GUILTY SC - Vinson Filyaw for abducting, holding 14yo girl captive, Lugoff, 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
mocity said:
I am curious why someone would kidnap a person but then leave their cell phone with them. Couldn't she easily have called someone?
He's out of touch with the eletronic sophistication of today's kids?? He's not mentally sharp enough to stay "organized"??? That bunker isn't exactly a work of art, pretty crude. His photo makes him look way older than 36 yo. I'm thinking this guy has lived rough and hard and isn't the brightest crayon in the box, but is just clever enough to have managed to elude LE. I hope SLED can crack him and they'll find out all his secrets. I so hate it when families never know what's happened to their loved ones and I'm betting this guy can be linked to more than these two cases.

mocity said:
I am curious why someone would kidnap a person but then leave their cell phone with them. Couldn't she easily have called someone?
On the radio newscast I heard this morning, the fellow had fallen asleep, that is when the girl was able to text her mom. It was not her phone, it was his phone if I understood correctly.

The man accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and holding her in a booby-trapped bunker shows no remorse and is not cooperating with police, the Kershaw County sheriff said Monday.

Vinson Fiylaw, 36, was captured by police while walking Sunday morning along Interstate 20 near Columbia, South Carolina.

He faces charges that he impersonated a police officer to lure Elizabeth Shoaf, 14, to the bunker, where he allegedly kept her captive for 10 days.

Elizabeth was rescued after she sent a text message to her mother, using her alleged captor's phone after he fell asleep.

Entire Article

This morning I heard the account of the cell call to the mom. She wrote she was in a hole near some specific hill and she could hear the trucks going in and out {the bunker was right near a rock quarry}.

The perp woke up as she finished her text message, and he asked what she was doing. She told him she was just playing!

Such a brave little girl. Heck, I don't think I'd have the nerve to reach into a man's pocket to get his cellie in that situation. My arm would be like it was stuck and not be able to move forward! LOL

Scandi

scandi said:
This morning I heard the account of the cell call to the mom. She wrote she was in a hole near some specific hill and she could hear the trucks going in and out {the bunker was right near a rock quarry}.

The perp woke up as she finished her text message, and he asked what she was doing. She told him she was just playing!

Such a brave little girl. Heck, I don't think I'd have the nerve to reach into a man's pocket to get his cellie in that situation. My arm would be like it was stuck and not be able to move forward! LOL

Scandi
You're right. What a smart, savvy young woman. I am saddened at her assault, but so grateful that she got out alive!

UN FREAKING BELIEVEABLE.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060919/ap_on_re_us/text_message_rescue

here's 3 women that need to be flogged in the town square:
the mother who helped her pervert of a son elude police
the despicable girlfriend who did the same
the lady who DID NOTHING when her daughter told her a man molested her in their OWN HOME- after being grabbed from out of the SAME BED that they were both sleeping in!!!

Mother of man in kidnap case arrested

By MEG KINNARD, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 18 minutes ago

CAMDEN, S.C. - The mother of a man accused of abducting and assaulting a 14-year-old girl who eventually was able to send a text message for help was charged Tuesday with helping her son elude authorities and survive in underground bunkers, a sheriff said.
The man, Vinson Filyaw, 36, was charged this weekend with kidnapping and raping a 14-year-old girl and holding her in an underground bunker. She was rescued Saturday.

On Tuesday, Sheriff Steve McCaskill said Filyaw's mother, 55-year-old Ginger Nell Cobb, was arrested after police learned she was working with Filyaw's common-law wife to provide him food, water and other supplies.

Filyaw's common-law wife, Cynthia Hall, was arrested last week.

Police had been looking for Filyaw since November, when an arrest warrant was issued in the sexual assault of a 12-year-old girl. But he used an elaborate system of bunkers in the woods near his home to elude authorities and survived on supplies he received from the two women, the sheriff said.

Cobb would bring the items to Hall, who would then leave them for Filyaw to retrieve from an abandoned vehicle near his bunkers, McCaskill said.

"He would come out of the woods and get it ... at night or whenever," the sheriff said.

Cobb would not answer questions as she left the sheriff's office Tuesday. She was being held in jail, and a bond hearing was scheduled for Wednesday.

