SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“As Chief of SLED, I continue to urge the public to be patient and let this investigation take its course. Investigative decisions we make throughout this case and any potentially related case must ultimately withstand the scrutiny of the criminal justice process. As with all cases, SLED is committed to conducting a professional, thorough, and impartial criminal investigation, no matter where the facts lead us.”

SLED investigating Alex Murdaugh for misappropriating funds | WCBD News 2

Murdaugh Murders Saga: SLED Launches Investigation Into Law Firm Embezzlement Allegations

The South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) has officially launched a criminal investigation into embezzlement allegations leveled against prominent Palmetto State attorney R. Alexander “Alex” Murdaugh – the man at the center of the mushrooming ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga.

SLED made the announcement shortly after 5:10 p.m. EDT on Monday afternoon (September 13, 2021).

“SLED has opened an investigation into Alex Murdaugh based upon allegations that he misappropriated funds in connection to his position as a former lawyer with the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick (PMPED) law firm in Hampton, South Carolina,” the once sentence news release (.pdf) noted.

Since the most recent story was published, this news outlet’s tip lines have been overflowing with additional information related to this saga …

Of interest? SLED’s news release did not specify whether PMPED requested the information. Typically, the agency references the entity which asked it to investigate an allegation of criminal conduct.

This omission speaks volumes. As I reported yesterday, it does not appear as though PMPED has asked SLED – which has extensive experience investigating complex financial crimes – to probe the uncorroborated allegation that Murdaugh made off with as much as $10 million from the firm.

For those of you keeping score at home, SLED’s embezzlement probe is the fifth ongoing criminal investigation tied to Alex Murdaugh and his family.

, ,...but the simple answer is that he and/or his family spent more money than he earned.... It could be as simple has supporting the expensive lifestyles of four adults on one income.

Occam’s razor—whenever S.C. changed the law that allowed civil suits to be brought in any county, the money started drying up for PMPED.

This would affect all the partners, yet as far as we can tell the expensive lifestyles continued. This raises many questions. Like how did Grandpa’s death affect firm, did the will contain less money than assumed? Was Alex the only Murdaugh availing himself of the firm credit car?

Wonder when the law changed?

Occam’s razor—whenever S.C. changed the law that allowed civil suits to be brought in any county, the money started drying up for PMPED.

This would affect all the partners, yet as far as we can tell the expensive lifestyles continued. This raises many questions. Like how did Grandpa’s death affect firm, did the will contain less money than assumed? Was Alex the only Murdaugh availing himself of the firm credit car?

Wonder when the law changed?
I have wondered if Alex had access to his parents money too, someone had to be helping them with that if they were that ill.

I agree, and I'm battling with the context. He says it after the dispatcher basically accepts his word that MM is dead. We know know she's just a little distance away.

Then the dispatcher asks if he's sure his son is dead, is he breathing? All paraphrasing.

That's what bothers me. In that context I think AM has accepted MM's death and possibly had expected it. PM's death, on the other hand, was unexpected by him and he's admonishing him.

That's what I'm computing, in the context of what was happening at that time in the call. It's extremely upsetting to me.

From what we can hear, his grief seems to be focused primarily on PM and it does sound genuine.

It’s difficult to listen to this call.

jmo

Well I decided to go ahead and look up the legal liability of the party hosts and liquor store clerk. It's kind of complicated because there is no explicit law regarding it but the South Carolina Supreme Court did establish a legal precedent regarding civil liability in 2008.

SC Judicial Department

What it works out to is that in a case where a third party is injured by an underage adult, a social host is 20% liable for damages if they knowingly served such a person. It seems that the court affirms a social host has no obligation to stop an intoxicated person from driving. The clerk who sold the alcohol could bear both criminal and civil responsibility if he was aware he was selling to someone underage which is probably why the use of Buster's ID was established (it was probably scanned and electronically associated with the purchase).

