Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the child locks on the back doors. On my Acura, the actual locks are on the inside of the frame of each back door. Flip the switch up or down to turn the lock off or on.
Like all cars I imagine.

However, I can also control it with the lock button on the driver’s console. One must read the manual to figure it out. I do not remember what it called for because once it was set, it was done.

Mine is set so when the engine is turned off, only the drivers door is unlocked. No one can get in or out without me pressing the button. Keeps children safely in and lessons the opportunist who may try to grab a purse from the passengers side at a gas station, etc.
/QUOTE]

I have my Avalanche programmed to lock all doors when the truck is in drive and when it is shifted back into park only the driver's door unlocks. I have to push the button to unlock the doors for the kids (or front passenger) to get out.

When i got it it was programmed for all the doors to unlock when it was put into park but my wife hated that (and she was right).

'We loved Sammy': friends, family holds vigil for slain USC student Samantha Josephson

A local rabbi told the group it was tough to come up with any words of comfort; instead, he urged people to focus on their memories of Samantha, which he said were filled with energy, passion, and love for her family and friends.

"The fact that we are at this vigil is unthinkable, unimaginable, unspeakable," he said. "In what universe does it make sense that we are standing at this young woman's vigil?"

Samantha was graduating in May, and was headed to law school at Drexel University in the fall.

Many speakers couldn't hold back the tears as they spoke. Samantha's boyfriend told the group at the vigil that she was a force of good. He said they'd known each other for four years, and were planning a life together.

"She truly was the love of my life," he said. "I saw such a clear future with her. I thought I had my future so perfectly planned out."

He said their last conversation was on Facetime just hours before her death. He said he gave her one last message: "That I was her person and that she loved me and she could truly be herself around me."

Her father, Seymour Josephson, spoke about her use of Uber, and how she mistakenly got into what she thought was her ride. He said he wants everyone to make sure they use good safety, and plans to urge Uber and Lyft to do more to educate their riders about precautions.

"I don't want anyone else to ever go through this again," he said. "I can't tell you how painful this is."

But he wanted the crowd to know that his daughter, a New Jersey native, had enjoyed her time in South Carolina and at the university.

Ty for this.
Truly heartbreaking.
I think her father will do all he can to work with Uber & Lyft, in Samantha’s memory.

His disorganization makes me think he was on drugs & has some addiction issues. I hope I’m wrong as I’d hate to see him get leniency under the “I didn’t know what I was doing” defense.
Samantha should be home, preparing for not far off finals, graduation, moving to attend Drexel, interning for United Nations (perhaps), but because of the murderer her goals will never be met.
I was thinking this not due to disorganization, but due to the fact that when I heard he was 24 I was *shocked*. That is a very, very rough looking 24 years old, and immediately thought drugs or substance abuse.

Not trying to resort to ad hominem attacks, just moo

My guess is things went bad pretty quickly, as sad as it is to say that. As in she read the text and her response/reaction led to things escalating and her not being able to make any further calls/communication.

In the UK, Uber can sometimes malfunction where the driver is shown as somewhere different than he is in the live tracking and texts that the Uber has arrived can come both earlier or later than the taxi has actually arrived at.

I don’t know if that’s the same in the USA but it could explain why Samantha didn’t wait for an alert to confirm the Uber was there and also could mean that receiving the alert when she was in this creep’s car didn’t necessarily worry her either. Her last moments are just harrowing to think about.

That's a definite possibility. Bet if he was, it would be on video somewhere. And in that case, he could have spotted her sooner and followed her out, even preceded her out. JMO

If so, he may have heard her tell her party she was calling Uber. I think she got in the car fast enough she really didn’t “see” him.
I looked in msm for comments from his family but found none.

I wonder if this guy followed this case back in 2017. It doesn’t matter.

USC students alerted about man posing as driver, holding females against their will

USC students alerted about man posing as driver, holding females against their will
COLUMBIA, SC

“Law enforcement is searching for a man who has allegedly posed as an rideshare driver to pick up young women, including University of South Carolina students, and held them against their will – with one claiming he assaulted a female while offering her a ride home.”

Uber Safety Tips | Beware of Fake Uber Drivers

There’s this and this one is most disgusting:

Sexual predators pose as Uber and Lyft drivers and attack women leaving bars and clubs, police say
Authorities said they are dealing with a string of sexual assault cases in which attackers pretend to be drivers to lure women into their vehicles. When customers call for an Uber or Lyft, they might not pay attention to the type of vehicle the service is sending and end up jumping into the first car that pulls over for them, they said.

