GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
.... And apparently their app. Someone posted that the app doesn't always show information in real time. That is not good. Have you experienced that?

Yes. That person said it is issues with the app. I however learned of another reason.

From someone who knows, I was recently told that there is an app that some drivers use for instance to show they are sitting with their car awaiting a request for a ride for instance near the mall. They are actually at home (or somewhere else) eating, napping, watching TV. They put in their location elsewhere however so that they are offered the most fares or best fares, etc. because they are in the right "location". If I understood it correctly it scams the GPS. Our last three Uber rides are now explained by this and it makes perfect sense what we watched occur as the car was apparently on its way to us. It was wacky. It took an hour for someone just a couple of miles away on one occasion. It showed him within blocks of us which should have taken minutes at one point and took another half hour. When it finally showed him arriving, he still did not for another 7 to 8 minutes (when it showed him there and we were outside looking for him). Just ONE example. This is not Uber, this is the drivers fooling their employer, Uber, and fooling the customer.

I am not saying this happened here and this is not Uber's fault and the victim could have taken more precaution but I have done just as she did without checking but never have gotten in a wrong car thankfully, it is the perp's evil fault. I do however, wonder, because this was the second time SJ thought her car had arrived and that a car was her Uber. Was the app showing her driver had arrived?

Just so people are aware. Our first few Uber rides were impressive and quick. Our last three have been like I stated above. The very last one we canceled after more than an hour when it was said he was 8 minutes away when we scheduled him. It ruined the plans and we missed the event we were to attend.

I had never heard of this but yep. For every app there is a counter app I guess or a way around it or to alter it. I was also told some delivery type drivers do this as well.

I have to admit that I have not always used the identification safety measures that Uber has in place for the rider- the model and make of driver car, license number, and photo of the driver. I’ve cross-referenced a handful of times, but most of the time I just track where it’s coming from and then when it’s approaching I look and wave and wait for the driver to acknowledge me and pull over. Not super safe, I know. And you can bet I’ll be cross-referencing from here on out.

That said, I don’t understand why there is a need for more legislation to protect riders from “getting into the wrong car”. Uber already provides the model and make of car, license number and photo of the driver! It’s right there on your phone. It’s not hidden. It’s literally staring at you while you hold your phone waiting.

What more is necessary? Saying a name, a QR code, etc.... totally unnecessary to protect the rider IMO. JMO.

Lord knows SJ didn’t deserve to be murdered and it’s completely understandable how she would have just popped into the car she thought was her Uber (as I said, I’ve done this before). But I see no reason to add additional safety measures. I think awareness just needs to be raised to be sure people are indeed checking the make/model, license number and photo.

(Fwiw, I received an email from Uber last night reminding people to do just this)

All MOO.
Is someone going to have to get accidently hit by a car when they’re checking license plates? Maybe my experience finding Uber’s is different than a lot of peoples, but I do think they should come up with a better way. Especially in larger cities where there is a lot of traffic.

Yes. That person said it is issues with the app. I however learned of another reason.

From someone who knows, I was recently told that there is an app that some drivers use for instance to show they are sitting with their car awaiting a request for a ride for instance near the mall. They are actually at home (or somewhere else) eating, napping, watching TV. They put in their location elsewhere however so that they are offered the most fares or best fares, etc. because they are in the right "location". If I understood it correctly it scams the GPS. Our last three Uber rides are now explained by this and it makes perfect sense what we watched occur as the car was apparently on its way to us. It was wacky. It took an hour for someone just a couple of miles away on one occasion. It showed him within blocks of us which should have taken minutes at one point and took another half hour. When it finally showed him arriving, he still did not for another 7 to 8 minutes (when it showed him there and we were outside looking for him). Just ONE example. This is not Uber, this is the drivers fooling their employer, Uber, and fooling the customer.

I am not saying this happened here and this is not Uber's fault and the victim could have taken more precaution but I have done just as she did without checking but never have gotten in a wrong car thankfully, it is the perp's evil fault. I do however, wonder, because this was the second time SJ thought her car had arrived and that a car was her Uber. Was the app showing her driver had arrived?

Just so people are aware. Our first few Uber rides were impressive and quick. Our last three have been like I stated above. The very last one we canceled after more than an hour when it was said he was 8 minutes away when we scheduled him. It ruined the plans and we missed the event we were to attend.

