GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed the ruling, Moselle property was an illegal transfer. Do you remember on what grounds? I know it was several years before the boat accident.

Who is suing MMs estate? I thought the sale of Moselle was to settle the victims of the boating accident.

In Virginia we can transfer property for as little as 1.00.
Moo...

See quoted link below for AM's fraudulent transfer dated 2016 to MM for $5 and love and affection.

MM was named in the Wrongful Death suit by the Beach family and suit by the surviving passengers. However, at death, the suit became against the Estate of MM (i.e., can't sue a dead individual). MOO

Here is an article, not sure if it's the most recent though concerning illegal transfer.

Arguments the Moselle property sale was fraudulent come from attorneys John T. Lay and Peter McCoy. Judge Daniel Hall gave Lay and McCoy broad authority to oversee and control Murdaugh's money as part of a November 2021 injunction essentially freezing Murdaugh's assets by placing it in a receivership.

At the time, Alex Murdaugh and his family members were accused of rapidly selling off or liquidating assets. This was believed to be an attempt by Alex and his son, Buster, to hide their true net worth and shield their property and holdings from winding up as settlement fodder in pending (or impending) court cases.

That remains a distinct and likely possibility amid Alex's snowballing legal troubles in both the criminal and civil court arenas. In addition to several pending lawsuits, a state grand jury also has indicted Murdaugh on 79 criminal charges of fraud, money laundering and conspiracy tied to the theft of at least $8.4 million from clients and associates dating back to 2011.

Lay and McCoy say some of the same crimes Alex is now accused made his selling the Moselle property to his wife an illegal act from the get-go.

There are so many layers to the financial fraud, and probably went on for decades. I am sure that the malpractice insurance provider for AM's former firm has a bunch of claims to be litigated. What a mess to figure out. I doubt AM is going to be very cooperative. He is in prison for life, what does he care about more litigation?!

I just watched the interview that James (22yo) did with Law and Crime and I was very impressed with how he articulated his perspective on the evidence. He was quite perceptive. It sounds like the shell casings made a difference - jury believed Murdaugh guns were used. I guess I was skeptical of this evidence bc they didn’t have the guns to be able to compare. And LawTube was saying that this casing to casing comparison was dubious.

But to anyone saying jurors base their decision on emotions and are easily convinced by prosecution tricks - this young man puts that assertion to the test. He seemed measured and thoughtful. So did the other 2 women who were with him on the Today show. I liked that all these jurors were not running at the mouth to get their 15 mins of fame! I’m usually cringing when jurors speak out but not this time.

Yes both had affairs but I don’t see the motive as that different than AM’s. Both Watt’s and Peterson could have simply asked for a divorce, instead they chose murder to hide their secret. I feel part of the reason AM killed was to hide his secret, he was threatened with exposure. moo
Most discussions of motive miss the point. In Watts's case, it's not just the "I prefer the new mistress to the old wife"; it's that the people they "loved" (spouse and kids) are disposable. These people do not think like the rest of us. Whatever "love" they feel is an emotion that goes no further than their own bodies. For them "love" is something that benefits them and makes them feel and look good. It has nothing to do with furthering the lives and happiness and security of their supposed loved ones. A parent who loves his child is devoted to the child's nurturance and well-being. Normal parents try to run into burning buildings to save their kids. Abnormal ones start the arson fire. Most people are busy projecting their own normal emotions and decency onto criminals who simply do not share that emotional infrastructure and capacity.

CW made the critical point that AM could profess to "love" people and still lie to their face and rob them. We knew what we needed to know about AM in the aftermath of the boat crash, when he tried to frame Connor Cook. That's a man with zero scruples, who acts only in his own interest (because not having Paul charged was definitely in AM's own interest).

Motive will always be hard to see when a crime appears to be "senseless," because we can't see things the way people who have no conscience, scruples, and/or decency see them. Watts is a great case in point. He thought it made sense to hide the bodies of his small children (whom he seemed to "love" but disposed of like they were less than trash) in oil tanks on his own job site, with his wife in a shallow grave steps away. They were in the way, like Maggie and Paul were in the way. That's really the motive: "someone is in my way and has to go."

I have to say these plaintiff’s lawyers B!and and Tin$ley seem really suspect to me. They seem to be interested in fanning the flames with rumor and conjecture. It all seems self-promotional behavior to me. I’m not sure why they are so bent on inserting themselves into the murder case like this. It has nothing to do with their clients’ claims on the financial crimes. The jurors have conducted themselves with more restraint and professionalism than these two when it comes to their media/podcast appearances. JMO

BBM This has bothered me. I really didn't think that it's legal to scratch off someone's name and change a will without it being acknowledged with an initial by the original party. I am surprised that the probate court accepted this. Maybe someone with more knowledge about it can share their expertise. Seems that Maggie's sister would have an opinion about it too. JMO
Sounds Very fishy to me.
IMO, weird. Renounced personal rep role, declined to give victim impact statement, testimony was like walking a fine line, occasionally leaning slightly pro-defense.

I wish I understood why. (I’m not disparaging her. I’m just confused about these things.)
I wonder if she is afraid for her own family. The Murdaugh family are a scary bunch:(

I have to say these plaintiff’s lawyers B!and and Tin$ley seem really suspect to me. They seem to be interested in fanning the flames with rumor and conjecture. It all seems self-promotional behavior to me. I’m not sure why they are so bent on inserting themselves into the murder case like this. It has nothing to do with their clients’ claims on the financial crimes. The jurors have conducted themselves with more restraint and professionalism than these two when it comes to their media/podcast appearances. JMO
There is still much more to the Murdaugh Saga to be uncovered, and I am glad they are still involved. MOO

See quoted link below for AM's fraudulent transfer dated 2016 to MM for $5 and love and affection.

MM was named in the Wrongful Death suit by the Beach family and suit by the surviving passengers. However, at death, the suit became against the Estate of MM (i.e., can't sue a dead individual). MOO
Thank you, makes perfect sense. :) This relates to AM previous theft from clients.

I thought it was related to the boat accident.

I do see in the probate doc, other creditors were paid, in addition, to the victims.

Thanks, for finding. I got caught up I'm reading the media thread. So much I had forgotten about.

Moo....

Last edited:
I watched the three jurors on the Today Show and was very impressed. They were all very thoughtful and not sensational at all in how they talked about it. They obviously took their jury responsibility seriously.
All that talk during the trial about them not paying attention, and sleeping was very wrong.
i will say the sleeping was reported by many credible journalists who saw it in person. She is the same one that put kleenex in her ears. The good news is she was the alternate that was left. I assume the judge had his eye on that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina