SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they scuffled over the taser, then the taser will have Scott's prints on it. He had the prongs sticking out of his leg. Dropping the taser next to Scott's body isn't evidence of a lie because the taser itself contained evidence. If the Officer was going to lie, he would have placed the taser in Scott's hand.
JMO

Respectfully disagreeing on conclusion - if Slager & Scott scuffled over it, taser would [definitely] have Scott's prints on it.
Maybe. Maybe not.
Sometimes forensic techs cannot match fingerprint data on an item (like Taser) to a person's fingerprints.
Sometimes smudged, incomplete, over-printed by others' prints, etc.

I follow the line of thinking - if LEO was 'planting' evd, he w/h/put taser in Scott's hand or verrry close by. Seems logical.

Scott's DNA on Taser? Seems logical. Maybe.

JM2cts.

I agree, simply running from a cop doesn't mean you deserve to be shot and killed. I'm not sure if I agree with the rest of your post. JMO.
I just meant that from what I've read about Scott, he didn't seem like the type of criminal that would warrant a bunch of attention or manpower-even with an 'escape' from arrest thrown into the charges. And imo, considering how small scale his crimes were, he surely didn't deserve to be gunned down in the street. That should only happen to the worst of the worst...

Respectfully disagreeing on conclusion - if Slager & Scott scuffled over it, taser would [definitely] have Scott's prints on it.
Maybe. Maybe not.
Sometimes forensic techs cannot match fingerprint data on an item (like Taser) to a person's fingerprints.
Sometimes smudged, incomplete, over-printed by others' prints, etc.

I follow the line of thinking - if LEO was 'planting' evd, he w/h/put taser in Scott's hand or verrry close by. Seems logical.

Scott's DNA on Taser? Seems logical. Maybe.

JM2cts.

I'd like to see if Scott's DNA or fingerprints were found on that Taser. At the same time if nothing of Scott's is found on it, it doesn't mean he didn't touch the Taser.

A defense attorney for Slager can claim that the Taser wasn't properly tested or handled and any evidence or lack of evidence obtained is suspect. JMO.

I just meant that from what I've read about Scott, he didn't seem like the type of criminal that would warrant a bunch of attention or manpower-even with an 'escape' from arrest thrown into the charges. And imo, considering how small scale his crimes were, he surely didn't deserve to be gunned down in the street. That should only happen to the worst of the worst...

I'm not sure that Officer Slager knew Scott's background when this went down. That's a problem when people run. The cop is going to expect the worst and react accordingly.

However, in this case the cop may have overreacted. JMO.

Officer 2 saw the guy with the camera en route to the scene. JMO - was not attempting to help officer 1 plant or cover up evidence. (Just watched on CNN.)

JMO

I just meant that from what I've read about Scott, he didn't seem like the type of criminal that would warrant a bunch of attention or manpower-even with an 'escape' from arrest thrown into the charges. And imo, considering how small scale his crimes were, he surely didn't deserve to be gunned down in the street.
That should only happen to the worst of the worst...
bbm

Who are the "worst of the worst" who "deserve to be gunned down in the streets?" These ppl?
-Ted Bundy? "confessed to 30 homicides committed in seven states between 1974 and 1978."*
-Gary Ridgway?......Green River Killer in WA; ............................... .1970s-90s;......convicted of 49 murders.
-Jeffrey Dahmer?....Milwaukee Cannibal in WI; .............................. 1970s-90s;......convicted of 16(?) murders.
-Dennis Rader?.......BTK, Bind, Torture, Kill-Murderer; Wichita KS; ...1970s-90s;.......convicted of 10 murders.

W this ^line of reasoning re when LEOs may gun them down in streets, it w/be only when ppl like these^
who have been convicted of multiple murders/felony murders/first degree murders, spanning ys or decades?
And who have escaped custody & h/bn stopped for traffic offense, then they "deserve to be gunned down in the streets?"

Ted Bundy was the only one of above sentenced to death** so he = worst of the worst? LEOs c/gun him down in street?
The others were not sentenced to death, did not deserve to be gunned down in streets, so LEOs aren't allowed to shoot?

So it would be acceptable for LEOs to gun down in the streets, how many ppl, say, per year?
Trying to follow the line of thinking and do not think I get it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
* "died in the electric chair at Raiford Prison in Starke, Florida, on January 24, 1989." < per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy
** and who was executed by the state.

I just rewatched the vid and something occurred to me. At the point the video began Scott was facing forward, running. He continued forward and I didn't see him so much as look back.

Slagler was in what I would call target firing position... erect, legs slightly apart, gun in position. Yet he has said he thought his life was in danger. Don't they still teach LE defensive moves when under threat? Like taking cover and if no cover is available to assume a semi-crouch to reduce their body mass? If he thought he was in danger wouldn't you expect him to assume a more defensive position?.

Wow. Have you seen the video from Cottonwood, AZ, Walmart brawl? Large gang of suspects kept faking out cops by pretending to surrender and then charging them!

well, sorry everyone can't be carbon copy perfect, but they don't deserve to be shot down dead! Not when the cop can easily turn in the name, address etc. and let somebody else go pick him up, if he's scared for his own life. I'd rather some guy's house be surrounded by cops and have him tear gassed out, than him getting shot down in the street....
bbm sbm
Re bbm: 'somebody else' picking him up would be who --- other LEOs?
None of them w/be scared for their lives, regardless of whatev warrants are outstanding against the suspect?