I had never heard of this but yep. For every app there is a counter app I guess or a way around it or to alter it. I was also told some delivery type drivers do this as well.
Yes, this is scary. And I, too, have wondered if this is what happened in SJ's case since she apparently got into the wrong car right before that. She was probably flustered. It happens. This is the reason I feel upgrades need to be done. Of course, sadly, anything can potentially be manipulated. I honestly don't have a fool-proof answer, nor do I see where one can be implemented. ETA: .you can't fix evilness.

Last edited:
Yes, this is scary. And I, too, have wondered if this is what happened in SJ's case since she apparently got into the wrong car right before that. She was probably flustered. It happens. This is the reason I feel upgrades need to be done. Of course, sadly, anything can potentially be manipulated. I honestly don't have a fool-proof answer, nor do I see where one can be implemented. ETA: .you can't fix evilness.

Are we SURE she got into the wrong vehicle prior to getting into Rowlands’?

Surely there would be the same security camera footage of that. And, if so, I wonder if we could pick out NR’s vehicle in THAT tape?

From what i have read in other articles, it was stated seconds before entering the Impala, she tried entering another vehicle. I am pretty sure I read it more than once too. I may be guilty of believing everything I read.

I thought I had read something, too, that inferred that, but we didn’t have specific confirmation by LE or security cam video or other witnesses

There
I thought I had read something, too, that inferred that, but we didn’t have specific confirmation by LE or security cam video or other witnesses
There hasn't been any updates. I Google this case daily. This tragedy has really affected me, as I have a daughter who attends college. It's my worst nightmare. I can't even imagine.

APR 5, 2019
Who killed Samantha Josephson? Suspect’s family, friends say cops have the wrong man
The family and friends of a 24-year-old Clarendon County man say he couldn’t have been responsible for kidnapping and killing Samantha Josephson.

Nathaniel David Rowland was “passed out” at a house party the night Josephson was abducted in Five Points, said Trey Elmore, a cousin who lives in Texas. Someone else had taken his car.

“I don’t believe it was him in the car,” Elmore told The State. “They only assumed that because he ran (when he was pulled over the next day).”

[...]

“He checked his pockets when he woke up … and he didn’t have his keys,” Henry Rowland told WACH Fox. “So he walked outside to try and find the vehicle. He found the vehicle, opened the door, saw his keys and saw all the blood in the vehicle.”

Rowland is being represented by Fielding Pringle, chief public defender for Richland and Kershaw counties. She declined to comment.

In the hours leading up to Josephson’s abduction, Rowland posted to Facebook about a dozen times. His final post that night — a comment about his basketball skills — came at 12:23 a.m., about 90 minutes before Josephson climbed into the Impala.

The very next post came at 5 p.m. the following day — an hour after two young hunters found Josephson’s body on a dirt road in Clarendon County. The post read, “I’ll love to do it (with you) but (I’ll be damned) if I can’t do it without (you).”

[...]

Prior to last week, the most serious crime Rowland had ever been accused of was selling a stolen Playstation 4 to a Columbia-area pawn shop in October, according to court records. That case is still pending in court. He was also fined for transporting alcohol in a motor vehicle in Sumter County, and received a handful of speeding and seat belt tickets in Richland, Lexington, Clarendon, Orangeburg and Sumter counties. But Rowland has no record of violent crime, and that leaves friends and family wondering how this could happen.

Rowland was enrolled at S.C. State from 2014 to 2017, according to Sonja Bennett-Bellamy, vice president for institutional advancement and external affairs. The school has had no association with Rowland since 2017, and he did not graduate, Bennett-Bellamy said.

[...]

There

There hasn't been any updates. I Google this case daily. This tragedy has really affected me, as I have a daughter who attends college. It's my worst nightmare. I can't even imagine.

I know. This case preys on my mind.

I just want to know how this happened and why?

What was going on with NR to do this to her?

APR 5, 2019
Who killed Samantha Josephson? Suspect’s family, friends say cops have the wrong man
The family and friends of a 24-year-old Clarendon County man say he couldn’t have been responsible for kidnapping and killing Samantha Josephson.

Nathaniel David Rowland was “passed out” at a house party the night Josephson was abducted in Five Points, said Trey Elmore, a cousin who lives in Texas. Someone else had taken his car.

“I don’t believe it was him in the car,” Elmore told The State. “They only assumed that because he ran (when he was pulled over the next day).”

[...]

I think LE will be able to easily prove whether NR was the attacker or not.

Nice that his cousin who lives in Texas believes him but, unless Trey is willing to swear under oath about the party where NR claims he was that night, this is just all BS and likely the build-up to his attorney’s defense strategy.

