VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that generally done for a jury? Pretty nice perk! In NYC, the best part of jury duty is that the courts are near Chinatown and Little Italy, so it was always fun to find another cool lunch spot and escape the court building for a bit, although we have to take care of our own lunch.
When I did jury duty, they had a gross cafeteria in which we were on our own financially. I stayed with a coke and a smoke.

I agree, without that video and his lies about it there was not enough to take to trial. It’s ironic that if he had thought to tell the truth that he was with them at the kennel, the discovery of that video would not have meant anything and he would have got away without being charged with their murders. moo

I think this is very true.

I agree, without that video and his lies about it there was not enough to take to trial. It’s ironic that if he had thought to tell the truth that he was with them at the kennel, the discovery of that video would not have meant anything and he would have got away without being charged with their murders. moo
I totally agree with this.
If he had just told the truth he would have never been charged and would have gotten away with double murder.
Luckily, his mo is to lie on top of lie on top of lie and this one came back to bite him in a huge way courtesy of his murdered youngest son.

He was really making sure that black pen was good and solid down in his pants pocket. Checked it good, shoving it down. I am thinking that he may use it on himself now. It's so clearly seen that he has done this and they are on to him and that pen taking so he'll be checked. Who knows when he plans to use it on himself? Walking back to cell for lunch break there? I have that vibe now.
It sure seemed that way. Maybe “moving” it to his breast pocket was just a ruse to lure LE to check in the wrong place.
“Look, no pen in this pocket!”

Very possible she had picked it up and those few minutes before she was killed

Thank you - that also explains why, after checking her body, AM called her phone, hoping to hear and locate it. Which he did.

I think it's a safe conclusion as well.
IIRC, he didnt call her phone until back at the house. I think he saw it there after he killed her and took it with the intent to check her texts, etc. IIRC her phone indicated it was picked up but could not be unlocked and had steps recorded. he couldnt get into it. then the calls to her from him began, first while in the house.

IMO, he was calling her phone with the phone right there in the house. made sure msgs pinged as received. IMO, he had to ditch it because if not, he would need to go back down to the murder site and place it somewhere, of course, he wouldnt really know where to place it.... better ditch it.

I suspect that is because there are so many cases where husbands kill wives that to suggest they don’t would be scoffed at, but this defense is REALLY hanging their hats on the common belief that fathers do not kill their sons.

So, many defense witnesses have talked of their memorable love and affection for Paul in the Defense team’s hope that jurors will project those into their concept of the relationship between Alex and Paul.

But, if Alex loved Paul, he’d have disciplined him. By that I don’t mean anything like spanking or punishment, I mean “making Paul a disciple of his father’s own good character and behavior.” That is, teaching - by example and by instruction - Paul how to be in the world to live a good life. Not an indulged and self-destructive life, but a life built on service to good relationships, development of a worthy vocation, investment of self into a larger community.

But Alex didn’t have it in him. He only had indulgence. Let Paul have whatever he wanted as an extension of Alex having whatever he wanted. And when indulging Paul resulted in consequences which threatened to expose the full extent to which Alex indulged himself (cheating and stealing from others), Paul lost his utility to Alex and he didn’t want Paul as an extension of himself anymore.

So, he eliminated Paul and used the tragedy to bask in the sympathy that came his way after.

The common belief that fathers don’t kill their sons cannot be applied to Alex because he didn’t earn that presumption like most fathers do.

BBM. Absolutely -- excellent point.

I suspect also that the defence hat also hangs here on the belief that (on paper at least) rich and well-known defendants especially don't tend to kill their sons. And especially especially don't kill them so brutally and without some motive that is crystal-clear to the jury.

If AM gets off -- I don't think he will -- it will be because the jury can't work out WHY he did it, given the common beliefs articulated by @Diddian.

Totally agree.
Time and place.
The closing rebuttal is the perfect time and perfect place to show some emotion.
Yes, these prosecutors have been living this case FOR the victims. That this one gets emotional in his convictions about who their killer is, that's not drama, that's an advocate. AJMO

You are so right. I am not emotionally invested in the outcome of this trial. I believe AM is a despicable human being and will be put away for life no matter how this jury votes. But I am curious to see the outcome of this trial.
Would he be put away for life for the financial crimes? If he gets 20 years for those, he'd be out in 8.

Not to be morbid, but do you think he would try to off himself in prison? For someone who has never had to face any real consequences in life, he's facing some really serious stuff right now.

I’m going to buy me a yellow lab.( We used to have one and it’s time for another one.)
I was trying to decide whether to name it Judge Newman, after my favorite judge, or CW after my favorite prosecutor.
After today, I might have to name it, Meadors.
I’m blown away. A tour de force.
I think Meadors would be a great name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members