SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little late to the game. I've been so fed up with officer involved shootings, non stop cop bashing, and race baitong I've just stopped reading it.
But last night I finally watched the video. And it doesn't really matter what Walter did. I mean I could of power walked and caught him.
It's just sad. That officer really creeped me out. The way he looked over after he shot. The was he yelled at Walter to put his hands behind his back when Walter to me apeared to be dead all ready. Its beyond him being a bad cop. He looked like a psychopath.

There is video of cops feeling for his pulse. Evidently he had one and so the next step was to apply pressure to his wounds because the blood was circulating but was pouring out of his wounds. CPR would have been a step only when his heart stopped circulating after the pressure was applied and we don't have video of every moment.

JMO

Apparently, in a police incident report a Sgt Gann mentions CPR being performed on Walter Scott. Some are saying that since we don't have video evidence of LE doing CPR that means that the police report is proof of a deliberate LE lie and perhaps a greater coverup.

I'm not convince of that yet.

It is a fault when you do something wrong like running from police. JMO.
well, sorry everyone can't be carbon copy perfect, but they don't deserve to be shot down dead! Not when the cop can easily turn in the name, address etc. and let somebody else go pick him up, if he's scared for his own life. I'd rather some guy's house be surrounded by cops and have him tear gassed out, than him getting shot down in the street. But, from what I've read, the cops wouldn't have wasted the manpower or money on this guy-even if that 'fancy' Mercedes Was stolen, like I've seen insinuated. moo

Apparently, in a police incident report a Sgt Gann mentions CPR being performed on Walter Scott. Some are saying that since we don't have video evidence of LE doing CPR that means that the police report is proof of a deliberate LE lie and perhaps a greater coverup.

I'm not convince of that yet.

It's not just the absence of it on video, it's the fact that two officers claimed in their reports another officer performed CPR. That officer, however, did not include performing CPR in their own report. There are serious concerns and questions regarding this claim and the possibility of them falsifying police reports.

http://youtu.be/LbsEoXRxdPw

If they scuffled over the taser, then the taser will have Scott's prints on it. He had the prongs sticking out of his leg. Dropping the taser next to Scott's body isn't evidence of a lie because the taser itself contained evidence. If the Officer was going to lie, he would have placed the taser in Scott's hand.

JMO

Picking up the taser from 25 or so feet away from the victim and then dropping it next to his dead body isn't honest. And actually whether it was in his hand or on the ground next to him really wouldn't have mattered. The fact that it was moved and the scene 'staged' is evidence which will not be good for the officer.

Also, fwiw, I think putting it in the victims hand would have been less believable than the victim having dropped it when shot.

It will be interesting to see how the experts break down the video frame by frame.

well, sorry everyone can't be carbon copy perfect, but they don't deserve to be shot down dead! Not when the cop can easily turn in the name, address etc. and let somebody else go pick him up, if he's scared for his own life. I'd rather some guy's house be surrounded by cops and have him tear gassed out, than him getting shot down in the street. But, from what I've read, the cops wouldn't have wasted the manpower or money on this guy-even if that 'fancy' Mercedes Was stolen, like I've seen insinuated. moo

I agree, simply running from a cop doesn't mean you deserve to be shot and killed. I'm not sure if I agree with the rest of your post. JMO.

It's not just the absence of it on video, it's the fact that two officers claimed in their reports another officer performed CPR. That officer, however, did not include performing CPR in their own report. There are serious concerns and questions regarding this claim and the possibility of them falsifying police reports.

http://youtu.be/LbsEoXRxdPw

I guess we will see later on if these other cops did falsify police reports. I'm not sure how doing CPR or not changes things greatly so I'd be surprised that an Officer would decide to use that in the purposely falsified report.

You would think they would lie about the Taser or something that would support their fellow officer and not CPR. JMO.

I agree. It should be a civil matter. However when the parents fail to pay it becomes the burden of the tax payer, and I don't want to pay for his kids. So then it becomes a criminal matter.

Guess that is why so many just don't get married, they avoid the whole "civil" problem and just soak as much out of the tax payers as they can.

A marriage license is so "old fashioned". Feeding and supporting your own offspring is also old fashioned, now you can have as many as you like and OTHER people can pay to feed/raise them.

The great American Dream.

People are responsible for child support whether they were married or not. The child still exists, so they owe support. One doesn't get a pass just because they're not married to the other parent.

I'm a little late to the game. I've been so fed up with officer involved shootings, non stop cop bashing, and race baitong I've just stopped reading it.
But last night I finally watched the video. And it doesn't really matter what Walter did. I mean I could of power walked and caught him.
It's just sad. That officer really creeped me out. The way he looked over after he shot. The was he yelled at Walter to put his hands behind his back when Walter to me apeared to be dead all ready. Its beyond him being a bad cop. He looked like a psychopath.
I almost didn't watch the video for the same reasons, but when I did, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Slager was so close, it almost looked like he could reach out and touch Scott. And to call what that man was doing, 'running', is unfair to the word running. He was lumbering like a dazed 50 year old who had just been tazed. And it looked like the most half hearted attempt at escape, that I can imagine! He wasn't going anywhere and knew it. all my opinion, but I was so creeped out by this cop. The whole thing was surreal and flat...like Idk what, because I don't have anything to compare it to. Not like a hunter shooting a deer or target practice because those create some emotion, but more like the emotionally flat kid who has been playing a violent video game for hours and just killed the main target, and then looks around to make sure no one saw him cheating, and then he gets up for a soda before starting a new game. That's close to how this video affected me. Not saying this is how it was, just how it affected ME. all moo

People are responsible for child support whether they were married or not. The child still exists, so they owe support. One doesn't get a pass just because they're not married to the other parent.

I'm not sure how this relates to this case other than Walter Scott owed back child support and that resulted in him having a warrant for his arrest. JMO.

Walter Scott shot dead as his back is turned to officer and he is walking away. Then you have James Holmes, who killed 12 people, will be getting a trial.

NBC says there was a warrant for his arrest, the AP says there was not.
Not that is really matters because I believe Walter thought there WAS a warrant.
However, it would be nice if they could just get that fact right. :twocents:

There is a lot of discussion on whether Scott did wrong. He did something to draw the attention of the officers yes. Whether it was a broken taillight or even if they were suspicious of ownership of the vehicle. That isn't in question.
He ran from police, that isn't in question. Maybe it is understandable to some, but from reading here I don't see anyone
really defending that action. The family has said he owed child support. And maybe there was a warrant on him or maybe he just thought there might be a warrant. Those things aren't in question. Maybe they weren't smart, but do they really justify shooting him? The fact is he did run. Not the first time someone has run from police, won't be the last one. If runningfrom the law becomes justification for shooting, be very afraid for the kids who go out pranking on Halloween.

IMO the question is not whether he did anything wrong. The question is was the shooting justified. I want to give the officer the benefit of the doubt. I want to see a reason that could have made the officer believe tbe shooting
was justified. But he shot him multiple times in the back. Scott wasn't in close contact. And he shot him in the back. He stopped running, took aim on Scott's back and began firing.

Walter Scott shot dead as his back is turned to officer and he is walking away. Then you have James Holmes, who killed 12 people, will be getting a trial.

I guess your saying that things just aren't fair? If I'm understanding you wrong let me know.

Good Point. LEO would have no way of knowing if the public in his path was in danger. The officer also wouldn't know if Scott was mentally ill, on drugs or anything else that could make him a danger to the public.

JMO

So probably they should shoot every person they see, in order to avoid danger.

Okay. EMS determines that and they showed up after the LE officers attempted first aid of some kind. Personally, I don't think LE did anything wrong with not doing CPR until I see something that changes my mind.

The issue isn't the appropriateness of performing CPR or First Aid. The issue is that the officer's report stated he performed CPR on the dead man, which he did not. Therefore, he lied in his official report if I am understanding correctly.

There is a lot of discussion on whether Scott did wrong. He did something to draw the attention of the officers yes. Whether it was a broken taillight or even if they were suspicious of ownership of the vehicle. That isn't in question.
He ran from police, that isn't in question. Maybe it is understandable to some, but from reading here I don't see anyone
really defending that action. The family has said he owed child support. And maybe there was a warrant on him or maybe he just thought there might be a warrant. Those things aren't in question. Maybe they weren't smart, but do they really justify shooting him? The fact is he did run. Not the first time someone has run from police, won't be the last one. If runningfrom the law becomes justification for shooting, be very afraid for the kids who go out pranking on Halloween.

IMO the question is not whether he did anything wrong. The question is was the shooting justified. I want to give the officer the benefit of the doubt. I want to see a reason that could have made the officer believe tbe shooting
was justified.
But he shot him multiple times in the back. Scott wasn't in close contact. And he shot him in the back. He stopped running, took aim on Scott's back and began firing.
BBM

I also want to give the Officer a benefit of doubt. So far, at least to me, it looks like he didn't have a reason to shoot Walter Scott.

Maybe when I hear Slager's side of the story or other witness's stories, I may change my mind.

JMO.

The issue isn't the appropriateness of performing CPR or First Aid. The issue is that the officer's report stated he performed CPR on the dead man, which he did not. Therefore, he lied in his official report if I am understanding correctly.

You'll see my point of view when you catch up in the thread. LOL.

I'm not sure how this relates to this case other than Walter Scott owed back child support and that resulted in him having a warrant for his arrest. JMO.

If you read the post I quoted within mine, you will understand the context of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leoa69