Now its quite possible that all the details we know about these specifics were orchestrated from the beginning by people who were well aware of the letter of the law but the facts as we know them seem to absolve anyone but the boat operator of any technical liability.
I looked it up for my state. Here if you serve alcohol to anyone who appears intoxicated and they leave your establishment and cause injury to themselves or others, you can suffer a criminal charge and be held civilly liable. I am told it is the bartender and waitress's call whether to cut them off. Pretty common here I'm told (I don't drink alcohol) for the bartender or waitress to make that call. I am also told all club, bar ect employees are required to take classes to recognize someone who are a little too in their cups.

JMO

Lucky you! CT has annual car taxes, seperate bills comes right along with the property tax.
Yeah. Lucky CA. Oklahoma makes you buy a new sticker for your tag every year. Cost anywhere from 29.50 to 95.00. That's unless you buy a new or used car in which you pay excise tax along with the tag. Depending on blue book of the vehicle that can be anywhere from 300.00 to over 3000.00. Even if you sell or give the car to a family member they have to pay excise tax and buy a new tag. But tribal tags are much cheaper and the majority of tags in OK are from a tribe. Oklahoma tags look like a rainbow with all the different colors from Ok and tribal tags.

JMO

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article254217128.html

The State Law Enforcement Division has opened an investigation into money a Hampton County law firm has charged that former partner Alex Murdaugh “misappropriated.”

The announcement was made late Monday by SLED Chief Mark Keel.

The firm Murdaugh was with before he resigned is called Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth, & Detrick (PMPED) law firm.

A source close to the case said the amount of missing money may be around $5 million.

June 7th - PM and MM shot at Moselle

June 9th - PM and MM funeral

June 10th - Hearing for MB civil suit including disclosure of finances by AM & BM scheduled, but did not happen.

June 10th - RM dies

Not to mention SS's (young man) death, GS's (maid) death, MB's (boating accident) death, and AM's 'shooting'.

Throw in AM's resignation from his family's law firm, his alleged misappropriation of millions, and now his stint in rehab.

How could this possibly get any crazier?? :confused::eek:

ETA: Changed to 'misappropriation' vs embezzled. ;)

Last edited:
I have wondered if Alex had access to his parents money too, someone had to be helping them with that if they were that ill.
Interesting point. Considering AM's mother has Alzheimers and RM being on palliative care, somebody would have to have been POA surely? Who else could make financial or medical decisions for either of them?

MOO

So in SC if you have video of an establishment serving alcohol to an underaged person and they then, by their inebriated negligence, leave that establishment and cause a wrongful death, that establishment is not considered culpable at all?
Here they would "hang em high" to quote Clint Eastwood. OK is a bit different from other states. Here we arm 18 year old's but it can be a felony to serve anyone under 21 alcohol, I am told. If that person has an accident in which someone dies after you gave them alcohol then it would be a death in commission of a felony which nets you a murder 1 charge. Under the lenient medical MJ law they cannot sell to anyone under 21, but it says nothing about them being liable if they sell to an underage and that kid has an accident that results in a death.

Used to be in TX you could take your kids in a bar or ice house as they used to be called. Don't know about now since it's been 40 years since my son was a kid.

JMO

“As Chief of SLED, I continue to urge the public to be patient and let this investigation take its course. Investigative decisions we make throughout this case and any potentially related case must ultimately withstand the scrutiny of the criminal justice process. As with all cases, SLED is committed to conducting a professional, thorough, and impartial criminal investigation, no matter where the facts lead us.”

SLED investigating Alex Murdaugh for misappropriating funds | WCBD News 2

Oh boy, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of things in a timely, honest and transparent fashion! Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

I didn't read that! Unbelievable.
Family of teen killed in Lowcountry boating incident files wrongful death lawsuit

Kristy Wood is the principal of Brunson Elementary School in the Hampton County School District One, just north of the town of Hampton. The district’s superintendent, Ronald Wilcox, had this to say about the lawsuit:

“This was a tragic incident for our community, for which we are all sorry. We had been made aware by the principal that she was named as a defendant in an upcoming lawsuit. As the matter does not involve the school district per se, and there is some pending litigation, we cannot make comment.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member