SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Timeline of Events:
https://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html

10 a.m.: Colleton County Sheriff’s Office releases the initial police report from the double homicide. It’s one sentence long and refers to a supplemental report that the department has declined to provide. Under South Carolina law, initial police reports must be made publicly available within 14 days of the incident, but supplemental reports do not. The Sheriff’s Office has also declined to release 911 recordings from the night of the shooting.

(Image of the one liner in the article) I would guess since everything is in a supplemental report it would be to protect the integrity of the investigion.

A Timeline of Events:
https://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html

10 a.m.: Colleton County Sheriff’s Office releases the initial police report from the double homicide. It’s one sentence long and refers to a supplemental report that the department has declined to provide. Under South Carolina law, initial police reports must be made publicly available within 14 days of the incident, but supplemental reports do not. The Sheriff’s Office has also declined to release 911 recordings from the night of the shooting.

(Image of the one liner in the article) I would guess since everything is in a supplemental report it would be to protect the integrity of the investigion.
I was investigating a SC criminal case a couple years ago and an attorney advised me of my right to the arrest report/ affidavit. So I submitted my request to the county clerk. I got a useless one liner like this and my name published as part of the case file. This is why I am reticent to set up online accounts to access public records.

Night shooting? I can’t imagine what Alex Sr. was shooting at 10pm. Certainly not birds or deer. Maybe feral hogs? I am not a hunter but know many who are in this part of the country. AFAIK, solo night shooting is just not something one would expect a lawyer/gentleman farmer to do. I had not been suspicious of him, but this part of the story doesn’t ring true to me.

Ahh - but it certainly explains all that gun shot residue on him. How convenient!

No vigil, no memorials: An unsettled SC town reacts quietly to Murdaugh shootings

Snip snip snip to 10%..the local news

“..as word spread of the deaths of 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh and his mother, Maggie, reaction was muted.
The prevailing emotion was hesitancy, not surprise or outrage.”

“A previous death, and the circumstances around it, has caused residents to re-evaluate their faith in the law.”

“It raised tough questions about power, fairness and accountability.”

“Staff at the flower shops in town said they hadn’t yet received any calls for sympathy arrangements for the family.”

“One person did offer that they hoped an outside law enforcement agency would be involved in the investigation.”

“A third seemed to capture the town’s pain best.
Would catching the person who killed the Murdaughs mean justice for them?”

“What about justice for Beach?”

Last edited by a moderator:
What's happened since the Murdaugh double homicide in SC? A timeline of what we know

Monday, June 7

Between 9 and 9:30 p.m.: Paul Murdaugh and his mother Maggie die from gunshot wounds on their property, the "Moselle" hunting lodge, in Colleton County, according to the county coroner.

Legal sources say Alex Murdaugh, Paul's father and Maggie's husband, discovered the bodies. He told authorities he was not home at the time of the shootings.

Hampton County coroner confirms Randolph Murdaugh III, the former state solicitor and patriarch of the prominent Murdaugh family, dies days after the double homicide. Sources say he was ill at the time of his death.

Son from powerful family 'was target of shooting at family's hunting lodge that also killed his mom' | Daily Mail Online

The Murdaugh family's power has helped them accrue vast amounts of wealth in the county, including owning more than 1,700 acres of land including the hunting lodge where the double murders took place.

They have been struck by other tragedy in the past with Randolph killed when a freight train hit his car.

----------------

Who is Randolph? Sure is a whole lot of death surrounding this family. Waiting to hear more like the rest of you. <modsnip>

Son from powerful family 'was target of shooting at family's hunting lodge that also killed his mom' | Daily Mail Online

The Murdaugh family's power has helped them accrue vast amounts of wealth in the county, including owning more than 1,700 acres of land including the hunting lodge where the double murders took place.

They have been struck by other tragedy in the past with Randolph killed when a freight train hit his car.

----------------

Who is Randolph? Sure is a whole lot of death surrounding this family. Waiting to hear more like the rest of you. I can't get enough of this wild ride.

"Randolph Murdaugh III, the former state solicitor and patriarch of the prominent Murdaugh family, passed away Thursday just three days after his grandson and daughter in law were found shot to death, Hampton County Coroner Angie Topper confirmed to The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette....

