School Parents Want 1st Grader W/ Peanut Allergy Sent Home/Home-Schooled

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My 6 yr old did ALL of those things. Yet through no fault of her own, a cookie that was supposed to be nut free, was wrapped in plastic and zipped in her backpack. Her friend, severely allergic, looked into a different pocket during girl scouts to see the project my kid brought, and within moments she was
gasping for air and her face was swollen and distorted. Her epi pen saved her.

Is it fair that my daughter would have to experience KILLING her friend accidentally with an innocent 6yr old mistake?
That's an interesting perspective.

Your child would be assured that it was not her fault, just as you said. She would know that from you and everyone around her. "Through no fault of her own" and she would understand and know that because she has a loving support network that would make certain of it.

But the girl didn't die, she had her epi pen as I am sure most with these types of allergies do.

They are little kids. What if one of them forgets a candy bar in the back pack or something of the sort and the little girl gets sick or worse?
I would guess the parents have weighed out these possibilities and have come up with a plan that works, including an emergency plan.

Perhaps I am being unfair. But I do know that IF my little girl had accidentally killed her friend that day, she would NOT be the same happy go lucky 18 yr old she is now.

And we had just moments to get that epi-pen in her. That is cutting it too close for my tastes.
I understand your feeling, I had the same horror when I found out my daughter nearly killed her 7-year-old "boyfriend" by giving him a peanut M&M. He recognized it at first bite and immediately spit it out before he had even 1/4 of it! She just thought it was a regular M&M, and also had given him chocolate coins made on an assembly-line with nuts before that! I felt so GUILTY, of all the kids to have that happen to! Thank God for stocking Benadryl!!!
(She had asked me if she could give him candy- but I hadn't checked out the specifics)...

Your child would be assured that it was not her fault, just as you said. She would know that from you and everyone around her. "Through no fault of her own" and she would understand and know that because she has a loving support network that would make certain of it.

But the girl didn't die, she had her epi pen as I am sure most with these types of allergies do.

I am not sure that it is that easy to convince a 6 yr old that it is not her fault when the other kids are yelling at her and the girl is blue and swollen, as the ambulance is driving up on the curb and they are running with the oxygen masks and the girls mom is crying. Those images were seared into her brain and she was inconsolable for a day or two. And that was because the girl recovered.
So it would have taken a lot more than a verbal reassurance that it wasn't her fault if her friend had died.

I am just saying that it is more complicated than just saying 'We will all wash our hands' and everything will be fine. It can be a pretty big burden on other innocent kids if things don't work out fine.

If you watch a child go into a seizure because you had a cookie in your backpack, and they actually died in front of you, with the whole class watching---it would take more than reassurance from your parents to make you feel okay again, imo.

It's probably because the girl is younger, and they're afraid that their kids will eat something with peanuts then touch a pencil, touch her hand, then she'll put that into/on her own mouth and have a reaction. The other parents should be willing to help as much as possible with going totally peanut free. It's also a good lesson for school friends to help each other, but I'd be asking for one specific teacher's aide to monitor all day long instead of forcing a child out of school. It's not very charitable to bellyache just because a bunch of kids have to wash their hands and be extra careful about what food products they take to school or eat beforehand.

I understand your feeling, I had the same horror when I found out my daughter nearly killed her 7-year-old "boyfriend" by giving him a peanut M&M. He recognized it at first bite and immediately spit it out before he had even 1/4 of it! She just thought it was a regular M&M, and also had given him chocolate coins made on an assembly-line with nuts before that! I felt so GUILTY, of all the kids to have that happen to! Thank God for stocking Benadryl!!!
(She had asked me if she could give him candy- but I hadn't checked out the specifics)...

Okay, so just expand that experience a bit. Imagine that he didn't spit it out, and later you walked into the family room where they were watching a tape, and you saw him gasping for air, turning blue, and with a very swollen face. Then your kid turns and sees him and starts screaming and crying. You run and grab the epi pen and stick him and call 911, and wait for a few frantic moments until he starts to catch his breath. But he is still weak and has labored breathing, and it feels like it is touch and go. Finally the medics arrive and you can take a breath again yourself.
Whole different scenario. And you might be a bit more reluctant to say it is just about people not wanting to be inconvenienced.
That was one of the worst days in my kid's life. She was frightened to death, yelled at by the other frightened kids, and traumatized. If that child had died my kid's childhood would have been in tatters as well. imo.