Would LEOs 'picking him up' at home would be in less danger than LEOs at traffic stop?
Yes, because-
- suspect at own home would be more cooperative w LEOs w warrant, rather than at LEOs at traffic stop w no warrant.
or
- suspect w/not avail himself of objects designed as weapons (firearms, machetes, __ ) and
would use 'non-dedicated weapons' (baseball bats, crowbars, kitchen knives) to fend off attack.

Just wondering.

Apparently, in a police incident report a Sgt Gann mentions CPR being performed on Walter Scott. Some are saying that since we don't have video evidence of LE doing CPR that means that the police report is proof of a deliberate LE lie and perhaps a greater coverup.

I'm not convince of that yet.

I'm used to the anti-law enforcement rhetoric. Mr. Scott struggled with the officer and he tried to flee the scene. Some may lamely try to portray him as a model citizen but I don't buy it.

JMO

I'm a little late to the game. I've been so fed up with officer involved shootings, non stop cop bashing, and race baitong I've just stopped reading it.
But last night I finally watched the video. And it doesn't really matter what Walter did. I mean I could of power walked and caught him.
It's just sad. That officer really creeped me out. The way he looked over after he shot. The was he yelled at Walter to put his hands behind his back when Walter to me apeared to be dead all ready. Its beyond him being a bad cop. He looked like a psychopath.

So the psychopath is now the cop who issued orders rather than the deadbeat dad who refused to follow the orders and continued to flee with a taser probe protruding from his leg?

This case really has nothing to do with race. Cops pull over motorists of all races for faulty tail lights.

JMO

sbm bbm

I did not hear or read that but I've missed a number of vids and articles.
When did he say that? Was it recorded? In his LE report? Quoted in MSM? Link pls, anyone?

Are ppl interp'ing ^that to mean -
LEO claims Mr Scott has taser now, 'he's got' = present tense, ATM LEO was saying that?

Or from another perspective, is it possible
LEO said- 'he got my taser' - 'got' = past tense, 1, 2, 3, or 10 min. ago, he got taser out of my hand -
without regard to where taser is now - as LEO is relating chronology.

Not saying either way, just speculating or looking for link. Thx in adv.

He actually said "He grabbed my taser".

I remember that because at the time I thought what does that even mean? Did he grab it and let go? Did he grab it and then take off with it?

I'm used to the anti-law enforcement rhetoric. Mr. Scott struggled with the officer and he tried to flee the scene. Some may lamely try to portray him as a model citizen but I don't buy it.

JMO

Seems many think "fleeing" is perfectly natural and expected behavior. Maybe in a kindergarten classroom that sort of behavior would be normal and acceptable, when dealing with supposed adults I don't find it to be normal at ALL.

I personally would be all for going back to the pre-80's law and allowing LEO to shoot fleeing criminals, then we wouldn't have to debate the issue. Run from a cop and expect to get shot. It will remove the pesky gray area that causes all of the problems.

JMO

Pretty sure nobody is trying to nominate him for citizen of the year, ffs.

This is not necessarily meant toward you, MyBelle, as I've seen a couple of other members say the same type of thing... The nonchalance of accepting that an officer "should be able to" gun down a suspect who runs is mind numbingly frightening. I'm sincerely happy (general) you have not encountered "bad cops" but when you do encounter a bad cop, you never ever ever forget it. (And again, there are thousands of wonderful amazing officers. It's just that the bad ones are really bad)

They are in a position of authority and are supposed to be public servants. We aren't living in a police state. They are supposed to serve and protect. Not accuse, judge, and execute.

JMO

Speaking of rhetoric, no one has portrayed Scott as a model citizen. Not here and not his family.

The word lame can also be attached to this age old accusation imo - that anyone questioning LE's use of force must be the type of person that finds any crime ok. For me when I read this untrue accusation, it lowers my respect for LE in general.

So the psychopath is now the cop who issued orders rather than the deadbeat dad who refused to follow the orders and continued to flee with a taser probe protruding from his leg?

This case really has nothing to do with race. Cops pull over motorists of all races for faulty tail lights.

JMO

Is there a link to when former officer Slager issued orders? This has been asked for in a previous post, but still not produced.

OK So... If.. by chance, a big IF, I get pulled over and I know that the cops can not/will not shoot me what stops me from doing what ever I like/want? I mean if they are not going to shoot and I can out run them then I should be able to go about my business after I escape them. Take the money or purse or even ride around with faulty lights on my vehicle, but as long as I can out run them and I know they can't shoot me I am home free. I don't know if I want to live it that world. jmo idk

What is it you would be escaping from Ellley Mae? Without a reference, finding it hard to comprehend the relevance of you running from a traffic stop.

As Slager began stopping Scott at the intersection of Remount Road and Craig Road at about 9.35am, he radioed the dispatcher to say he was &#8220;coming up on a grey ... Mercedes&#8221;.

Exactly three minutes later, Slager radioed again to announce he was chasing on foot down Craig, giving his dispatcher a basic description of Scott. &#8220;Black male, green shirt, blue pants,&#8221; he said.

About 25 seconds later a colleague radioed to say he was &#8220;en route&#8221; to assist. Ten seconds on, there was another message &#8211; possibly from the same officer &#8211; asking Slager (&#8220;223&#8221;) &#8220;What&#8217;s your direction of travel there?&#8221;
After he received no response, this officer asked Slager again: &#8220;Where you at now?&#8221; Eight seconds later, however, there was a clue to why Slager may not have been responding. In a burst of confused radio chatter, an officer can be heard shouting &#8220;on the ground!&#8221;

The rest at link.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/08/south-carolina-walter-scott-shooting-audio-video

IDK I think he may get off. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member