"These predators drive in areas where there are nightclubs and they prey on intoxicated victims or people they perceived to be intoxicated," Los Angeles police Homicide Capt. Bill Hayes said. "Did they call an Uber? the predator will ask. And when the victim jumps into the vehicle, they don't realize that is not the one they called."
It’s really quite common, there’s endless articles.

His disorganization makes me think he was on drugs & has some addiction issues. I hope I’m wrong as I’d hate to see him get leniency under the “I didn’t know what I was doing” defense.
Samantha should be home, preparing for not far off finals, graduation, moving to attend Drexel, interning for United Nations (perhaps), but because of the murderer her goals will never be met.

Trust me. In SC, with these types of crimes, there is no “I didn’t know what I was doing” defense. Which is OK with me.

Maybe it is safer for college student to go back to a designated driver from their group of friends.
Faux ride share drivers are nation wide.
Or maybe using well marked taxi service is a better option.
Moo

Maybe he will try for the "I didn't know what I was doing" however he was cognizant enough to drive a vehicle in the moment so good luck with that. IMO. I just got caught up. What a tragic loss of a lovely young lady. So very sad.

Uber Safety Tips | Beware of Fake Uber Drivers

There’s this and this one is most disgusting:

Sexual predators pose as Uber and Lyft drivers and attack women leaving bars and clubs, police say
Authorities said they are dealing with a string of sexual assault cases in which attackers pretend to be drivers to lure women into their vehicles. When customers call for an Uber or Lyft, they might not pay attention to the type of vehicle the service is sending and end up jumping into the first car that pulls over for them, they said.

"These predators drive in areas where there are nightclubs and they prey on intoxicated victims or people they perceived to be intoxicated," Los Angeles police Homicide Capt. Bill Hayes said. "Did they call an Uber? the predator will ask. And when the victim jumps into the vehicle, they don't realize that is not the one they called."
It’s really quite common, there’s endless articles.

We haven't heard that there were sexual assaults of this type being reported in the USC area.

I think Rowlands has been stalking women before just like the article describes, but this is the first time the kidnapping actually became successful. I'll bet he's pulled this drive into that same handicapped spot but the woman has recogized it wasnt her Uber and refused an "invitation"

Self-defense classes need to be taught to elementary school girls and then repeated in high schools too. Basic self-defense principles - Sadly, about not letting your guard down even though there are 40 people not 10 feet from you. And then reiterated in college. Every sorority needs to make a big deal about safe practices, especially when out at drinking establishments

And maybe women out together at a bar need to watch out for each other and stand by and check the vehicle matches the Uber description - even taking a photo of the license and driver before the friend enters the vehicle. Her destination was really only about a 5 minute ride away

Last edited:
I watched the 21 second video of her getting picked up by the car around 30 times. I have extremely good vision. I also slowed it down frame by frame and enlarged it. Without a doubt in my mind, there is a female passenger in the front seat of the Impala when Samantha gets in. If I had to guess, it is probably the same female riding around with him in the same area at 3AM the following night with Samantha's blood all over the inside of the car.

Maybe he will try for the "I didn't know what I was doing" however he was cognizant enough to drive a vehicle in the moment so good luck with that. IMO. I just got caught up. What a tragic loss of a lovely young lady. So very sad.

Horribly sad.
I’m thinking of what a clever attorney might use for defense, if this goes to trial.

I watched the 21 second video of her getting picked up by the car around 30 times. I have extremely good vision. I also slowed it down frame by frame and enlarged it. Without a doubt in my mind, there is a female passenger in the front seat of the Impala when Samantha gets in. If I had to guess, it is probably the same female riding around with him in the same area at 3AM the following night with Samantha's blood all over the inside of the car.

I can’t see her. Can you screenshot your enhanced image?

Horribly sad.
I’m thinking of what a clever attorney might use for defense, if this goes to trial.
It would likely be a matter of saving him from the death penalty.

It’s early, but I think it’s probable that this ends in a plea deal anyways (LWOP in lieu of the DP).

The evidence is overwhelming, and this guy knew what he was doing (rouse, child locks), and knew what he did was wrong (hence the foot chase).

No insanity defense here.

Slam dunk.

It would likely be a matter of saving him from the death penalty.

It’s early, but I think it’s probable that this ends in a plea deal anyways (LWOP in lieu of the DP).

The evidence is overwhelming, and this guy knew what he was doing, and knew what he was doing was wrong (hence the foot chase).

No insanity defense here.

Slam dunk.

Hope he gets the DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads