SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, but I posted earlier that the deputy was whispering about the judge and one of the reporters said it was about Alex and contraband, but now I can't remember which reporter said it.
Of course. He'll never follow the rules. Just like on the prison phone calls where he wants his family to fund another inmates account but he'll actually get the money. I think he'll probably do really well in prison unless he lacks resources. If his family stops funding him he'll have to do increasingly risky things to stay ahead, pay people off, get treats cause he'll always be skimming off the top.

These ARE reasons for murder! Alex got on the stand and lied yet again diminishing the impact that many of these were having on him on June 7th. Just because he said it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it wasn't a big deal. I think you are right, he was pressed on all sides and we know the next time that happened in Sept of 2021 his reaction was drastic and over the top.. maybe just like June 7th when he found out his dad was dying, his finances were going to come to light, he was confronted by the CFO about his stealing, and he decided he had to make it all go away however he could..

This! "Just because he said it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it wasn't a big deal" - nailed it!!!

he has continually been minimizing his worry, a confrontation that wasn't, "she was apologetic" etc...because it absolutely is in his best interest to deny he was under any sort of pressure.

In fact, the only thing he does maximize is the hatred and anger that some anonymous internet 5'2" trolls must have felt for Paw-Paw. How convenient.

I think that, as his wife of many years who faithfully stood by him and raised their two sons, she was entitled to squat in the family home that she liked best. That was the Edisto Beach home. She was renovating the home with whatever money was left - she had just learned that they could not afford to buy the new house she wanted. Does anyone know when the Edisto Beach home renovations started with the "Mexican" crew?

She might have been weighing her options. As his wife, she goes down with the sinking ship. As the wife who is divorcing him, she can keep her home.

I wonder if the one-year legal separation rule had any bearing on anything?
In South Carolina, the only way to obtain a no-fault divorce is to live separately for one year. Living separately occurs when spouses live in two different locations. Living in different bedrooms in the same house does not qualify as living separately. Spouses do not need an Order of Separate Maintenance and Support to live separately, but it can help the spouses protect their financial interests and resolve visitation and custody issues during the separation period.

Either spouse may file an action for an Order of Separate Maintenance and Support, so long as the parties are living separate and apart (in a no-fault situation), or fault grounds can be proven.
If Maggie was indeed considering divorce, perhaps she moved to Edisto to start the clock on the one year. While she probably had numerous reasons she could cite fault (which would negate the need for the one-year separation), I'm sure she also knew any fight with AM in a legal arena would be a nasty one with him backed by the power and influence of his family. Maybe she was trying to start the clock in the hopes that she could file for a divorce after a year of living separately? MOO.

Info about a one-year separation and no-fault divorces in SC from here:

When this trial started, I felt sure that AM would be convicted. He's an addict with years of criming at a very high level; someone willing to steal millions from people who are sick, dying or in deep need for financial help is pretty much capable of anything--not to mention his legal partners I have no idea now, though. I've never seen anyone allowed to just ramble on and one and on in court. I'm baffled by what seems to go on there as a matter of course.

It comes down to two points, I think: First, the prosecution put on a strong case, showing that AM was at the murder scene almost to the moment when Paul and Maggie were killed. It's hard to imagine that the very short angry unarmed ninja people had time to find some Moselle guns to kill 2 people. Second, AM has lied from almost the first moments of the case. Never mind his REASONS for lying. He's admitted that he lies about nearly everything. Think about this: there is absolutely no reason to lie to law enforcement if you come home and find two members of your family slaughtered in brutal fashion. In fact, telling the truth is key to finding out what happened and who did it. The whole thrust of the parts of the cross-examination I saw was to show, over and over, again and again, that AM is a liar. That the new story was needed because the kennel video blew up the old one and that at every turn when he's in a corner or wants to seek advantage, AM lies. Just MOO but however "sympathetic" AM seems to be, the jury won't forget that he lies. All the time.
Correct. So, he throws out a reason for lying>>>PARANOIA AND DRUGS<<< YET....he's PERFECTLY COGENT AND RATIONAL when he's first questioned. He got caught in a lie and explains with another lie. It remains to be seen how jurors interpret this.

Yet isn't amazing. Our prisons are full to bursting and people are found guilty of murder every single day.

But they are disproportionately not white and not rich.

Sadly.