Filyaw was captured early Sunday and was being held at the county jail without bond. He also faces charges of possession of an incendiary device and impersonating an officer.

Police say Filyaw, wearing a shirt with the image of a sheriff's badge on it, abducted the girl as she walked home from a school bus stop Sept. 6. The teen was found 10 days later in a booby-trapped, roughly 8-foot-deep hole carved out of the side of a hill.

Authorities said the girl sent a text message to her mother on her captor's cell phone as he slept: "Hi mom," it read. "I'm in a hole across from Charm Hill where the big trucks go in and out. There's a bomb. Call police."

According to an incident report released Tuesday in the suspected November assault on the 12-year-old girl, Filyaw woke the girl, who was sleeping in the same bed as her mother, and threatened to hurt the mother if she said anything. He then took the girl to another room and sexually assaulted her, the report said.

The girl said she told her mother about the incidents, but nothing happened, according to the report. Authorities were alerted when the girl told a school guidance counselor.

It was unclear Tuesday whether Vinson Filyaw had been assigned a public defender.

I'll be his public defender:furious: Course, he may never see daylight again. :D

Yeah, and the women need a flogging, I agree.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2007/0917/kidnap_ap.html
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A year after he was taken into custody, a man goes on trial this week on charges he held a 14-year-old girl captive in an underground bunker until she summoned help with a cell phone text message.
Pretrial publicity prompted the judge to move the trial of Vinson Filyaw nearly 200 miles, from Kershaw County northeast of Columbia to the state's southern tip. The case gained national attention when the girl saved herself after being held more than a week.
Jury selection was to begin Monday after the court handles some pretrial issues. Filyaw, who has been held without bail, faces 10 counts of criminal sexual conduct, which each carry a potential sentence of up to 30 years in prison. He also is charged with kidnapping, impersonating an officer and possession of an incendiary device.
The cavity, covered with plywood and leaves, contained a hand-dug privy, a camp stove and crude shelves fashioned out of branches and canvas. Authorities said Filyaw, 37, brought the girl there after dressing up as a police officer and leading her away from a school bus stop.
The girl waited until Filyaw fell asleep, then used his cell phone to text message her mother.
"Hi mom," the message read. "I'm in a hole across from Charm Hill where the big trucks go in and out. There's a bomb. Call police."
Investigators found the girl early on Sept. 16, 2006. The cell phone signal and her reference to "big trucks" led them to the wooded area near a quarry, less than a mile from her home. Once in the area, they heard her cries.
Early the next morning, authorities located Filyaw walking along a highway. He was carrying a pellet gun, a Taser and a hunting knife but surrendered when confronted.
Family members have said the 14-year-old _ described by her mother as "a very strong girl" _ has worked toward a normal life. The Associated Press normally does not identify people alleging sexual assault.
Both defense and prosecutors agreed to have the trial moved to Beaufort County because of the intense publicity. Filyaw attorney Jack Duncan declined to speak with a reporter ahead of the trial.
At the time of his arrest, Filyaw was already being sought in connection with abuse of a 12-year-old girl. Authorities have said that charge in late 2005 had led Filyaw, an unemployed construction worker, to build an elaborate series of tunnels and hideouts.
Filyaw's girlfriend, Cynthia Hall, and his mother, Ginger Nell Cobb, have been charged with helping him elude authorities. Hall also has been charged as an accessory in the case involving the 12-year-old.

Hope be dies a painful, tortured death before his trial begins.
That will save the state a lot of money.

WLTX) - Over the last year, behind bars, 37-year-old Vinson Filyaw has been busy writing a story some never thought they'd get to hear.

and

Late last year, Filyaw began corresponding with News19's Ashley Yarchin. Now, we're presenting his statements for the first time.

The correspondence began when Filyaw was appointed an attorney. Yarchin called his lawyer, offering Filyaw a chance to speak. In response, the attorney told Filyaw of her interest. Yarchin then began receiving writings from the suspect.

In all, five letters and a detailed manuscript were sent to News19. With those documents, we now have a better understanding of what Filyaw says happened last September.

