SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am watching CNN's coverage of this incident and as usual they are omitting facts that do not fit with their narrative. Not being reported is the fact that the officers partner is African American. CNN is obscuring the video so this is not obvious.

Here is an unedited copy of the video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a34_1428447128

If in fact the white officer planted the taser next to the decedent he would have had to do this right in front of his AA partner (who is immediately on the scene).

What I notice from the beginning of the video is that there appears to have been a struggle over a weapon as we can see what appears to be a taser being thrown to the ground.

It doesn't have to be a race thing to make it a police brutality thing.

BBM

3202d77f.gif

Summey and the city’s chief of police announced at a news conference that Slager, 33, would be charged and arrested. Slager, who has been fired, was arrested by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the agency investigating the shooting, and booked into the Charleston County jail shortly before 6 p.m. on Tuesday. He faces a possible death sentence or life in prison.

[...]

Slager told the dispatcher, “Shots fired and the subject is down, he took my Taser,” according to the portion of the report filled out by another officer who relayed what he heard.

The video shows Slager picking up an item and placing it near Scott, though it is unclear if this is the Taser or something else. Police later said that Scott was hit with the Taser at least once, because part of it was still attached to him when other officers arrived on the scene. But city officials said that Scott was clearly too far away to use a Taser if he did have it.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Good. Hope he gets LWOP.

Not a death penalty proponent. But I am really sick of this crap and thank GOODNESS it was all caught on tape so nobody in their right mind can say this was a justified killing.

How many times has this happened without the benefit of a camera?

C

Thank you for posting this. I listened to the audio and you can hear the adrenaline rush in Slager's voice; all cotton mouthy. From the video, Slager's did nothing to assist Scott once he shot him other than handcuff him. Mr. Scott was face down in the ground. Slager's checks for a pulse. Nothing. The next officer that arrived on scene checked for a carotid pulse, yet no CPR was initiated. What is LE protocol once you shoot someone? Are they not required to render first aid?

North Charleston is um, a little different than some more metro cities. I lived in Summerville (basically No Chas/Ladson) for several years. Let us just say I am glad not to have been a minority while there.

RSBM ??? We don't even know what his actions were before the officer deployed his taser. Tasers can cause a fight or flight reflex, so to say the victim's actions escalated this is premature. JMO

We do know that Scott had resisted arrest by fleeing the officer. The struggle on the ground amounts to an assault on the officer so he committed two crimes before the officer deployed his taser.

Earlier today, I found this article which was written about the shooting BEFORE the video was known about and made public.

It is based on the retelling of the Saturday incident by the original attorney for the officer.

Attorney: North Charleston police officer felt threatened before fatal shooting

The Post and Courier
By Andrew Knapp
Apr 6 2015 1:09 pm

"A North Charleston police officer felt threatened last weekend when the driver he had stopped for a broken brake light tried to overpower him and take his Taser.

That’s why Patrolman 1st Class Michael Thomas Slager, a former Coast Guardsman, fatally shot the man, the officer’s attorney said Monday."

"The authorities have not said whether anyone else saw Slager’s struggle with Scott.

No one called Charleston County’s 911 Center after the gunfire, and Slager’s communications with dispatchers will not be made public until SLED approves it, county spokeswoman Natalie Hauff said.

SLED spokesman Thom Berry said prosecutors also would have to review the recordings and be “agreeable and amenable” to their release."

"Around 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Slager noticed a Mercedes-Benz sedan with a brake light that was “out and not working,” the police spokesman said. He stopped his cruiser behind the sedan that had pulled into Advance Auto Parts at 1945 Remount Road.

“What started out as a routine traffic stop quickly escalated after the driver fled,” Slager’s attorney said.

Scott ran down Craig Road, which parallels the store’s parking lot and stretches southward toward the Singing Pines community. A passenger in his car stayed put.

Slager told other officers through his radio that he had gotten into a foot chase, according to the report. The police have not given details about the confrontation that followed behind the Mega Pawn shop at 5654 Rivers Ave.

But with other officers on the way to help, Slager announced on his radio that he had “deployed” his Taser, according to the report. But it didn’t work.

The statement from Slager’s attorney, though, did not say that Slager actually fired the device. Aylor said he could not offer further clarification until the officer talks with investigators.

“When confronted, Officer Slager reached for his Taser — as trained by the department — and then a struggle ensued,” Aylor said. “The driver tried to overpower Officer Slager in an effort to take his Taser.”"​

There is more, you'll have to read it.

Some of it is material that the more national media is just now reporting on, like Slager's prior history with a taser.

Well, as we all know, all a cop has to do is say he "felt threatened".

My prediction, even with the horrific video, is that he will get off. And riots in Charleston will ensue. And I will understand their anger 100%. But it won't matter because the officer claims he "felt threatened".

And with that I will excuse myself. Sorry if I made anyone angry. I, myself, am very angry.

This crap never ends.

We do know that Scott had resisted arrest by fleeing the officer. The struggle on the ground amounts to an assault on the officer so he committed two crimes before the officer deployed his taser.

Yet we don't know if the officer committed any crimes before he deployed his taser. :twocents:
What if the officer started the altercation? What if he punched the victim?
Normally I would find it absurd to suggest such a thing...
But since he shot a fleeing man in the back? I find nothing too absurd to suggest.

And so it goes.

This was a murder. He gunned down an unarmed man and it is on VIDEO an yes, I KNEW it. Someone would say he deserved it.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wa...just-one-bullet-away-becoming-hashtag-n338111

Last Saturday, an unarmed black man named Walter Scott was shot 8 times in the back by a white police officer. Cause of death: driving while black with a broken taillight. Officer Michael Slager unloaded his weapon 8 times until Scott fell to the ground. He reported the incident stating, "Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser."

So, this is not from a different case. It is from this case. Officer claimed Scott took his taser.

Well, as we all know, all a cop has to do is say he "felt threatened".

My prediction, even with the horrific video, is that he will get off. And riots in Charleston will ensue. And I will understand their anger 100%. But it won't matter because the officer claims he "felt threatened".

And with that I will excuse myself. Sorry if I made anyone angry. I, myself, am very angry.

This crap never ends.

I'm holding out hope. They acted swiftly in firing and charging him, so hopefully the justice system will do right by Mr. Scott.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wa...just-one-bullet-away-becoming-hashtag-n338111

So, this is not from a different case. It is from this case. Officer claimed Scott took his taser.

Yes, he claimed the victim TOOK his taser in THIS CASE.
Many think he then planted the taser next to the victim in the video.

The other case was the 73 year old deputy who meant to DEPLOY his taser and shot the suspect instead... killing him.
Make sense? It's linked above. :seeya:

I'm holding out hope. They acted swiftly in firing and charging him, so hopefully the justice system will do right by Mr. Scott.

You and me both. Thank you. I hate being so defeatist. But man, you really get that way when you read story after story....

Thanks again, Tawny! Nice to see a positive outlook!

Can we please leave the other case out of it? Isn't there another thread for the other case?

We are trying to clear up the confusion, because people keep thinking the two cases are the same.
A mod would have to clean up the thread at this point and remove all references to the other case.
And as far as I know, there is not a thread for the other case.

People reading the entire thread from start to finish would also eliminate the confusion.
I cleared it up quickly after it was initially mentioned.

I think there are going to be about eight other officers who are going to be getting their own attornies and clamoring to restate or rewrite their initial reports on the incident.

Even if Walter was in the wrong, I don't see how that justifies the shooting. Also, I think it was probably the officer who tackled him to the ground and I haven't read anything to suggest assault on an officer. I can't see any other reason for the shooting than the officer wanted to stop him running. He's been charged accordingly, imo.

You all know that AC360 is a two hour show tonight. It is still on and talking about the Scott case.

You all know that AC360 is a two hour show tonight. It is still on and talking about the Scott case.

Now, if I can get my DH to turn on the tv.... I am embarrassed I can't ever do it......is it on CNN OR HLN?

ETA:n/m..i did it MYSELF! It is on CNN! I am a bad mamma jamma.

and until we see it second by second, how do we know the Officer didn't drop it, thinking Mr. Scott took his taser.... Where it gets really good, you see the Officer going back and picking something up and then dropping it by Mr. Scott..... The Officer had the thought to cover his Arse!

Wow. It looks even clearer on tv. He totally planted the taser after the murder.

I saw it in a smaller screen on my ipad initially. And still I was :eek:

But now....wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members