This seems very bizarre to me. A child can die simply from being in the same room as a another child who is wearing an outfit he wore when near peanuts? Or from breathing air that a peanut product has passed through? I have a food allergy - to oats. It's pretty bad but not as bad as it could get if I had further exposure. I try to be very careful but sometimes oats can be hidden (usually at restaurants or when not listed in the ingredients, like dates rolled in oats). That happens to me about once a year and it is not pretty. I can feel it within seconds. An itching on the lips, in the mouth and a raw feeling in those places, like the skin has been scraped. Then, I get hive-like blisters on my skin, palms of my hands, etc. The moment I feel the feeling in my mouth, I make myself vomit as much as I can. It's gross and horrid. But if I don't, oh, it's awful.

I also feel my throat start to swell and then every orifice hurts and itches. When it hits my digestive system, it seriously has me writhing on the floor in unimaginable pain. It feels like little rats gnawing on me from the inside out. It's true that my allergy has not progressed to where it could go. I don't even keep an epi-pen although the doctor did recommend and prescribe it. So, I have a hard time relating to some of this.

I know I will get bashed for this, and probably deservedly, due to my ingnorance, but is there a chance that some of these effects are psychosomatic? That's not to say that the symptoms would not be very real or very dangerous, because psychosomatic symptoms can be deadly, but is there a chance that, for example, the kid who breathed the hoodie air reacted that way because she found out the child had been on the plane?

My brother got poisoned as a child accidentally. After that, he could not go down a cleaning products aisle in the supermarket without flipping out and having a reaction. On two occasions after the poisoning, poison control had to be called because he believed he had been exposed to poisons again. I don't believe he had been. I think it was psychological.

If not, and a child could get a life-threatening reaction from breathing the same air that an article of clothing is in that had been near a peanut, such children likely would not make it to adulthood. (And about those peanut free flights, if peanuts had ever been on the plane, such a child would likely react almost immediately). There are just too many places where peanut products are.

Regardless, I think this kid should be able to go to school. I think the accommodations being asked of the other kids are annoying but not a huge price to pay. As far as a child accidentally causing a reaction or the death of the allergic child, that is the risk the parents of the child must take. I would rather live as normally as possible than live in an isolated bubble, even if living outside the bubble is a very huge risk and could shorten my life because life is not like real life when you can't live it at all.

But what about the psychological damage to a child who accidentally harms the allergic child? What if a student accidentally causes the allergic child's death? Should non-allergic kids be exposed to the risk of such a catastrophe? Well, most kids would feel very distraught but IMO, only the most sensitive of kids would have any kind of permanent damage that inhibits their ability to live normally, and there are ways to mitigate against such damage in any event. I think sheltering students from the possibility of such an occurrence is just as bad as forcing an allergic child to remain isolated. I don't know. It's tricky.

It's probably because the girl is younger, and they're afraid that their kids will eat something with peanuts then touch a pencil, touch her hand, then she'll put that into/on her own mouth and have a reaction. The other parents should be willing to help as much as possible with going totally peanut free. It's also a good lesson for school friends to help each other, but I'd be asking for one specific teacher's aide to monitor all day long instead of forcing a child out of school. It's not very charitable to bellyache just because a bunch of kids have to wash their hands and be extra careful about what food products they take to school or eat beforehand.

The school believes it has to accommodate the girl because her severe allergies qualify as disability. But don't the stores, etc, have to accommodate people with disabilities? Should that whole town became a "peanut free" zone?

Interesting article by a Harvard professor of pediatrics about the reality of and misconceptions about peanut allergies: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...ZjVj22&sig=AHIEtbSUVoaAHvDNHoMH5EcKmtcqFiqByQ

This suggests that anaphylaxis shock from airborne peanut protein particles is doubtful and from the odor of peanuts is improbable. It also suggests that merely touching something with peanuts would cause little more than a rash, which is what happens to me with oats if I put on lotion or something containing oats, which I have done accidentally.

