SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hasn’t he already appealed and lost? Does he have new lawyers now ?
I believe the defense appealed the lower court's decision on their defense motion following the dismissal of the juror(s) during deliberations, and lost. However, Drew Tripp's tweet was announcing the date of the Oral Argument for the Federal appeal of his conviction. The pending appeal cites the juror dismissal as just one of the claims.

Thank you, @Cindizzi!

I am very sad about how all this turned out with BH. My hearts says at the get-go she was a nice Southern lady with very good intentions in serving her community well and with pride, but she got in over her head with all the publicity, adoration, and responsibilities. Got rushed, was unsophisticated — sometimes naive, and didn’t stop long enough to think things through. I don’t want to believe she was actually a coniving criminal — my feeling is everything snowballed and things went to her head — at least this is what I hope. OMO.

I also hope this is resolved soon for her and everyone concerned.

Things seem to move so slow in S.C. When will we ever get a definitive final answer on Stephen Smith? Why SLED reopened the investigation after the Murdaugh murders? I think GS death is closed but I don’t think we ever got the truth. MOO.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I am very sad about how all this turned out with BH. My hearts says at the get-go she was a nice Southern lady with very good intentions in serving her community well and with pride, but she got in over her head with all the publicity, adoration, and responsibilities. Got rushed, was unsophisticated — sometimes naive, and didn’t stop long enough to think things through. I don’t want to believe she was actually a coniving criminal — my feeling is everything snowballed and things went to her head — at least this is what I hope. OMO.

I also hope this is resolved soon for her and everyone concerned.

Things seem to move so slow in S.C. When will we ever get a definitive final answer on Stephen Smith? Why SLED reopened the investigation after the Murdaugh murders? I think GS death is closed but I don’t think we ever got the truth. MOO.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you looked at the charges against her? They're a couple of pages back in the thread.

Among the allegations are that she paid herself thousands of dollars in unauthorized bonuses with Federal money that was earmarked to help children. And it started in 2021, long before the Alex Murdaugh trial.

edit - Here's an article that lays out the charges: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article288854860.html

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. Have you looked at the charges against her? They're a couple of pages back in the thread.

Among the allegations are that she paid herself thousands of dollars in unauthorized bonuses with Federal money that was earmarked to help children. And it started in 2021, long before the Alex Murdaugh trial.

edit - Here's an article that lays out the charges: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article288854860.html
Forgot about all that — yes you are correct. Guessing I’m trying to see good in her from public face, but all that self payment, if proven, is definitely wrong, as well as plagiarism, interacting with jury, etc. Guess she was good at rationalizing. :( And guess I’m wrong — seems she premeditated on some bad stuff to benefit herself :( MOO.

Worst thing would be if any of her actions get AM off. Arghhhh.

It is still sad.

The disbarred South Carolina attorney convicted of two murders and scores of fraud charges has appealed his federal prison sentence, and a federal appeals court announced this week that it may hear that appeal as early as this fall.

In the wake of his March 2023 convictions in the June 2021 killings of his wife and son, and amid a guilty plea deal on state fraud charges, Alex Murdaugh pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges in September 2023 and was sentenced April 2024 to 40 years in federal prison.

Yet despite signing off on the 22-count, no-contest federal plea deal, which has general provisions prohibiting appeals, Murdaugh's attorneys filed an appeal on that sentence on July 11.

Ironically, Murdaugh, a man convicted of shooting his family members multiple times with high-powered hunting weapons and who pleaded guilty to stealing from injured clients, widowers, orphans, and paraplegics, framed his appeal argument around the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits excessive and cruel or unusual punishments.

The disbarred South Carolina attorney convicted of two murders and scores of fraud charges has appealed his federal prison sentence, and a federal appeals court announced this week that it may hear that appeal as early as this fall.

In the wake of his March 2023 convictions in the June 2021 killings of his wife and son, and amid a guilty plea deal on state fraud charges, Alex Murdaugh pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges in September 2023 and was sentenced April 2024 to 40 years in federal prison.

Yet despite signing off on the 22-count, no-contest federal plea deal, which has general provisions prohibiting appeals, Murdaugh's attorneys filed an appeal on that sentence on July 11.

Ironically, Murdaugh, a man convicted of shooting his family members multiple times with high-powered hunting weapons and who pleaded guilty to stealing from injured clients, widowers, orphans, and paraplegics, framed his appeal argument around the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits excessive and cruel or unusual punishments.

And this is the exact profile of one capable of murdering their wife and son -- and believe they can get away with the crime.

Yes, sure is ‘ripe’ IMO…… just have to ask and wonder……

So IIUC the defendant and his counsel thought the deal was good enough to have signed it, and even apparently with a stipulation or condition that it was not allowed to be appealed? Right? And now this?

So what changed? SMH. Why does this ‘wonderful example’ of SC / federal jurisprudence get another bite of the apple? IMO that apple is gone, consumed. (Insert furrowed brow of disgust)…. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back