We probably incarcerate too many people. I do think SC intends to keep AM in confinement for quite a while. Our murder rates (in the US) could be improved, but when I look at a map of US homicides, I see state-by-state differences. Will SC find AM guilty or not? I'm on pins and needles, as this is a case where I believe it's so blatantly obvious that the accused is a lying liar and criminally involved to the Nth degree.

I hope SC prevails.

IMO.

Who put the dogs back in the kennels and when? Who hung up the hose and when?

A lot happened between 8:45 and 8:49 p.m. Paul and Maggie put away all the dogs and the hose, turned off some lights, while Alex made it back home, hopped on the couch and grabbed a quick 40.

There is a time wormhole at those kennels, it should be studied by science.

I think these murders were too well-planned out to be a spur-of-the-moment thing.
  • He asked Maggie to come to Moselle.
  • He didn't take his phone to the kennels so he couldn't be tracked.
  • He had the weapons set aside somewhere, available for use.
  • He had the blue tarp ready so he could dispose of the guns afterwards.
  • He hosed himself down right after, had extra clothes to change into, and managed to get rid of the bloody garments.
I'm sure there's a lot more as well. I think he'd been planning the killings for some time, a couple of months at least.
I agree -- and it sent shivers down my spine when Maggie's sister, MP, told us what he said: that whoever did it had been planning it for a long time.

The thing I really don't understand is why would he have to plan a crime like that for a long time. It was so poorly done, and he could have stashed the clothes and guns on the same day or a day ahead of the murders. Was that the best he could do? And why that particular day?

I wonder if the one-year legal separation rule had any bearing on anything?

If Maggie was indeed considering divorce, perhaps she moved to Edisto to start the clock on the one year. While she probably had numerous reasons she could cite fault (which would negate the need for the one-year separation), I'm sure she also knew any fight with AM in a legal arena would be a nasty one with him backed by the power and influence of his family. Maybe she was trying to start the clock in the hopes that she could file for a divorce after a year of living separately? MOO.

Info about a one-year separation and no-fault divorces in SC from here:

She lived in such a different legal world than I do, now. It reminds me of where I was circa 1975. It's so sad.

IMO.
Of course. He'll never follow the rules. Just like on the prison phone calls where he wants his family to fund another inmates account but he'll actually get the money. I think he'll probably do really well in prison unless he lacks resources. If his family stops funding him he'll have to do increasingly risky things to stay ahead, pay people off, get treats cause he'll always be skimming off the top.

I had forgotten about that (so MUCH malfeasance).

Trying to get around the jail rules is so bad. His glee (shown in his face) over explaining some of his crimes (the use of his father's and grandfather's badges, and by extension, their reputations) was extraordinary. He's a menace to everyone he meets (I think he knows this).

I don't think his family can afford funding him much further.

IMO.

I agree -- and it sent shivers down my spine when Maggie's sister, MP, told us what he said: that whoever did it had been planning it for a long time.

The thing I really don't understand is why would he have to plan a crime like that for a long time. It was so poorly done, and he could have stashed the clothes and guns on the same day or a day ahead of the murders. Was that the best he could do? And why that particular day?

Can you think of better planning on the part of a convicted first degree murderer?

Most criminals think they've planned to the Nth degree. How was it poorly done? He may well get away with it, still. If so, his best was good enough.

Respectfully, why does the day matter? He had made up his mind, needed to get them both to Moselle, that day worked out.

I don't need an immediate trigger in this case - but I do think that if MM and PM had returned the pills to AM, this might not have happened. He's an addict of historic proportions.

IMO.

I didn't catch this on prior watches.

When Maggie and Paul's bodies are covered, Alec makes a statement. About them being covered.

I think Alec wanted his posse (all the folks he called who descended upon Moselle) to see the carnage. IMO he was banking on the brutality of the murders pointing away from him.

He was creating his narrative right out of the gate.

JMO
Oh yeah. Nothing is does is happenstance. It's ALL designed to always put him in the best possible light, create distracting spectacle & point any blame in some other direction.

Every lawyer knows that you're only as good as your last performance.

If DH loses this trial and Alex is convicted, or even a hung jury, DH has a big fail. This might be his last trial on record, who knows. Big fail is not a nice note to end on, but he'll never have another case that is this big, so he cannot as a lawyer recover from this fail.
The San Fran Gate called Mark Geragos a loser. Defending that sicko Peterson.
MG is recently a talking head on Ashleigh Banfield show. Still annoying and of course on AM’s side .

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member