Nice that his cousin who lives in Texas believes him but, unless Trey is willing to swear under oath about the party where NR claims he was that night, this is just all BS and likely the build-up to his attorney’s defense strategy.
I couldn't agree more. MOO

I totally agree. I do not think there is a fool proof answer. Evil will exist and evil people will find their ways. We can only do our best.

This GPS manipulation bothers me. I get some may think it is harmless and buys them time and lets them be home rather than sitting idle in their car waiting somewhere, when they are an additional ten minutes and, in some cases, much farther away, but the app is manipulated to show they are closer, people think their car is in sight.

I did not mention our third time which I am now sure was the same thing and we called and claimed to be at our address and the app showed he was as well. He was not. Yet for various reasons I will not bore everyone with, I now am sure he was buying time as well.

In no way do all probably do this and we have had some impressive Uber drivers, quick response and awesome experiences but not our last three times.

Our local "traditional" cab company will not even sometimes guarantee a time if they are busy. Uber was better in the beginning because their app would show the amount of time you would have to wait for your driver. This seemed like a major improvement until we started waiting 5 times at minimum from what the app shows when you book the driver. Our local company will also let you wait inside and if you do not see the cab arrive, they will call you to come out, they do not just take off because you are not outside your home or the club.

I do wonder if there is any record of her calling to see where her driver was and/or what the GPS showed and if it showed her driver was there.

From what i have read in other articles, it was stated seconds before entering the Impala, she tried entering another vehicle. I am pretty sure I read it more than once too. I may be guilty of believing everything I read.

Are we SURE she got into the wrong vehicle prior to getting into Rowlands’?

Surely there would be the same security camera footage of that. And, if so, I wonder if we could pick out NR’s vehicle in THAT tape?

The first one was allegedly a true Uber she tried to get into and found out it was not there for her. I am pretty sure this came from a family member's actual statements and not from media getting something wrong.

As for security footage, I am pretty sure we do not have all of that by a long shot. They never seem to provide us with all of it in most cases.

jmo.

One can assume probably correctly that anyone in Texas has no firsthand knowledge and it is simply the same story he has heard that he told his parents or friends.

I will say though from just reading this thread (because I have not been on FB), I was under the impression he facebook messaged in the wee hours after having picked her up. What is stated above says it was before and then not until 5 p.m. the next day after. One thing that negated his story was that many of us have said he could not have been passed out if he was posting on FB but there is quite a gap there.

What is true as to the time of his posts there because that is a far different time frame than I had read previously.

One can assume probably correctly that anyone in Texas has no firsthand knowledge and it is simply the same story he has heard that he told his parents or friends.

I will say though from just reading this thread (because I have not been on FB), I was under the impression he facebook messaged in the wee hours after having picked her up. What is stated above says it was before and then not until 5 p.m. the next day after. One thing that negated his story was that many of us have said he could not have been passed out if he was posting on FB but there is quite a gap there.

What is true as to the time of his posts there because that is a far different time frame than I had read previously.

NR facebooked about picking up SJ?

I had not read this. I am confused. This would clearly place SJ and NR together, wherease the family (including cousing Trey) are alleging NR was passed out at a party and someone else was in the car that picked up SJ.

I am confused. Someone please clarify

I had not read this. I am confused. This would clearly place SJ and NR together, wherease the family (including cousing Trey) are alleging NR was passed out at a party and someone else was in the car that picked up SJ.

Nathaniel Rowland: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

After Josephson Went Missing, Rowland Wrote on His Facebook Page: ‘It’s Only One ME. I Just Make it Look Easy’

nathaniel-rowland-2.jpg

Facebook/Nathaniel Rowland

The timestamp is the important bit - the messages could be about anyone or anything.

I think someone already answered but to clarify what I meant which I probably did not put clearly, it was about the fact he was posting messages on FB likely shortly after his time with abducting her and killing her. They were cryptic messages in some respects but my point was more that you don't post on FB if you are "passed out" as his parents and cousin, etc. say.

I think someone already answered but to clarify what I meant which I probably did not put clearly, it was about the fact he was posting messages on FB likely shortly after his time with abducting her and killing her. They were cryptic messages in some respects but my point was more that you don't post on FB if you are "passed out" as his parents and cousin, etc. say.

I believe this may be mistaken. I see that he posted a few times beforehand, up until 12:23 AM. The video of her getting into the car was at 2:09 AM. Then the next post was at 5:09 PM.

OK thanks for explaining. I remember he did post those obscure statements on FB. I wonder if LE will be able to tell where he was when he posted.

There

Same for me. I’ve been away from
WS since Casey Anthony was acquitted.

My daughter attends school at USC. It’s unfathomable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back