SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he’s made a deal with the state.

That would be something. The defense would know that ahead of time no? Might be why <MOD NOTE - derogatory name changes are not allowed> is salivating to cross examine him.

I still think it was a catastrophic day for the prosecution and SLED.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what we see every time. It means very little that the defense "seemed" to get the upper hand with Owen. What is crucial is again the defense opened the door to direct information.

This time it is the roadside shooting testimony by... questioning the witness as to the relationship between AM and Eddie Smith, payment of money to buy drugs, indebtedness, etc......

ETA LOL at “ smite “. Darned autocorrect

That darn autocorrect gets us all in trouble all the time!

I agree, think defense did this on purpose…they want Cousin Eddie up there...to try to blame the murders on him, along with other things imo.

I don’t think the prosecution will call him though…just too much of a gamble.

I think all and all it was a good day for the prosecution. They connected a few dots and highlighted some large discrepancies in AM’s story and witnesses’.
Again though, some Important things are lost in the lousy presentation.

I think AMs own words and actions are tightening the buckle on him. His business manner at the scene, lack of fear, evasive answers, and the clothes/videos are doing him in. I forget which interview but the question about him on that video is like a big right hook as it caught him off balance.

That darn autocorrect gets us all in trouble all the time!

I agree, think defense did this on purpose…they want Cousin Eddie up there...to try to blame the murders on him, along with other things imo.

I don’t think the prosecution will call him though…just too much of a gamble.
Perhaps the state can call Buster or AM's brothers to support AM's version of this charade to get it on the record, and LE can testify to the truth and the confession by AM (i.e., for hire shooting). MOO

ETA: I'm not a fan of bringing Eddie in to testify because of how confusing the state's delivery of evidence has been for the jurors! DH could very well eviscerate Eddie on cross, and leave the jurors with reasonable doubt after DH fingers Eddie for the murders.

Last edited:
AM is one slippery character but he’s not dumb. I can imagine that he knew he’d be Suspect Number One…from those first hours. He does hand everything over quote willingly…his phone,etc.

We also know that AM is a stellar liar…for most of his life, an incredibly successful one. He has lied and hidden all sorts of criminality…from family, friends, law partners, clients.

I am no longer sure that AM‘s Big Lie is evidence of guilt. It could just be that he knows he will be a suspect, so hes protecting himself by using his most reliable skill-set…lying.
He reminds me of another person on trial who told lie upon lie upon lie when her child was missing. How does him lying assist the investigation in the hunt for his wife and son's killer? I think my need to find the killer or killers would be my priority over admitting an incriminating-looking scenario. The lies divert important resources and create confusion in the investigation. There is no good reason for him to lie. None. He chose to lie about the window of time when the murder took place. At the point at which he was being interviewed, he did not have any reason to know when the murder window was other than much more broadly- between 8-ish to when he returned after 10-ish. So hypothetically, if he lied to police because he did not want to look guilty, he had a gift for esp, or he was likely the murderer. He happened to lie about the most incriminating stretch of time before he knew when that was, officially.

Last edited:
I think AMs own words and actions are tightening the buckle on him. His business manner at the scene, lack of fear, evasive answers, and the clothes/videos are doing him in. I forget which interview but the question about him on that video is like a big right hook as it caught him off balance.
Just too many evasive maneuvers and most truly innocent folks ain't so dodgy and shifty.

2/15/23

Judge Clifton Newman says this shooting is not evidence of motive, but more toward common scheme or plan. It does not survive the logical relevancy test and it goes more towards showing a pretense to commit violent acts.

"I believe to allow this evidence is a bridge too far," Newman says.
Newman says the court needs to have guardrails and can't include everything.

He agrees with the defense that it would be admissible perhaps in a trial about the financial crimes.

Newman makes a point to say this roadside shooting evidence will NOT be admissible at this time, but anything could change further down the line.

The court laughs when the decision is made and the jury isn't expected back for another half hour.

Court will recess for 15 minutes to allow the State to prepare for their first witness of the day.

UPDATE- At the very end of the day, Judge Newman reverses this decision.

*With jury dismissed, Judge Newman announces he's reversing his decision from this morning about the roadside shooting evidence and testimony, and allowing it all to come into the trial in the interest of fairness, noting that the defense opened the door to all of it through its questioning of David Owen about Eddie Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell