked in a law firm where millions were ‘misappropriated’. It is quite easy if you have a few willing accomplices in the finance department who earn huge bonuses. Disclaimer : I was not involved in the deception. A few executives did end up in jail. A few more sadly were the fall guys.
Where did those millions come from? Money in a lawyers trust account is typically not held there for long. And trust account checks are usually scrutinized. The cases I have seen where lawyer trust accounts were invaded were typically cases of a small firm or sole proprietor, someone desperate, addiction, or gambling debt or something like that. There is a lot of money sitting in an account, its tempting and desperate people make bad decisions. Accomplices in the bookkeeping area of a large firm would be insane to go along, for the sole reason that they know full well that it is just a matter of time before it is discovered. I am still wondering if this isn't a case of the AM diverting client fees to his own pocket directly rather than to the firm first. But this is all just speculation right now of course.

I think this a good and, as you stated telling observation.

From the article, this is the provision of law that led to the suspension of his license:

Upon receipt of sufficient evidence demonstrating that a lawyer poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice, the Supreme Court may place the lawyer on interim suspension...

As you stated, it is clear that the clan is no longer getting friendly reviews with pre determined out comes. AM maybe a substantial threat to bank accounts of the firm.

But, it seems to be a stretch to hold (based on available information) that he is a "substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice" give that it appears he embezzled company money, not client money and has not even been indicted yet.

Then again, maybe the rehab check in and the theft accusations tilted the balance? Even still, the very unfriendly review seems a little uhmm..... "focused".
Don't forget there's also an ongoing criminal investigation into corrupt activities involving the boat accident investigation. AM and his father were front and center that night. Time will tell if winds up being name involved with all that.

When marriages are in trouble it's not unheard of for one party to move money to an unknown account. Perhaps there were suspicions of this, leading to an accounting. But that doesn't explain the alleged law firm theft. JMO.

I think it's possible that the financial audit of one partner or lawyer in a firm could lead to a broader audit (if the amount shown as going into the accounts of the one under audit didn't add up to what was reported on the firm's tax forms).

Where did those millions come from? Money in a lawyers trust account is typically not held there for long. And trust account checks are usually scrutinized. The cases I have seen where lawyer trust accounts were invaded were typically cases of a small firm or sole proprietor, someone desperate, addiction, or gambling debt or something like that. There is a lot of money sitting in an account, its tempting and desperate people make bad decisions. Accomplices in the bookkeeping area of a large firm would be insane to go along, for the sole reason that they know full well that it is just a matter of time before it is discovered. I am still wondering if this isn't a case of the AM diverting client fees to his own pocket directly rather than to the firm first. But this is all just speculation right now of course.

I was just thinking the same thing, but couldn't quite figure out how to put it into words.

So, AM would be (hypothetically) accepting large sums from clients, but without making the firm aware? He somehow deposits the fees directly into his own account and is therefore sort of seeing people on the side?

I used to do bookkeeping for a law firm, 40 years ago and the subject intrigues me. Our senior partner was very hands on. As in, wanted all kinds of daily statements of transactions...

The firm was a Med malpractice firm. They were unique in that they had their own law firm. It was shut down by the state Insurance dept. The firm even went as far a to successfully bribe (I forget the name) an organization which rates insurance companies on their financial stability. They got a low rating changed to an A.

I do not know if the funds came from the premium the settlements or both. The firm was great until an ambitious finance guy joined.

"I was shocked, just as the rest of my PMPED family, to learn of my brother, Alex’s, drug addiction and stealing of money. I love my law firm family and also love Alex as my brother. While I will support him in his recovery, I do not support, condone, or excuse his conduct in stealing by manipulating his most trusted relationships. I will continue to pursue my client’s interests with the highest degree of honesty and integrity, as I always have."

Randolph Murdaugh issues statement on events involving Alex Murdaugh
And Buster works for this law firm. He finished law school but still needs to pass the bar exam. I hope he is being supported. He has lost so much.

Thanks for the disclaimer as I was starting to wonder how you were posting from “in there”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member