His father, Randolph “Buster” Murdaugh Jr., held the same position for 48 years. His grandfather, Randolph Murdaugh Sr., was solicitor for 20 years until his death in a car-train collision in 1940."

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252036908.html

Two victims, near each other, killed with two different weapons.

I am having a hard time imagining this scenario with just one shooter. The victims were not restrained to our knowledge. In the moments after the first killing, as this shooter decided (for whatever reason) to change guns, certainly the other victim could have fled…at least some distance… from the first scene of the crime.

On another topic, I find the details of the way the boating death case against Paul was handled…disturbing. Was there a general feeling, correct or not, among some in the local community that this family…who had prosecuted so many for decades…using the letter of the law…would not be held to their own standard? If so, that would really widen the suspect field.

Another thought…although this was private property…I wonder if two people dressed as hunters walked out of the woods…if the victims would have necessarily been alarmed. Would they have confronted them for hunting on private property?

Or could approaching as hunters…been a convenient way for killers, intent on murder, to get close to the victims without them sensing personal danger?

<modsnip>

where on earth then did the story of AM out shooting at 10 pm come from? Why even were mom & son at the hunting property at 9/9:30 at night?

Just MOO speculation- maybe there was a reason for the family to be assembling there around 9/10pm? EG (from my imagination) a bunch of cranky raccoons were bothering the family dog & they wanted to shoot them so they were meeting there to get their guns? Son is out preparing, mom either participating or just hanging out, & when dad shows up for the plan he finds his family murdered. ??? Just a creative writing exercise here I admit, trying to imagine why mom, son & dad all could’ve appeared on this piece of land that night.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference bet the guns used on son PM & on mom MM? One a “shotgun” the other a “rifle” - are either of these EG more accurate from close range / long range? more difficult to aim or fire? Either of them more commonly used in homicide for some reason & the other more commonly used for hunting? Etc

Yes. Article says this about weapons: "[Paul] was shot in the head and upper body with a shotgun, while Margaret was shot with an assault rifle, they said. " Possible there was one killer who used two weapons. Did the person use all the shotgun ammo on Paul and then use the assault rifle?
I'm hesitant to take DailyMail's reporting as accurate.

Was Paul shot twice or did one bullet inflict injuries in two places, his chest and head?

My first hunch in this case is murder-suicide, but that doesn't work if Paul was shot twice. (I would imagine the mother as a victim in murder-suicide, not the perp.)

Is there definitive info about the number of shots fired/injuries?

jmo

The details of how PM’s role in Mallory Beach’s death was handled certainly are disturbing. And now this double murder happens, there’s no real info but random leaks that’re withdrawn … “no threat to public” but now it’s not even clear if the guns used were recovered …?

If all I’d heard was the basic details of victims / diff weapons / discovery, I’d speculate that maybe the son had attacked his mother & another shooter, maybe dad, had intervened but too late. With what little else we’ve heard here, that doesn’t nec sound as likely …. but this general story stripped down to its bare essentials would start there for me JMO

FWIW The Island Packet reported Paul was shot at least twice.
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252022183.html

“Investigators are pursuing the possibility that Paul Murdaugh, 22, who sources say was shot at least twice with a shotgun, was the one targeted. His mother, Maggie Murdaugh, 52, was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle, the sources said.”

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252022183.html#storylink=cpy

News and Observer says:
4:40 p.m.: Sources familiar with the investigation confirm that one avenue investigators are pursuing is the likelihood that Paul Murdaugh was targeted, while his mother was killed because she was there by happenstance. Paul was shot in the head and upper body with a shotgun, while Maggie Murdaugh was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle, the sources say.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html#storylink=cpy

FWIW The Island Packet reported Paul was shot at least twice.
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252022183.html

“Investigators are pursuing the possibility that Paul Murdaugh, 22, who sources say was shot at least twice with a shotgun, was the one targeted. His mother, Maggie Murdaugh, 52, was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle, the sources said.”

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252022183.html#storylink=cpy

News and Observer says:
4:40 p.m.: Sources familiar with the investigation confirm that one avenue investigators are pursuing is the likelihood that Paul Murdaugh was targeted, while his mother was killed because she was there by happenstance. Paul was shot in the head and upper body with a shotgun, while Maggie Murdaugh was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle, the sources say.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you for the info. Now that I know Paul was shot twice, I'm ruling out murder-suicide.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member