~much more at link~

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=53659&provider=top

From the link I just posted:
Filyaw says that when deputies deemed the missing girl a runaway, he had won. "My hostage, however, became more depressed because now she knew nobody was looking for her."

As days passed, he wrote that the two fell into a routine, leaving the bunker daily to clean clothes, collect water and converse. But he said beyond the first day, rape was never mentioned as part of that plan. "She told me she was bored and asked if she could play on my cell phone. I thought about it for a moment. She had done good outside, and I knew the phone didn't work inside the bunker so I finally agreed."

It was a week after the girl's kidnapping that that decision revealed the route to her escape.

"After a year of careful, meticulous planning, I had let her win. I literally gave her the phone to call the police. It was as simple as that. I couldn't be mad at her. She had done what any person in her situation would have done and probably better! She had won my trust and defeated me!"

http://www.bakersfield.com/899/story/237858.html

On Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2007, attorneys discussed with Judge G. Thomas Cooper a number of issues, including a subpoena asking that Columbia television station WLTX turn over any and all materials it may have received from the defendant. The trial starts on Monday, Sept. 17.

Filyaw wrote that he grabbed his backpack and rifle and opened the door. Hours later, the little girl was rescued. That happened as Filyaw hiked his way past police, down Spears Creek Church Road toward Interstate 20, where he says he surrendered. "If I gave up, I would have full medical coverage, three meals a day, and never have to work again. I stood there for a minute thinking, then...I lit a cigarette and walked over to the side of the interstate. I had made my decision."
i hope he finds GP less acomadating than he expects...

http://www.courttv.com/news/2007/0918/kidnap_ap.html
BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) — A man accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her in an underground bunker pleaded guilty Tuesday, moments before his trial was to begin.
The girl was rescued after more than a week when she talked her abductor into letting her play games on his cell phone and instead sent a text message for help.
Vinson Filyaw, 37, stood in court Tuesday with his arms clasped behind him as he quietly answered "Yes sir" when the judge asked him if he was freely pleading to the charges. The victim sat with family members, her mother's arm around her.
Filyaw could spend the rest of his life in prison. He pleaded guilty to kidnapping and all 10 counts of criminal sexual conduct, one for each day prosecutors said he held the girl captive a year ago in Kershaw County. Each criminal sexual conduct charge carries a sentence of up to 30 years in prison.
He also pleaded guilty to impersonating an officer and possession of an incendiary device.

Each charge carries a max. 30 years?! I hope the judge gives the max to him on all and puts him away FOREVER.

Let's hope that this creep gets everything that he has coming to him and that there is no plea deals or anything else. He really thought he was smart but that little girl sure did outsmart him. He certainly is creepy. I hope the girl heals in every way after the ordeal that she went through.

A man who pleaded guilty to kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her for more than a week in an underground bunker was sentenced Wednesday to the maximum 421 years in prison.

"I have a strong belief you have forfeited your right to be a member of this society," Judge G. Thomas Cooper said before handing down the sentence. "I can think of no crimes short of murder more repulsive than these."

Vinson Filyaw pleaded guilty Tuesday, moments before his trial, to charges of kidnapping and 10 counts of criminal sexual conduct, one for each day prosecutors said he held the girl captive a year ago in Kershaw County.

The teen was rescued after she got hold of Filyaw's cell phone and sent a text message for help.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297362,00.html

A man who pleaded guilty to kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her for more than a week in an underground bunker was sentenced Wednesday to the maximum 421 years in prison.

"I have a strong belief you have forfeited your right to be a member of this society," Judge G. Thomas Cooper said before handing down the sentence. "I can think of no crimes short of murder more repulsive than these."

BEAUFORT, S.C. — A man who pleaded guilty to kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her for more than a week in an underground bunker was sentenced Wednesday to the maximum 421 years in prison.
Vinson Filyaw pleaded guilty Tuesday, moments before his trial, to charges of kidnapping and 10 counts of criminal sexual conduct, one for each day prosecutors said he held the girl captive a year ago in Kershaw County.
The teen was rescued after she got hold of Filyaw's cell phone and sent a text message for help"

Way to go judge!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Its about friggin time we stopped coddling these pedos and started gettting serious with the penalties.

Drat you beat me by seconds! Great minds think alike.:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc