SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A side note regarding Maggie's will having her sister's name crossed out and Murdaugh Srs name wrote in not being notarized. In S.C. a notary can notarize family member's signature as long as they do not benefit financially from the document they are notarizing. Ex. my daughter is a notary and was able to notarize the papers to refiance our house. (Papers were mailed to us) I find it interesting with as many connections as Alex had with individuals one would assume were notaries (attorneys, paralegals and bank employees) that the changing of the will was not notarized.

Jury dismissed until tomorrow 11:30
Poor Jury, they are probably excited about being dismissed early and the breaks today, little do they know that this trial could be longer than they first thought. I've been on a Jury, your time really is at the mercy of the court. I served on our county Grand Jury for a year.

I think they got data off of Alex's phone, but gave him the phone back because he had so much client info on it?
They likely gave it back because he was Alex Murdaugh. There already needed to be a taint team review of the contents of the download because he's an attorney. That's just automatic. But all along they treated AM with great deference.

They likely gave it back because he was Alex Murdaugh. There already needed to be a taint team review of the contents of the download because he's an attorney. That's just automatic. But all along they treated AM with great deference.
Yes, and it makes me sick to think about it. It really irks me when someone on the stand calls him Mr. Alec.

I personally do believe that he was buying sympathy time to come up with a way to get the money to placate the firm. JMO.
I think that night, when AM said the motive for the shooting was the deadly boat crash, he was subconsciously uttering the truth. IMO the motive was to prevent paying anything to the boat crash victims by whatever means necessary. His focus had been and was that night protecting the Murdaugh assets. IMO up until the time he was confronted by his CFO, he was still under the impression he still had time and the means to finagle accounts to protect those assets. The confrontation placed him on notice that there was going to be more misdeeds and misappropriation to deal with. IMO, he had a plan all along in the event things went too far. IMO it was never about sympathy or wanting to repay anyone for anything; it was all about keeping what he had.
jmo

I served on a murder trial in my home state of Louisiana several years ago. The first thing the judge told us "This is not TV. You cannot take notes." I was disappointed. I'm a note-taker :)
Yeah, I would definitely have a hard time with that. And I'm a lawyer and understand the reason for it.Here in MA juror notes were prohibited until recently. The rationale makes sense and I guess too many jurors may try to write too much down which affects their concentration.

Judges are also concerned that jurors may rely heavily on their notes when deliberating a case. In all criminal jury trials a juror’s notes is not an official transcript and judges are concerned with jurors trying to use their notes to persuade other jurors. Jurors should rely on their own memory of the case to make a determination. In trying to prevent jurors from relying on their notes too much, the judge will usually ask the jurors to keep their notes private. At the end of a trial, the notes are collected by the court officer and destroyed.

IMO, most concerns can be adequately remedied by instructions to limit note taking and reminding them of their role as jurors to carefully listen to and utilize the evidence/testimony to reach a decision. Anyway, this has long been a subject of varying opinions and changing rules. But I would be lost without my notes & lists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spudxii