SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I was shocked, just as the rest of my PMPED family, to learn of my brother, Alex’s, drug addiction and stealing of money. I love my law firm family and also love Alex as my brother. While I will support him in his recovery, I do not support, condone, or excuse his conduct in stealing by manipulating his most trusted relationships. I will continue to pursue my client’s interests with the highest degree of honesty and integrity, as I always have."

Randolph Murdaugh issues statement on events involving Alex Murdaugh
I'm still wondering why some of the PMPED family of lawyers chose to go to the "crime scene" to speak with SLED officials investigating AM's drive-by shooting incident?

The only way that makes any sense to me is if they thought the shooting was an attempted suicide. Is there another reason I'm not considering?

And I am shocked, just shocked that no one in that law firm had any idea millions were being skimmed off, whether from diverted legal fees, client trust accounts, wherever.

IMO saying it was only from legal fees makes it an 'in house' theft, money only stolen from the other firm lawyers, but if it were client accounts that got robbed, it makes it much, much worse. I think we'll be finding out soonly just how much worse it was than initial statements from 'the firm'. Obviously SCSC thinks it looks mighty bad.

Moooo
Especially since it seems it was the firm lawyer's monies that were taken!

She could ask for and arrange an audit of their personal finances, but not of the firm. But if the firm, other partners, got word that there were concerns about AM's financial situation and potential improprieties, they could have on their own decided to start doing some checking.

That makes sense. For MM to get a forensic audit of their income streams (their own accounts) may have led to some phone calls between those forensic accountants and the law firm. Just a couple of polite inquiries. Something was probably really off in terms of the source of his deposits into his own accounts.

I'm still wondering why some of the PMPED family of lawyers chose to go to the "crime scene" to speak with SLED officials investigating AM's drive-by shooting incident?

The only way that makes any sense to me is if they thought the shooting was an attempted suicide. Is there another reason I'm not considering?

I dint give that much concern but wondered how they knew they would be welcome. With this being a coworker and in some cases family, I can see them being genuinely worried about him.

If I heard one of my colleagues was just shot, I’d imagine going there either out of concern…or just sheer curiosity.

Client trust accounts are very different from firm operating accounts. Trust accounts have strict rules. If a partner or employee was taking money from a trust account, and the firm or another partner learned of this, I can't imagine they wouldn't immediately take action. That can bring down an entire firm quickly. But I am sure there are lots of clients contacting the firm today to check on their funds.
As for the suspension, this would have almost certainly been initiated by the Bar Association bar counsel and brought to the Sup Ct. Emergency suspensions are not common , but not really uncommon either. I believe AM consented to the suspension so that makes it simple. I am guessing there is a long complicated story here.
I wonder if off-shore accounts will factor into it?

I am still wondering if this isn't a case of the AM diverting client fees to his own pocket directly rather than to the firm first. But this is all just speculation right now of course.
As the firms business was evidently entirely "sue'em", I dont think there would be client fees. In the end, I am thinking of the following accounts:

- Money due other firm attorneys for handling the lawsuit.
- Money due clients.
-Money from firm operating expenses.
- Money due doctors, chiropractors, etc. who do the lawsuit friendly medical evaluations.

My general understanding is that sue'em firms use a preferred doctor or chiropractor in most cases. These people are often reluctant to bill insurance companies lest their uhmmm "methodology" be questioned. Rather, they are paid in cash from the clients portion after a collection.

Of the possibilities above, I am thinking that money due the doctors and chiropractors would be the most attractive.

As you and Oviedo stated, money due clients brings fast and furious bar action. The other attorneys in the firm would know what settlement was reached, if and when it would be paid, and when their check is due to arrive.

But.... the "go to" docs and chiros would not have first hand knowledge of settlements and the chances of actual payment. Maybe not take all their expected fees. But.... skim from the top?

Last edited:
I wonder if off-shore accounts will factor into it?
Is that still a thing like in the 80? I figured the govt would crack down on it after the Ivan Boesky shin dig.

I am thinking that chances of government pursuit of possible off shore accounts depends on the scale and who the victims were.

In short, Uncle Sam would probably prioritize finding and seizing Bernie Madoff's over seas accounts given the amount stolen and that it cost thousands their retirement savings.

In the hypothetical case of an attorney stealing 1 million in profits from other attorneys, from his personal injury clients from "go to" docs etc. , I think Uncle Sam would uhmmm..... assign a different priority- cough, cough to the effort.

Last edited:
Are any of my fellow Websleuthers curious about When/how Maggie’s phone got to the side of the road where it was found? Do you think it was thrown there before her demise or afterward? By her or a perpetrator?

Are any of my fellow Websleuthers curious about When/how Maggie’s phone got to the side of the road where it was found? Do you think it was thrown there before her demise or afterward? By her or a perpetrator?

Yet another mystery. I’ve thought that the murderer somehow got it and tossed it for fear of tracking.

Especially since it seems it was the firm lawyer's monies that were taken!

I'm wondering - when he's released from rehab if he'll have a sweetheart deal to plead guilty to waiting for him (very little jail time, restitution for the monies stolen, etc.,), or will they throw him to the wolves, draw it out with a long investigation and throw every book they can at him.

I'm wondering - when he's released from rehab if he'll have a sweetheart deal to plead guilty to waiting for him (very little jail time, restitution for the monies stolen, etc.,), or will they throw him to the wolves, draw it out with a long investigation and throw every book they can at him.
To my ears it sounds like his brother RM is ready to start throwing if necessary. AJMO

I did think about this, but I read a post here several threads back that I believe figured it out.
@Watts Bar had the idea that Maggie’s phone was used as a signal of sorts. Using an app like Life 360, Alex would have been able to check her phone’s location without any kind of notification. So, once her phone left Moselle, it signaled to him the job was done and he could come home.
IMO this is brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members