VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin's closing argument lasted about 2 hours, 15 minutes. Jury is returning to the courtroom now for the final word from Meadors.

Meadors thanks jurors for sitting through this for six weeks. “And I’m not going to be that long.”

Meadors: “This is a common sense case.” And you didn’t leave that common sense behind when you came here for six weeks. He calls Murdaugh defense attorney Dick Harpootlian a "smokescreen machine.”

Meadors: I’m offended that the defense is claiming law enforcement didn’t do their job “while he (AM) is withholding and obstructing justice by not saying, ‘I was down at the kennels.’”

“Why wouldn’t you tell them that?” Meadors asks. “Credibility. Believability.”

Meadors: This case is about being real. “Always be real. This case is about that defendant never being real.”

Meadors: Why didn’t AM call Buster as soon as he found the bodies? “Buster, stay where you are!” Protect yourself. Someone is trying to kill us.

Meadors: “We don’t have to prove motive! I think it’s been proven. His world was collapsing.”

Meadors mentions Bubba in passing and then hints he will come back to him later: “Don’t let me forget about Bubba.” Gosh dangit.

Meadors: Malice is established. He shot them multiple times. It wasn’t an accident.

Meadors on reasonable doubt: “You can’t answer every question, and the law doesn’t require it.”

Meadors on AM’s trip to Almeda that night, when he parked out back instead of in the driveway. “We submit to you that’s when he went to hide the guns. That’s common sense.”

Meadors on the Almeda trip: “He wasn’t going to love his momma. He wasn’t going to be with her. He was going because he loves Alex.”

Meadors on AM’s early-morning visit to Almeda days after the slayings, according to Shelley Smith: “Doesn’t call. He didn’t need a timeline to create for that visit. Didn’t want a timeline. Didn’t want a record of that.”

Meadors: This was days after the murder. Shelley sees him come in with something blue and goes upstairs.

Meadors: That blue rain jacket is good circumstantial evidence. “Is Shelley making that up? Did she make that up?”

Meadors is cooking.

Meadors: Remember what AM said when he was asked when he changed clothes on 6/7/21? He wanted to know what time Paul filmed his Snapchat video. Meadors walks the jury through how AM tried to align his story after the slayings with that of Shelley Smith and Blanca Simpson.

"They're trying to put us on trial for doing our jobs - blaming everybody else," Meadors said.

Meadors tends to alternate quite suddenly between borderline whispers and shouting. Caused me to jump a time or two.

The jury isn't gonna fall asleep on this man's watch.

Meadors: “You think Bubba knew? … BUBBA! Thank God for Bubba. … Thank you Bubba.” Jesus.

Meadors' dad was a country minister, and it shows.

Meadors: “I think he loved Maggie. I think he loved Paul. But you know who he loved more than that? You know who he loved more than that? … He loved Alex.”

Meadors finishes up, asking the jury to find Murdaugh guilty in the murders of Maggie and Paul. We are going to break for lunch for 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Jury charges after lunch.

I was just thinking that if AM had, forgive me, killed the dogs, it might have looked more like a professional hit
Good point that I hadn't thought of.

If this was vigilantes who were just out to destroy the Murdaughs they would have killed the dogs too to show intimidation and anger. I think they would have shot Paul more than twice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1