That would have been tough for my hubby's kids. They grew up not eating meat and nuts were a major source of protein for them. They ate peanut butter sandwich's everyday. The grandkids don't eat meat either so beans and nuts are again major sources of their protein. Not sure what my DILs would do if the kids couldn't eat peanut butter.

Peanuts are a fantastic food source...and mighty tasty too!

I had met a woman whose child had a very deadly allergy, she moved out of state to seek help from a place where they slowly build immunity in the child with injections of "parts" of the chemical make-up of the allergen. If I recall correctly it was experimental but proved to be successful for her child. I think treatment took about 18 months.

If it were my child, he'd be signed up too.

Epi pens are terrific. But they don't always work. Sometimes it takes much more than one shot, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Having a Epi pen doesn't mean the child is guarenteed to live through it.

My first thought was that this shouldn't be a big deal... My son is in first grade, and I don't think the kids that age would mind taking trips to the bathroom to wash their hands. I know when I was in school, any time away from the classroom, even just a bathroom break, was like a breath of fresh air. As for rinsing out their mouths, I know my son's class takes trips to the water fountain for a drink. I know rinsing out the mouth would be a little more involved, but I just don't think anyone would mind or that it would be overly disruptive to have to take breaks to do these things throughout the day.

Plus, if it were my kid with the peanut allergy, I would want him to be able to go to school, learn to socialize, have friends, etc. Things you can't do so easily when you are homeschooled.

But then after reading some of the posts here, I agree that it's a really dangerous situation to put the child's life basically in the hands of 6-7 year old classmates. I guess I underestimated the seriousness, I've never personally been around anyone with such a severe allergy. A boy in my class in K and 1st had a peanut allergy, but all he had to do was bring his own snack and not eat anything that came from another student.

So now I don't know what I think lol. All I can say is that it really sucks for that poor little girl.

To be perfectly honest, if my child had such a severe allergy that any contact could result in death, I would make the choice to homeschool myself. I just wouldn't want to take the risk.

That makes more sense to me than requiring everyone else to make sure the one with the allergy is kept safe. Peanuts, or products thereof, seem to be everywhere. Better take the child out of school/home school, than try to take the peanut products out of everyone's lives.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this girl should be home schooled. Why is it up to the rest of the world, in this case school students, to suffer for one child's problems? Maybe it is time for people, like this child's parents to take responsibility, and not make everyone else jump through hoops.

I totally understand those who say that this child can't help her condition and that she has the right to attend school and play with others. But the effects of this child being present in open school are far reaching. Her presence forces changes in lifestyle, not only for the children in her class, but also for their families, their out of school friends, ect.

Is it fair to keep the child out of school? Is it fair to ask everyone who comes into contact with this child to change their lives to enable this child to attend?

Tough choices! Guess that is the point here. Her parents have the 'choice' to send her to school. The other children attending that school and their families have no choice about keeping her safe by changing their lives. :waitasec:

Peanuts are a fantastic food source...and mighty tasty too!

I had met a woman whose child had a very deadly allergy, she moved out of state to seek help from a place where they slowly build immunity in the child with injections of "parts" of the chemical make-up of the allergen. If I recall correctly it was experimental but proved to be successful for her child. I think treatment took about 18 months.

If it were my child, he'd be signed up too.

My brother is keeping an eye on that, thinking about it for his daughter.

We live near several Five Guys, and if you've ever been to one, you know that you can eat peanuts while waiting in line. People weren't too careful about not dropping the peanut shells and it became something associated with the store. Then a sign appeared saying that a neighborhood child had a peanut allergy and could the patrons please put the peanut shells in the trash and also not take the peanuts to the outside tables. One day I was eating out there with my son when I saw a lady eating the peanuts and throwing the shells on the ground. I pointed out the sign to her and she got mad and yelled, saying she was a nurse and there was no way a peanut shell could kill a child. Another patron at another table chimed in, saying that what if a peanut shell got stuck to the bottom of a shoe and ended up in their home, etc, etc. The lady begrudgingly threw the peanuts away...

Honestly, I do think it's just common human decency to do what you can, considering the minor inconvenience this causes others -- compared to what these people live with on a daily basis.

What parent would knowingly buckle their own child, in a car seat, in a car, that was going to be driven by another 6 year old? No one. To me, it's the same thing. I don't understand how her mother can mentally manage to send her off to possibly die everyday, if someone doesn't do something as simple as washing their hands well.

I understand the mother of the allergic child would like her to go off to school like other children. She wants her daughter to feel normal. Well guess what? She is not normal, she needs to be taught that she isn't normal. She needs to be taught to eventually safeguard herself if she ever hopes to go out into the world.

What parent would knowingly buckle their own child, in a car seat, in a car, that was going to be driven by another 6 year old? No one. To me, it's the same thing. I don't understand how her mother can mentally manage to send her off to possibly die everyday, if someone doesn't do something as simple as washing their hands well.

I understand the mother of the allergic child would like her to go off to school like other children. She wants her daughter to feel normal. Well guess what? She is not normal, she needs to be taught that she isn't normal. She needs to be taught to eventually safeguard herself if she ever hopes to go out into the world.

Linda, I am not attacking you or your post so if it comes off that way, I apologize.
Now what if every parent who had a handicapped child decided to tell their child they are NOT normal? That would be just sad. Look at that wrestler with one leg who just won the championship. What if his parents restricted him and told him he was NOT normal? He would've just hid away and felt sorry for himself.
I understand it is risky for her to go to school, but I don't really think what these "normal" kids go through daily is that bad. It's not like they are being scrubbed down before entering the class room. They are washing their hands and rinsing their mouths. (Very good hygiene practices anyway)

There is a little girl that joined my son's class (Head Start) mid-year. She has a severe peanut allergy, and a note was sent home not to allow peanut products to come into the school. Her allergy is only to ingestion, so as long as it's not edible, the school doesn't have a problem with it.
Obviously, there are no foods with peanuts or peanut oils served in class, and any parent that sends in peanut foods will have their child removed from class pending a meeting (seriously).
For comparison, my son has a severe intolerace to grape juice. It literally goes right through him, to the point where he often has to be hospitalized for dehydration if he drinks it. He has been in the hospital three times this year because the school will not stop serving grape juice and they don't supervise well enough to keep him from drinking other kids grape juice. There are no special precautions in place for his health, and his condition is as life threatening as the child with the peanut allergy.

Here's what I'm getting at. The school knows that grape juice can kill my son. The school of the child in this story knows that peanuts can kill this child. Yet, there are no special precautions in place to help my son. We simply have to trust that he will not be exposed. SO far, they have failed miserably. Yet, I make the choice to still send my son and seek medical treatment when necessary, so that he will be prepared to stay away from the product on his own when he gets older. If it were an allergy that would immediately threaten his life, such as an allergy to peanuts that required hand and mouth washing of every person around him, I would remove him from school. Because his disability is too severe for him to be safe in the school environment. And if the other little girls disability were so severe that he would have to take these precautions, I would request a transfer of classes. Because I would not allow my five year old to feel that he had killed someone over a simple mistake.

I'm sorry, but the parents allowing a child with that severe an allergy to attend a regular school is dangerous to that child's health, and to the mental health of the other students at the school. Would they send a hemophiliac child to regular school, or a child that had a fatal alllergy to cleaning products? No. Because it wouldn't be possible to adequately protect that child. Special needs children often require around the clock care. The allergic child is one of those cases and it is up to her PARENTS to provide it. Not the school and a all of the other kids that attend that school. JMO.

Linda, I am not attacking you or your post so if it comes off that way, I apologize.
Now what if every parent who had a handicapped child decided to tell their child they are NOT normal? That would be just sad. Look at that wrestler with one leg who just won the championship. What if his parents restricted him and told him he was NOT normal? He would've just hid away and felt sorry for himself.
I understand it is risky for her to go to school, but I don't really think what these "normal" kids go through daily is that bad. It's not like they are being scrubbed down before entering the class room. They are washing their hands and rinsing their mouths. (Very good hygiene practices anyway)

I think there's a difference in the situations. There's a thin line between life or death in the peanut situation.

What resources does the State of Florida offer for homeschooling? For example, since this is a recognized and diagnosed disability, could they get subsidized for a home tutor?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back