VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an attorney, and am extremely interested in this trial, and I had trouble staying tuned in.
Do you think the 2 breaks during that almost forced a bit of a longer closing? I noticed after the first break he did repeat some things, but I wondered if he needed to remind them where they were and what he said before to carry on into the next points. Then right at the end that break when he was about to finish seemed to force him to need to build back up some before finishing.

https://twitter.com/AveryGWilks

By my math, lead prosecutor Creighton Waters went for 3 hours today (4 hours, 34 minutes minus a 1:20 lunch break and a 0:15 stretch break). That's the longest closing argument I've ever witnessed.

I've never seen a break in an opening or closing statement, much less two breaks.

Up tomorrow: defense closing statement, prosecution's reply statement, jury charges, jury deliberations. And whatever issue the judge is planning to deal with in chambers.

im not feeling the prosecution's case. mOO
Me either. He laid out a fine case based on speculation but that’s all it is. Up to defense to provide alternative speculation. Still winnable for them, though uphill battle. There’s lot of doubt about whether he did it—probably he did, so the question, is the doubt reasonable? State is basing so much of its case on his being a liar—really irrelevant to the specific act—and the timeline, but the real question about the timeline is how he could clean himself up so quickly within that timeline. He killed them then was quickly on the move and yet still managed to get rid of virtually all forensic evidence. Not likely, MOO. And they insinuate the murder weapons had to be his, but no real proof of that, especially with Paul’s weapon missing a long time. Not feeling it.

<snipped> Tied up nicely with a bow IMO

Prosecutors in the double murder trial of Alex Murdaugh wove together an elaborate timeline during closing arguments Wednesday, seeking to convince a South Carolina jury that the once-reputable lawyer became a "family annihilator" when he killed his wife and younger son to evade accountability for a string of financial misdeeds.

Utilizing electronic data and video extracted from the victims' cellphones, lead prosecutor Creighton Waters placed Murdaugh at the crime scene June 7, 2021, saying he had access to family firearms when he ambushed his son, Paul, before shooting his wife, Margaret, multiple times on the grounds of the family's hunting estate in rural Colleton County.

"She heard that shot and was running to her baby when she got mowed down by the only person that we have conclusive proof was at that scene just minutes before," Waters told the jury.

The state built on weeks of testimony and hundreds of pieces of evidence in its sprawling case, and Waters spent much of his closing argument to highlight all the times Murdaugh had lied, including to investigators about his alibi.

"There is only one person who had the motive, who had the means, who had the opportunity to commit these crimes, and also whose guilty conduct after these crimes betrays him," Waters said.

"The forensic timeline puts him there. The use of his family weapons corroborates that," he added. "And his lies and his guilty actions afterward confirms it."

Alex Murdaugh cast as 'family annihilator' during prosecution's closing arguments

Do you think the 2 breaks during that almost forced a bit of a longer closing? I noticed after the first break he did repeat some things, but I wondered if he needed to remind them where they were and what he said before to carry on into the next points. Then right at the end that break when he was about to finish seemed to force him to need to build back up some before finishing.
Yes. I wondered why they didn't have lunch first and then start the closing. I also forget where I read this, but I read somewhere that one of the breaks was due to someone on the defense team falling asleep at the table. I don't remember where I read this so take this as unconfirmed - I don't mean to violate any rules here.

Prosecutor Waters in Closing reminds the Jurors about those "5'2" vigilantes" again. Those vigilantes, the ones he said earlier had some kind of ESP, because they knew exactly the time Paul and Maggie would be there alone at the kennels, that they would find the handy family weapons there, even the Blackout gun, and they would arrive in that small time frame.

Someone rolled up the hose! Who would want to do that? I think also the thought that the vigilantes just happened to not arrive when we now know Alex was there at the kennels is another big fact to ponder on, Jurors. I'm praying you can please, please, put it all together, Jurors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1