SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The defense calls its first witness, Colleton County Coroner Richard Harvey.
He has been the coroner here for 30 years.

Harvey says he was notified 10:30 p.m. He arrived on scene at 11:04 p.m. He took photographs, including inside the feed room. He did that before SLED’s crime scene unit arrived, he said.

Harvey estimated Paul and Maggie’s time of death as 9 p.m. Harpootlian: How did you come to that? Harven: First thing I did, “I simply put my hands in their armpits to determine how warm they are.”

Harvey: “That was all I did initially because I knew SLED was coming.” He figured they had been dead between one to three hours.

Harvey: I normally carry a thermometer to take more exact measurements. But I didn’t do it that night. Harpootlian establishes that by Harvey’s estimation, the time of death could have been as early as 8 p.m. or as late as 10. 9 p.m. was a rough estimate.

It’s pretty clear why the state didn’t call Harvey as a witness. Veteran deputy assistant attorney general Don Zelenka is now cross-examining Harvey. Zelenka's first time speaking in this trial.

Harvey says thermometers aren’t necessarily accurate either, giving you different readings at different parts of the body. It had been raining.

Harpootlian wants to enter a
@postandcourier
article into evidence with that quote. This is part of the defense’s effort to show investigators viewed Murdaugh as their one and only suspect on the day after the slayings.

Prosecutors object to the entire 6/8/21
@postandcourier
article going into evidence. But they allow two paragraphs.

Both SLED and CCSO witnesses earlier in this trial claimed they had nothing to do with that quote getting released. It's the hot potato no one wants to own.

Tindal is catching the hot potato here, but she’s taking SLED down with her. Tindal: SLED and I discussed this over the phone and via email. But it did come from my email.

Tindal: SLED signed off on the statement, from what I understood, according to SLED’s spokesman at the time, Tommy Crosby. (He is no longer with SLED).

Tindal: When we put out an updated news release, a draft version of the document had the “no danger to the public” line. But SLED took that line out, though they never corrected the original statement.

Harpootlian: SLED took the line out of the updated release. But “did they say there is a danger to the public? They never said that, did they?” Tindal: “No, sir.”

On cross-examination from prosecutor John Meadors, Tindal says SLED and the sheriff's office issued a formal, letterhead statement without the "no danger to the public" line a few hours after an emailed statement to
@postandcourier
with the line included. Both 6/8/21.

Tindal is done. Harpootlian: The defense’s next witness is “extraordinarily lengthy.” He doesn’t want to start at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday knowing he can’t finish. The jury is excused.

We're calling it a day. So ends the fourth week of this three-week trial. We will be back at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday. (Monday is a holiday).
Bar's Open! er um well it has been.

Is the defense pushing for a verdict now? Prior to presenting a defense? Prior to closing arguments? Rather instead of --

Are they thinking the jurors will rule fast so they can enjoy their three-day weekend? Rude.

Am I misunderstanding?

jmo

Adding after fat-finger googling 'directed verdict' I don't think I understand it. :/
They want the Judge to Rule, which is insane, as the Jury has had to sit through this for so long, And this Is a Jury Trial! Grabbing at straws big time, and thankfully the Judge slapped that idea down in a very professional way.

I saw his hands shaking the very first day. They were shaking badly. I wondered when someone would post about it. I must have missed an earlier one. He is a sad trip, and yet, some tv lawyers rave about his expertise.
I’ve never seen DH before, and I believe I am a few years older than him, but compared to him I act like a 40 year old. Besides having a big ego, and perhaps being an excellent attorney at one time, he appears to be past his prime (to be polite). IMHO …

They want the Judge to Rule, which is insane, as the Jury has had to sit through this for so long, And this Is a Jury Trial! Grabbing at straws big time, and thankfully the Judge slapped that idea down in a very professional way.
It's though the defense learned their desperate moves from AM.

I can't believe they don't understand that they took out the info re no danger to public. Ugh.

I think just redacting it without any clarification is worse than stating it. I’d be sore if the locals just left citizens hanging like that. The way that the witness avoided repeating the statement shows how that moment is seen now.

Think the prosecution finished strong. They had a great day! Defense came off as tired and cranky. I was not impressed with their cross on Rudoski. They could not wait to get out of there today and limped into the 3 day weekend. Jury has a lot to think about for 3 days.

I saw his hands shaking the very first day. They were shaking badly. I wondered when someone would post about it. I must have missed an earlier one. He is a sad trip, and yet, some tv lawyers rave about his expertise.
In his early career he did some good things and was a great trial attorney with a sharp mind. I believe he got his hands dirty along the way up the political ladder, and now his age is working against him. I think he might have health related issues.

Just my speculation.

Interesting reading. Depressing though. There’s been several cases that I’ve read about on the news that I haven’t looked for on WS. Like a couple of men who killed their wives and children and then themselves. Or the doctor out in CA who drove his wife and children off the cliff and they miraculously survived. The wife said he intended to kill them all. He said it was an accident. I believe it’s still under investigation. I don’t read them all because it’s such a waste of life. I wonder if it’s depression or just selfishness.
Narcissism and Drugs do not mix well. Money can provide easy access to so much, and in many situations, including schools, where rich kids get the best drugs. Sad statement on society overall in my view. I feel that in the years since I was young, too many refuse to take any personal responsibility for negative actions they perform. AM's family is a perfect example of this, But not just a character flaw of the rich alone certainly.

Do people who are planning a murder really not think through the phone evidence?

This has to be so basic by now.

Yet in so many cases it is the kryptonite

Especially don’t create a dead zone on your own phone for the murder time.

Why would the state ask for a directed verdict?
See definition of directed verdict.

A directed verdict occurs in a jury trial when the presiding judge orders the jury to return a specific verdict. This typically takes place when the judge learns that no reasonable jury could reach any other decision. After the directed verdict is ordered, the jury no longer has to decide the case, and is dismissed. A directed verdict may be ordered only for specific issues in the case, or it may pertain to the entire case. To explore this concept, consider the following directed verdict definition.

Definition of Directed Verdict​

Noun

1. An order made by a trial judge instructing the jury to return a specific verdict.

If it was my death, not sure I would be laughing. DH is playing the good ‘ol’ boy card. That is because he has nothing. People can argue that the prosecution has circumstantial evidence. But, defense cant explain it away reasonably. They rely on intimidation, embarrassment, non-sequitors, confusion. At $50K per week, I suppose they need to do something other tHan muck it up like Griffin did. Ironically, they were contending that AM had a $50K per week habit with his addiction. Geez.

Hi Seattle! There are getting to be so many of these murders by narcissists that it’s overwhelming. He absolutely reminds me of BM. I’m still so surprised that adult children can’t see through the garbage. I mean, PM saw it. Maybe he even thought he and his mom could force Alex to get help. I do wish Buster would tell his dad to come clean!

IMO, what's most unfortunate here is that PM was only age 19 when he crashed the boat he was piloting while intoxicated (BAC 3x legal limit), and instead of immediately sending PM to (much-needed) rehab, and praying on the community how all of the under-age friends had a deadly lapse in judgment that they will live with forever, the Murdaughs immediately chose the path of cover-up (as only available to the powerful family).

On the other hand, had they raised PM that regardless of his family name, to be accountable and take responsibility for his actions, I think it would have gone a long way here and there would have eventually been forgiveness.

And it's incredibly insulting that the parents then had the nerve to blame the community for shunning them when they brought any ill feelings on themselves by going so far as to blame an innocent party for the crash! There were several witnesses onboard! What? Does the Murdaugh name overrule living witnesses? :mad:

PM being so intoxicated to allegedly have no memory of him driving the boat isn't the same as PM being innocent of crashing AM's boat which resulted in the death of Mallory Beach. MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member