Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolodexed this in my mind all night. My thoughts, she had to see the car seat when she opened the door and started to get in, seems that would alerted her. In the video she seems like she's walking ok, not stumbling drunk. And how did he subdue her, he was driving and she was free in the back seat to knock the crap out of him. He must have had a gun. Just trying to imagine her last moments. Blood inside the car and in the trunk...poor girl, this is really upsetting. I have close friends whose kids are at USC right now, this could have been one of them.

Rolodexed this in my mind all night. My thoughts, she had to see the car seat when she opened the door and started to get in, seems that would alerted her. In the video she seems like she's walking ok, not stumbling drunk. And how did he subdue her, he was driving and she was free in the back seat to knock the crap out of him. He must have had a gun. Just trying to imagine her last moments. Blood inside the car and in the trunk...poor girl, this is really upsetting. I have close friends whose kids are at USC right now, this could have been one of them.
Many drivers use their private cars for this service, so a car seat for a child could be explained, I'd say.

As for her getting into the car, if you look at the photos (and video) before she gets in, she's standing there waiting but totally engrossed in her phone. She probably had a few drinks, may have been a little tired and very distracted by what she was reading/doing on the phone. She looks over at his car before he makes the turn, so possibly (as mentioned above) he called out to ask if she was waiting for an Uber. She hops in without a moment's hesitation.

Just as an example, a few years ago, a woman in Philly was hit and killed by a DUCK boat when she stepped off the curb and into its path while she was texting and reading her phone. A DUCK boat is hard to miss - large, loud, takes up the entire street, etc. Yet that's how much a cell phone can take a person out of the reality at hand. All JMO of course.

MAR 31, 2019
Nathaniel Rowland: What we know about suspect in USC student Samantha Josephson homicide case
What we know about Nathaniel Rowland:
  • Rowland is being detained at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on four charges: murder, kidnapping, failure to stop on police command and possession of less than 1 ounce of drugs.
[...]
  • A child safety seat was located in the backseat of the vehicle and child locks were activated, Holbrook said.
[...]
  • Rowland is 24 years old and a resident of New Zion in Clarendon County, according to his booking information.
  • Josephson's body was located in a rural area in Clarendon County known to Rowland, a place where he recently resided, Holbrook said.
[...]

• Rowland has one past felony arrest in South Carolina from Oct. 2018 for obtaining a signature or property under false pretenses, valued at $2,000 or less, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

• Rowland attended South Carolina State University in 2017, according to his Facebook page and public records.
[...]

Last edited:
Morgan has been on my mind since hearing about Samantha.
Hopefully this is a wakee up call & many young people learn from this tragic, senseless event.
Many drivers use their private cars for this service, so a car seat for a child could be explained, I'd say.

As for her getting into the car, if you look at the photos (and video) before she gets in, she's standing there waiting but totally engrossed in her phone. She probably had a few drinks, may have been a little tired and very distracted by what she was reading/doing on the phone. She looks over at his car before he makes the turn, so possibly (as mentioned above) he called out to ask if she was waiting for an Uber. She hops in without a moment's hesitation.

Just as an example, a few years ago, a woman in Philly was hit and killed by a DUCK boat when she stepped off the curb and into its path while she was texting and reading her phone. A DUCK boat is hard to miss - large, loud, takes up the entire street, etc. Yet that's how much a cell phone can take a person out of the reality at hand. All JMO of course.

My interpretation is that she is checking the Uber driver's route on her phone, awaiting his arrival in just a few minutes. She can see that he is getting close.

I recall the accounts said the Uber arrived "just a few moments later", so it would be very easy to confuse the Black Impala with the moments-away Uber.

I hope LE can trace where the Black Impala was in the minutes before she was picked up. Was he circling the block and noticed her there, quickly circled back through the gas station?

In the video, she really stands out there on the curb all by herself, while what seems like 30 men are clustered around outside the Blind Dog Bar. I don't see any other women around in the security cam footage and she's not interacting at all with the bar patrons. She's obviously waiting for someone.

Last edited:
MAR 31, 2019
Nathaniel Rowland: What we know about suspect in USC student Samantha Josephson homicide case
What we know about Nathaniel Rowland"
  • Rowland is 24 years old and a resident of New Zion in Clarendon County, according to his booking information
[...]

Am I the only one who finds it very unusual that he resides 79 miles away and turns up to cruise Five Points at bar closing times when college is in session?

It's not likely he has a gf that works in one of the Harden St establishments and he was picking her up from work... she'd be after him to find out where he was when he failed to show.

Where do his baby and baby mama reside? If he has the car with the car seat, then it implies he spends substantial time with them, possibly being their usual ride. He isn't really reported to have a job, or anything else that would have him residing in Columbia.

I'm getting this picture of a guy with a well-kept-looking vehicle that is out hunting for vulnerable, intoxicated women at bar closing time. A predator.

I wonder if she was on the phone with her Uber driver. I have received phone calls from the appointed Uber drivers and even called them myself to make sure they can locate me. I wonder if the Uber driver asked her to stand away from everyone so that she could easily be spotted.

Am I the only one who finds it very unusual that he resides 79 miles away and turns up to cruise Five Points at bar closing times when college is in session?

It's not likely he has a gf that works in one of the Harden St establishments and he was picking her up from work... she'd be after him to find out where he was when he failed to show.

Where do his baby and baby mama reside? If he has the car with the car seat, then it implies he spends substantial time with them, possibly being their usual ride. He isn't really reported to have a job, or anything else that would have him residing in Columbia.

I'm getting this picture of a guy with a well-kept-looking vehicle that is out hunting for vulnerable, intoxicated women at bar closing time. A predator.

Ita.
Did he regularly prowl the streets looking for vulnerable women? Was this something he wanted to do for a long time & was finally successful? Hard to believe he pulled this off so easily his first time. I think we might hear some more news, maybe he’s offered rides before, etc.

*we have a local Uber driver that keeps a car seat in his car. He does a lot of day runs to medical clinics & baby sitters, (with mom), he usually puts it in his trunk if he’s pulling night hours.

Ita.
Did he regularly prowl the streets looking for vulnerable women? Was this something he wanted to do for a long time & was finally successful? Hard to believe he pulled this off so easily his first time. I think we might hear some more news, maybe he’s offered rides before, etc.

*we have a local Uber driver that keeps a car seat in his car. He does a lot of day runs to medical clinics & baby sitters, (with mom), he usually puts it in his trunk if he’s pulling night hours.

I think the key to this is the female who is cooperating with LE, who was accompanying him the NEXT morning at 3 am in the same area, in the bloody car.

Was he trying to be her pimp? He didn't have much in the way of drugs in the car when arrested so it's not likely he's dealing in the area, but maybe she was.

You'd think someone in the drug or prostitution business would know to stay out of trouble with female coeds and if she entered his vehicle and wasn't interested in what was going on, would just have her leave the vehicle in the next block.

Last edited:
Uber and Lyft are not at fault for this crime. Aside from the app, which makes it very easy for patrons to track and verify their car, drivers display a decal in their window. You are just as likely to be killed by a taxi driver or fake taxi. Nate killed Samantha. If you believe your death is something you can control, the best way of avoiding a situation like this is to stay with friends. How many times do we hear how a girl is separated (or outright ditched) by her companions only to end up murdered or dead?

I believe the perp is an example of a privileged upbringing with a high level of pressure (according to his webpage) and when he got into college and began to fail (couldn't compete, maybe lost his scholarship, who knows) he fell into drugs and became obsessed with his own image and entitlement. It is likely S was unfortunately available to serve as his outlet for a lot of anger. I think he saw her standing there and, knowing that area is a frequent pickup spot, took the opportunity. I won't be surprised if we hear they have cctv of his car in that area frequently.

I missed the info about him being privileged.

What was to stop her from calling 911 when she realized she was trapped in the car?

I have to think he put up with the charade he was the Uber until she realized she wasn't going home. Wasn't there something about her phone having a signal until she was in the Rosewood area (don't know where that was)

With him in the driver's seat, it would be ackward to try to shoot her while he's driving so he would have had to pull over and turn around. Even then, it's easy to hit 911 on your phone.

And gawd, even in a taxi I always have my phone in my hand ready to hit the emergency button

Last edited:
Omg. Horrifying. Glad you were ok and had the wherewithal to take command even though you were scared out of your mind. It reminded me of the jogger in WA state a couple years ago who screamed “Not today, MF’er!” She credits that with saving her life. She’d just taken a self defense class from law enforcement I think. Exact same approach you used.

Nice work.

“Not today, MF’er!!!” LOVE that!!!

Thanks -- I was just glad that I happened to know a few techniques and that the opportunity presented itself to use one -- his hand was sitting on his thigh so his thumb was right there for the taking. Element of surprise was surely my friend as well. :)

The poor girl this is absolutely horrific:(. I've never used uber but i have been with a young relative when she ordered one. She got the make and color of the car plus the driver's name. When he drove up he said i'm the uber and my name is Pete i assumed that was protocol. Wtf is really going on in this country? He had no right to take this child's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc